Hard Root Beer - Sprecher Brewing Company

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: joe1510 on 06-14-2014

This is a fermented malt beverage, meaning it is pretty much beer, but it tastes just like root beer. The 5% ABV brew has a tinge on malt flavor on the finish; other than that it tastes just like soda.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 181 | Reviews: 48
Reviews by ThaHealer:
3.53/5  rDev +6.3%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a mug

An aggressive pour produced half a mug of tan head. For the most part it looks and smells like root beer. The smell is a little off. The taste is similar to root beer. It starts out good, but has a little alcohol in the finish with a lingering aftertaste. It seems undercarbonated and thin. Overall, it's not a bad attempt at hard root beer. I would try it again and may try a float with it.

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank this chilled from a mug, review from notes.

The color is dark brown with murky look and ring of beads after head settles. The smell has a sweet root beer odor with some mild alcohol and cola-type herbal quality with lemon zest hint. The feel is semi-high in carbonation with light sweetness with some yeast tanginess in the semi-dry finish.

The taste is tangy and sweet with light woody root combo of tastes with mild alcohol coming through as it finishes with a slight cinnamon-spice woodiness with a yeastiness that detracts but pretty good considering it sounds like it could come off as a weak root beer schnapps malternative. I consider this good for what it is but would not revisit it-not terrible

2.44/5  rDev -26.5%

$1.69 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. "Malt beverage with natural and artificial flavors and artificial color and caramel color" 5% ABV per the website.

Pours out to a murky dark brown, actually forming a modest light tan head with OK retention. Carbonation is moderate. Thin layer of dark brown sludge in the bottom of the bottle. The nose is peculiar. There is the obvious rootbeer nose, but a yeast bite that smells like bakers yeast, not brewers yeast. Mouthfeel is pretty creamy, goes down easy. The taste is peculiar. Definitely a bready yeasty note and a little bit of oxidized ruddiness, but it's pretty subtle. Alcohol really isn't very perceptable due to the strong flavors and sweetness, just more of a different tang. The sweetness hits the stomach pretty hard though and I don't think I'd be able to drink more than 2 of these without getting some kinda of terrible GI distress.

Very peculiar. My first hard root beer. Worth a try, but can't see buying it again.

(5 minutes later)-Update. Yeah. This is definitely making me feel really sick. I have to throw this down the drain. There is something wrong in this...something seriously wrong.

2.12/5  rDev -36.1%

My husband and I love non-alcoholic root beers. We love the flavor of ti. Our favorite is Capt'n Eli's, probably because of the wintergreen oil. Anyways, we were really looking forward to drinking a root beer that would actually get you drunk and we were very disappointed by Sprecher's Hard Root Beer. It just didn't have the root beer flavor I was looking for. Actually, it was just to medicinal and malty tasting for our liking. It was so bad, I couldn't even drink more thank 1/4 of a bottle.

4.51/5  rDev +35.8%

Not sure about all of the negative feedback on this one. If you like root beer, you will enjoy this beer. A little strong on the vanilla side for me, but that's my only beef. Very nice aroma, with a nice feel. A little kick, and I mean LITTLE kick on the aftertaste. I guess to let you know that there is indeed alcohol in it! Making this beer a dangerous choice. I wouldn't test the entire four pack in one night.. You probably wouldn't want it ever again. It's a good "session" beer on my end. Worth the try!

4.02/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Seems a little watery. Not quite as good as Smalltown's version

3.99/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Not a complex of traditional tasting beer by any stretch but it tastes like a damn good root beer, which I would think was the goal, so a very well done beer in that regard.

1.5/5  rDev -54.8%

Tastes less like a beer more like spiked root beer

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Just like a root beer with alcohol but a little to sweet

1.5/5  rDev -54.8%

Thought this would be a two-fer. Hints of both flavors. Ultimately disappointing and a bit...strange. Not sure what to do with the last three bottles.

4.18/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It truly tastes like root beer. These are very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I drank regular Sprecher root beer 10 years ago when it was available at Costco down here in Tennessee. Finding this alcoholic version is a treat cuz I've started getting back into drinking root beers.

1.4/5  rDev -57.8%

Looks and smells nice. Tastes like someone combined crappy beer and A&W. Never again.

4.13/5  rDev +24.4%

With all the rave for Not Your Father's Root Beer, I decided I'd give this one a go. Lo and behold, tastes just like root beer, although a little too sweet. I think it is an excellent beer.

When you put this next to NYFRB, it doesn't do so well.

2.25/5  rDev -32.2%

I'm confused... is this beer? I'm not being sarcastic. Either way... this tastes like root beer. That's it. Got some alcohol noticeable but hardly. This tastes 100% like root beer. Easy to drink and not bad either... but I would never drink this if I wanted a "beer." This is soda.

4.71/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beverage is simply outstanding; precisely how a hard root beer should taste. Appearance is unsurprising and attractive in a maple brown tone, the smell is of root beer but a little something more (the alcohol, obviously), the taste is sharp, almost identical to non-alocholic root beer, but a little sharper, and bears hints of fire-like after taste, as well as something like charred wood (because it is indeed fire brewed), and the mouth feel is just glorious and pleasant in its richness.

Somebody get me a twelve pack; this is outstanding.

3.71/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

Prefer it very cold it helps the mouthfeel a bit. I enjoy the taste but the kick must end up coming from the bourbon barrels possibly.. it's a good all night beer if you like very sweet

4.05/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a dark brown with a off white head that immediately fades. No lace on the glass. Aroma is of root beer soda with a hint of oak. Flavor is straight up root beer followed by a bit of alcohol and wood. The start of the taste is way different than the finish. Thin bodied with soda pop carbonation. Overall, a great tasting alcoholic root beer.

4.88/5  rDev +47%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was quite surprised by this beer....cannot rave about it enough! I will be purchasing more for sure.

Just what the world needs a 5% ABV soda. I love it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

2.9/5  rDev -12.7%

It's pretty much a malty root beer soda with a bit of alcohol. If you're looking for something beyond that you might want to look elsewhere. It's not one of the best flavored ale's I've had yet the root beer/malt combo was enough for me to make it worth the cost of the six pack.

4.85/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

i love rootbeer and this is amazing IMO

1.75/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Does not taste like root beer, just syrupy sugary shit

3.01/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I hate to compare, but I like NOT YOUR FATHER'S ROOT BEER better. This was good, but to me it had a little of a copper or metallic aftertaste. I can't quite nail the taste, but to me it isn't as pleasant as other Hard Root Beers I have tried. This really isn't my thing anyway. I understand it is an ale or in the beer style, but I hardly find this categories as beer? I wasn't overly impressed with this product. We bought it out of state because we never see it in our region. It was ok. I wouldn't go looking for it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »