IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) - Sprecher Brewing Company

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)
No picture.

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: logansboat15 on 06-18-2007

Ratings: 287 | Reviews: 143
4.77/5  rDev +46.8%

Poured a nice amber color out of the usual brown pint bottle, nice lacing, head appropriate for the strength. smells really good, malt with hop spiciness. Taste is excellent for an IPA of any price, I happened to pay $6.49 for four. This beer's quality compares favorably even with expensive imports from Indiana, Thanks, Randy! Mouthfeel is good, cold and kind of thick. Drinkability is excellent, let me put it this way, this is just shy of being a snifter beer, but still goes down great by the mugfull. Is mugfull a word? I've had two of these, it is now!

4.45/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on tap at the Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN. It may be different from the bottled version.
The appearance was a nice honey amber color. The lacy head persisted throughout the pint.
Have you ever had Bluebird grapefruit juice in the can? If so then you know what this beer on draught smells and tastes like. I'm not talking about the sissy red, but the real old style white grapefruit. Add some alcohol and there you go. Nuff said. I like this, but if you don't like grapefruit you won't.

4.18/5  rDev +28.6%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic.
8.0% ABV, 14057 printed on neck

A - Cloudy with unfiltered sediment and/or hop particles, Sprecher's IPA2 has a warm glow shining through the raw honey-colored amber beer. The rising horizon of ivory foam eventually settles to a thin layer but not before it covers the glass in delicate dots of lace.

S - Hopper than your average IPA but no where near close to what any self-respecting hop head would consider as an American Double IPA aroma, Sprecher's IPA2 is much more of a strong English IPA with perfumy earthiness and floral characteristics (with borderline herbal qualities) escaping the maltiness. Raw honey and fruity undertones spill over onto the bready and lightly caramel-sweet base which provides a lovely base for the brew.

T - Despite the lack of a "slap-you-in-the-face" hop aroma, Sprecher's IPA2 is not without hops in flavor, in fact, its got just the opposite. This big brew has plenty of hops to go around but their focus is on a floral, slightly herbal consistency with hints of sharply bitter grapefruit rind, which significantly overlaps the complex, Munich breadiness, slightly sweet caramel malt base.

M - Sprecher's IPA2 has a bigger body but isn't overbearing on the tongue; its smooth maltiness leads into a dry and bitter finish from the hops, which makes for a hop-leaning, yet balanced brew.

O - Here's the thing about Sprecher's IPA2: the label calls this beer a Double India Pale Ale but, aside from notes of American Chinook hops (grapefruit citrus and bitterness) this beer is primarily an English-hopped beer. Its designed to sort of recreate the English beers brewed for the troops stationed in India so while its not intensely high in alcohol, its got just enough to survive a long journey, much like it's elevated hopping. Expect IPA2 to engage the earthier side of hops as opposed to big, bright citrus and tropical fruits or pine as if it's a normal English IPA on steroids. I enjoy how this beer bridges gaps and begs the question, "just how did the original IPAs taste?"

4.18/5  rDev +28.6%

Make sure this is served warm, about 50 degrees F, or 10 C. Let there be balance!

Appearance: Deep burnt orange/ amber.

Smell: Big malt smell, hop smell is evident, though not in the sense of West Coast IPA. Ergo, no dry hopping or bitchslap in the face hop smell, like Lagunitas Maximus. Smells like a Sprecher, no?

Taste: Large malt grain bill makes this a malty head of a brew. The malt, the bittering and flavor hops are contact the senses simultaneously. Whoa. Being the second four pack, and the second real tasting, this beer has opened up to me.

Originally I was disappointed from the first four, but now, a few months later I'm feeling the vibe. It says right on the bottle that this beer focuses on the malt bill and not on the hops. It certainly tastes as such and should be rated accordingly. Sprecher makes no claim to it being a hop monster, or WCIPA style... At 88 IBU's, it's bitter enough for the style, just not craft beer norm.

Mouthfeel: Again, with a generous grain bill for the style, it has an outstanding, full body. You know you're drinking a craft beer when you drink this.

Drinkability: I could probably consume a four pack in one, long sitting. However, this probably not a session beer, unless you're really really hungry.

Overall, a unique and possibly historically accurate version of the Double Imperial Pale Ale, if it is a dated style. Bitter, malty, beer.

