Valley Trail Chestnut Ale - Whistler Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 50 | Reviews: 17
Reviews by wordemupg:
3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip 21/7/13

A hazy brownish amber, a few bubbles feeding a short lived dark tan film that’s gone in no time leaving some polka dot lace

S nuttella, chocolate milk, vanilla, bottle says chestnut but I get hazelnut and almond butter with a little coco powder

T more of the same really with a handful of pennies I didn’t smell, still very nutty but toned down just a little

M lighter side of medium, slightly creamy and faint nutty coco lingers

O decent but nothing special tastes a little fake, an overly nutty brown ale

I doubt I’d bother again but wouldn’t turn one down if offered, thanks for sharing Trevor and Mike

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

650ml bottle. Maybe one to save for lounging around a Christmas Day fireplace, but it's got plenty of company in Alberta for that indulgence. Even the label marketing pap suggests this as a fall accompaniment, so I'm just splitting the difference. Thoughts of autumn in Italy arise when I delve deeper into what this particular eponymous roasted nut means to me.

This beer pours a deep, brick-like ruddy amber hue, with two fingers of densely foamy, silken beige head, which renders a few arched swaths of lace around the glass as it gently sinks away.

It smells quite pungently of sweet chestnut butter, some further hazelnut cream essences, an initially overlooked big-ass caramel/toffee malt, a bit of mildly astringent oakiness, and very subtle spiced fruit, possible of the embedded bready sort, maybe. The taste is more sweet mixed nut bowl goodness, generally chestnut and hazelnut, rolled somewhat over top of a still hearty caramel/Toffifay malt backbone, some subtle woody vanilla, mild earthy spice, and nicely supportive leafy, floral hops.

The carbonation is actually rather sublime, i.e. there, but not at the same time, ya know? Anyway, the body maintains a hefty medium weight through all of this, and is pretty smooth, nothing really possessing the will or the means to mess with it. It finishes sweet, but not over or cloyingly so, as the breadiness, spice and hops see to that, in each of their low-fi ways.

Wow - this has fastened zippers and unexpected scarves written all over it. Definitely more of a too-cool (multiple meanings, ooooh!) autumn sojourn than winter snow day indoor frolics. Get this, get this now, and revel in the nutty goodness, before I get all middle school on yo ass, or rather your, um, nuts...

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

I have never liked a Whistler brewIng beer. On principle. It is exactly the same beer as Bowen Island brewing (which is decent beer mind you, at $8/6 pack), only repackaged and charged an ADDITIONAL $4/6 pack. Bullshit!

Anyway this special edition isn't available in a more affordable Bowen version.

Poured from the 650ml bottle into my big ale stein

A: pours a dark amber, minimal off white head.
S: sweet vanilla, caramel, chocolate, roasted nuts: chestnuts, almonds, pecans. Desert. Hint of spicy hops.
T: caramel, caramel and more caramel. Good thing I love caramel. Roasted nuts and vanilla. Reminds me a bit of a tootsie roll. Delicious, but a bit too sweet for my liking. The hop choice is a good one. I would have loved to taste something more to help balance out the candy quality of this beer.
M: great carbonation and creaminess for this style.
O: with all the great flavours goon on here, this is an incredibly drinkable and interesting brew. If you like that sort of thing. I would have loved for the sweetness to have been cut down a bit. I would have been damn near perfect for me if it had.

4.31/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Bowen Island Pub during a day trip to Bowen Island. I definitely enjoyed this more than the Bowen Island Lager I also had while there.

A: "Chestnut" brown, red when held to the light. Maybe a finger or a bit less of head.
S: Vanilla, sweet caramel.
T: Nutty, sweet, very enjoyable.
F: Crisp, not overly heavy.
O: I would definitely get this again.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

It has a nice dark colour and offers a firm head. Take a whiff of this beer and you know it's something special. Chestnut, Chocolate and Vanilla notes practically punch you in the face. This is one of the more aromatic beers I'd tasted in a while. Those same attributes are there on the tongue but slightly more subdued and the vanilla and caramel really come to the fore front. A great start to the winter beer season.

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

I've had this in the fridge since the fall, but never seemed to get around to it.

A: Copper-bronze with an off-white head, very little retention but it shows a little leg.

S: Strong caramel aroma with some underlying toffee and nuts with a hint of fruity esters and woodsy spice.

T: Caramel, biscuit, light nuttyness, woodsy spicing (willamette?), figgy pudding, modest bitterness.

M: Moderate body has a light (but pleasant) residual sweetness.

