Follow our progress ...

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) | Sprecher Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)

Sprecher Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Added by logansboat15 on 06-18-2007

Reviews: 147 | Ratings: 306
2.51/5  rDev -22.5%

Brewery is about 20 miles from my home. Saw this at the liquor store and figured I'd give it a shot. Looked for a date code, as I do on all IPAs, and there was one, but it was not decipherable. Should have passed. Heavy malt aroma, which told me right away this was way past its prime. Taste confirmed it. Very little hop flavor, just very bitter on the finish. Basically, just bitter and malt, and old malt at that. I'd really love to taste this fresh. Maybe the next time I'm up by the brewery. I'll see if they have some fresh.

3.42/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

There was something to the smell of this beer that was just not right....and for the life of me I can't place it. My neighbor who just recently returned from Wisc on business brought this one home to try. It poured a golden clear with white head and not much lace. The scent....weird. The taste wasn't too bad but it certainly wasn't sessionable. It stayed true to English style so it was more bitter with a sweet malt to try an balance. The mouthfeel was medium in body with goo carbonation. Overall it was ok...probably wouldn't go out of my way to seek this one out.

2.04/5  rDev -37%

Appearance was kinda wretched, those huge yeast chunks everywhere. Smell was almost all c hop bitterness and nothing else. But not exactly the good kind, old.

Taste was more bitterness without any help taste wise from the body or hops. Alcohol extremely prominent. Extremely below average.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have a sneaking suspicion that this bottle of beer came to me courtesy of my (usually) in-person trader, tone77, who has since fled south for the winter. I always get as excited as a puppy when I see him on my porch with his load of mixed bottles & CANs for me and I look forward to his return in the spring. I see that no approved pic exists, so I am taking that FORAC. I also see that it is a screw-top bottle. Hmm.

Nothing to report from the bottle, nor anything to report from the non-existent Pop!, so a gentle pour was in order. Nothing to report there, either. Phew! If there was ever a more flat-lined start to a review, I would like to see it! A gentle pour raised a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was oddly malt-forward, more like an EIPA than a DIPA, even slightly biscuity. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was an amalgam of a biting pine hops presence with a caramel/biscuit malt backbone. It had a prickly quality on my tongue, whether from the CO2 or its seeming unwillingness/inability to get along with itself, but this was a house divided. Finish was slightly hot, very dry, but not really pleasant as a whole. It is disappointing, since I generally adore Sprecher's products, from pop to beer, but not in this case. Sorry.

2.92/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a orange/golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of light hops, some malts. Taste is of some hops, medium bitterness, not very tasty, kind of unbalanced and lacking in flavor. Feels medium bodied in overall mediocre at best, to many good DIPA's out there to waste time with this one.

2.17/5  rDev -33%

This beer is just a malty mess, tastes skunked but I can't find a bottling date. I hope the rest of their beers aren't so disappointing.
Mouthfeel: Flat and unimpressive.
Smell: Indistinguishable from any unbalanced malty IPA
Taste: No direction way too many english hops
Overall: Wish I looked up the beer before buying it.

2.23/5  rDev -31.2%

Note to self: Never again go to the craft beer shop without the iPhone so that you can check BeerAdvocate reviews before trying something new. Why did I buy this? There's nothing distinctive, nothing interesting, no complexity, not much flavor. It's not that it's bad - grocery store beer isn't "bad" - it's just not much of anything. A DIPA is supposed the be the product of a generous bounty of hops and malts. Where did they all go in this one? They're nowhere to be found.

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - Pours 1 inch of fluffy, off-white foam, which has good staying power. Reduces slowly to 1cm. Color is orange and translucent, but not crystal clear. Visible carbonation.
Smell - Tropical fruit, citrus, floral. I would have liked more smell; maybe the bottle is a little older and it has faded? Not bad, but too subtle... Like you really have to hunt for it.
Taste - The taste starts out quite nice. Floral hop taste is front and center, but quickly yields to an awful, astringent flavor akin to sucking on a tea bag. And it lingers. It is a form of harsh bitterness that is very unpleasant.
Mouthfeel - No problems. Medium body, no noticeable alcohol, fair carbonation.
Overall: This beer has taste issues. It looks great in the glass, but the smell falters, until the taste completely falls through. A disappointment.