4.15/5  rDev +27.7%

Randy Sprecher's interpretation of the Yankee Double IPA is exceptional. The beer pours an inviting deep, clear copper hue with a faint head and minimal lace. A rich citrusy hop aroma predominates with a fresh malt and bready undertone. The taste has a rich, sweet maltines and a caramelized character that overtakes the dry hop finish in a subtle, yet complex fashion. A full, satisfying and substantive mouthfeel rounds out the experience. IPA2 is a fine addition to Sprecher's Premium Reserve line-up. Hopefully this fine brew will be available year-round.

4.1/5  rDev +26.2%

I live in Milwaukee and have only seen this one on occasion. Last time I missed the opportunity to pick a few up, so this time I didn't hesitate. From all of my experience with Sprecher, I expected it to be have strong Bavarian malty roots, and it did.

A- Pours amber, maybe a little darker than most IPA's, but I may just be thinking this because I expect it to. Pretty decent lacing, but it doesn't really stick along for long.

S- Smells hoppy at first, but you can really smell the malts underneathl.

T- Very...creamy, for a double IPA. A lot more so than I expected. It actually complements the bitterness of the hops quite well. I'm typically a straight IPA/APA person, but I really enjoy the taste of this. Malts are very present, but far from overpowering the hops.

M - I think the mouthfeel is perhaps the most unique part. Seems like a mixture between a hoppy IPA and a super malty dunkel or something. I was eating some spicy nachos while I drank my first one, and it could not have possibly been a better beer to go with them.

D- I really liked this beer. If you go into it expecting a bitter, biting hoppy double IPA, you will be disappointed. However, knowing what to expect from Sprecher, I could not have been more thrilled by this. I will gladly buy it again.

Sprecher does an excelletn job at fusing their traditional malt inspired beer style to a double IPA. Very subtly and tastefully done, I am extremely impressed. My only problem with it is that I live 10 minutes from the brewery, and still have a hard time finding this beer.

Serving type: bottl

4.07/5  rDev +25.2%

appearance: Clear amber, decent head.
smell: Nice but I had this at a restaurant and wondered if they brought the right beer. Hops are there but not up front.
taste: Again, I had a few sips before I was convinced this was a DIPA, though certainly a malt heavy specimen. Good taste though.
mouthfeel: Full.
drinkability: The more I had the more I liked it. Again, not a prototypical DIPA but a nice brew.

4.07/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours a rich dark amber to light bronze color. Cloudy and hazy. The head is a thickly textured whipped cream off white. With a lacy retention.

Smell - Very strong hop and malt nose. Rich notes of bread, and strong caramel and raw brown sugar.

Taste- Initially a sweet sugar note, then the nutty, then fruit and then the strong hop kick. Very much a cognac or strong distilled alcohol bite in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Starts off smooth with a sweet viscosity and then a hop dryness. No doubting the 7.72% ABV marked on this bottle of IPA squared!

Serving type: 16 oz. bottle poured into a stemless copita

First personal experience with a double IPA. My overall opinion? WOW! This is IPA. Not a session but truly a dessert / rocking nightcap!!

4.03/5  rDev +24%

Appearance: Clean copper with a orange tint

Smell: Malt sweetness and a hoppy citric profile

Head: Nice head that sticks around for a bit

Taste: Malty hoppy with a strong bitter on the back note but there's a small earthy note somewhere in the center of my palate, can't put my finger on it

Weight: Malty and rich

Finish: Citric bitter and very flavorful

4.03/5  rDev +24%

Sprecher claims this is an English IPA so I'm reviewing it as such. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a lively off-white head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma has some citrusy and floral hops upfront, along with caramel, fruity esters, biscuit, minerals, and some alcohol. The flavor also starts out with floral and herbal hops with slight citrus notes, along with biscuit and caramel, minerals, fruity esters, chalk and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is pretty good. A tasty English IPA, I could see being disappointed if you were expecting a west coast style hop bomb but the label clearly states otherwise.

4.02/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and poor lacing. Smells of slight earthy malt, sweet malt, strong hops, alcohol, and slight dark citrus. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, slight roasted malt, strong hops, alcohol, slight dark citrus, slight tart malt, and a hint of pale malt. Overall, a good body, aroma, and great complexity.

A: Beautiful, clear, deep amber body under a luxurious pale-tan head.

S: Awesome citrus, hint of caramel and biscuit.

T: Not what I was expecting. Without getting hung up on styles, I am very pleased. It's malty up front with a nice hoppy finish. My only issue is that it may be a little sour and then dry at the end (ABV 8.4%).

M: Medium body, nice carbonation. A lasting tingle.

D: Very nice. A fine offering from Sprecher. I would be tickled if my brew turned out this good.

