Belgian Tripel - The Defiant Brewing Company

Belgian TripelBelgian Tripel

The Defiant Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sammy on 06-01-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Belgian Tripel Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -62%

Worst Tripel I've ever had. Rough, rough, rough.

1.8/5  rDev -54.4%

Before I even open it, it has a corkscrew type bottle. Reminds me of a champagne bottle. What a bitch it is to open! The cork screw has its cool logo on it, Defiant.

Appearance: A very smooth bubbly head that is pure white. The beer itself is a light yellow color. Bubbles look more spaced out but very present. The head sticks around for a while.

Aroma: very spicy hops are pronounced at first smell. It has somewhat of a boozy aroma. It does have ale characteristics to it.

Mouth Feel: quite bubbly with carbonation. Leaves a very dry taste in my mouth as if I was drinking a red wine.

Taste: at first sip a somewhat metallic taste. A very strong dry hop flavor that's bitter with spices. I don't know if I like it... No I found out I really don't. With each sip, I feel nausea coming on. It reminds me of a horrible champagne.

Drink Ability: very low. I'm struggling with getting through one third of it. Its very filling...

On the back it says, "We are always happy to have visitors." I'd be happy to be in bussiness with a crappy Ale like this. I feel horrible for pouring it out because its beer but yuck! I can't finish it! The only cool thing about this beer is

2.17/5  rDev -45.1%

Pours a five finger head over a hazed light straw liquid. Smells brettanomyces. Woody dry with mild cherry, powdery mildew, and sour berry.

Tastes malt on the pull, but brett off-putting immediately afterward and throughout the duration. Woody, biscuit malt, bready, ginger zip, mildly of candi-sugar, powdery dry and sour from brett. Peppery zip at the finish accompanied by a tame and clean alcohol and a fine carb sting. I'm not at all fond of this beer at all. Md light body with strong and fine carbonation.

2.36/5  rDev -40.3%

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

04/15/14 From bottle. I usually like Belgians, particularly triples, as long as they're not so strong they come with an ambulance discount card.

Unfortunately this let me down...twice. At first it looked great. Texture creamy, lovely clear color but the first taste was of corn. A cross between a corn flake & a cold popcorn kernel with no salt (or yummy caramel a la Cracker Jacks).

Things went from bad to worse when I poured the dregs, with the yeast, into the last glass. It held half the bottle so the concentration should have been reasonable, but I guess it was just too 'wild' for me. I prefer those bready heady things from Unibroue & not the unruly sour. I finished it (I always do) but once was enough.

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Golden Brown, a little lighter than most amber Belgium beers. When held up to the light, it turns a nice orange/red color. The bits of yeast floating in the beer isn't nearly as appetizing as the label makes it seem, but they are barely noticeable when drinking.

Smell: A rich, summery smell, with hints of flowers. Very sweet, and to those that don't like this style of ale, might be too much. I for one however, found it quite pleasant. Finds the perfect balance between fragrant and overpowering. Almost bread like, but not the stale-bread smell many lower classed beers occasionally have.

Taste: Has many of the same characteristics that the smell displays. Has a surpassingly earthy taste, that almost seems to vary from sip to sip. The flower qualities of the smell are still there, but not as much as the odor would suggest. The sweetness is almost desert like, if I didn't know better I'd say is white-chocolate like, not to mention fruitish hints such as orange or banana. The alcohol is more present than one would think from a beer like this.

Mouthfeel: As said before, the alcohol is slightly overpowering. The carbonation is milder than other beers, but fits the light style Defiant is going for.

Other/Overall: A good beer. I think the yeast floating in it is a turn off, but doesn't affect the taste enough to comment on. These are my favorite types of beers, but this one is sort of run of the mill. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as memorable as I would have liked.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks to PEBKAC for the opportunity.

Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Pours a hazy slightly honeyed yellow. A finger's worth of creamy white head sticks around forever. Plenty of carbonation continues to rise. Large sheets of lace. Nice looking brew.

In the aroma, there's the classic tripel notes: banana, fruit, bread and spice. But they're muddled and not really fully formed...

Taste is more engaging than the aroma. Flavors characteristics separate out, becoming more complimentary and enjoyable.

Nice creamy light feel.

Not necessarily a brew I'd go out of my way to seek out again... but it's a solid, respectable effort.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes. Had on 3/6/10 at a local DC tasting.

a - Pours a pale yellow with no head and little carbonation. Sediment evident.

s - Smells like your typical Tripel; lots of yeast, spices, maybe a little citrus and pepper.

t - Follows the nose; yeast, pepper, tiny bit of citrus, some other spices. Not bad.

m - Light to medium body with little carbonation. Some alcohol warmth to it.

d - A decent tripel but nothing special. Some typical belgian yeast and spices smell and taste. Warmth from alcohol hurts it a little. Not bad but wouldn't actively seek out again.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From a Growler (thanks for the gift Pebcak) Pours cloudy, dull apricot amber, under a minor near white, tiny bubble film/head that leaves just a slight amount of spotty lace. Minor fruity nose, with a hint of light pepper. Seems to be on the low side of the carbonation scale. Not really to style in that regard. Notes of light pepper, Belgiany yeast and ripe fruit. Spiced up hops dry thing out in the finish. Not bad stuff, but nothing truely special going on here, seems more like a saison or wit beer to me. Doesn't really show the sizzle and flavorful snap of a Triple...

