Czar Brew - Russian Imperial Stout Aged In Oak Bourbon Barrels - Sprecher Brewing Company

Czar Brew - Russian Imperial Stout Aged In Oak Bourbon Barrels
No picture.

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: rallison on 08-05-2007

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Taste of bourbon and chocolate and roast are very well mended together. Not very heavy bourbon flavor. I actually can't believe it's 11% since it drinks like it's around 9%. Found the single for around $5 which is pretty good if not great for a bourbon barrel Imperial Stout.

4.62/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours as thick as oil. Nice Carmel head. Drinks easy for a 10%-ish beer. Heavy chocolate on the front, blast of oak and bourbon in the back. Best Sprecher beer I have had.

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%

I enjoy a lot of products from Sprecher Brewing Company; especially their Root Beer! That being said, first time trying the Czar Brew from Sprecher. They have something cooking here; not yet, up to some of the better Oak Bourban Barrel brews. In due time, I think they will have the right mix that everyone will chase after. The look and taste of the beer is good but not great. I would buy it again!

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good barrel aged RIS, even if you throw out the great price. I'm not sure why the ratings are so low, maybe because it doesn't have a high price tag and people are basing it on that, or people who don't normally drink barrel aged beers are buying it and downgrading it. I would highly recommend a 4 pack.

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a huge brew that got better with every degree of warmth and every sip. Consider drinking it at 60 degrees F. I also was thinking the whole time that maybe it should age for six months, but I'm not sure it would get a lot better.

It looks black like it should, with a weak brown fuzz head of fine bubbles. The aroma is a boozy and sweet.

The taste is syrupy and slightly hoppy. It gets much better warm. The aftertaste is quite boozy.

This made for a nice strong New Years Eve drink that was followed by stronger and hoppier stuff. Nice pairing with other large beers.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours very dark brown with a thin tan head. Some trailing sticks.

The smell is of chocolate, coffee, oak/bourbon, anise.

The taste of sweet oak/bourbon mixes with chocolate, anise, and mild roasted coffee. Warming dryness in the warming finish.

It hits full-bodied, though carbonation is a bit sharp for the style. Alcohol lingers.

Overall, it's qa rich, enjoyable strong stout with a bourbon/oak character that is blended well. A nice "sipper"!

Enjoyed from a 22 oz bottle in a snifter, this most excellent RIP pours black as midnight with a thick tight bubbled head that slowly dies down to a firm thin layer with excellent webbed lacing. Nose of dark chocolate, black licorice, dark molasses, and rich bourbon. Flavors are chocolate all around with the licorice coming through on the back with the bourbon. The bourbon lends itself to adding to the sweetness which to many may be overpowering towards a milk stout. Still very nice, with a smooth coating mouth feel and light carbonation. Very slick.

An excellent Russian Imperial for those who like theirs on the sweeter side.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle

Pours jet black with a tan ring of carbonation for a head.

Smells of licorice, dark chocolate, figs, and oak.

Molasses and licorice up front followed by oak and a hint of cinnamon.

Full body with stinging carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

Beautiful presentation, nice aroma and body. Flavor is nuanced and threatens to be a bit too cloying. Overall a very good rich stout that may turn off some people due to the overripe sweetness in the flavor.

Pours heavy, like motor oil heavy, great nose of vanilla and charred barrels. Overall my favorite part is that the barrel aging isn't the only flavor in this beer it tastes like a great Russian Imperial that was enhanced by the barrel rather than a hot boozy mess. The alcohol is subtle for an 11%+ beer. I am a big fan

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

Appearance: Pours a jet black with a cocoa colored head that retains for a bit. Leaves a small amount of lacing on the side.

Smell: big nose with a variety of vanilla, bourbon, coffee smells.

Taste: ...and here is where this falls apart. Such a thin, watered down taste. Where are all the delicious bits from the nose?? Beyond disappointed.

Mouthfeel: for something that tastes this thin it leaves a surprisingly thick feeling.

Overall: so tempted to drain pour this. Something does not add up here.

4.14/5  rDev +11.3%

Pour is a dark hue yet translucent, appearing thin (and invoking worry about the mouthfeel). Dark, medium head. Aroma of tobacco, vanilla, and oak. Very rich, very sweet. Flavor dominated by vanilla, much like a vanilla bean ice cream. Finishes with a sweet caramel note. Very light, refreshing mouthfeel for such a full-bodied beer, but as a contrast rather than detriment.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle purchased at Peabodys in Boone NC poured into a pint glass.

A: Inky black with no transparency dark khaki head with medium lacing.

S: Bourbon and chocolate dominate the nose.

T: Bourbon, chocolate and licorice

M: I can feel the malts on my tongue, fair amount of carbonation, very little burn from the booze.

O: This was the first BA imperial stout that Ive had. Its my third bomber of this and probably the last one I'll buy. I used this as "practice beer" before venturing onto more coveted examples of the style. I was able to pick this bomber up for 5 bucks which makes it an outstanding deal I would be disappointed however if I payed $15 for this bottle. I would say that if you're well versed in the style then you wont be blown away by this, however if your new to the bigger beers then this would be a great one to start off on, as its tasty yet not overly complex. I have a feeling that this is quite old(probably a year or maybe more) so I wouldn't mind trying this fresh.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a small Sprecher snifter and served at 60 degrees.