3.97/5  rDev +22.2%

Bottle provided as extra in trade with Kirok1999

A - Poured into ceramic mug (it's all I had)..poured with a deep amber color that I wasn't expecting into a small off white head that subsided rather quickly leaving a halo of foam around the top of the beverage

S - Big malty smell with a hint of citrus hops in there but much more of the toasty/biscuity smell

T - This has a big malt taste up front (I'm a fan of that) that is finished with a tang of the hops..not as big a boom on the hops as I was expecting

M - Full and creamy with a balanced carbonation that coats the tounge fully

D - This is a highly quaffable libation if I don't say so myself...I could see this as an after dinner relaxer..the higher ABV makes it a one bottle per session experience in my opinion...overall a good beer

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured a cloudy pale copperish color with about an inch of fluffy off-white head. Great lacing on this one too.

Smell is very nice citrus and hops.

Taste is moderately hoppy but still very pleasant. Nice citrus notes coming through.

Mouthfeel is light-medium and very refreshing. Went down smooth.

Overall a really good beer. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll look for this one again.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Much darker than I'd expected from a double IPA. Deep caramel color; holds the head fairly well.

Smell: A bit disappointing. With a double IPA, I was bracing for an olfactory assault of floral/fruity Cascade goodness, but found a relatively even balance between hop and malt aromas. Not bad, just unexpected, and a bit of a let down for what I was hoping form the style.

Taste: Hop bitterness is present, but not overpowering. A much larger dose of malt sweetness in the finish than I'd expected, but not cloyingly so. Good balance between the two. A very good beer--just not a very good double IPA. I get the impression that the fine folks over at Sprecher were quite concerned with not producing one of the over-the-top tongue shredding double IPAs. Something is to be said for striking a balance in a genre that often goes hop-mad to the detriment of drinkability, but the malt flavor seems out of place in a DIPA.

Overall: This is a very good beer, but not what I was hoping for. To be fair, I grew up in Wisconsin smacking down glasses of Sprecher Root Beer, loving every minute of it, and this is the first Sprecher post-21 brew I've tried; needless to say, I had high hopes...perhaps too high. If you're looking for a Hop-slam of a beer (pun intended), then look away. However, if you've grown a bit weary of the super-hop monsters that have become the standard in this genre, but you're still thinking to yourself "I sure do love me a good IPA," give this one a shot.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

a: dark copper color with about a quarter inch of head that is not dissapearing
s: hmm kind of a bisquit smell, piney and grassy hops really noticable very inviting
t: starts with complex malts that are followed by strong hop bitterness very enjoyable
m: medium bodied beer with very nice level of carbonation this is truly a nice beer

overall this beer is really good, the hop bitterness was amazing very enjoyable

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)
Sprecher Brewing Company

Bottle States ABV @ 7.72%

Pours a mostly clear deep orange/copper color with a chill haze and topped with a pillowy foam. Lots of lace documents each sip in hop oil. Smells of floral, earthy, herbal hops and bready malts. In the taste, earthy and wood tone flavor from the hops, mild grapefruit and some pine. Solidly bitter, with oily resins sticking to the palette. The malt body gives off a fair amount of sweetness in a caramel and biscuit fashion. A decent balance, but leaning toward the hoppy side. Alcohol is well disguised. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp, with a good bite. Overall, a pretty solid "imperial" IPA, would certainly have again.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Aroma: Nice balance of hops and malts. Hops are citrus and floral. Malts are caramel and Munich. Some alcohol.

Appearance: Pours a huge light tan head. Lots of lacing and impressive retention. Deep gold with orange highlights. Lots of small and very large particles in suspension.

Taste: Citrus, resinous hops followed by sweet caramel malt. The hops pack a punch at the start but then the resinous hop flavor slowly fades away, never quite leaving.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Chunky thanks to the large particles which I can actually detect on my tongue. Mild carbonation.

Overall: Impressed. A bit mild for an IPA, but definitely intense hops flavor nicely balanced by bold sweet malts.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

A- Nice dark amber, very clear, with a thin white head and not much lacing.
S- Somewhat hoppy, not what I'd expect from a DIPA. Actually more malt in the smell than hops...hummm. There's a lot of sweetness in the smell.
T- They really did the malt bill on this one. Sweet and bready, caramel and dark fruit. Hops are only present in the finish where they linger as a slight bitterness.
M- Smooth and creamy and gets even more so as it warms.
D- Nice and easy to drink, smooth and mellow and very well balanced. I like the beer and I like the 16oz bottle.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Served on-tap in a pint glass at the Broadway Brewhouse in Nashville. Hazy, copper-colored body with about a one- finger light tan head. Decent amount of lacing.

