Sun Village - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Sun Village
No picture.

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 06-25-2011

Ratings: 18 | Reviews: 5
4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

The Sun Village brewed once a year at the brewpub, a hoppy summer wheat (Amarillo hops in use), I think it's loosely based off of the style a Hop Sun or more likely Gumballhead from Three Floyd's. Looks pale copper bright white head, looks great in the glass with fine lacing spread around the sides. Aroma has bright citrus notes with a touch of mango and tropical fruit notes. Flavor is perfect for session drinking however the 7.3% abv is well hidden so beware. I'm splitting a growler a couple pints of this one is perfect. Well hopped, ample bitterness a bit of dankness with juicy hops surrounding the edges, tropical fruit, crushed aspirin, citrus notes. Mouthfeel is medium bodied even carbonation, goes down great a bit of slick hop oils to lubricate the palate finishes nice and dry from the hop bitterness. Probably the best hoppy beer I've had from Jackie O's so far, if they ever can it I will buy it.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Growler was obtained on 7/29/2010 from Jackie O's.

This was poured into a SA Perfect Pint glass. Has a average white fluffy head, and appears a slightly cloudy yellow color.

Nose has notes of black pepper, wheat and citrus. Not overpowering, but inviting. The taste is fairly light flavored, good amounts of wheat, citrus and again the spices. Finishes nicely with a good bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, average carbonation and is very dry. Overall, this is a nice summer offering, very enjoyable on a hot day and it goes down very easily. Probably wouldn't have gotten this if it was my choice, but I told my friend to grab two growlers of whatever, since she lives about a minute from Jackie O's and was coming up to visit. That being said, I'm glad she grabbed this one, definitely enjoyable tonight.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at Jackie O's last weekend. Interesting that the other reviewers haven't enjoyed this beer, as I thought it was quite good.

Pours a hazy light apricot color with a good fluffy white head that leaves some sticky lacing as it goes down. The nose brings forward a mild amount of wheat along with some good citrus character and a bit of orange rind. The flavor has good citrus character atop a wheat base. Light body with good carbonation and a really nice bitterness in the finish. Well done.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

It's harder for me to review wheats, they aren't my favorite.

Appearance - Yellow amber, a little cloudy.

Smell - Mild hop flower, grapefruit, citrus rind, grain.

Taste - Bitter hop & citrus, with the wheat sneaking through.

Mouthfeel - dry

Overall - I do not really care for wheat beers, but I seem to like Brads' more than most. I almost loose what ever it is that I don't like about wheats when he uses this beer as a base for some summer fun!

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

On tap at Jackie O's on the night before the June release.

I ordered up a full pint of this stuff, but that was before I realized I should have been getting samples.

Appearance
This hazed beer has a bruised-fruit shade of orange that sits below a soapy head that leaves lots of tight lacing.

Aroma
Very spicy. The wheat is coming through in a snappy, spicy way. Citrus is there, but its a bitter, rind-like, zesty type of citrus.

Taste
Very snappy, wheat is pretty strong. It moves into a bitter yet juicy citrus middle before continuing onto a grainy finish.

Mouthfeel
Very, very dry. The body is light and the carbonation is pretty lively. It finishes fairly clean.

Overall
I think this base version is lacking some of the vibrancy and fresh liveliness that the other two variations have in spades. But this beer has proven itself to be a great base for some excellent summery variations.

Sun Village from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery