1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African Style-Ale) - Sprecher Brewing Company

Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African Style-Ale)Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African Style-Ale)

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.70% ABV

Shakparo Ale is a West African Shakparo-style beer brewed from sorghum & millet. Unfiltered ale. Gluten-free (not wheat or barley).

(Beer added by: shbobdb on 01-15-2007)
View: Beers (41) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African Style-Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 83 | Reviews: 65 | Show All Ratings:
WissBrauSean

4.33/5  rDev +37%

I was loving this 16 oz. bottle until I opened it and found out it was screw top. Booo! It's a cool bottle and a nice label otherwise. It's a pretty affordable beer though, so that is good.

The beer poured a mostly clear light brown/amber in color with a full one finger head that immediately dissipated to non-existant pretty quick. This seems to be the norm for gluten free's.

I immediately smelled sour upon opening, it wasn't strong, but released all of a sudden. As I drink it, that has mellowed but still apparent. Indeed it does have an apple note to it but there is also a faint caramel aroma associated with it.

I don't know what they mean by "Fire Roasted" in the description of the beer, perhaps that pertains to the millet adjunct used to flavor the beer. The beer starts off mildly cider-like and as it moves across your tongue it moves into caramel apple with, indeed, a very mildly apparent fire roasted flavor and then a slightly dry mega mild hoppy finish with black pepper notes at the very end. Lots of beers have this in common. There is also a lingering mildly grassy and yeasty taste. It's really good and mildly complex and warming with alcohol when drinking on an empty stomach. It's not easy picking out these flavours, but they are there. It's just a little thin. The roasted flavor is quite noticeable between sips. It's F@CKING GOOD!

Mouthfeel and Body are kind of like those difficult terms to describe like "Ethereal" or even "Surreal" and it takes a while to really discern them. When people mention them don't get discouraged and just try and see what they mean by trying that beer as well. You can think of it as sweet and syrupy or thin like lemonade in one respect, but it encompasses a wide range of how it makes your mouth feel. Sometimes it is as simple as that. This beer is thin for a beer like an ale like bass ale, but more full than say a coors light. So I call it thin to moderate. Something syrupy might be like a Belgian Tripel or something like a La Fin Du Monde (if you haven't tried that, you are missing out). Mouthfeel also describes how the carbonation of the beer feels on your tongue or whether or not the carbonation carries flavors and smells along with it as the bubbles burst. This beer is only mildly carbonated which is nice. Sometimes higher carbonated Gluten Free beers will taste like champagne on the tongue and in your nose.

As Gluten free beers go, this is one of the best that I have had so far. The roasted flavor really tips this beer over the edge and I feel that this is going to be, or has been, an award winning beer. I highly recommend it! It's only downfall is it's lack of head and lightly thin body and I have to give average scores for those. How the "sorghum problem" was handled in this beer is excellent and definitely world class! CHEERS!

03-09-2013 02:51:32 | More by WissBrauSean
Abcabc

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +37%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - copper; white head; mild retention and long lasting lacing.

S - light sweetness, apples, with hints of orange peel.

T - apples, caramel, spicy with light tartness. No bitterness.

M - light to medium body, smooth, crisp

This is excellent as a gluten-free beer and has far more flavor than the big brand American beers. It has a slight sweet, apple character that makes it an excellant session beer.

I would prefer more body, although most beers need this for my taste.

10-26-2013 22:53:19 | More by Abcabc
shbobdb

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev +31.3%

It pours a pleasant red-gold with a head that quickly collapses into a faint ring-around-the-beer-glass.

It smells, well, like bananas. It smells very weizen-y, but without any of the wheat spiciness. Granted, this isn't a wheat beer so I can't dock it for that. I just found it one dimensional (fortunately, it was a good dimension).

The taste is like the smell, but the sweetness from the weizen yeast, as well as the grains really work well together. I like the taste of this beer a lot. It has all the estery elements of a weizen, but it has a little bit of extra pizzaz from the unusual grains.

The mouthfeel . . . well, it is quite good for an ale, but I am used to the creamy thick mouthfeel of a weizen. I guess I'm just spoiled -- when I think of Weizen esters, I think of that mouthfeel. But the mouthfeel is still quite pleasant. Rich and full -- it would be cloying but there is enough carbonation to cut it. Rather like a soda-pop. It is very nice.

