Cherry Wood Ya Honey - Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Cherry Wood Ya HoneyCherry Wood Ya Honey

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Wheatwine |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Urbancaver on 12-02-2011)
Reviews by kbuzz:

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MrHirschybar!

A murky dark red, nearly brown, with a somewhat small light khaki colored head that doesn't leave much stick on the glass.

A nice aroma that combines earthy hops, tart cherry, a bit of sweet honey, and a bit of alcohol warmth.

The flavor too is successful, with the honey, cherry, wood, and bitter hops combining nicely.

Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. While not at all a distraction, I think more carbonation would increase the drinkability.

A very nice, flavorful, and certainly unique wheatwine.

03-13-2012 01:50:02 | More by ehammond1

12-04-2011 21:03:03 | More by Photekut
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Shared by cmrillo during BRoss242’s send-off party before he moves! Will miss you man! Bottle #173 of 204! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a ruby red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, cherry, wood, sugar, fruit, and honey. The flavor was of sweet malt, cherry, wood, sugar, tart cherry, alcohol, and honey. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. I can honestly say that the name of this brew is pretty much spot on with the aroma and flavor as you get all of those aspects right up front. However, I did find it a little on the sweet side. Unfortunately I don’t eat sweets often at all so this was a bit of a turnoff for me. Worth trying/ticking if you have not done so, but I wouldn’t trade all your whales for it even with this low of a bottle count.

09-04-2012 11:31:17 | More by thagr81us
shrek806

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a deep reddish brown with little to no head and a sticky lacing that made a pattern similar to the finger lakes of NY on my glass.

The smell is awesome. Cherries and Bourbon pop right out. It smells like a barrel aged NG Belgian Red. There is a hint of sweet and sour in my nose.

The taste just explodes in my mouth. Cherries and cranberries pop right out. The finish is sour with a definite bourbon burn. Something else I can't place. A weird numbing taste in the back of my mouth.

The mouthful is bubbly and vibrant with an alcohol flush and that taste I just can't place again.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I am not a fruit beer fan usually, but this has a nice balance.

11-01-2012 19:13:31 | More by shrek806
oline73

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

I had this during a tasting this past weekend. Poured into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy reddish dark amber color with a layer of off white head. The head fades rather quickly.

Smell: Cherry and oak are the dominant aromas with the fruit accentuating the malt sweetness. There is some alcohol heat at the end.

Taste: I had this right after trying the regular version. The cherry fills the gap from the missing body to balance out the oak and bourbon. The finish is warm and full of bourbon. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium with a tingle of carbonation. The finish is dry and a bit slick at the same time.

01-16-2012 00:44:48 | More by oline73
Etan

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz bottle sent to me by dudeabide (thanks!), poured into a tulip. Bottle #59/204.

A: Pours a dark red-tinged brown with a nice off-white head.

S: Lots of raw honey, cooked sugar, coconut, vanilla, dried plum, chocolate, sweet alcohol. Rich and sweet, how I like it. No trace of cherries yet.

T: Caramel, vanilla, coconut, oak, slightly tart cherry, tannic bitterness, breath of honey. The cherry flavor cuts through the sweetness of the wheatwine and definitely dries it out a bit with an acidic bite.

M: Almost thick-bodied with slight carbonation. The acidity of the cherries is palpable.

O: This could work very well, but the cherries are a bit too tart and end up clashing with the base beer. While good, I'd be curious to try the regular Wood Ya Honey.

09-02-2012 22:41:25 | More by Etan
claspada

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a slightly hazy dark reddish amber/light brown color with a small thin layer of off-white head which fades instantly to nothingness.

Aromas begin quite boozy and artificially fruity wih the cherry and boozy oak dominanting. There is an underlying toasted bready and sweet caramel base but the barrel really overpowers everything.

The taste follow the nose unfortunately with prodominant oak, fusel alcohol and cherry cough syrup. Some lighter vanilla and caramel sweetness show up mid-palate but this is all hootch.

The mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied with low carbonation. The finish is warm and full of alcohol and syrupy sweetness.

Overall this is nothing more than a booze bomb for me. Just a vehile for bourbon like so many of the other Jackie-O's releases. If I want bourbon, I'll drink bourbon. I much prefer my beers balanced with the barrel adding accents opposed to a full onslaught like this beer does.

08-23-2012 19:46:38 | More by claspada
DarthKostrizer

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

05-10-2013 02:05:31 | More by DarthKostrizer
DavoleBomb

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

4 oz. sampler at JO's 6th Anniversary. I made damn good review notes, but then I lost them. Bear with me on this. This is the base for Bourbon Berry Grove, which is one of my favorite JO's brews. This beer isn't appreciably different than the regular Would Ya, so I'm copying my review of that and adding as necessary.

4.0 A: Dark amber color. Came with just a touch of creamy beige head. Same here as the regular.

5.0 S/ 5.0 T: Wonderful nose on this! Both incredibly fruity and spicy. Fruitiness comes in the form of overripened apple, strawberry, peach, and peach. The honey acts to strengethen the fruitiness. Surpringly a lot of peppery spiciness in this with supplementary generic spice. It's hard to tell whether the yeast, the bourbon, or a combo made this as spicy as it is. Bourbon adds that last layer of complexity with leather, plenty of earth, a light vanilla, and woodiness. Multiple people at the release stated that the cherry in this was subtle. I did not find that to be true. I though it had a nice cherry punch to it and it was all the improved due to it.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good almost spritzy carbonation. I just wish it was a little thicker and creamier.

5.0 D: One hell of a beer. I didn't get to try the Bourbon Berry Grove at this release, but this might be even better than that.

12-05-2011 00:48:46 | More by DavoleBomb