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer was a surprise gift from my wife. From a corked bottle, it pours a light, mostly clear, golden color with a tall white head. The retention could be a little better, and there's just a slight haze. Still, very attractive. The aroma is estery...bubblegum, a little spice, alcohol, sugar, and pale malt. The taste is fairly dry, with a decent warmth and belgian peppery phenols. Spicy, dry, and enjoyable. A decent beer.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

(From notes)

A - Light hazy gold color, with a thin white head. Nothing off par for the style

S - Citruisy and spicey aromas, that are more lemon-like than anything

T - The citrus notes, and a heavier banana flavor come through. A bit more like a German wheat than a triple in taste. It wasn't bad, but not what I would expect from the style.

M - Would expect it to be a bit more crisp and pop with the carbonation. Pretty full MF for the style

D - Not overly drinkable, as it was not as complex as a Triple or as refreshing as a Wit or even Weiss.

Overall, I didn't think this was the best interpretation of the style. Not a terrible brew, but nothing too great either.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to Ralphs66 for this bottle! $11 price tag. 750mL brown glass cork & cage, no date.

Pours a pale, hazy orange with 1 finger of bright white head that leaves lots of spotting.

Let's discuss the nose, shall we? First whiff tells me this beer has wild yeast in it. It's infected, and other BA notes confirm this. But the question is, is it SUPPOSED to be infected? Lots of tropical fruits, mangos and papayas, blend with bitter orange and juicy sour lemon. A suggestion of plantain too.

Palate is tart for sure, but not full on soured. The mid palate goes a little watery which makes me think question again if this was intentionally funked. Sour tropical fruits and citrus give way to banana meringue and custard, some light grain notes and finishes off with a touch of pine board.

Notes: Well, I don't rightly know what to say about this, not knowing if it's supposed to be funky. If it is, then it's pretty good - if it's not then I'd really like to try a clean bottle please!

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into my Chimay chalice. Shared with a fellow beer lover.

Pours a cloudy yellow gold with seriously sticky lacing. Big off-white head that recedes gradually. Particles of yeast can been seen suspended in the liquid. Smell is mildly sweet with a lot of the advertised brewer's yeast and not very much else. Maybe a little bit of clove and spice at the end. Doesn't have that fruity bouquet I get out of most tripels.

Taste is full of that brewer's yeast and lots of it. Little hint of some funky sourness, but it goes away quickly. Subtle nuances of banana and a very slight bubblegum zing. Tiny bit of fruitiness makes an appearance on the palate after the beer has washed over. Lightly bitter on the back end, with some bready notes. Alcohol is mildly detectable at this point as a fleeting boozy warmth. Mouthfeel is effevescent, with a slick feel. Finish is very drying with a light crispness and medium body.

Drinkability is pretty good. Defiant really has crafted a quality brew here right in my back yard. I think I've definitely been spoiled with regards to tripels, because their take on the style isn't as good as some of the others I've sampled, but this is by no means a knock on this beer. It's a solid, drinkable Belgian style ale that I wouldn't mind having again.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

25.4 oz bottle conditioned bomber corked and caged poured into a tulip

A- HUGE head even after a very slow pour, climbing out of the glass and never really diminishing. Its an opaque dark and hazy golden orange.

S- citrus and lemon, my nose has been stuffed up though... some pepper in there too

T- banana cloves pepper lemon and for some reason I keep thinking apples.. reminds me of a more crisp and alcoholic hefeweizen. Alcohol is warming and not so well disguised

M- pretty full mouthfeel which was a bit unexpected for the style.. carbonation was good..enjoyable

Drinkability - This was a sipping beer, no need for another, warming alcohol (9%ABV) Not the best tripel but being that it is brewed locally (15 mins away from me!) I would proudly buy again. Happy to have this relatively new brewery so close to home!!

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Really pale and cloudy. I'd describe as maize if I had a box of Crayola crayons. The best part about this beer's appearance is the amazing head it raises and maintains for a lifetime (or at least until you drink it). It starts off thick and falls back into itself in the middle while the edges stick to the glass. Many heads have been described as meringue-like but this is so much like a true meringue in texture and movement. Even the lace left behind looks like the meringue stuck to the plate after having a slice of key lime pie.

The smell is a bit funky, so you know they used Belgian yeast. The lemon, banana and cloves also give that away. There's even a bit of acidic bite in your nose, so I'm expecting a bit of sour tang in the taste. Did they infect this beer? I'll need to look it up after I finish reviewing it.

Yep, it's got some sour to it...lemony sour to be exact. My wife was completely taken by surprise by that (if only she had been reading my review as I wrote it). She doesn't like sour. There's also a metallic bite that I think comes from the alcohol. This takes away from the sour, but that flaw gets washed out by gritty malts and some floral hops in the back and the finish. Still, the flavors don't mesh well and it's a bit of a mess. The mouthfeel keeps changing from sour to biting to gritty. It's an adventure and one that will leave you with a headache for sure. Yet, I still like this beer and I am certainly willing to try more that this brewery has to offer.

Belgian Tripel from The Defiant Brewing Company