Appearance: Charcoal black color body with a ½ finger head, medium carbonation nice retention. After each swirl I received a temporary cover of head, sticky lacing and alcohol legs that did stick around.

Aroma: Immediately you receive the big bourbon barrel characteristics and then the bittersweet/roasted malt and dark fruit aromas that follow. Bold bourbon, charred oak, coconut, sweet caramel, robust cocoa, grainy toasted malts and roasted coffee and big dark fruits. The aroma is very nice and all the characteristics are evenly represented here.

Taste: This is slightly different from what I expected in the taste versus the aroma. This is much lighter bodied, pretty sweet and somewhat dry. Spicy yet smooth bold bourbon, toasted wood, slight vanilla, prominent coconut, deep tart cherry, big raisin, pear, red grapes, apple, and some fig. Bittersweet dry cocoa, caramel, sweet maple syrup/honey, mild roasted barley and coffee beans, smoky charred notes, and a slight hazelnut nuttiness near the end. The sweet malts and dark fruits were most prominent, the bourbon barrel characteristics stood tall and the roasted type notes were lightly represented. Alcohol wasn’t too present but it did help move some flavors along here.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium thickness, and still very nice to sip on. I wish that this was just a bit fuller bodied, bit it is what it is. This bourbon barrel aged variation has the same exact body as their original Reserve Series RIS.

Overall: This is definitely a step up from their original RIS and I am interested in how the other bottle that I have will age with a year or two on it. I enjoyed this for what it was and I liked how all of the characteristics were decently represented. This was crafted as an English-style Russian Imperial Stout and they should really label this as exactly that. This was pretty tasty the only drawback is that I did wish that the body was a bit fuller and I wish that the roasted qualities were more prominent with the rest of the stout, but this is what it is. Every time I take a sip, this gives me a good idea about what a bourbon barrel-aged RIS would have tasted like over 200 years ago in England

3.15/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: Pour with a light to medium bodied thickness. Could see the dark brown color on the pour but was black once accumulated in the glass. Light brown head formed on the pour which subsided and was non existent while drinking.

Smell: A lot of bright coffee aromas and some chalky malt. Hops burst through and seem to throw off many of the darker accents. The sweetness just blankets over many of the more interesting accents here.

Taste: I kind of expected the flavor to be erratic but this had many more traditional BA stout accents then I expected. Bubbly hop front with a good bitter bite. The front and beginning of the body are the best parts of this brew. Coffee, milk chocolate, light vanilla and caramel, and some average bourbon accents. There seems to be some disconnect between the flavors here. The finish is confused, some chalky bourbon and malt which gets lost. There are some accents here which want to finish strong, but bizarrely just fade away into a watery finish.

Mouthfeel: For an RIS, probably on the light side for mouth feel. The palette seems to beg for more. Does not drench the palette like the elite RIS's do.

Overall: Comes off overall pretty average, slightly forgettable. Not something I would get again, but not something that should be avoided.

I had been aging Czar Brew since the summer for a cold winter night. Amidst the other Russian Imperial Stout sampled, this was a stand-out.

Poured into a sniffer, it produced a modest white head. Aroma of whiskey and bitter fruits tempted the tongue. Intial flavors included a mild whiskey flavor, maltiness, and hints of raisins. The aftertaste was the higlight as butterscotch and carmel made an appearance before disappearing into a warming whiskey flavor.

I was not overly impressed with the regular version of Sprecher's Russian Imperial Stout, but Czar Brew is an much more impressive effort. It balances sweet and tartness, though it is not overpowering.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Bought this past Spring while I was in Madison, WI. Poured at cellar temp into my Founders snifter.

A: Deep, dark, brown. Foamy, 1 finger thin head. Minimal lacing.

S: Sweet and roasty with a faint alcoholic finish.

T: Immediate sugary sweetness nose followed by some roasted malt that leads to some bourbon undertones. The sweetness dominates the overall taste of this one.

M: Very thin for the style. Medium carbonation.

O: One of the weaker BA stouts I have had. Too thin and too sweet.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

I bought a single 22oz. bottle from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $11.89 in Summer 2011.

Pours a pitch black color with a thick foamy head that last a long time. Scents of coffee, carmel, cocoa, and bourbon fume from my glass. The taste is hard to describe as it is thick, creamy, and smooth. Quite robust and yet the flavors go quite well together. Some spices and burnt sugar are also obvious. Certainly a well made, tasty beer but the value is really lacking. for half the price you can get a beer that taste just as good as this one. So while this beer is good, it's not of the best value for your dollar.

2.07/5  rDev -44.4%

Thanks? to Greg for sharing this...

A: The beer pours almost black in color with a finger of tan head.

S: When the first thing you smell is butter, you're rarely in for anything good. Lots of butter, a bit of roast and bourbon, a touch of vanilla, and some sourness. Not sure whether that's vinegar or just too much booze.

