IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) - Sprecher Brewing Company

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)
No picture uploaded.

to view more.
Ratings: 282 | Reviews: 142
Reviews by cokes:
3.23/5  rDev -0.6%

Hazy rusted apricot with a tight off-white head that dwindles quickles but laces in thick sheets.
Aromatic of buttered caramel and toasted english muffins. Fruity with figs, dates, and golden raisins. Hops add little, aroma-wise, besides a minor slappy, herbal, tea-ish bitterness.
Once it hits the tongue, it's all gummy bears, caramel, and golden raisins. It dries a bit midway, as the grains appear via lemon poppyseed muffins, with a smear of butter. Bubblegum afterwards, with a tangerine undertow. Hops brings traces of mint and herbs. Alcohol gives a late gin-dry breath.
Full bodied with low carbonation once the initial charge settles out.
It's a stylistic knuckleball. Definitiely in the British vein, but it doesn't really function as an IPA of any sort. It's an absolute fail when rating within the style. But I'm giving it some leeway because I find some interesting moments here, and I don't hate it. It's all fruity and sweet, and it's better approached as a quirky English Strong Ale or Barleywine.

3.23/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured into an imperial nonic a slight chill hazed copper/bronze with a tight formed nicely defined 1/2 finger white head that held well.Aromas of sweetish dough and pithy hops,a real alcohol sweet character comes into play as well.Flavors are dominated by alcohol sweetness and caramel,the hop are are much lighter than they should be,to me its like an english strong ale in its vinious qualities.Its not a bad beer but the hops are to light only providing a scant herbal shot in the back end,again not a horrible beer but it isnt up to style in my opinion.

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Purchased from Sprecher Brewery in Glendale, WI, so this had better be pretty fresh. Poured a dark copper body with a very fluffy off-white head. Aroma was more about malts than hops which were present but very subdued. This beer was full bodied and malty sweet up front, an the hops really come out in the finish. This tasted more like an English style IPA than an American IPA, especially since it wasn't a hop bomb like others I've tried. I did enjoy it, but think they could have done better on the hop aroma.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up this 16oz bottle recently and figured I'd give it a whirl. Pours into my glass a nice amber red color with good clarity and a small bubbly head that quickly fades. Aromas begin with lots of caramel malts upfront. Herbal, floral hops come next with some nice resinous aromas. An interesting mix of hops and malts in this one.

First sip brings a big sweet caramel malt upfront that is lightly toasted followed by a nice mix of floral and herbal hops. Bitterness hits on the way down but is counteracted by the sweet malts, leaving this brew a bit on the sweet side in the end. Finishes with a lingering herbal hop aftertaste. Almost strikes me as a big English IPA in a way.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit slick. Good carbonation and a nice smoothness on the way down. This is an interesting take on a double IPA. Personally I can't say I'm really a fan of this one myself, it just doesn't bring the flavors I'm looking for when I grab a double IPA. Check it out and decide for yourself!

2.05/5  rDev -36.9%

Purchased from Mondo Vino in Denver on a whim. Hey, I know this beer ain't great, but memories and all. . .

Tons of yeastie floaties all over this. Immediately wondering how old this stuff is. Really a huge negative on the appearance, ugh. Smell was bitter, but far from hoppy.

Taste was bitter and far from hoppy. Hot alcohol heat, maltyness all over it. This was as a dipa, anything but what I look for. Sprecher makes lots of good beers, but hoppy ones ain't their strong part by any stretch of the imagination. There's some caramel, I guess the malt body for this is just fine. But that isn't what brings me to the dance.

3.27/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Pours an opaque amber color that shows way too much sediment when held to light. The head is fine, doesn't leave much lace.

S: Very sweet, actually. Smell of brown sugar. Very little trace of hops. It's pleasant but not what I expect from the style.

T: That sweetness comes through in the taste for sure, mostly up front. The hops kick in soon after, but it's a nondescript flavor. Nothing offensive, nothing remarkable. The alcohol presence is pretty nice here, however.

M: This is where it's most reminiscent of its style: sticky hop resin, lingering alcohol heat, bitterness hanging on the tongue.