4.18/5  rDev +29%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic.
8.0% ABV, 14057 printed on neck

A - Cloudy with unfiltered sediment and/or hop particles, Sprecher's IPA2 has a warm glow shining through the raw honey-colored amber beer. The rising horizon of ivory foam eventually settles to a thin layer but not before it covers the glass in delicate dots of lace.

S - Hopper than your average IPA but no where near close to what any self-respecting hop head would consider as an American Double IPA aroma, Sprecher's IPA2 is much more of a strong English IPA with perfumy earthiness and floral characteristics (with borderline herbal qualities) escaping the maltiness. Raw honey and fruity undertones spill over onto the bready and lightly caramel-sweet base which provides a lovely base for the brew.

T - Despite the lack of a "slap-you-in-the-face" hop aroma, Sprecher's IPA2 is not without hops in flavor, in fact, its got just the opposite. This big brew has plenty of hops to go around but their focus is on a floral, slightly herbal consistency with hints of sharply bitter grapefruit rind, which significantly overlaps the complex, Munich breadiness, slightly sweet caramel malt base.

M - Sprecher's IPA2 has a bigger body but isn't overbearing on the tongue; its smooth maltiness leads into a dry and bitter finish from the hops, which makes for a hop-leaning, yet balanced brew.

O - Here's the thing about Sprecher's IPA2: the label calls this beer a Double India Pale Ale but, aside from notes of American Chinook hops (grapefruit citrus and bitterness) this beer is primarily an English-hopped beer. Its designed to sort of recreate the English beers brewed for the troops stationed in India so while its not intensely high in alcohol, its got just enough to survive a long journey, much like it's elevated hopping. Expect IPA2 to engage the earthier side of hops as opposed to big, bright citrus and tropical fruits or pine as if it's a normal English IPA on steroids. I enjoy how this beer bridges gaps and begs the question, "just how did the original IPAs taste?"

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Sprecher Double IPA

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Sam Adam's perfect pint glass.

A) Nice looking amber brew with a full finger of slightly off white head. Decent retention and some lacing.

S) Perhaps age has muted the aroma a bit here. I can't locate a bottling date, but from what I gather this is a summer release. I just pick up a shit-load of soggy grain and a little citrus.

T) Sadly, I must report this follows the nose. Quite grassy and a little bitter on the backend. Not a pleasant aftertaste. If I'm looking for some bread in this shit sandwich, I'd have to say the alcohol is well hidden.

M) Medium bodied and a bit over carbonated for my liking. Not very fun to drink from a mouthfeel standpoint.

O) My journey through the leftover Christmas beer continues... This was an epic fail. Sprecher has some good beers, but this ain't one of them. Sorry, but I cannot recommend this beer.

3.42/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No freshness date, and no indication that it is a summer seasonal.

Pours hazed/clouded amber with a thin, wispy, slowly fading cover. Minimal lacing sticks.

The smell is of citrus, caramel and some black pepper.

The taste is of pine/resin with some tropical fruit. It has a firm caramel backing. Black pepper spicing is in the warm finish.

The feel is pretty smooth despite noticeable alcohol heat.

While hops are noticeable, it has a boozy caramel backing. It is a decent double IPA overall.

I'll try it again in the summer, when it is fresh, but freshness of the hops didn't seem to be a problem with this one.

3.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I want to rate this a bit higher because it is a favored style and it does not offend and it is a reasonably (cheap) beer for the style, but it is a bit funky. The appearance is really nice. I back lit it in a new location in my kitchen and I was excited about the bright orange. It isn't clear and doesn't have the biggest head but that is ok for the style.

The rest doesn't fare as well. The aroma has a funky quality. Spunky funky. It carries into the taste and aftertaste. It's nice and bitter and stuff, but there is a funky taste like it has gone bad. Infected.