T: The flavor is much the same. Heavy on the butter with a more pronounced sourness and even more booze. Light bourbon and vanilla flavors with lots of roast and oak, some coffee is also there.

M: Medium bodied with very low carbonation.

O: This was a nice contribution to the dump bucket.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Served in a Chimay chalice at room temperature

A = stuff pours very dark brown, almost black, with a finger of chocolate head

S = chocolate, heavy malt, alcohol

T = tastes of chocolate, coffee, malt, and a hint of whiskey at the end

M = good, not too much alcohol or carbonation

D = drinkability is good, probably my favorite offering from Sprecher that I've tried. Definitely not an everyday beer, but I will definitely pick this one up again

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this beer deep into a long night of drinking with some good friends so I should probably go back and drink this again when I am a little more coherent but I was really impressed with this Russian Imperial! My favorite thing was the taste; it had all of the great characteristics that I expect in an IS. It had the chocolate/fruity/caramel/liquorice/malty taste that I love in this type of beer plus a little extra kick which I suppose was from the bourbon barrels. Additionally, I have had some bourbon barrel stouts that I don't care for as the bourbon is too strong but this seemed to be just the right amount.

EDIT-Once I had this beer this past summer, I bought another bottle and put it away for Christmas Eve 2011. That night finally came and I just got done polishing off the entire 22 oz bottle while watching "Its A Wonderful Life". Most of things I said about this beer last summer are still true but here are a few new observations-
1. The smell/taste of bourbon were very strong at first but mellowed as I drank the beer. I probably got used to it after it was overwhelming at first.
2. I had a few drinks every once in awhile that were a little watery but overall, I thought the beer was pretty thick and syrupy.
3. At first the high abv hit me hard but I must have paced myself pretty good because by the time I was done, I wasn't wasted or anything.

Dense pour that is very black with some reddish hues around the edges of the imperial pint glass.

Nose is of dark caramel malts, prunes and molasses.

Big mouthfeel with a silkiness. Nice overall malty character with loads of dark roasted malts and nice dark caramel malts. Plenty of malt backbone and a nice earthy bitterness blend well together. Some soy sauce notes but an good overall spice that works with the raisin and prune coming through.

Very little bourbon character. Unless the spice and peppery notes are from the bourbon barrel than I missed it.

Tasty RIS but not much to set it apart.

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

650ml brow twist-off gold waxed bottle. 2009 vintage. The label proclaims "Lager". Talk about the most bizarre packaging, Sprecher might want to fire whoever is doing this.

It pours a dense black with a foamy tan head. The head recedes rather quickly and leaves some mild lacing.

The smell is thick with bourbon, super thick with it. It is big and sweet with notes of caramel and vanilla and underneath that chocolatey, roasty stout.

The flavor is big and bourbonny. It is roasty and alcoholic. It has a tanginess to it that is hard to pinpoint, like very sweet raisins, perhaps an infection.

It was great until I tasted it, I am pretty sure something sneaked its way into he barrels.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

There was a "render unto Caesar" joke in my head for this at one point, but I doubt it would've turned out very well. Still, this brew pours a straight black-brown topped by a healthy tan foam. The nose comprises chocolate, roasted malts, oak, cheesy omelets, and molasses. I'm pretty sure that cheesy/eggy smell comes from the barrels, but have no way to prove it. Regardless, it doesn't do the beer any favors. The taste holds notes of roasted malts, oak, vanilla, caramel, dark chocolate, light coffee, and a slight twinge of whiskey. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, a nearly solid big stout, but the slightly off smell and a body that's just a bit too light do not help the drinkability very much here.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to TMoney 2591 for allowing me to have some of this gigantic bottle.

This beer looks a nice black stout color, with a beige foam on the surface. The smell is pretty damn good. There is a strong caramel and malt aroma with this beer. There is a nice oak flavor with this beer that I truly enjoy. The light chocolate flavor mixed in with all of that is pretty damn good. The mouthfeel is decently smooth, the time that this has had on it has worked well for it. The drinkability for this beer is fairly high. I really truly enjoyed this beer.

3.11/5  rDev -16.4%

Opened this with a few friends, after picking it up in Milwaukee a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it seemed that something had gone awry... definitely oxidized, and developing tart astringent flavors. No date on the label, i'm guessing it was last years batch. No sound when opened. Sprecher should cap these instead of using a swingtop, and wax that if they have to. I think a compromised seal may be the culprit here.

Pours a dark brown, and black in the glass. It doesn't really look thick or viscous, more like a porter almost. The tan foam was scant, dispersing into a frothy ring of bubbles, and a wispy skim across the dark surface.

Aroma had telltale soy and clay notes of oxidation creeping into the sweet vanilla notes of the bourbon barrel.

Sweet and sticky, some vanilla and tart cherry astringency. Fairly light bodied for a barrel-aged RIS. There was a moderate bourbon flavor, and a stout buried in there somewhere, but it was overshadowed by the cherry skin tartness.

No one could finish a glass, but I drank most of mine for the sake of this review.
Will re-review if I can find a vintage dated bottle.

Czar Brew - Russian Imperial Stout Aged In Oak Bourbon Barrels from Sprecher Brewing Company