IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) - Sprecher Brewing Company

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)
No picture uploaded.

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: logansboat15 on 06-18-2007)
Reviews by Ted:

Ted, Jan 27, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into an imperial nonic a slight chill hazed copper/bronze with a tight formed nicely defined 1/2 finger white head that held well.Aromas of sweetish dough and pithy hops,a real alcohol sweet character comes into play as well.Flavors are dominated by alcohol sweetness and caramel,the hop are are much lighter than they should be,to me its like an english strong ale in its vinious qualities.Its not a bad beer but the hops are to light only providing a scant herbal shot in the back end,again not a horrible beer but it isnt up to style in my opinion.

oberon, Jul 13, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +19%

Purchased from Sprecher Brewery in Glendale, WI, so this had better be pretty fresh. Poured a dark copper body with a very fluffy off-white head. Aroma was more about malts than hops which were present but very subdued. This beer was full bodied and malty sweet up front, an the hops really come out in the finish. This tasted more like an English style IPA than an American IPA, especially since it wasn't a hop bomb like others I've tried. I did enjoy it, but think they could have done better on the hop aroma.

blackearth, Aug 12, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up this 16oz bottle recently and figured I'd give it a whirl. Pours into my glass a nice amber red color with good clarity and a small bubbly head that quickly fades. Aromas begin with lots of caramel malts upfront. Herbal, floral hops come next with some nice resinous aromas. An interesting mix of hops and malts in this one.

First sip brings a big sweet caramel malt upfront that is lightly toasted followed by a nice mix of floral and herbal hops. Bitterness hits on the way down but is counteracted by the sweet malts, leaving this brew a bit on the sweet side in the end. Finishes with a lingering herbal hop aftertaste. Almost strikes me as a big English IPA in a way.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit slick. Good carbonation and a nice smoothness on the way down. This is an interesting take on a double IPA. Personally I can't say I'm really a fan of this one myself, it just doesn't bring the flavors I'm looking for when I grab a double IPA. Check it out and decide for yourself!

orbitalr0x, Jun 27, 2007

westcott, Jul 28, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Purchased from Mondo Vino in Denver on a whim. Hey, I know this beer ain't great, but memories and all. . .

Tons of yeastie floaties all over this. Immediately wondering how old this stuff is. Really a huge negative on the appearance, ugh. Smell was bitter, but far from hoppy.

Taste was bitter and far from hoppy. Hot alcohol heat, maltyness all over it. This was as a dipa, anything but what I look for. Sprecher makes lots of good beers, but hoppy ones ain't their strong part by any stretch of the imagination. There's some caramel, I guess the malt body for this is just fine. But that isn't what brings me to the dance.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 24, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours an opaque amber color that shows way too much sediment when held to light. The head is fine, doesn't leave much lace.

S: Very sweet, actually. Smell of brown sugar. Very little trace of hops. It's pleasant but not what I expect from the style.

T: That sweetness comes through in the taste for sure, mostly up front. The hops kick in soon after, but it's a nondescript flavor. Nothing offensive, nothing remarkable. The alcohol presence is pretty nice here, however.

M: This is where it's most reminiscent of its style: sticky hop resin, lingering alcohol heat, bitterness hanging on the tongue.

D: I don't want to go nuts and say I could down a bunch of these in one sitting, but for its ABV this beer goes down fairly easily, and I don't think that's a sign of weakness.

No one's going to mistake this for a top-flight Double IPA, but I'm actually pretty fond of Sprecher's high-test series, rating notwithstanding. For the price, I think a four-pack of these makes for a nice stand-in when my wallet's thin.

rwathree, Jul 17, 2011

JIMTRK16, Feb 26, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured a cloudy pale copperish color with about an inch of fluffy off-white head. Great lacing on this one too.

Smell is very nice citrus and hops.

Taste is moderately hoppy but still very pleasant. Nice citrus notes coming through.

Mouthfeel is light-medium and very refreshing. Went down smooth.

Overall a really good beer. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll look for this one again.

richkrull, Oct 22, 2011

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

optimator705, Oct 06, 2014

BamfBacon, Sep 10, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Hazy rusted apricot with a tight off-white head that dwindles quickles but laces in thick sheets.
Aromatic of buttered caramel and toasted english muffins. Fruity with figs, dates, and golden raisins. Hops add little, aroma-wise, besides a minor slappy, herbal, tea-ish bitterness.
Once it hits the tongue, it's all gummy bears, caramel, and golden raisins. It dries a bit midway, as the grains appear via lemon poppyseed muffins, with a smear of butter. Bubblegum afterwards, with a tangerine undertow. Hops brings traces of mint and herbs. Alcohol gives a late gin-dry breath.
Full bodied with low carbonation once the initial charge settles out.
It's a stylistic knuckleball. Definitiely in the British vein, but it doesn't really function as an IPA of any sort. It's an absolute fail when rating within the style. But I'm giving it some leeway because I find some interesting moments here, and I don't hate it. It's all fruity and sweet, and it's better approached as a quirky English Strong Ale or Barleywine.

cokes, Aug 21, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

A - dark orange with a soft lacing of white head

S - sweet, apples, caramel

T - caramel, baked apples, hint of toasted malt, mild piney bitterness in the finish, big alcohol warmth in the finish

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, very warm bordering on hot

This is not an impressive beer. For a DIPA the hops are incredibly subdued. To me this comes across as a malt bomb with way too much estery fruit. It's sweet and the apple notes border on cloying. The hops only really come in at the end and even then it's a failed attempt at balance. I'm glad I tried this one, but I won't be getting it again.

