IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) - Sprecher Brewing Company

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale)
No picture uploaded.

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: logansboat15 on 06-18-2007)

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.56/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Sprecher Double IPA

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Sam Adam's perfect pint glass.

A) Nice looking amber brew with a full finger of slightly off white head. Decent retention and some lacing.

S) Perhaps age has muted the aroma a bit here. I can't locate a bottling date, but from what I gather this is a summer release. I just pick up a shit-load of soggy grain and a little citrus.

T) Sadly, I must report this follows the nose. Quite grassy and a little bitter on the backend. Not a pleasant aftertaste. If I'm looking for some bread in this shit sandwich, I'd have to say the alcohol is well hidden.

M) Medium bodied and a bit over carbonated for my liking. Not very fun to drink from a mouthfeel standpoint.

O) My journey through the leftover Christmas beer continues... This was an epic fail. Sprecher has some good beers, but this ain't one of them. Sorry, but I cannot recommend this beer.

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No freshness date, and no indication that it is a summer seasonal.

Pours hazed/clouded amber with a thin, wispy, slowly fading cover. Minimal lacing sticks.

The smell is of citrus, caramel and some black pepper.

The taste is of pine/resin with some tropical fruit. It has a firm caramel backing. Black pepper spicing is in the warm finish.

The feel is pretty smooth despite noticeable alcohol heat.

While hops are noticeable, it has a boozy caramel backing. It is a decent double IPA overall.

I'll try it again in the summer, when it is fresh, but freshness of the hops didn't seem to be a problem with this one.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

3.36/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I want to rate this a bit higher because it is a favored style and it does not offend and it is a reasonably (cheap) beer for the style, but it is a bit funky. The appearance is really nice. I back lit it in a new location in my kitchen and I was excited about the bright orange. It isn't clear and doesn't have the biggest head but that is ok for the style.

The rest doesn't fare as well. The aroma has a funky quality. Spunky funky. It carries into the taste and aftertaste. It's nice and bitter and stuff, but there is a funky taste like it has gone bad. Infected.

I will not buy this again due to the funky taste.

1.79/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Sprecher "IPA ^2" (i.e. "IPA Squared). "Double India Pale Ale." Reviewed as an imperial IPA because it plainly identifies as such. 7.72% ABV confirmed per the label. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap acquired at me local Whole Foods as part of a mixed six-pack and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of white-khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Nice even lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is below average - between one and two minutes.

Body colour is a hazy nontransparent translucent peach-copper. Abundant yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's a bit murky for the style, but I'm optimistic.

Sm: Off-putting tropical fruit notes: pineapple, mango, and passionfruit. Boozy. Pale malts. Sweet, sticky, and nectary. An unpleasant aroma of below average strength. Awfully sugary, with some resinous character.

No yeast character is detectable.

T/Mf: Quite poorly constructed. Sweet, sticky, and hop-forward, with the worst possible tropical fruit notes: stale orange, passionfruit, mango, pineapple. Boozy as hell to boot. Sugary and cloying. Cane sugar. Poorly executed caramel. Nectary. Some herbal tea-like notes with an accompanying astringent bitterness. Zero balance here. No subtlety. It's a misguided mess.

Too full bodied. Overbearing. Overcarbonated. Too thick. Syrupy. Smooth and wet. Horrid presence on the palate. Quite poorly executed. Doesn't suit the style at all.

Dr: Hard to drink, hard to stomach. A very poor attempt at the style. Boozy. Quite atrocious stuff; I did not expect that from Sprecher. I would definitely not buy this again, and I'll struggle to finish just this bottle. Not at all recommended.

Low D-

2.54/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

App- Good color for and IPA style, head is less than standard. Some suspended sediment.
Smell- I pick up a little of that intoxicating hop smell, but it is faint for a DIPA.
Taste- Meh. Bitter, buy not in that hoppy good way. Unbalanced, missing what makes one buy a DIPA, something went wrong here. A let down for sure. Maybe they mixed an IPA with a Marzen, I don't know, I'm lost.
Mouthfeel- A little thin, missing that silky feel I'm looking for. However not objectionable.
Overall- DIPA fail.

IPA2 (Double India Pale Ale) from Sprecher Brewing Company