Drinkability? I only bought one? Pity. A four-pack would have been nice. More than a four-pack? Ehhhh . . . maybe.

Not Sprecher's best beer, but I wouldn't mind too much if they added it to their regular line-up. Quite nice. Perhaps too sweet, but quite nice.

This is also easily the best gluten free beer I've ever had.

01-15-2007 22:24:21 | More by shbobdb
AdmiralDiaz

3.98/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a semi-hazy orange with a decent sized off-white head. looks similar to a hefeweizen.

S: My first though when I smelled this was sake...the weird thing is that I'm sure there is no rice in there. Anywho strong fruit along with a clove scent

T: Tastes is definitely odd for the style...I'm fairly sure that this is only classified as a red/amber because there is not defined name for the style? Strong fruit flavor; bananas, apple, apricot. Notable spiciness from a good amount of clove. If I didn't know any better I would have thought this was some sort of hefeweien or some other fruity german lager.

Overall: Mouthfeel was well carbonated and very smooth. Pretty drinkable, however the taste is a bit intense, I would only do a few of these. This is unique, that's for sure.

04-21-2009 23:08:28 | More by AdmiralDiaz
Halcyondays

3.93/5  rDev +24.4%

16 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy orange yellow with a very light fizzy white head, light lace.

S: Heavy banana and wheat, bubblegum, nice smell.

T: Assorted grain character with a lot of banana and bubblegum. A very estery flavour, quite good.

M: Medium-bodied, fairly smooth, soft carbonation, quite easy drinking.

O: A beer that is very much in the hefe category, but as with Mbege, Sprecher has made a very good African-style version of one. I've had it before, and I always enjoy this beer.

06-04-2011 04:39:11 | More by Halcyondays
aforbes10

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Bought this in Milwaukee. Opened it with some trepidation due to not really knowing what the heck this is supposed to be. Pours orangey yellow with not much of a head. Smell is sweet, like cooked yams or sweet potatoes. hints of honey, grains, and orange juice. Taste is pretty strange. one of those beers that challanges a palate which expects particular flavors from a beer. Tart, somewhat cady-corn like flavor with sweet grain on the finish ("like sweet milo," my wife says, which is, of course, accurate based on what they make it with). Reminds me of other gluten free beers but tastes better than most of those that i've had. Way to go, Sprecher, for going a bit outside the box with this one.

06-12-2007 18:51:55 | More by aforbes10
Atron67

3.9/5  rDev +23.4%

A- Poured a foggy golden yellow with a foamy white head that faded quickly

- smells of slight esters some slightly sour scents, sweet, no hop

T- a smooth tartness, reminiscent of a german wheat beer, however slightly sour flavors due to the sorghum and millum

M- slightly heavy body, delayed carbonation that gives it a slightly acidic burst

D- pretty good, its a damn solid beer and i admire their willingness to try something so different.

08-04-2007 00:22:16 | More by Atron67
Tballz420

3.88/5  rDev +22.8%

Straw pale color at the bottom of the glass, towards the top of the beer its a darker yellowish orange color. Hazy throughout, lots of little bubbles on the lower part of the glass rise constantly. Small white head. Much lighter colored beer than I was expecting to see in a "american amber/red ale" category. Scent is light malts with lemony zest, some grass smell. Initial taste is very tart, eventually a light malt essence comes forth. Earthy tones. I don't know what the hell it is, but its pretty refreshing. Light bodied. I'll leave it to the experts to tell you what the hell is going on with this one, not bad though.

09-13-2007 02:25:47 | More by Tballz420
uwmgdman

3.85/5  rDev +21.8%

The beer pours a cloudy golden-orange with a thin white head. There is a decent amount of suspended yeast, partially on purpose, I poured aggressively. The aroma has a moderate amount of clove, and trace amounts of banana, it actually smells a lot like Weihenstephan Weizen yeast. The taste is predominately clove, a little residual sweetness, low bitterness, and no hop flavor. The finish is a little crisp and tart, rather refreshing. The carbonation is moderate and body is light to medium-light. This is the first beer I’ve had with sorghum. Overall this is by far the better of the two African beer offerings by Sprecher. The aroma and taste are both solid, a lot like a Hefeweizen. The finish is crisp and refreshing. I don’t know how much of the yeasty/clove aroma taste was a result of a nice aggressive pour, but if I have another one, I’ll do it again. Not too bad, grab a bottle and try it out.