D: I don't want to go nuts and say I could down a bunch of these in one sitting, but for its ABV this beer goes down fairly easily, and I don't think that's a sign of weakness.

No one's going to mistake this for a top-flight Double IPA, but I'm actually pretty fond of Sprecher's high-test series, rating notwithstanding. For the price, I think a four-pack of these makes for a nice stand-in when my wallet's thin.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured a cloudy pale copperish color with about an inch of fluffy off-white head. Great lacing on this one too.

Smell is very nice citrus and hops.

Taste is moderately hoppy but still very pleasant. Nice citrus notes coming through.

Mouthfeel is light-medium and very refreshing. Went down smooth.

Overall a really good beer. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll look for this one again.

3.17/5  rDev -2.5%

A - dark orange with a soft lacing of white head

S - sweet, apples, caramel

T - caramel, baked apples, hint of toasted malt, mild piney bitterness in the finish, big alcohol warmth in the finish

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, very warm bordering on hot

This is not an impressive beer. For a DIPA the hops are incredibly subdued. To me this comes across as a malt bomb with way too much estery fruit. It's sweet and the apple notes border on cloying. The hops only really come in at the end and even then it's a failed attempt at balance. I'm glad I tried this one, but I won't be getting it again.

4.03/5  rDev +24%

Appearance: Clean copper with a orange tint

Smell: Malt sweetness and a hoppy citric profile

Head: Nice head that sticks around for a bit

Taste: Malty hoppy with a strong bitter on the back note but there's a small earthy note somewhere in the center of my palate, can't put my finger on it

Weight: Malty and rich

Finish: Citric bitter and very flavorful

4.03/5  rDev +24%

Sprecher claims this is an English IPA so I'm reviewing it as such. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a lively off-white head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma has some citrusy and floral hops upfront, along with caramel, fruity esters, biscuit, minerals, and some alcohol. The flavor also starts out with floral and herbal hops with slight citrus notes, along with biscuit and caramel, minerals, fruity esters, chalk and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is pretty good. A tasty English IPA, I could see being disappointed if you were expecting a west coast style hop bomb but the label clearly states otherwise.

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Peachy-amber in hue with a suggestion of copper; the color is typical of an IPA and yet lighter and oddly clear. Smallish white head, at the apex the foam was only a half finger tall. The bubbles fell quickly to a soapy and short-lived cap. After a few more moments the middle was naked. There was noticeable but spotty subsequent lacing. Overall, the appearance was quite average.

The nose doesn’t smell like a DIPA. Sort of fruity with hints of marshmallows, flowers, and candy-like sweetness. Vaguely hoppy… most Pale Ales are hoppier than this. There is nothing about the nose that is noteworthy, positively speaking anyway. I am not sure of the age of this bottle, I haven’t owned it more than a few months or so (I think). There is no way a DIPA should smell like this even after two years! Hell, I have had old IPAs that were still hoppy. I don’t know what to think. Anyway, the nose isn’t inviting. Boring.

While not hoppy, flavor-wise, the palate is moderately bitter and yet this is a fairly sweet beer. It is quite sugary with notes of toffee and caramel. Orchard fruitiness… apples, pears, figs and maybe some dates; I like the fruitiness quite a bit. Cheesy hop flavors… a sign of old age? A sign of a crappy DIPA? Maybe crappy isn’t the right word but there is something in that flavor that bothers me. The palate is bitter and sweet… fruity and cheesy with hints of alcohol heat. Solely based on taste (not in regards to style) I like this beer. It is unique. It is tasty. But for a DIPA it is a major dud.

Medium in body, low carbonation, the mouthfeel is smooth and pleasant. Agreeable.

Is this beer supposed to smell like this? Taste like this? I can’t imagine so. In some ways this beer is boring and odd. And yet, in some ways, this beer is tasty and enjoyable. My scores reflect what I taste and how I responded to it. If I scored this solely based on what a DIPA is supposed to taste like this beer would have one shitty review. While I liked it I can’t imagine me seeking this out to drink again. This DIPA further dulls the luster of Sprecher’s beers. Nevertheless, thanks Bill for the bottle.

