IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) - Sprecher Brewing Company

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: logansboat15 on 06-18-2007)
View: Beers (43) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
alexgash

Connecticut

Orange-hued garnet body with a finger of thick, lacy, light khaki head. Butterscotch and cookie dough malt aromas peppered with Scotch tape, pinesol, and grapefruit hop notes. Pinesol notes are weird. Slightly astringent grainy flavors up front. Mild butterscotch and cake batter malt in the middle. Weak hop flavors (pine and citrus) in a moderately bitter finish that seems to get more bitter in the aftertaste. Where are the big fresh hop flavors? Not bad, but a disappointing double IPA.

12-26-2007 01:41:41 | More by alexgash
Winter

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

Hazy copper with a voluminous light khaki head. Thick lacing. Nose has caramel malt, with a hops that range from the floral to piney in aroma. Some light grapefruit also. Pretty much covers the hop spectrum. The mouthfeel is medium with moderately sharp carbonation. Not quite as hoppy as I was expecting from and DIPA. This is more balanced compared to some ohter "hop bombs" out there. Initial taste is somewhat watered down in flavor. Midway toasted malt and caramel flavors emerge. They're followed by a scrubbing hop bitterness. Piney and a touch of grapefruit. Hoppiness is actually seems balanced pretty well with the malt. Finishes with some alcohol toward the back of the throat.

11-21-2007 21:50:58 | More by Winter
sleazo

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Monsone for this in the 7-8-9-10 BIF

A-An aggressive pour results in a clear tawny reddish coloured brew with a .5 finger off white head that dissipates quickly. It does settle into a nice cap and leaves very impressive sheets and rings of lace.

S-The aroma is very sweet and malty with some alcohol as well. The hops however are drowned out by the malt. Where are the hops? This is a 2xIPA, come on now.

T-Not as sweet as the smell would suggest. The sweet malt is there upfront but a pleasing hop bitterness prevails in the aftertaste. The hops however are fairly non descriptive. There is a bit of an alcohol burn in there as well but it isn't too destracting. Beyond that there really isn't too much depth here.

M-Slightly syrupy with a tingling carbonation. Good body here.

D-2xIPA? Maybe not, more like a strong ale. Not a bad beer by any stretch but not how I like my 2xIPAs

11-09-2007 01:20:09 | More by sleazo
KarlHungus

2.38/5  rDev -27%

This beer pours a clear ruby color. The head is massive, billowy, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is unbelievably faint for a DIPA. There is some grapefruit, but it is painfully hard to detect. The taste is of the same profile of an APA. It is not bad, but for a beer that calls itself a DIPA it is very disappointing. There is a hint of grapefruit, and a mild bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with adequate carbonation. Overall, this is the worst interpretation of a DIPA I have ever had, and I cannot imagine how anyone could do any worse. This beer lacks substantial hops, and bitterness. I will not drink this again.

11-07-2007 03:52:11 | More by KarlHungus
TastyTaste

2.2/5  rDev -32.5%

It's been a very long time since i have reviewed a beer. I havent had many beers i felt were worthy of a review, or at least I had something to say about. Not bad looking, hazy and about average for the style, nice creamy head. The smell and taste are hoppy to be sure, but the presence of caramel candy flavor really is a negative in this beer. Sweet tarts candy tartness and carmel sweetness make this hard to drink and not very enjoyable. I appreciate the effort, just not a good example of the style.

10-31-2007 18:14:22 | More by TastyTaste
jaxon53

Connecticut

3.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to kirok1999 for this brew, sent along in the Secret Halloween BIF. Served slighgtly chilled in a pint glass from a brown sixteen ounce bottle. This is my first Sprecher beer. Poured an awesome deep copper that is highlighted with some ruby hues. About two fingers of loose, bubbly offwhite head formed and somewhat quickly faded. It did leave a bit of thin lace behind on the glass. Not quite the nose I was expecting here. Sweet, smokey, caramel like notes, with a bit of hops tucked away in the back. Flavor was about the same. Tons of sweet malt, some hops, caramel, a bit of smoke, and quite biscuity. A malt monster. Definitely dominated by the malt. Where are the hops in this one? Double IPA? It did, however, have a nice smooth medium bodied mouthfeel. Drinkability was also pretty good. Not a good rep. of the style but a pretty good beer.