tdm168, May 26, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance: Clean copper with a orange tint

Smell: Malt sweetness and a hoppy citric profile

Head: Nice head that sticks around for a bit

Taste: Malty hoppy with a strong bitter on the back note but there's a small earthy note somewhere in the center of my palate, can't put my finger on it

Weight: Malty and rich

Finish: Citric bitter and very flavorful

Snow81, Mar 08, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +23.6%

Sprecher claims this is an English IPA so I'm reviewing it as such. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a lively off-white head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma has some citrusy and floral hops upfront, along with caramel, fruity esters, biscuit, minerals, and some alcohol. The flavor also starts out with floral and herbal hops with slight citrus notes, along with biscuit and caramel, minerals, fruity esters, chalk and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is pretty good. A tasty English IPA, I could see being disappointed if you were expecting a west coast style hop bomb but the label clearly states otherwise.

silver0rlead, Oct 07, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Peachy-amber in hue with a suggestion of copper; the color is typical of an IPA and yet lighter and oddly clear. Smallish white head, at the apex the foam was only a half finger tall. The bubbles fell quickly to a soapy and short-lived cap. After a few more moments the middle was naked. There was noticeable but spotty subsequent lacing. Overall, the appearance was quite average.

The nose doesn’t smell like a DIPA. Sort of fruity with hints of marshmallows, flowers, and candy-like sweetness. Vaguely hoppy… most Pale Ales are hoppier than this. There is nothing about the nose that is noteworthy, positively speaking anyway. I am not sure of the age of this bottle, I haven’t owned it more than a few months or so (I think). There is no way a DIPA should smell like this even after two years! Hell, I have had old IPAs that were still hoppy. I don’t know what to think. Anyway, the nose isn’t inviting. Boring.

While not hoppy, flavor-wise, the palate is moderately bitter and yet this is a fairly sweet beer. It is quite sugary with notes of toffee and caramel. Orchard fruitiness… apples, pears, figs and maybe some dates; I like the fruitiness quite a bit. Cheesy hop flavors… a sign of old age? A sign of a crappy DIPA? Maybe crappy isn’t the right word but there is something in that flavor that bothers me. The palate is bitter and sweet… fruity and cheesy with hints of alcohol heat. Solely based on taste (not in regards to style) I like this beer. It is unique. It is tasty. But for a DIPA it is a major dud.

Medium in body, low carbonation, the mouthfeel is smooth and pleasant. Agreeable.

Is this beer supposed to smell like this? Taste like this? I can’t imagine so. In some ways this beer is boring and odd. And yet, in some ways, this beer is tasty and enjoyable. My scores reflect what I taste and how I responded to it. If I scored this solely based on what a DIPA is supposed to taste like this beer would have one shitty review. While I liked it I can’t imagine me seeking this out to drink again. This DIPA further dulls the luster of Sprecher’s beers. Nevertheless, thanks Bill for the bottle.

bditty187, Jan 03, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 16 oz. brown twist off bottle. Pours a clear golden amber in color with a soapy half inch of off white foam. Decent retention and lacing. Bit dark in color and with a lingering haze.

Somewhat thick on the nose with caramel malts and a bit of spice. Very light on the hops, and may have too much age on it though this seems unlikely given other's views. Otherwise a metallic nature is present unless vigorously agitated whereby a pleasant but fleeting flash of woody hops comes out.

Alcohol is well hidden in the taste by a decent malt structure. Bit of caramel sweetness doesn't overwhelm but doesn't linger either. Decent flavor, not atypical of cold climate IPA's. Offers a good carbonation that keeps throwing a foam cap as I try to hide the metallic nature of the nose. This cap and some caramel malt allows for an ok feel, yet seems a bit misguided. Slightly drying on the finish. Drink is limited by the aroma.

Malty and chewy for the style, yet without the supporting hops. Dry and askew overall. Nothing truly negative, yet excessively rich and boring to carry on..

Note: 8.4% on label.
Freshness unknown: 090210713/01461FL bottle code.

Update 4/25/10 - Fresher bottle at 09212x

HalfFull, Feb 12, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on tap at the Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN. It may be different from the bottled version.
The appearance was a nice honey amber color. The lacy head persisted throughout the pint.
Have you ever had Bluebird grapefruit juice in the can? If so then you know what this beer on draught smells and tastes like. I'm not talking about the sissy red, but the real old style white grapefruit. Add some alcohol and there you go. Nuff said. I like this, but if you don't like grapefruit you won't.

tomfneph, Nov 12, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

Amber color with ok white head, little lacing.

Um... what? This is a double? This is an IPA? The smell isn't bad, but it's all sweet malt. There's a hint of earthy hops but it's more of an afterthought.

Same for the smell. Way too much malt sweetness for the style. Hops are present but are more bittering than flavor. The flavor oriented hops are piney, but just barely there.

Thick mouthfeel, ok carbonation. Finish is a nice dryness.

Alchohol is not detectable and it's smooth, but struggles to keep my attention.

This isn't a bad tasting beer, but I'm trying to keep it in context of the style. Sprecher says they were shooting for a balanced DIPA, which almost seems like an oxymoron to me. DIPAs can have malt balance, but certainly should swing in the direction of being in your face with the hops. One thing I did like was the 16 oz bottles, though!

Vonerichs, Jul 17, 2009