03-20-2007 00:41:14 | More by uwmgdman
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.85/5  rDev +21.8%

Bold kumquat with ripe lemon trim. I expected to see more haze since the beer is unfiltered. However, a sparse cloud of fine yeast can be seen on closer inspection. The pale orangish ecru cap persists nicely, but qualifies as unattractive in terms of texture. It's soft, mealy and unsticky, leaving the glass virtually untouched. I'm sure the ingredients are mostly, if not entirely, responsible.

Shakparo smells like an especially clove-intensive hefe weizen. There may be other spices present as well, it's hard to say. The beer is also nicely fruit, as advertised, with bananas at the head of the line as far as my nose knows.

This 'Fire-Brewed, African-Style' beer is the best gluten-free ale that I've ever had, hands down. I now wonder why the others were so distasteful, relatively speaking. I don't think there's any question that sorghum and millet are inferior to barley malt when it comes to the brewing of beer. For those who have no other choices, though, this is damn good stuff. It's too bad Sprecher doesn't distribute nationwide.

The secret to Shakparo's success is, I believe, the abundance of fruit and spice that covers up the potential unpleasant graininess of the atypical grains. As noted two paragraphs up, the hefe weizen comparison is right on the money. If I hadn't known better, I don't think I would have been able to identify this as a barley-free beer.

The mouthfeel is where the absence of barley malt is felt most keenly. Not its lightness so much as its lightly oily slickness. It's far from unpleasant, however, and is easily managed given what's happening on the taste buds.

Shakparo is vastly superior to Sprecher's other recently released African beer, the abysmal Mbege Ale. I'm amazed at how good this offering is under the circumstances. I try never to say 'never, but I doubt that I'll have a better gluten-free beer... ever. This is the first one that I'd consider drinking again. For those who have celiac disease, I would think the drinkability score would be a 5.0.

05-07-2007 14:03:33 | More by BuckeyeNation
zook74

3.8/5  rDev +20.3%

It's really tough to judge this beer by traditional standards simply because it's a huge departure from any kind of "norm" we may have in mind, so let me preface this review by saying that I really do enjoy this beer.

This beer drinks much more like a sake than it does a beer. Reasonable enough since it's not brewed from any traditional grains, but rather from sorghum and millet.

Definitely interesting. I picked up a single bottle to try and liked it enoughto pick up a four pack the next time I was out so could enjoy it again and also so that I could share it with the wifey.

05-18-2008 05:34:05 | More by zook74
hwwty4

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev +20.3%

Thanks to RblWitACoz for this one (and thanks to my wife for letting me drink one).

Poured a 16oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours an orangey, reddish amber with just a slight bit of head that disappears quickly. The aroma is interesting. Vinegar and sour apples come out with just a bit sweet malt at the tail. The taste is sour/sweet combination. It tastes more like a really dry cider than beer. It surprises me how sour it actually is. Really interesting. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. It's interesting. I really appreciate, having a gluten intolerant wife, that an established beer brewery thought it important enough to try out an recipe like this. It gives some options to the gluten free crowd. With that being said, I don't know if I could drink more than 1 at a sitting.

08-06-2008 05:24:14 | More by hwwty4
emerge077

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%

Silhouette of African animals walking together, that lion must have had his dinner already. The scene is very Lion King, Hakuna-Matata...

Hazy orange pour into a pint glass. Two fingers of foam at first, which dwindle down to a skimpy ring of tiny bubbles. Some sediment in the bottle, which clouded up the ale when poured.

First impression is of funky apples, ripe and rotting in the orchard. Some unidentified spice in there as well.

Well carbonated at first, but seems to lose steam after awhile. Tart, citrusy at first, lemon or cider suggestion, with a dry, papery, herbal finish. I'm guessing the sorghum is responsible for the mild sweetness. I'm not sure how millet tastes, but it could be the dry herbal/grainy side to this.

When served cold, this is pretty refreshing. Don't let it warm up too much. It's an acquired taste, but isn't too hard to get used to. Two in a sitting was easy.