10-21-2007 19:43:15 | More by jaxon53
tpd975

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Pours a lively ruby red color with a medium rocky head. The head dies down to a mere collar, but does leave behind some lacing.

S: Lots of sweetened malt noted in the nose. The aroma of lemon zest is in the background with a hint of booze, but not really what I was expecting from a DIPA.

T: Let me start by saying I like this beer. That being said it is not a DIPA. If you like a malty IPA this is for you. The biscuit like sweetness is noted right up front. The hops show up in the end, but not with the fireworks you would expect from a DIPA.

M: Medium bodied, and very smooth.

D: An easy drinking IPA if they would label it as such.

Overall: I liked the beer, though it should be labeled as an IPA and a mild English sytle one at that. It's a real change of pace from the hop bombs I usually enjoy. It is smooth and refreshing, a beer I could drink all day long. I knocked off major points for calling this lower level IPA a DIPA.

10-12-2007 17:20:42 | More by tpd975
blitheringidiot

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%

*** $15 1 LITRE BOTTLE: RIPOFF!!!*** Caveat Emptor!

Huge swing top 1 litre cobalt blue bottle with a plain black label and gold print. Back label explains the India Pale Ale history. Bottle neck has a gold sheild hanger.

After breaking the gold paper sash seal, the rubber stopper gives up with a *thwip*. Then the brew pours into a tall tulip with a brewed tea amber haze topped with a "tap water" suds ring like it was filled from the kitchen sink.

Aroma of musty dirt and vegetal. Some brewed tea aromas.

First swigs: Messy malt dud with a harsh dry finish. This is way off base or an AMerican 2IPA. At best this is an English IPA. A bitter ligh orange peel middle. Off flavors of pecan and carrot. Just a mess!

Last swigs: Did the seal leak? My last Sprecher swing top bottle did. Saying "Maybe this was a bad bottle" is too hackneyed but maybe it is. Dunno...don't care. This was lame! For $15 they didn't even use lube!

09-21-2007 03:54:12 | More by blitheringidiot
meechum

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +22.1%

Bottle provided as extra in trade with Kirok1999

A - Poured into ceramic mug (it's all I had)..poured with a deep amber color that I wasn't expecting into a small off white head that subsided rather quickly leaving a halo of foam around the top of the beverage

S - Big malty smell with a hint of citrus hops in there but much more of the toasty/biscuity smell

T - This has a big malt taste up front (I'm a fan of that) that is finished with a tang of the hops..not as big a boom on the hops as I was expecting

M - Full and creamy with a balanced carbonation that coats the tounge fully

D - This is a highly quaffable libation if I don't say so myself...I could see this as an after dinner relaxer..the higher ABV makes it a one bottle per session experience in my opinion...overall a good beer

09-21-2007 01:12:00 | More by meechum
surlyseth

A: Beautiful, clear, deep amber body under a luxurious pale-tan head.

S: Awesome citrus, hint of caramel and biscuit.

T: Not what I was expecting. Without getting hung up on styles, I am very pleased. It's malty up front with a nice hoppy finish. My only issue is that it may be a little sour and then dry at the end (ABV 8.4%).

M: Medium body, nice carbonation. A lasting tingle.

D: Very nice. A fine offering from Sprecher. I would be tickled if my brew turned out this good.

09-09-2007 04:28:27 | More by surlyseth
feloniousmonk

3.53/5  rDev +8.3%

Clear, amber / copper color, huge creamy head.

Soft aroma, lightly fruity, toasty, caramel malt...a bit too quiet for my taste...especially if we're really talking about a double IPA, here.
Smooth entry on the palate, sweet, almost buttery flavor, plenty of hops, but not too bitter. Caramel malt always keeps pace with the bitterness.

Very English style IPA, but scarcely resembles a double IPA in any way. I would need much less balance, I think...feels stronger in alcohol, has a bigger hop burn on the palate, lasts long on the tongue, full bodied...but not as big as you'd come to expect.

Easy drinking, though, but I'm not crazy about the taste....maybe because I'm no longer so fond of English IPAs...I think Double IPAs really require Pac-NW hops.