I will not buy this again due to the funky taste.

1.81/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Sprecher "IPA ^2" (i.e. "IPA Squared). "Double India Pale Ale." Reviewed as an imperial IPA because it plainly identifies as such. 7.72% ABV confirmed per the label. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap acquired at me local Whole Foods as part of a mixed six-pack and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of white-khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Nice even lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is below average - between one and two minutes.

Body colour is a hazy nontransparent translucent peach-copper. Abundant yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's a bit murky for the style, but I'm optimistic.

Sm: Off-putting tropical fruit notes: pineapple, mango, and passionfruit. Boozy. Pale malts. Sweet, sticky, and nectary. An unpleasant aroma of below average strength. Awfully sugary, with some resinous character.

No yeast character is detectable.

T/Mf: Quite poorly constructed. Sweet, sticky, and hop-forward, with the worst possible tropical fruit notes: stale orange, passionfruit, mango, pineapple. Boozy as hell to boot. Sugary and cloying. Cane sugar. Poorly executed caramel. Nectary. Some herbal tea-like notes with an accompanying astringent bitterness. Zero balance here. No subtlety. It's a misguided mess.

Too full bodied. Overbearing. Overcarbonated. Too thick. Syrupy. Smooth and wet. Horrid presence on the palate. Quite poorly executed. Doesn't suit the style at all.

Dr: Hard to drink, hard to stomach. A very poor attempt at the style. Boozy. Quite atrocious stuff; I did not expect that from Sprecher. I would definitely not buy this again, and I'll struggle to finish just this bottle. Not at all recommended.

Low D-

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

App- Good color for and IPA style, head is less than standard. Some suspended sediment.
Smell- I pick up a little of that intoxicating hop smell, but it is faint for a DIPA.
Taste- Meh. Bitter, buy not in that hoppy good way. Unbalanced, missing what makes one buy a DIPA, something went wrong here. A let down for sure. Maybe they mixed an IPA with a Marzen, I don't know, I'm lost.
Mouthfeel- A little thin, missing that silky feel I'm looking for. However not objectionable.
Overall- DIPA fail.

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Went to Wisconsin for a family vacation and picked up a four pack of this to enjoy on the lake front. Poured into a pint glass. I had picked up this and a couple new glarus brews but decided to try this one first, mistake. It's really dull on the palate and pretty heavy, actually quite hard to drink. So bad that I even thought about dumping it out. Will never buy again as there's so many better double IPA's on the market...save yourself the time and money and pass this one up...

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a cloudy light red/orange with a nice white head. Smells of sweet floral and citrus hops, very inviting. Tastes of citrus hops and slight malt, but not sharp like a beer of this type should. Beer is a little heavily carbonated, but medium body still goes down well. Overall, a slightly above average beer.

3.17/5  rDev -2.2%

A - dark orange with a soft lacing of white head

S - sweet, apples, caramel

T - caramel, baked apples, hint of toasted malt, mild piney bitterness in the finish, big alcohol warmth in the finish

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, very warm bordering on hot

This is not an impressive beer. For a DIPA the hops are incredibly subdued. To me this comes across as a malt bomb with way too much estery fruit. It's sweet and the apple notes border on cloying. The hops only really come in at the end and even then it's a failed attempt at balance. I'm glad I tried this one, but I won't be getting it again.

Poured from their 12oz bottle -

Appearance - Pours a quick finger of offwhite eggshell foam, dissipates pretty quickly. Color is a hazy orange amber. Whoah - there is a ton of sediment floating around in here, and a storm of effervescense, we're talking large pieces here, like seeing debris in a tornado video - seems a bit odd, and seems to be too much.

Smell - Orange, mango and tropical, and then some floral pollen, and maybe even a slight chalky smell. Also starts to heat up towards the end, could be better balanced at 7.7%.

Taste - Taste is very heavy on the floral hops, clover and pollen, there is some light tropical and orange flavors in the background here too. About halfway through the sip a chalky dryness and some grapefruit pith and bitter floral begins to assert itself.