08-20-2007 23:18:37 | More by emerge077
brdc

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%

Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

Slightly hazy golden brew with a decent white head, average retention.
Aroma is unexpectedly nice, quite fruity, spicy, reminiscent of some wine coolers. Different.
Easy going and refreshing, fruity, nicely carbonated, with multiple fruity notes.
This is an interesting "extreme" beer, quite light and refreshing. Not a great beer but an interesting alternative, I might even revisit during summer. Better than expected.

03-12-2008 04:09:16 | More by brdc
tim9887

3.65/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a nice slightly hazy golden-orange with white foamy head. Aroma is on the pungent side, big notes of banana and clove similar to that of a hefeweizen. Belgian yeast-esque spice to it as well. Similar characteristics in the flavor as well. Very tart juicy fruit (orange/pear?) character to it. Very faint, subtle bitterness in the finish. Bright, bubbly carbonation. Interesting stuff. My first foray into gluten-free beer.

05-11-2010 03:56:53 | More by tim9887
rallison

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%

Was curious to try this beer - and am glad I did. I believe this is my first gluten-free beer.

Pours a golden amber color with a fizz 1 finger head that mostly dies. Smell is a bit disappointing - some semi-artificial smelling tropical fruits - banana, etc.

Taste improves. While not extremely complex, and still with a touch of that artificial tropical fruit sweetness, it is quite drinkable. I guess it lacks the familiar barley malt base, but this still tastes like beer. Kind of like one of those slightly too sweet and not complex enough Belgian pales. Which means this isn't half bad - it's just not great.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are both good.

A new experience for me. If I run into someone with celiac disease who misses beer, I'll definitely point them toward this. Recommended.

06-13-2007 04:49:27 | More by rallison
tdm168

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - copper; big, dense, white head; good retention

S - grainy, sweet, apples

T - yeasty, apples, caramel, spicy

M - medium body, smooth, crisp

This isn't bad as far as gluten free beers go. It has that typical sweet, apple character that I find off putting. My wife who can only drink gluten free beers ranks this among her favorites.

05-27-2012 15:45:31 | More by tdm168
Metalmonk

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%

Reading the label, I get the feeling this is mis-categorized here on BA. And pouring assures me of that. There's no amber or red to be found in the appearance, just a cloudy peach-yellow color with a wispy head and mellow bubble activity (although the healthy cap-opening "zisss!" assures it's fresh enough).

Smell is an odd one. Musty (like a wet basement) with faint traces of peach, pear and apple. Yeasty and earthy, with a very light white pepper character in the background.

Taste features a kind of spicy attack that gives the illusion Shakparo is much stronger than 5.7%. The fruity elements are propped up and shining, especially big green apple, as is a hint of white pepper and even the ghost of some sort of chili. The yeast has a decidedly Belgian character to it, and knowing Sprecher has attempted Belgian styles, maybe it's an authentic strain of some sort. All in all, the beer carries a pretty exotic flair, which I guess is thanks to, uh, I don't know, whatever is making these characteristics pop...probably the sorghum and millet? Interesting, and pretty enjoyable too.

Unfortunately the feel is the downfall of this beer. It's all spritz, like soda-pop. Not good.

Lots of different things happening here, and I'm really glad I tried it. Very different. There are definitely lesser beers out there for gluten-allergic beer lovers, but I'm still grateful I'm not one of them.

09-21-2011 22:31:24 | More by Metalmonk
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%

From Sprecher gluten-free beer line, Shakparo is the most easily available of the beers. However, Mbege is the superior offering. When either are available at the brewery, it is advisable to stock up.

Poured into a pint glass, I was surprised by the vinegar odor. Having drank this many times before, I do not remember this issue. Allowing the ale to air out, this became less of a disturbance. With little head, the ale is a golden orange color. The initial taste brings cider to mind. Notes of sour apples and various spices are noteable. This is an easy drinker with not much carbonation and disappears into a pleasing slightly sour taste. It is not a drink for everybody, but it is a nice change of pace.

01-08-2012 23:24:30 | More by JohnnyHopps
DerekQXQX

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I loved this beer for the uniqueness of the idea. It was strange and bitter, so the taste wasn't great but I loved the idea of it. I have never had nor heard of an African style ale. I think that is something to be lauded and praised. Good for you Sprecher!

