Hard Root Beer - Sprecher Brewing Company

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: joe1510 on 06-14-2014

This is a fermented malt beverage, meaning it is pretty much beer, but it tastes just like root beer. The 5% ABV brew has a tinge on malt flavor on the finish; other than that it tastes just like soda.
to view more.
Ratings: 155 | Reviews: 32
Reviews by ColdWaffles:
3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a mug

An aggressive pour produced half a mug of tan head. For the most part it looks and smells like root beer. The smell is a little off. The taste is similar to root beer. It starts out good, but has a little alcohol in the finish with a lingering aftertaste. It seems undercarbonated and thin. Overall, it's not a bad attempt at hard root beer. I would try it again and may try a float with it.

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank this chilled from a mug, review from notes.

The color is dark brown with murky look and ring of beads after head settles. The smell has a sweet root beer odor with some mild alcohol and cola-type herbal quality with lemon zest hint. The feel is semi-high in carbonation with light sweetness with some yeast tanginess in the semi-dry finish.

The taste is tangy and sweet with light woody root combo of tastes with mild alcohol coming through as it finishes with a slight cinnamon-spice woodiness with a yeastiness that detracts but pretty good considering it sounds like it could come off as a weak root beer schnapps malternative. I consider this good for what it is but would not revisit it-not terrible

2.44/5  rDev -26.9%

$1.69 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. "Malt beverage with natural and artificial flavors and artificial color and caramel color" 5% ABV per the website.

Pours out to a murky dark brown, actually forming a modest light tan head with OK retention. Carbonation is moderate. Thin layer of dark brown sludge in the bottom of the bottle. The nose is peculiar. There is the obvious rootbeer nose, but a yeast bite that smells like bakers yeast, not brewers yeast. Mouthfeel is pretty creamy, goes down easy. The taste is peculiar. Definitely a bready yeasty note and a little bit of oxidized ruddiness, but it's pretty subtle. Alcohol really isn't very perceptable due to the strong flavors and sweetness, just more of a different tang. The sweetness hits the stomach pretty hard though and I don't think I'd be able to drink more than 2 of these without getting some kinda of terrible GI distress.

Very peculiar. My first hard root beer. Worth a try, but can't see buying it again.

(5 minutes later)-Update. Yeah. This is definitely making me feel really sick. I have to throw this down the drain. There is something wrong in this...something seriously wrong.

4.51/5  rDev +35%

Not sure about all of the negative feedback on this one. If you like root beer, you will enjoy this beer. A little strong on the vanilla side for me, but that's my only beef. Very nice aroma, with a nice feel. A little kick, and I mean LITTLE kick on the aftertaste. I guess to let you know that there is indeed alcohol in it! Making this beer a dangerous choice. I wouldn't test the entire four pack in one night.. You probably wouldn't want it ever again. It's a good "session" beer on my end. Worth the try!

3.99/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Not a complex of traditional tasting beer by any stretch but it tastes like a damn good root beer, which I would think was the goal, so a very well done beer in that regard.

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

Tastes less like a beer more like spiked root beer

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

Thought this would be a two-fer. Hints of both flavors. Ultimately disappointing and a bit...strange. Not sure what to do with the last three bottles.

4.18/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It truly tastes like root beer. These are very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I drank regular Sprecher root beer 10 years ago when it was available at Costco down here in Tennessee. Finding this alcoholic version is a treat cuz I've started getting back into drinking root beers.

1.4/5  rDev -58.1%

Looks and smells nice. Tastes like someone combined crappy beer and A&W. Never again.

4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

With all the rave for Not Your Father's Root Beer, I decided I'd give this one a go. Lo and behold, tastes just like root beer, although a little too sweet. I think it is an excellent beer.

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

I'm confused... is this beer? I'm not being sarcastic. Either way... this tastes like root beer. That's it. Got some alcohol noticeable but hardly. This tastes 100% like root beer. Easy to drink and not bad either... but I would never drink this if I wanted a "beer." This is soda.

4.71/5  rDev +41%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beverage is simply outstanding; precisely how a hard root beer should taste. Appearance is unsurprising and attractive in a maple brown tone, the smell is of root beer but a little something more (the alcohol, obviously), the taste is sharp, almost identical to non-alocholic root beer, but a little sharper, and bears hints of fire-like after taste, as well as something like charred wood (because it is indeed fire brewed), and the mouth feel is just glorious and pleasant in its richness.

Somebody get me a twelve pack; this is outstanding.

3.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

Prefer it very cold it helps the mouthfeel a bit. I enjoy the taste but the kick must end up coming from the bourbon barrels possibly.. it's a good all night beer if you like very sweet

4.88/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was quite surprised by this beer....cannot rave about it enough! I will be purchasing more for sure.

Just what the world needs a 5% ABV soda. I love it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

2.9/5  rDev -13.2%

It's pretty much a malty root beer soda with a bit of alcohol. If you're looking for something beyond that you might want to look elsewhere. It's not one of the best flavored ale's I've had yet the root beer/malt combo was enough for me to make it worth the cost of the six pack.

I love Root Beer and I thought I would try it out. I thought, how bad could hard root beer be? I bought a 4 pack and have dumped two down the sink before I was halfway through because it tastes exactly like cough medicine.

4.04/5  rDev +21%

I had seen this on the shelf numerous times but always passed on it. I then recevied a Not Your Father's Rootbeer as an extra in a trade and really enjoyed it. That experience prompted me to give this one a try and I am glad I did. It's not quite as good as Not Your Father's, but pretty close. Tastes just like Root Beer and the alcohol is very well hidden.

3.02/5  rDev -9.6%

Very "meh" and had a weird taste on teh finish. It was ok, but the smoke flavor didn't come through much and just kind of made this one taste a little strange.

4.28/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Could have used some more head on it for sure. I really liked it. Had a real natural root\wood refreshing taste. A little thin in feel and couldn't tell there was alcohol. I think they did a good job with this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wait, people hate this, but love NYFRB? I dont think theyre all that different. If yo're looking for a beer that tastes like RB, this is good stuff. Sweeter than the NYFRB.

2.56/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Slight root beer taste but has a wired sour taste

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hard Root Beer pours a dark amber color with a small head. There is a big root beer aroma, lots of vanilla. Taste is big root beer, lots of vanilla. A little light in flavor, rather fizzy. Overall, name doesn't like, it taste like root beer, with bigger vanilla flavors. WARNING as it warms up, there is a very odd and nasty aftertaste, nice in small amounts.

1.94/5  rDev -41.9%

Tastes like root beer at first, then odd after taste.

to view more.