Paradise Valley Grapefruit Ale - Whistler Brewing Company

Paradise Valley Grapefruit AleParadise Valley Grapefruit Ale

Whistler Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BDTyre on 06-04-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by rugbykimmie:
rugbykimmie

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

When I first saw this in stores, I was intrigued. I've never been a fan of grapefruit anything, but I thought, what the heck.

First time I had it was in a bottle. Poured a hazy amber-yellow colour with a thin off-white head. Nice amount of carbonation, and smelled nice and citrusy...maybe even a little bready. The flavour surprised me though. I was expecting more grapefruit flavour, but honestly, I mostly got citrus and hops. I liked it though. Enough that I sought out a local pub that had it on tap.

On tap: Same hazy colour, but better carbonation. The aroma was much more prominent and the flavor was stronger. The same citrus and hops flavour was noticable, but this time, I could actually taste a hint of grapefruit. I'd say, if you were thinking about giving this beer a go, try it on tap first. It's far better.

Overall, an excellent summer beer. Whistler did a really good job with this one, I think.

09-11-2011 22:47:03 | More by rugbykimmie
JohnnyBarman

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Single bottle from BC Craft Brewers mixed pack at the LCBO.

Poured into a small nonic. Hazy caramel orange, with a half-inch of foam that recedes all too quickly into the thinnest of rings.

Nose is sweet grapefruit, malt, citrus, a bit of spice. Not too bad.

Sweeter than I'd expected. The grapefruit is certainly there, though it becomes less apparent the further I get through the bottle. By the end, what I really get is a sweet citrus ale, which leans more towards oranges and sweet grapefruit. There's a mild vegetable taste to the very end of each sip that I'm not digging, but on the whole it's not bad.

Mouthfeel is certainly very nice - medium thickness, with a nice balanced carbonation. Not over fizzy, so it doesn't end up feeling like a grapefruit soda.

Not bad, I suppose. Certainly something that would go down extremely well on a patio in the heat. Still, quite sweet and rarely something I'd seek out.

08-12-2013 21:30:57 | More by JohnnyBarman
MJ63

11-05-2013 22:20:23 | More by MJ63
intoxabroad

Taiwan

08-31-2013 03:30:49 | More by intoxabroad
biboergosum

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

330ml bottle. A new-ish offering from Whistler now available in Alberta.

This beer pours a hazy, medium golden amber colour, with a teeming amount of bubbly, fizzy, and loosely foamy pale beige head, which leaves but a few faint specks of lace around the glass as it hastily subsides.

It smells of sweet orange-infused birthday cake, although more grapefruit than orange, actually (can't think of too many grapefruit cakes in my party-attending history), with some reverie-jolting bitter floral, weedy hops. The taste is more lightly tart and grainy than sweet and bready, with some flat, aged grapefruit juice, and mild spent floral hops.

The bubbles are fairly reserved, perhaps having blown their wad at the outset, the body a decent fruity medium weight, if only a tad cloying in its version of smoothness. It finishes mostly sweet, the neutered citrus still outshining the unassertive grainy malt.

Well more 'grapefruity' than I was anticipating, though on the flip side of those bitter, tart notes so familiar from IPAs and the breakfast staple. Drinkable enough, I suppose, for all yer patio occasions - so helpfully suggested on the label - as it is kind of an entry level citrus fruit ale, i.e. not too crisp or challenging.

06-28-2012 02:24:24 | More by biboergosum
souvenirs

2.19/5  rDev -35.6%

341ml bottle poured into a pint glass. From a six-pack bought at the BC Liquor Store.

A: cloudy honey brown with lots of head that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing.
S: Unappealing. Like stomach acid. I guess that's the grapefruit? I do pick up grapefruit at the end, but that's after I've been hit by this stronger and more unpleasant odour. I'm sorry to say it, but honestly, it makes me kind of nauseous.
T: If I can somehow manage to taste it without smelling it, it's sort of not bad. I do taste the grapefruit, and not a whole lot else, but I'm trying so hard not to smell it that I'm not picking up much.
M: Like flat pop.

Very disappointing, as I've really enjoyed Whistler's Chai-Maple Ale and Bear Paw Honey Lager.

06-27-2013 05:02:40 | More by souvenirs
Rutager

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance. Pours a slightly hazy yellow-amber with a little pink as the previous reviewer noted. Thin pale yellow head that doesn't last long.

Smell. Light grains and plenty of pink grapefruit. Just a hint of floral hops. A little wet dog in there.

Taste. Pink grapefruit juice ...lots of it too. A little toasty light grain and a bit of grassy/citrus hops.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with medium light carbonation.

Overall. I like a good fruit beer, but this is way over the top with grapefruit for me. Not a bad beer, but you better love grapefruit. Luckily I do and would hapilly drink another pint of this on a hot summer day.

06-29-2011 00:42:36 | More by Rutager
ThinkAgain

08-28-2013 01:23:39 | More by ThinkAgain
CookstLiquor

2.98/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a 341ml bottle. Pours a cloudy orange-brown colour. You definitely get a decent whiff of grapefruit on the nose, it just doesn't smell tempting, fresh and vibrant. There's also a hint of malt mingled in, which kind of competes with the grapefruit rather than enhance it. The taste is similarly conflicted. You get some honeyed grapefruit flavours and a little bit of sweet malt. In contrast to some of the grapefruit IPAs out there, this just doesn't put the grapefruit at the forefront enough, nor support it with flavours that are complementary.

04-30-2013 22:15:37 | More by CookstLiquor
ssmack

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

330 ml bottle from a BC craft beer sampler 6 pack.

A cloudy dark amber colour. At best there is a quarter inch head that quickly becomes a slick and then disappears totally. Fast streams of bubbles that do nothing to maintain a head. No lacing at all.