D/O: It's not off-the-wall, but nicely integrated. I should've had this over christmas.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This one came as a total surprise, both in the appearance, the smell and definitely the taste! Picked up a 650 mL bottle at Sherbrooke on a Christmas visit up in Edmonton. Opened it up about a week later in front of warm fire in my house when my Mom came to visit for New Years. It poured a nice light brown and I was immediately hit with chestnut and chocolate, it smelled very sweet. Lovely head, very faint lacing. I took a swig and immediately I knew that this one was different from anything I'd ever had. It was sweet, maybe too sweet, but something about it had me hooked. I even offered my mother a sip and being that non beer drinker that she is, I wasn't sure what to expect from her reaction. She told me she liked it. I would have to agree with her. It's a pretty solid brew and more of a winter seasonal warmer than a fall seasonal. I can see this being a good beer to have with a nice Christmas dessert, and not an every day drinker.

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a chestnut brown/red with a finger width of cream-coloured head.

Smell - Medley of sweet nut aromas including chestnut and almond, light leafy hop, bready and cereal-like malts, and a hint of vanilla.

Taste - Corresponds with the initial smell; lots of sweet nut flavours along with vanilla, bready malts and leafy hops.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with light to moderate carbonation.

Overall - A nut-based ale that lives up to its name in both aroma and flavour. Chestnut, almond and other nut aromas/flavours are quite prominent, making this brew a very tasty one.

Love to see a Fall seasonal that is not a Pumpkin Ale or a OK Fest beer. This is a tawny brown beer with the strong nose of caramel and chestnuts. It is a well balanced amber ale ( not quite malty enough for a brown ale) with lots of caramel and that nutty chestnut flavour on the finish. A nice full mouthfeel makes this a well put together beer that goes well with the bigger and richer foods of the fall season

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer is not retired - it's a seasonally brewed. Quite sweet, must been an acquired taste. Nut flavor presents itself nicely, with a backing of Vanilla. A good choice for a tasty "holidays" beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

deep rich pour but holy hell too heavy on the vanilla. it masks the more subtle chestnut.
the nose is crazy caramel sweet. too much for me.
if they had just held back a smidge this would be a solid fall bevie

A: "Chestnut" brown
S: Toasted caramel
T: Nutty, sweet, extremely enjoyable.
F: Crisp, not overly heavy.
O: One of my fall/winter favourites

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've tried this brew a few times, but this was my first serious run at it. It poured nicely, but the head disappeared quickly, leaving behind small islands of froth. For me, the smell of this brew is too sweet - vanilla, and not much else. The flavour is definitely the highlight - there is lots happening here. Chocolate, vanilla, toffee, and a bit of chestnut. I found the Chestnut Ale a bit thin - carbonated, but forgetting that it is still a beer. Overall, it's OK, but certainly not magical.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a ruby brown and crystal clear. Nice tan head that caps & lasts. Gorgeous.

Nose is sweet and dominated by nut extract. Quite a sweet body, yet fairly one dimensional in the malt profile. No bread notes, rather just sweet malt. A moderate nut flavour comes through balancing what would otherwise be cloying sweetness. Too sweet for my liking.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Wow, this beer surprisingly blew me away. The hype I'd heard from a few friends before trying this built it up, and it lived up to my expectations.

This beer reminds me a lot of two other BC holiday favourites of mine, GI Winter and Tree Brewing's Vertical Winter...both great, and both readily available. Why this one by Whistler is not in wide release everywhere yet is beyond me - I think it's friggin' delicious.

You can actually smell and taste the chestnuts in this one - it's not just a name. The vanilla flavours mix nicely, and it's just a smooth, clear drink that I could do forever since it's not overly sweet. It's just really tasty and refreshing. I would definitely recommend this beer, any time of the year.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a tulip. A curious color, a flat red-brown with three fingers of rich creamy tan head.

Even more curious aroma ... Sweet, fruity, and floral in a unique way that is difficult to translate into words. Strawberry Kool-Aid, vanilla, pears, a pinch of brown spice. Very sweet flavor that recalls the aforementioned Kool-Aid and red licorice, sweet toffee, slight milk chocolate. Not particularly nutty, although there are parallels with sweet almond extract, cherry pits, or perhaps marzipan. A floral perfume pervades the proceedings. Nothing bready, toasted, or roasted.

Body does not correspond to the heavy sweetness, quite light, crisp, and fizzy. This feature actually serves to balance things a little. Finishes semi-dry with a nip of grassy hops. Rather compelling brew albeit an acquired taste. Nice dessert beer without being overly heavy or boozy.

3.64/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An overwhelmingly fragrant and flavourful beer. I could sit all day smelling it (and sipping, of course) and not grow tired of the olfactory pleasure I receive from this ale ... perhaps too much for a beer? Certainly waxing towards the fruitier side of the realm without bearing the too-sweet sugar cereal flavour that often comes with that territory. Simplistic, perhaps, but it's a fun and friendly fruit/veg for the masses.

to view more.