01-16-2014 11:47:46 | More by DerekQXQX
Drew966

3.48/5  rDev +10.1%

Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African Style-Ale) pours a hazy orange with an off white head from a brown sixteen ounce bottle. The aroma is spicy and clove like. The flavor also is very clove like and there are fruit/banana like flavors too. The body is very light. Not a hefe weiss, but has some similar flavors, but certainly not spot on to one. Worth a try.

05-22-2008 23:41:48 | More by Drew966
BeerFMAndy

3.48/5  rDev +10.1%

16 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher Nonic. 09338 on the neck. Nutrition facts and Ingredients listed as well.

A - Sprecher's take on a Gluten Free beer pours out a little cloudy. A tinge of orange appears in the golden-yellow color and a subtle off-white head crowns the top. Loud and poorly retained, it sank to a thin film and ring with no lace.

S - Shakparo smells surprisingly like a hefeweiss, granted, with a weird fink. A dry straw grainy aroma outlines the nose and encloses the yeasty banana and light spice characteristics.

T - Again, it's sort of reminiscent of a hefeweiss but this low medicinal thing invites itself in a sticks around longer than you'd like it to which in turn disrupts the good flow going on. An artificial sweetener flavor pops up right away and is married by dry straw, yeast, and banana with a mild spice hint. Not ad for being Gluten Free.

M - Medium-bodied with a lengthy sweetness and carbonation kick to the finish but unfortunately, it's got that medicinal feel to the end.

D - If I had celiac's, I'd be all over this one, but because I don't, I don't know that I'll have it again. Last time I had it was when Mbege was out about 5 years ago. Really though, it's not a bad beer, even for this Ba.

02-03-2010 23:54:48 | More by BeerFMAndy
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

3.43/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Hazy yellow-amber with an audibly fizzy white head that roars like a crowd. Mediocre retention.

Smell: Hefe/dunkel-esque yeast, with lots of bananas and clove, light apple cider, and mild honey-like sweetness.

Taste: Tangy and dry and ever so slightly spicy. On the bland side, and could use a stronger malt foundation. Most of the flavor comes from yeast and hops; sorghum lends a light, fresh wheaty character. There is a sweet, citric edge, reminiscent of oranges, and a dry, clean finish with a slight edge of yeast.

Mouthfeel: Way too thin, but well-carbonated and crisp.

Drinkability: This isn't bad, it's just kind of boring. It needs a bit more depth of flavor and a bit more hefty body. It's worth a try, just don't expect to be blown away.

01-23-2007 16:09:56 | More by soulgrowl
tgbljb

3.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy amber color with sparse white head. No lacing to speak of.

Smell is a strange sweet-sour combination. At first I thought it was skunked, but then realized that this must be how it is supposed to smell.

Taste is also a bit strange. A stong sweet taste initially, foloowed by a bit of tartness , followed by a bit of a bite (alcohol?0 The beer did improve as the glass warmed.

Also left a strange taste in the mouth. I am not sure it I really liked it or not.

A very unique beer. Thats the best I can say.

05-23-2008 23:06:12 | More by tgbljb
BeerAdvocate

3.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine April 2007.

Shakparo is a sorghum beer that's traditionally brewed in West Africa using wild yeast. Sprecher went the Belgian-yeast route--talk about going out on a limb for craft beer in the US. American brewers know no bounds. We love it.

Tiny bubbled lace stays for the duration, and does not cling to the glass at all. Very cloudy orange-beige opaque appearance. Herbal phenols all over the aroma; slight plum fruitiness with a hay-like nose. Slick and smooth with a crisp back end and a flush medium body. Sweet, to fruity, to grainy. Plum and cherry fruitiness with an astringent husk. Bubble gum? Hops are mild. Earth, mineral, faint salt, lemon, medicinal herb and cereal grain throughout. Long, faded, astringent finish actually makes this beer a bit more interesting.

Interesting enough to be enjoyable, perhaps too interesting to drink the whole bottle alone. We went with a mild basil and chili pepper dry-rubbed flank steak with fried plantains for the pairing. Perhaps one of the best pairings yet.

04-07-2010 20:48:01 | More by BeerAdvocate