El Rey Mexican Style Ale - Sprecher Brewing Company

El Rey Mexican Style AleEl Rey Mexican Style Ale

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 11-03-2009)
Reviews by WastingFreetime:
2.05/5  rDev -29.1%

Reviewed from session notes.

A. Clouded sunny yellow in color. Absolutely no head at all, only a faint scummy ring, no lacing either.

S,T. Cloying sweet corn aroma and flavor. Maybe a pinch of grassy herbal hops if I really dig hard and search for it.

M. Annoyingly aggressive carbonation attacks my tongue from within a medium thick body... finish is faintly acidic for reasons unknown.

Not a big fan of this one.

4.22/5  rDev +46%

In the past the only way I would drink beer is if it was ice cold. El Rey Mexican Style Ale is the first beer I've been able to drink and enjoy at room temperature. I've had it refrigerator cold as well--equally good! The color is light gold; it started with a large head when I poured it; then retained a smaller head until I emptied the glass. It's nicely carbonated but not too filling. Adding a lime enhances its citrusey flavor, but is not necessary. I detect a slightly carmel flavor and a hint of a smokey finish. Compared to other pale ales I've tried, this is definitely now my favorite! I've also had this beer on tap a few times--very enjoyable, but I prefer the bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +54%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Over the weekend at a cook out which was leaning towards a Mexican BBQ I thought of trying something new. The El Rey bottle at the local Pick n Save caught my eye so I gave it a try. It was a lot different then other sixer on the rack. The labeling caught my eye so I gave it a shot. The appearance of this ale(?)was champagnie looking with all the carbonation. That carbonation made it kinda refreshing while I was grilling in the heat this weekend. The smell was pleasant. It had a fruity malty smell but was light enough for a good summer day drink and the taste fit well with it. I had four down before I knew it and I did not get filled up. My friend and I polished off the 2 six packs I bought before dinner was done. I'd give it a thumbs up

4.25/5  rDev +47.1%

2.1/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz bottle poured into an Imperial Pint. 5.2% ABV, 09292 Julian date (Oct. 18th).

A - Brilliantly clear golden yellow with bubbles rising constantly to a small but well retained white head. Settles to a thin coat with no lacing.

S - Heavy cooked corn and straw adjunctiness with a bit of sweet sugar and pale malts in there too. Not really appealing at all.

T - Incredibly sugary-sweet with a heavy corn flavor. Is that what makes it Mexican style? It's like an overly sweet adjunct lager. Malt-liquor-like.

M - Sweet and medium-bodied from all the sugar with an interesting muted spice finish. Heavily carbonated.

D - Well, I don't really know what makes this a Mexican Style Ale (especially since it most closely resembles an American Adjunct Lager or Malt Liquor) but if this is Mexican beer, I'm not a fan. Full of adjuncts and few "real beer" ingredients. I wonder why this was even brewed? It's obvious why it isn't labeled under the Sprecher name, that's for sure. Basically, it's gonna get poured out when I'm done with this sentence.

1.5/5  rDev -48.1%

1.6/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Bottled sometime in the Fall of 2009. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the trade.

(A)- Pours a clear yet pale yellow to goldenrod color that produced a white head that dissipated immediately.

(S)- Tons of corn husk & funky honey. Almost sour smelling.

(T)- Tons of lemony wheat & corn husk. Slightly sweet. Has a metallic & dry finish. It almost has a soap taste to it.

(M)- Good carbonation level, however the rest of it is severely lacking. The metallic finish is off-putting and there is so much corn husk flavor that it dries out your mouth.

(D)- Nothing about this really wants me to have another one, let alone finish this one. I cant believe Sprecher makes this :/

3.78/5  rDev +30.8%

I think that this is a fine tasting Mexican style beer, even though it is from Wisconsin. Consistent with the style, this beer is a pale, light bodied lager. The bright white head did not last long. I drank half of the beer by itself and the other half with a lime squeezed in. Although not necessary, I thought the lime added refreshing taste that made me wish I had another one. In general, it has a simple clean taste that will not satisfy the beer purist. It has a lot of carbonation, yet it had a fuller mouthfeel than I was expecting. I tasted malt, hints of caramel and corn. While definitely not a premium beer, it is one of the better Mexican styles that I've had. Not too filling and I would buy it again during the summer.

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

3.55/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this 12oz glass on-tap at the Sprecher's Brew and Pub in Madison, WI for $5 in Fall 2011.

Pours a golden yellow color with only a slight head by the time it got to the table and was served with a lime. The scent was very limey and that was about it. The taste was also rather strong with lime flavors but yet was crisp and clean with a light taste. It drank rather smooth and finished clean. Not an ideal beer for every drinking occasion but is by far a better choice than Bud Light Lime.

3.2/5  rDev +10.7%

A random single my father in law grabbed for me...

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale golden colour, finger of head with little retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Sweet corn, grassy hops, hint of brown sugar on the finish.

T - Certainly more flavourful than any Mexican brew I tried on my recent trip to Mexico (exception being Bohemia). The corn flavours dominate and its surprisingly sweet. Bready notes linger on the finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet... Perfect for a hot Mexican beach.

O - Fits the style, so I can't knock it for trying. They put together a brew that fits the bill and though its not my favourite, it's certainly better than most Mexican born brews.

2.33/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

This is a pale yellow with some rather slow carbonation and a film of white head.

It smells pretty fruity and has a lot of corn sweetness.

It tastes like corn and yeast. This is kind of a weird beer. Very adjuncty.

It's feels pretty good, medium bodied and smooth.

Overall, I'd rather drink a Modelo or a Bohemia. Leave the Mexican beers to Mexico, Wisconsin!

3.2/5  rDev +10.7%

You know, not too bad. It is an ale, after all, not a lager and it is that way. With an aggressive pour there was a good sized white head that soon settled down and no lace. Color is a clear, gold amber with a couple of very slow bubble trails. Aroma was the best part- quite spicey, malt, hop. Flavor has some of that, malt comes out more, maybe some corn, a little chalk, and wet grain. Body is ok and thankfully so is carbonation. Finish is like flavor and of medium length. Straightforward, no frills, blonde ale.

3.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Hazy golden yellow body with lines of carbonation visible streaking toward the surface. Aroma is sweet. Grainy and malty. Taste is pretty light, but par for the course for the style. Grainy and worty malt sweetness with very slight adjunct feel to it. Carbonation is pretty active in the mouth. Decent beer. Could do as a summer quaffer on occassion.

4.4/5  rDev +52.2%

The beer tasted fresh and crisp, slight hint of smokeynist. Went well with food. Also tasted well poured from bottle when warm ,over ice and tasted expediential. When doing this you have a longer timer to flavor the taste, werse just gluping down the beer fast.

Lori from Milwaukee

1.75/5  rDev -39.4%

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

2.25/5  rDev -22.1%

1.8/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a clear golden color with a decent sized white head and a moderate amount of lacing. Aroma is of grain, corn, and sugar. Taste is of sweet corn with very little hop bitterness and a little bit of grass. Watery mouthfeel, pretty each finish, but not overpowering.

El Rey Mexican Style Ale from Sprecher Brewing Company