2.69/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 16 oz. brown twist off bottle. Pours a clear golden amber in color with a soapy half inch of off white foam. Decent retention and lacing. Bit dark in color and with a lingering haze.

Somewhat thick on the nose with caramel malts and a bit of spice. Very light on the hops, and may have too much age on it though this seems unlikely given other's views. Otherwise a metallic nature is present unless vigorously agitated whereby a pleasant but fleeting flash of woody hops comes out.

Alcohol is well hidden in the taste by a decent malt structure. Bit of caramel sweetness doesn't overwhelm but doesn't linger either. Decent flavor, not atypical of cold climate IPA's. Offers a good carbonation that keeps throwing a foam cap as I try to hide the metallic nature of the nose. This cap and some caramel malt allows for an ok feel, yet seems a bit misguided. Slightly drying on the finish. Drink is limited by the aroma.

Malty and chewy for the style, yet without the supporting hops. Dry and askew overall. Nothing truly negative, yet excessively rich and boring to carry on..

Note: 8.4% on label.
Freshness unknown: 090210713/01461FL bottle code.

Update 4/25/10 - Fresher bottle at 09212x

4.45/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on tap at the Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN. It may be different from the bottled version.
The appearance was a nice honey amber color. The lacy head persisted throughout the pint.
Have you ever had Bluebird grapefruit juice in the can? If so then you know what this beer on draught smells and tastes like. I'm not talking about the sissy red, but the real old style white grapefruit. Add some alcohol and there you go. Nuff said. I like this, but if you don't like grapefruit you won't.

3.18/5  rDev -2.2%

Amber color with ok white head, little lacing.

Um... what? This is a double? This is an IPA? The smell isn't bad, but it's all sweet malt. There's a hint of earthy hops but it's more of an afterthought.

Same for the smell. Way too much malt sweetness for the style. Hops are present but are more bittering than flavor. The flavor oriented hops are piney, but just barely there.

Thick mouthfeel, ok carbonation. Finish is a nice dryness.

Alchohol is not detectable and it's smooth, but struggles to keep my attention.

This isn't a bad tasting beer, but I'm trying to keep it in context of the style. Sprecher says they were shooting for a balanced DIPA, which almost seems like an oxymoron to me. DIPAs can have malt balance, but certainly should swing in the direction of being in your face with the hops. One thing I did like was the 16 oz bottles, though!

2.77/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a deep red-orange with brassy highlights and a very good head with good lacing. This was a little "off" for me, right from the aroma, which had a sawdust-like quality. The first taste is of some fair hoppiness, with that sawdust in the background again. Not much dimension to the hoppiness -- a little bit of pine, maybe the barest hint of orange, but it wasn't excessively bitter because it could just plain use more hops. This is one of those beers that don't seem that far off -- a little tinkering with the recipe could produce significantly better results. But at this point I'd have to call it another of Sprecher's misses in their recent flurry of new styles.

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep hazy orangey color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of bitter hops with distinguishable caramel malt base. Taste is also a mix between some bitter hops, though not as bitter as expected considering the style, with a nice caramel malt backbone. Full body with average carbonation. Refreshing and well done but not as hoppy as expected.

2.53/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Whoah, this was a disappointment. Served on draft, it came out kind of flat. Almost no head, very little effervescence. The smell was muddled, none of the hops presence I expected, just a boozy smell. The taste was bizarre, not much in the way of hops bitterness, and the overbearing malt presence was too sweet, syruppy, and boozy. It was pretty flat in the mouth, and one was definitely enough.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Much darker than I'd expected from a double IPA. Deep caramel color; holds the head fairly well.

Smell: A bit disappointing. With a double IPA, I was bracing for an olfactory assault of floral/fruity Cascade goodness, but found a relatively even balance between hop and malt aromas. Not bad, just unexpected, and a bit of a let down for what I was hoping form the style.