The aroma is light but definitely has citrus hop notes. A little sweet malt in the background.

The flavor is good and tasty. Solid citrus hop notes, leaning toward the grapefruit and lemon spectrum, with some sweet maltiness to balance.

Medium mouthfeel that is very drinkable. Surprised by this one and enjoyed it.

3.87/5  rDev +19.1%

Several years ago my sister who was attending Marquette University sent me some Sprecher. I remember it being quite good but since Beer Advocate wasn't around then I don't remember how good.
Beer Advocate is here now and I can record the fact that I think this beer is very good.
Pours out a clear dark gold color with a small head that fades and leaves little lacing.
The first aroma that I noticed was a piney hop. In fact it smells like a veritable pine forest.
Very malty full flavored brew. Not as sweet as some other double IPA's that I have had but very nice.
Finishes with a good hop bitterness not too much and not too little.
Wish I lived in Wisconsin so I could get more Sprecher beers.

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

AROMA: Hops are present but rather subtle compared to others of this style, biscuity malt nose, some esters

APPEARANCE: slightly hazy copper colour, creamy off-white/light tan, hop-tinged head leaving a bit of lace as it falls

FLAVOUR: Medium-high bitterness, medium citrusy and resiny hop flavours, big malt backbone, well-balanced. Nice hop flavour lingers in finish along with some of the maltiness.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodied, creamy smooth; medium carbonation; alcohol noted, slight warming, but I don't know that I would guess 8.4% if I didn't read it on the label, slightly deceptive.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I'm a hophead and will enjoy some of the hoppiest beers you can set before me (and, believe me, as a repeat judge for the Alpha King Challenge during the GABF, I've had some hop monsters ;-) ), but I very much appreciate the balance in this beer; the hops aren't shy, but they aren't brash and obnoxious either (not that brash and obnoxious is necessarily a bad thing for a hophead beer). Very nicely done Craig/Randy. If I had to fault it at all, it's that it seems to fall short of the double/Imperial IPA style (though apparently not in the alcohol content). Definitely a solid IPA, but possibly not "Imperial" enough in the hop character. Enjoyable beer, will definitely buy again, just not quite to the stated style.

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

An amber colored beer, cloudy with average carbonation. Has a dense white head.
I smell a caramel malt around with a very sutle earthy hop bouqet.
A nicely balanced brew of caramel malts and earthy hops maybe a bit herbal too.
A medium body beer.
Doesn't match up well to the label. I find this beer really to be lacking flavor. I expected more of a flavor wallop.
All in all it's pretty good.

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint. Third from an 8 pack sampler.

Appearance is light copper. Completely clear with a one finger rocky head that sticks around and leaves thick lace and legs.

Aroma is floral hops with bready biscuity smells. Roasted caramel malt is heavy on the nose. Sweet bready raisin aromas with candied fruit. Molasses and dark corn syrup.

Taste is heavy malt in the front with a hop presence. Hops are bitter, but not piney or citrus. Nutty fruit bread with baking soda back. Sour, but not cloying. Hops are different, I don't think I've ever tasted this hop profile before. Warm alcohol backing ending with astringent hops.

Mouthfeel is heavy, creamy and slick. Carbonation is perfect and carries the malt well.

Drinkability is good, but a little sourness on the finish and the strange hop profile makes me think I won't return to this one.

Hops were weaker than I expected. The label makes i sound like a hop bomb, but it's actually pretty subdued. However, I think the latest trend in SUPER MEGA HOP beers make this a refreshing change, not too much and didn't burn out my tongue like the usual suspects.

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a burn orange with a respectable beige head that stays sticky and fluffy while drinking.

Taste is muted hops, this beer may have been cellaring for awhile, it is hard to say because I don't know how to read the numbers on the bottle. This tastes like an aged DIPA, not a fresh DIPA.

Overall I'm enjoying it, definitly more on the malt side then the hops side. Malty, bitter, sweet, and muted hops. To me this tastes a lot like Hardcore IPA (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/41505) - but I could be way off with that statement.

I'm really starting to dig DIPAs that lack the grapefruit and hophead profile. Does that still make them DIPAs? Well... is DIPA a style you can really classify? Hrm...

Overall a decent beer that will be slammed by the hop heads :P

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) from Sprecher Brewing Company