Joe Beef Special Pils - Bierbrier Brewing Inc.

Joe Beef Special PilsJoe Beef Special Pils

Bierbrier Brewing Inc. visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Joe Beef Special Pils was created by Bierbrier for the renowned Montreal restaurant Joe Beef.

Chef-owners David McMillan and Fred Morin wanted a beer to capture the essence of their restaurant located in the heart of Little Burgundy. An homage to Charles "Joe-Beef" McKiernan, 19th century innkeeper and Montreal working class hero and a drunken crawl away from the Historic Atwater market.

The Joe Beef Special Pils is our distinctive crisp and thirst-quenching pilsner lager in a unique 500ml bottle with plenty of character.

(Beer added by: Sneers on 07-16-2012)
Reviews by wizo:
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

wizo, Mar 15, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Bierbrier "JOE BEEF Special Pils"
341 ml. brown glass bottle, black label, no apparent freshness date
$8 @ Joe Beef, 2491, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, Montréal, Québec

I made the mistake of not buying this at the Fromagerie du Marche Atwater earlier in the day, and just a few blocks away - I could have saved a fair amount of Canadian dollars, but OK, when you buy alcohol at a bar or restaurant you're also paying for the ambiance, so I can't complain (except that I just did so without saying it - except that I just did).

It's a decent enough beer, and better than the Bierbrier Premium Ale that I had on draft across the street at the Pub Burgundy Lion just prior. I still object to the price (but I'm not complaining ;) And I also feel that although it was OK, if Allison, David and Fred are so deeply entrenched in the gustatory arts why would they not have a beer in addition to this one? One that offered a little more character? If you can have only one, OK, I guess I can see that as Pils fits with all kinds of foods. But also, why not put it on tap?

Here are my notes: Clear golden body beneath a creamy bright white head that displays excellent head retention, slowly dropping to a solid surface covering, and then leaving spotty, broken lace behind (very good, but not excellent). The aroma and the flavor are basically one in the same, which is not unusual: clean, somewhat grainy malt and grassy/floral hops are balanced by a median bitterness. It's very rounded and balanced. It finishes dry with some malt followed by lingering grassy hops and bitterness. Overall: OK, good, perhaps better. It's fresh and clean. It's a quality beer but it's not that exciting - it doesn't make me want to try to burn down the firehouse.

NeroFiddled, Oct 09, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

BrunoPettipas, Jul 19, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

This is the house beer at Montreal's great Joe Beef restaurant, brewed just for them by Bierbrier.

The beer pours brilliantly clear, and it looked straw-yellow, but the restaurant was pretty dark.

This was one of the hoppier pilsners I've had. The aroma was mostly of spicy, zesty noble hops, with just a touch of maltiness. The flavor follows suit, but the maltiness is a little less muted- a nice bready, grainy flavor emerges. It's very clean, finishes dry.

The carbonation was lively and the beer was crisp and dry. It was particularly effective at clearly away a particularly fatty dish we were eating.

I'm often skeptical about these kinds of "house beers" but my suspicions were ungrounded here (I doubt Fred and David would allow bad beer to be sold here). Joe Beef's Special Pils is a fine beer.

Sneers, Jul 16, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

NDG07, Jul 25, 2013
Joe Beef Special Pils from Bierbrier Brewing Inc.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.