Taste: Hop bitterness is present, but not overpowering. A much larger dose of malt sweetness in the finish than I'd expected, but not cloyingly so. Good balance between the two. A very good beer--just not a very good double IPA. I get the impression that the fine folks over at Sprecher were quite concerned with not producing one of the over-the-top tongue shredding double IPAs. Something is to be said for striking a balance in a genre that often goes hop-mad to the detriment of drinkability, but the malt flavor seems out of place in a DIPA.

Overall: This is a very good beer, but not what I was hoping for. To be fair, I grew up in Wisconsin smacking down glasses of Sprecher Root Beer, loving every minute of it, and this is the first Sprecher post-21 brew I've tried; needless to say, I had high hopes...perhaps too high. If you're looking for a Hop-slam of a beer (pun intended), then look away. However, if you've grown a bit weary of the super-hop monsters that have become the standard in this genre, but you're still thinking to yourself "I sure do love me a good IPA," give this one a shot.

4.18/5  rDev +28.6%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic.
8.0% ABV, 14057 printed on neck

A - Cloudy with unfiltered sediment and/or hop particles, Sprecher's IPA2 has a warm glow shining through the raw honey-colored amber beer. The rising horizon of ivory foam eventually settles to a thin layer but not before it covers the glass in delicate dots of lace.

S - Hopper than your average IPA but no where near close to what any self-respecting hop head would consider as an American Double IPA aroma, Sprecher's IPA2 is much more of a strong English IPA with perfumy earthiness and floral characteristics (with borderline herbal qualities) escaping the maltiness. Raw honey and fruity undertones spill over onto the bready and lightly caramel-sweet base which provides a lovely base for the brew.

T - Despite the lack of a "slap-you-in-the-face" hop aroma, Sprecher's IPA2 is not without hops in flavor, in fact, its got just the opposite. This big brew has plenty of hops to go around but their focus is on a floral, slightly herbal consistency with hints of sharply bitter grapefruit rind, which significantly overlaps the complex, Munich breadiness, slightly sweet caramel malt base.

M - Sprecher's IPA2 has a bigger body but isn't overbearing on the tongue; its smooth maltiness leads into a dry and bitter finish from the hops, which makes for a hop-leaning, yet balanced brew.

O - Here's the thing about Sprecher's IPA2: the label calls this beer a Double India Pale Ale but, aside from notes of American Chinook hops (grapefruit citrus and bitterness) this beer is primarily an English-hopped beer. Its designed to sort of recreate the English beers brewed for the troops stationed in India so while its not intensely high in alcohol, its got just enough to survive a long journey, much like it's elevated hopping. Expect IPA2 to engage the earthier side of hops as opposed to big, bright citrus and tropical fruits or pine as if it's a normal English IPA on steroids. I enjoy how this beer bridges gaps and begs the question, "just how did the original IPAs taste?"

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

AROMA: Hops are present but rather subtle compared to others of this style, biscuity malt nose, some esters

APPEARANCE: slightly hazy copper colour, creamy off-white/light tan, hop-tinged head leaving a bit of lace as it falls

FLAVOUR: Medium-high bitterness, medium citrusy and resiny hop flavours, big malt backbone, well-balanced. Nice hop flavour lingers in finish along with some of the maltiness.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodied, creamy smooth; medium carbonation; alcohol noted, slight warming, but I don't know that I would guess 8.4% if I didn't read it on the label, slightly deceptive.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I'm a hophead and will enjoy some of the hoppiest beers you can set before me (and, believe me, as a repeat judge for the Alpha King Challenge during the GABF, I've had some hop monsters ;-) ), but I very much appreciate the balance in this beer; the hops aren't shy, but they aren't brash and obnoxious either (not that brash and obnoxious is necessarily a bad thing for a hophead beer). Very nicely done Craig/Randy. If I had to fault it at all, it's that it seems to fall short of the double/Imperial IPA style (though apparently not in the alcohol content). Definitely a solid IPA, but possibly not "Imperial" enough in the hop character. Enjoyable beer, will definitely buy again, just not quite to the stated style.