The aroma is quite weak. Biscuit with a whiff of steel.

There it is ... the flavours are all in the taste. Toffee and biscuit malt and sweetened overripe grapefruit. A slightly sour aftertaste.

A medium to light mouthfeel.

I expected bitter grapefruit and hop bitterness. I got a malty ale with ripe, sweet fruit. No bad.

08-19-2013 23:58:21 | More by ssmack
mwilbur

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured on-tap in Whistler.
A: Pours a nice golden yellowish-orange with 2 inch off-white head.
S: Bright and fresh citrus notes...especially orange and grapefruit.
T: Spicy citrus notes...orange more so than grapefruit again. A hint of malt backbone provides some nice balance.
M: Crisp and fresh mild-moderate hop bite. Hint of smooth malt and a moderate amount of carbonation tingle.
D: A very pleasant surprise! I was expecting a stronger grapefruit presence and I was a bit leery since I am not a huge grapefruit fan. However, this proved to be a very refreshing and highly drinkable brew. A nice summer beer.

07-15-2012 02:05:48 | More by mwilbur
spinrsx

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

341ml Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO

Appearance - Hazy amber colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 3 minutes.

Smell - Breads/grains, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste breads/grains mixed with some grapefruit. There is also a bit of corn and grass.

Overall - Not a bad fruit beer by any means. Not something I'd drink a whole lot of, but worth a try for sure.

08-14-2013 01:22:39 | More by spinrsx
RedAleMan

09-08-2013 19:11:36 | More by RedAleMan
philmen

07-30-2012 02:07:14 | More by philmen
thehyperduck

3.23/5  rDev -5%

330 mL bottle from the LCBO, courtesy of the BC Craft Brewers Guild sampler. Fruit beers aren't exactly my preferred style, but grapefruit ales typically fare well with me. I like the sleek, upscale bottle on this one, too. Served well-chilled.

Pours a deep amber orange colour, opaque with haze and topped with a half-finger of soapy, white head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is acidic, and at times almost metallic. Minimal grapefruit on the nose - in fact, minimal everything, as I can barely even pick out any individual aromas. Just some citrus, some generic sweet maltiness, and steel. Not a great way to start things off.

Not a bad-tasting ale, though I admit it took a few sips for my palate to make sense of this one as the flavour can be a bit muddled. Some bready, grainy malts and honey sweetness comes through at first, followed by lots of pink grapefruit pulp, in addition to a lemony orange citrus flavour. A little vegetal toward the finish, with a wisp of coriander and floral hops completing the profile. The grapefruit in this one is less pronounced/concentrated than in a lot of the radler-type beers I've tried previously, with more of a focus on malts and sweetness. On the light side of medium-bodied, with fairly strong carbonation and very fine bubbles that give this brew a somewhat spritzy mouthfeel; however, the brew also has a syrupy nature that conflicts with this. Easy enough to drink quickly, and I could see myself tossing back at least 2 of these outside on a hot patio before it became tiresome.

Final Grade: 3.23, a passable C+. Paradise Valley Grapefruit Ale is a serviceable fruit beer, but it's just not the sort of thing I can see myself drinking large quantities of - certainly not in early autumn, and probably not in the summer, either. I could see this being reasonably refreshing in hot weather, and to be totally fair, I respect the fact that this particular ale nicely balances its 'fruit' aspects and its ' beer' aspects. That being said, it just isn't doing it for me - this is too sweet and lacks the pleasant tart bitter flavour I love about this fruit. Needless to say, if I want some grapefruit in my beer, I'll probably reach for Stiegl Radler next time.

09-29-2013 12:13:31 | More by thehyperduck
cfalovo97

08-22-2013 14:15:19 | More by cfalovo97
bumchilly25

4.25/5  rDev +25%

05-13-2012 19:18:21 | More by bumchilly25
andrenaline

4.08/5  rDev +20%

Props to my bro for the tasty selection...

A - Pours a murky hazy orange, finger of head with some retention and no real lacing.

S - Very fruity, with the sour citrus notes coming through nicely alongside some bready malts and musty wheat.

T - The grapefruit comes through nicely and is reminiscent of a sourdough bread with a touch of sweetness, quite citrusy and the wheat flavours give it a nice backbone.

M - A tad lighter and could come across a tad thin, though smooth and wet on the finish.

O - A great summer ale that would be perfectly suitable for patio drinking or backyard barbecue. Highly recommended if its available in your neighbourhood!

03-15-2012 18:28:41 | More by andrenaline
leaddog

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance - Pours a foggy shade of ruby red grapefruit juice with a 1/4 finger width of bubbly head.

Smell - Grapefruit, other citrus, slight hops. Smells a lot like grapefruit juice.

Taste - Tart grapefruit upfront along with lemon and light hops.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Crisp and dry.

Overall - An enjoyable fruit ale by Whistler. I didn't know what to expect with the grapefruit, but I find that it is well balanced in the brew. A definite summer refresher.

05-27-2012 03:32:49 | More by leaddog

08-14-2013 22:38:13 | More by Pmicdee
wordemupg

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

330ml bottle poured into tulip 24/5/12

A murky pinkish orange, a fast falling two finger head leaves no lace, nice color though and loads of tiny particles and slow moving bubbles, looks thick

S lots of tangerine and pink grapefruit with some floral and spicy hops

T lots of pink grapefruit rind and it tastes real unlike many fruit beers, there was more too the nose but still pretty good

M fairly heavy with good carbonation, feels thick and creamy with a juicy aftertaste

O pretty good for a fruit beer I rather enjoyed it, its not going to be for everybody but it's treating me well right now

perhaps its sad that the best thing I've had from these guys is a grapefruit ale, either way I could sink a few of these on a patio

05-25-2012 17:22:03 | More by wordemupg