Tuborg Black - Tuborgs Bryggerier A/S

No picture uploaded.

Tuborgs Bryggerier A/S visit their website
Denmark

Schwarzbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: speter on 07-15-2010)
Reviews by Fatehunter:
3.85/5  rDev +26.6%

I got this in Kyrgyzstan, so I think it's the Russian version. I poured it into a plastic cup (the only cup available). It smells strongly of burnt and roasted malt. It is black colored with one finger of tan head. The head lasted only seconds though. The taste was lots of roasted malt and sweet. Simple but good. Smooth and crisp feeling. No gimmicks, just a nice black beer.

2.25/5  rDev -26%

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%

Well an interesting story comes with this beer. Sadly I don't think many will stumble upon this tale seeing as its not a very popular brew.

I am currently enjoying this fine beverage at Manas Airfield in Kyrgyzstan. My first beer after a VERY LONG deployment in Afghanistan, thank GOD this transit base sells beer.

Unfortunately, poured into a plastic cup it retained much of its head and lacing. In hindsight I should have just drank it from the bottle. BLEGH! My first ever "swartzbier" so I'm not sure how to review it. Although its great to feel the warm recognizable feeling of sudsy deliciousness of hops, yeast, and water... it was somewhat underwhelming. It might have been because I just consumed a Hoegaarden Witbier and my palate has been compromised or it could be that its a very average beer.

Sitting on my laptop at "Pete's Place" I see on the bottle it was brewed on January 15th. It is currently March 24th. Not the freshest beer, this could be the culprit to its very average taste.

I could go on for days about how much I missed beer but I'll cut it short and say this is a very good session beer due to its 4.8% bac and thats all I got to say about that.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Apparently brewed under contract at Baltika in Russia. Purchased in a supermarket in Kazan, Russia. Bottle has both a bottling date (May 22, 2010) and a drink-by date (February 22, 2011).

A: Pours a deep caramel brown with a healthy two-finger tan head that faded to virtually nothing. No lacing.

S: There's the usual grainy malt and roasted overtones, but there's also an unnatural hop extract scent. The label says hop extract and hops, so perhaps there's enough real hops in there for some minor skunking, as the bottle is clear.

T: No appreciable skunking in the taste, so that's a relief. The taste is a bit on the sweet side, with a strong hint of rye (although no rye is listed on the label). If I had to write the marketing copy for this one, I'd say, "A Schwarzbier for kvas drinkers." Very interesting, though strictly speaking, not to style.

M: Medium body with average carbonation. (Actually, the carbonation is less than the recent Russian beers I've been having, but it's comparable to my afternoon kvas.)

D: If you like kvas or roggenbiers (and I do), this is a great take on the Schwarzbier style. If you don't, there are other examples out there for you to explore.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%