4.07/5  rDev +25.2%

appearance: Clear amber, decent head.
smell: Nice but I had this at a restaurant and wondered if they brought the right beer. Hops are there but not up front.
taste: Again, I had a few sips before I was convinced this was a DIPA, though certainly a malt heavy specimen. Good taste though.
mouthfeel: Full.
drinkability: The more I had the more I liked it. Again, not a prototypical DIPA but a nice brew.

3.01/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 16oz bottle into a pint glass

A-about a 2 finger off-white/beige head that fades to a thin film that lasts to the bottom of the glass. Is a dark cloudy amber color in the glass

S-Faint hop aroma, not really what I was expecting for a DIPA.

T- Slight citrus taste follewd by soem bitterness maybe something like lemon pith.

M-Good carbonation still had bubbles rising when I was halfway done with the glass.

O-I could drink a couple of these but I am not an IPA fan if that tells you anything, it is more like an english ale than an IPA or even a DIPA for sure.

3.69/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Pours a bit cloudy amber, with an orange hue. The carbonation created a flurry of bubbles quickly rising to the top, creating a smallish head no larger than two fingers. The head retention was good. I love the look of this beer, which improved once it had time to settle out, clearing the way to the beer.

Smell: The nose was too mild for a double IPA, but there is plenty of pine and herbal scents with some citrus hints obvious.

Taste: The taste of this beer is great. Flat out, great. I anticipated a much more forward rush of hops, but was disappointed when the double IPA marketing failed to produce. Notwithstanding the name, I really like this beer. Very malty and quite exquisitely balanced with hops, it's sweet taste and caramel. Once I got over the name, I became a bigger fan with each drink. Name it correctly and it's a winner.

Mouthfeel: It's a medium bodied beer with good carbonation that dissipates and contains. There is no dryness and the mouth waits to receive more.

Drinkability: Sprecher is a great brewery with another superb product. The 16 oz bottles engage the drinker up front Aside from the characterization of a Double India Pale Ale, this is a drinkable beer over and over with little concern for being overbearing.

3.73/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Crisp copper/caramel like color with a fairly large, foamy, light, fluffy, whispy, white head. Average retention leaving a thin lace.

S - Not picking up a lot of aroma, and very little hop aroma is coming out. Pretty malty with some caramel and toffee and predominantly pale malt. Some slightly herbal/tea hop aroma and some light fruitiness.

T - Like the nose suggested, this is not a West Coast DIPA. Pale malt is quite strong with caramel and biscuit flavors being strong. Some hoppy flavors come out though. Herbal/tea and grassy being strongest. A faint fruitiness, particularly apple. The hops do provide a strong level of bitterness, and do make their presence known.

M - Lighter side of medium body with average carbonation. Crisp feel and a slightly drying finish.

D - I didn't have trouble finishing the glass, but I didn't really want another afterward either.

Notes: Very much an English style DIPA. Malt makes a strong presence in the flavor. Hops definitely provided a bitterness, but the hop flavors were pretty subtle. Overall I enjoyed drinking it, but I didn't really feel like having another. Not a bad beer and it's nice to have a DIPA that isn't a West Coast one available, but I wasn't blown away. If the price is right, get this, if not don't feel too bad if you skip it.

3.17/5  rDev -2.5%

Damn had no idea this was a summer beer so it's at least 3 months old. Also my ABV is 7.72% listed on the bottle.

A - Looks like a very nice IPA. I get a nice light amber, clear in color (thankfully no sediment) and a 1/2 inch of sticky white head. Head could have been a bit more sticky with lacing.

S - Again very nice I get a strong earthy bitter hop profile very piney and a weak malt balance but it is there.

T - Wow it's old but it's still very bitter and piney. An assault of earthy pine bitterness which quickly rounds out a bit with a cracker like malt. Finish has some more bittering hops but I could use more floral hops...

M - Light to medium it was fairly easy to drink.

Overall I have had many other more balanced IPA's and a few other more balanced DIPA's. It's not bad just not worth a repeated purchase being .2% higher ABV than most stellar IPA's (Sculpin and Union Jack for example)

to view more.