Don't think I'll try one again.

09-06-2007 04:42:06 | More by feloniousmonk
ALESwhatCURESya

2.48/5  rDev -23.9%

A-deep copper color with a full, fluffy yellowish head. Very nice clarity.

S-Let me just check the bottle one more time....yup Double IPA. Where are the hops? Don't get me wrong, there is a hop presence, but I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from a basic dry-hopped amber ale. Light bread and malt.

T/M-Grainy and misguided. There is a strong english barleywine characteristic. The malts seem way to strong and the hops are shadowed. I am not really sure where the Double IPA is hiding in this, but I am not seeing it. A un-fermented sweetness lingers and I want the big hop dryness to come in and save it, but there is no help. The finish is very lager-like.

D-I am not sure how to take this. If it were a craft amber ale, I could probably look at this with some envy, but it is lost as an IIPA. Not a good direction for Specher.

09-04-2007 00:09:13 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
objectivemonkey

2.45/5  rDev -24.8%

Into a tulip glass, pours a rich golden amber, a half finger of cream, creamy head, lasts a little bit. The aroma is actually kind of weak, bready malts, caramels, maybe some floral hops in there, but just kinda lacking.

The taste definitely has the bitterness of a double IPA, but seems a bit direction-less. There is some bready malts, a sprinkle of citrus, but mostly is simply too raw for me, like its angry or something. I like me a bit bad DIPA and all, but this one's just too out there.

The mouth is certainly heavy enough, good carbonation and all, warming alcohol, but nothings going to save this one. Reminds me of my last home brew where my copper coils leaked and watered down most of the boil flavors, leaving a really heavy dry hopped mean streak. Seems like they aimed high, and missed wide.

09-03-2007 21:34:44 | More by objectivemonkey
kirok1999

3.9/5  rDev +19.6%

A- Nice dark amber, very clear, with a thin white head and not much lacing.
S- Somewhat hoppy, not what I'd expect from a DIPA. Actually more malt in the smell than hops...hummm. There's a lot of sweetness in the smell.
T- They really did the malt bill on this one. Sweet and bready, caramel and dark fruit. Hops are only present in the finish where they linger as a slight bitterness.
M- Smooth and creamy and gets even more so as it warms.
D- Nice and easy to drink, smooth and mellow and very well balanced. I like the beer and I like the 16oz bottle.

08-24-2007 00:48:47 | More by kirok1999
ZAP

1.83/5  rDev -43.9%

A-Hazy orange....no head....minimal lace

S-Are there hops used in this? I guess I pick up some herbal spicy notes but the nose is definitely malty and bready..

T-Doesn't taste like DIPA....bready malt in front and finishes with a bad bitter note....not a good bitter hop finish either...a bad off bitter finish

M-Body is big enough...some heat in this is noticeable...

D-No thanks...not good....feels more like a bad Old Ale than a bad DIPA....either way this is a mess of a beer...

08-18-2007 05:13:22 | More by ZAP
Mdog

2.63/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: Nice clear amber, good sized head.

Smell: Bready, earthy notes. Definitely not normal for a DIPA.

Taste: Follows the smell. Some bready sweetness, then earthy, tea-like flavors take over.

Drinkability: Not particularly tasty, but I'll finish the 4 pack over time.

I should have learned my lesson with Sprecher's IPA, this is pretty much an amped-up version of that beer. It may be more historically accurate, English-tasting IPA, but it's not a flavor combination I like. Definitely the lowest rated DIPA for me.

08-05-2007 00:03:17 | More by Mdog
happygnome

3.9/5  rDev +19.6%

a: dark copper color with about a quarter inch of head that is not dissapearing
s: hmm kind of a bisquit smell, piney and grassy hops really noticable very inviting
t: starts with complex malts that are followed by strong hop bitterness very enjoyable
m: medium bodied beer with very nice level of carbonation this is truly a nice beer

overall this beer is really good, the hop bitterness was amazing very enjoyable

08-01-2007 21:55:08 | More by happygnome
Bighuge

2.33/5  rDev -28.5%

Clear copper. Thin dirty white head. Very thin. Lacing is better than expected from the tiny head. Smells more like a barleywine or strong ale than a DIPA. Sweet and malty aroma. Caramelly. Rummy. But where are the humulene (and other hop derived) aromatics?? The taste follows suit. More sweet than bitter and more malty than hoppy. You can definitely feel the 8+% a/v. That's just wrong for this style. This is a crappy interpretation of Double IPA. Alcoholic. Not hoppy. Not that nice hop derived bitterness.

