Bear Mountain Ale - The Defiant Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

The Defiant Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian IPA |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: claspada on 09-27-2010)
Reviews by Huffs:

3.5/5  rDev +30.1%

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.75/5  rDev +39.4%

1.4/5  rDev -48%

Pours a golden honey colored ale with amber highlights, initially quite bubbly with a small white head that quickly dissipates.

Aromas are of resiny hops with the typical Belgian yeast aromas. Reminds me of De Dolle's yeast strain. Kind of muddled to be honest; there are no "inviting" aromas to be found.

I have to be honest, this was a drain pour for me. The beer starts off with a sweet but stinky malt/hops combination. There is no where near enough malt (only minimal caramels and breadiness) to back up the hopping on this beer. The hops taste oxidized as well (old hops).

Mouthfeel is irrelevant because I honestly only had a few sips of a 750 ml bottle. Defiant fermented this ale with a blend of American, English and their own East Coast Defiant yeast and I have found that most examples that blend yeast strains are often muddled and this is no different. The yeast also counteracts with the Pacific hops, few breweries can pull off this style and this was a miss for me.

2.17/5  rDev -19.3%

I am a really big fan of Defiant Brewery and I visit the brewery regularly (I work one town over). I had to hunt around for this limited release and found it at Ramsey Liquors NJ. Of the many Defiant offerings I've had the pleasure to imbibe, this one has me scratching...

Poured from a 750ml w/cork into a large beer glass - displayed a nice slightly hazy amber color with an amazing long-lasting big clumpy beige head - the kind of huge yeast foam you see in beer print advertisements that show people scooping shovels of foam from a fermenter.

The aroma smelled of slightly floral tangy wild hops so I was anticipating a fun sour bite, maybe something like a Tripel or Gueze. But sadly no.

To me this beer taste gritty, earthy, almost musty. Kind of like licking a stone. A wet stone. I could pretend it's like a Gueze but it's just not bright enough.

This Bear Mountain Ale kind of reminds me of some of the more bizarre regional efforts by Dogfish Head, who's beers in general I find forced and mostly unpalatable.

This is neither thirst quenching nor sense warming, just kind of off. And sort of unpleasant which beer should not be. Sadly I have no desire to finish this $9 bottle of craft brew, and equally sad I cannot recommend it to you.

2.38/5  rDev -11.5%

A: A good golden color with nice head retention that lasts throughout.

S: The smell is decent with nice hop aromas, with some fruit aromas, but the multiple yeast strains overpower the rest of the smell.

T: I could not get into this beer at all. The taste is overly bitter with little else going on. The little flavors I get are on the earthy side and they are not very kind to the tongue.

D: This beer is unfortunately hard to drink, the aftertaste is rather difficult to get over and after a few sips it is not easily drinkable.

1.98/5  rDev -26.4%

750ml bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. This one was a gift from a couple of friends who visited over the holidays; I've always been fond of Defiant's tripel, so eager to try.

Pours a very hazy honey gold color, slight hints of glowing orange, with a creamy two-finger khaki head with very respectable retention. Nice stickage as well - all in all a nice looking beer.

Nose is quite nice also; floral hops, with a bready sweetness underneath that hints at honey - can definitely feel the English yeast's influence in the aroma. Yeast itself comes through as well, giving it lightly doughy character as well.

And then the taste comes, and it all falls apart. I should preface by saying that I generally dislike American IPA recipes that are simply fermented with a Belgian yeast, so what was to come is no surprise. Initial light caramel malt sweetness is bready and rich, but lasts only an instant before leading into a foul, earthy mineral bitterness that made me absolutely wince. It's like they subbed several bags of dirt and rocks for one of the hop additions. Terrible.

Mouthfeel is ok - in the instant before the dirt note hits, you get a full bodied, unfiltered body with light carbonation; then comes the bitterness, and everything else dissappears.

Drinkability is Terrible. The second sip required a huge effort. Drain pour.

Bear Mountain Ale from The Defiant Brewing Company