Mouthfeel - Almost medium mouthfeel, slight creamy smoothness, carb is just below medium, drinks easily, and is on the slick side.

Overall - Really not a bad dipa, very heavily floral, seems a bit one sided though. Also a bit unbalanced, you can really start to pick up the alcohol halfway through. If you like floral ipa's oyu may want to try this, otherwise I can't recommend this one.

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The beer looked clear in the mug, with light copper colored body, and a head that was a little thicker than the width of one finger. The smell was very mild for the style with a herbal-spicy hop smell followed by carbonation smell. The initial taste was quite spicy and resinous with notes of chill pepper, ginger, and cinnamon, but it also suffered from a metallic tinge. This was followed by a honey like sweetness, and the finish was a little floral. The mouthfeel was harsher than I like, and the alcohol was weirdly hot for a beer that was under 8% ABV. Overall misses the mark for me.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Another six-ounce taster at the Wisconsin Dells Sprecher Brewpub. I wish every place in the world had six-ounce tasters.

Shows up darker in color than expected, nearly the same dark red that my scotch ale is, same low carbonation. Nose isn't much to speak of: mild grain, malt. Hops? Nah.

IPA2 should be renamed MALTPA2, because there are scant discernable hops. Big, sweet, light malt bite right up front. trailed by a warm graininess, cracker, & a scamper of hops right at the end. But they're really lost in the malts.

IIPA to me means I'm looking for hop penetration, not a chaste hop peck on the cheek, which is what this brew delivers. Decent enough, but not something I'd need to have again.

3.41/5  rDev +5.2%

Sampled as part of a flight at Sprecher's Restaurant in Wisconsin Dells. Pour was orange-amber with a smallish head, leaving decent lacing. Smell was quite faint overall with barely detectable elements of orange, resin and grassy spice. Taste was more citrus pith flavor, with moderate bitterness. Some underlying tropical elements, but these were faint. Not a basketful of mangos unfortunately. Mouthfeel was medium, not as creamy as I would have liked. Overall has some beginnings of good flavor, but is fairly one dimensional. Smell is especially weak.

2.05/5  rDev -36.7%

Purchased from Mondo Vino in Denver on a whim. Hey, I know this beer ain't great, but memories and all. . .

Tons of yeastie floaties all over this. Immediately wondering how old this stuff is. Really a huge negative on the appearance, ugh. Smell was bitter, but far from hoppy.

Taste was bitter and far from hoppy. Hot alcohol heat, maltyness all over it. This was as a dipa, anything but what I look for. Sprecher makes lots of good beers, but hoppy ones ain't their strong part by any stretch of the imagination. There's some caramel, I guess the malt body for this is just fine. But that isn't what brings me to the dance.

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

A-cloudy dark orange with a thin light tan head

S-bitter grains and spearmint. Not the best of smells. Herbal and strong

T-comes in with a decently bitter and herbal/grainy flavor. The taste is actually a lot better than the nose lets on. There is still an odd hint of spearmint in the after-taste. It's subtle but there.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a good creamy finish

O-it's actually a decent beer, though it doesn't compare to the better double IPAs. It has an easy going flavor that lets it be a fine drinker.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

Pours a dark copper color, slightly cloudy with a thick slightly off white head.

Smell is very sweet and malty with a hint of pine.

Taste is piney and sweet carmel. Finish dominated by the pine.

A very meh DIPA. Many better options in my area.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Aroma: Nice balance of hops and malts. Hops are citrus and floral. Malts are caramel and Munich. Some alcohol.

Appearance: Pours a huge light tan head. Lots of lacing and impressive retention. Deep gold with orange highlights. Lots of small and very large particles in suspension.

Taste: Citrus, resinous hops followed by sweet caramel malt. The hops pack a punch at the start but then the resinous hop flavor slowly fades away, never quite leaving.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Chunky thanks to the large particles which I can actually detect on my tongue. Mild carbonation.

Overall: Impressed. A bit mild for an IPA, but definitely intense hops flavor nicely balanced by bold sweet malts.

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) from Sprecher Brewing Company