Here's a suggestion for Sprecher: Get back to your strong suit. German style beers. Instead of all these crazy ass beers that you've been cranking out lately, how 'bout a dortmunder or an alt or a rauchbier or even a kolsch?? That would've been a perfect 'experiment' for the summer.

07-24-2007 01:46:42 | More by Bighuge
Flyer

2.78/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a deep red-orange with brassy highlights and a very good head with good lacing. This was a little "off" for me, right from the aroma, which had a sawdust-like quality. The first taste is of some fair hoppiness, with that sawdust in the background again. Not much dimension to the hoppiness -- a little bit of pine, maybe the barest hint of orange, but it wasn't excessively bitter because it could just plain use more hops. This is one of those beers that don't seem that far off -- a little tinkering with the recipe could produce significantly better results. But at this point I'd have to call it another of Sprecher's misses in their recent flurry of new styles.

07-22-2007 16:38:48 | More by Flyer
dschaff

4.8/5  rDev +47.2%

Poured a nice amber color out of the usual brown pint bottle, nice lacing, head appropriate for the strength. smells really good, malt with hop spiciness. Taste is excellent for an IPA of any price, I happened to pay $6.49 for four. This beer's quality compares favorably even with expensive imports from Indiana, Thanks, Randy! Mouthfeel is good, cold and kind of thick. Drinkability is excellent, let me put it this way, this is just shy of being a snifter beer, but still goes down great by the mugfull. Is mugfull a word? I've had two of these, it is now!

07-19-2007 00:51:20 | More by dschaff
ttu94

3.88/5  rDev +19%

Several years ago my sister who was attending Marquette University sent me some Sprecher. I remember it being quite good but since Beer Advocate wasn't around then I don't remember how good.
Beer Advocate is here now and I can record the fact that I think this beer is very good.
Pours out a clear dark gold color with a small head that fades and leaves little lacing.
The first aroma that I noticed was a piney hop. In fact it smells like a veritable pine forest.
Very malty full flavored brew. Not as sweet as some other double IPA's that I have had but very nice.
Finishes with a good hop bitterness not too much and not too little.
Wish I lived in Wisconsin so I could get more Sprecher beers.

07-11-2007 03:01:36 | More by ttu94
orbitalr0x

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up this 16oz bottle recently and figured I'd give it a whirl. Pours into my glass a nice amber red color with good clarity and a small bubbly head that quickly fades. Aromas begin with lots of caramel malts upfront. Herbal, floral hops come next with some nice resinous aromas. An interesting mix of hops and malts in this one.

First sip brings a big sweet caramel malt upfront that is lightly toasted followed by a nice mix of floral and herbal hops. Bitterness hits on the way down but is counteracted by the sweet malts, leaving this brew a bit on the sweet side in the end. Finishes with a lingering herbal hop aftertaste. Almost strikes me as a big English IPA in a way.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit slick. Good carbonation and a nice smoothness on the way down. This is an interesting take on a double IPA. Personally I can't say I'm really a fan of this one myself, it just doesn't bring the flavors I'm looking for when I grab a double IPA. Check it out and decide for yourself!

06-27-2007 03:04:15 | More by orbitalr0x
logansboat15

4.15/5  rDev +27.3%

Randy Sprecher's interpretation of the Yankee Double IPA is exceptional. The beer pours an inviting deep, clear copper hue with a faint head and minimal lace. A rich citrusy hop aroma predominates with a fresh malt and bready undertone. The taste has a rich, sweet maltines and a caramelized character that overtakes the dry hop finish in a subtle, yet complex fashion. A full, satisfying and substantive mouthfeel rounds out the experience. IPA2 is a fine addition to Sprecher's Premium Reserve line-up. Hopefully this fine brew will be available year-round.

06-18-2007 00:50:02 | More by logansboat15