Kriek Lambic - Sprecher Brewing Company

Kriek LambicKriek Lambic

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 09-24-2010)

HoistinBrews, Jan 06, 2013
1.35/5  rDev -57.5%

I bought a few of these today with great expectations and to my surprise, I was quite turned off by this beer. I chilled the first one. The color was amazing, but that's where the positives ended. It had a metallic smell that I thought may have been from the cherries or because of the type of beer. The taste was acrid and very metallic. My wife confirmed what I was tasting and she actually spit what she hadn't swallowed into the sink. I figured it had to be a fluke and opened another. Same thing...undrinkable. I bought five 4 packs of Sprecher today because I love everything they brew, but this was a travesty to beer.

jester27lax, Feb 04, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -40.9%

What a shame, this beer pours as a very nice looking red color. The white head fizzles away shortly after the pour. The aroma is tart with cherries and bacterial sourness. The taste is tart upfront and fades into nothingness. This beer has no substance or complexity to it. The tartness of the beer doesn't stick around at all. It's a very strange lambic. I can't even tell whether it's aged at all in oak or not. If it is, then It wasn't aged long enough. Perhaps they should add more than just cherry juice to the batch and actually add full cherries to get this thing going. Not a very good brew in my opinion. Sprecher has yet to impress me with anything they've put out.

Knapp85, May 08, 2011

A: appears a vibrant magenta with pink head. The head is short lived. No lacing to speak of.

S: huge barnyard/hay character comes in first and dominates the aroma. The brett is overwhelming and hides the cherries. The fruit character is faint and muted.

T: the taste isn't as bad as the nose. The brett is a bit tamer and the cherries come through a bit. There is a big tartness and then a funky finish. The funk leaves and acrid taste on the palate. This kriek is a mess.

MF: high carbonation, light body

O: This beer did not provide a pleasurable experience. In fact, it was quite awful. Aside from its vibrant appearance, there is no redeemable quality of this beer.

homebrew311, Jun 11, 2011

TheRevMatt, May 05, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -36.2%

I have had sprechers kriek and I didn't enjoy it. Time to give the kriek lambic a try.

Poured into matilda chalice.

Pours 1 finger of pink hued white head. Decent retention. Color is a bright ruby red.

Aroma: Cherries with a ton of medicinal flavors. A lot of brett funk. Light tartness. Overpowering medicinal notes.

Taste: More brett flavors and medicinal flavors than anything. The cherries show minimally due to the overpowering bugs. Oak and spice hinder in the background.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and crisp. A bit sour. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends very dry.

Overalll, I wasn't a big fan of this one. It didn't taste much like any of the krieks I have had before. Overpowering brett and medicinal flavors.

mothman, Jul 12, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -35.5%

I picked up a bottle at the Foodery the other day. Poured into a champagne "beer" glass. Actually, it is the old Carling glass, which I proudly bought at a flea market.

The appearance isn't awful. It is a bright cherry red that is showing off some carbonation, and the white head was there for a minute. I accidentally poured the floaties in...bits an pieces of cherry skins. I guess I now know that real cherries were added...

The smell is actually quite pleasant, but I normally review to style, not what I like or dislike. The aroma is of the acidic cherry juice. It smells very fresh and a nice balance of sweet and sour, but I get very little "funk" in this bouquet. It might be there, but it's hiding completely behind the Door County Cherry Juice that was added. For a lambic, it needs more barnyard, horseblanket aroma.

The taste is close to awful. Again, it is primarily cherry juice flavor. There is some acidity here, but very little in the way of sourness. I don't know what exactly is missing, but I feel like they left out an important bacteria in the fermentation. The sweetness is absent, for which I raised the score to a 1.5. If this was cloying as well, I would certainly have doled out a 1. The taste is a little bit on the metallic side as well. The flavor is just WAY too clean for a lambic.

The mouthfeel is off too. It has the right carbonation level, but I feel like it is missing the body of a true lambic. The acidity that I typically look for is not scraping the enamel off my teeth and, well, that's something that plays a part in the way the beer feels too! So far they missed this beer on 2-3 accounts.

Overall, it seemed like a great idea, but brewing "lambic" in America is just not possible. We don't have the stuff, so please, American brewers....stop trying to make lambics!

MusicaleMike, Aug 24, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -33%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very pretty pour: bright pink with huge, fizzy off-pink head. Smells medicinal and phenolic. No cherry at all in the aroma.

Taste has big problems. Very medicinal, metallic flavors. Very slight sourness and slight cherry flavor; almost like a bad cherry wine. Fizzy body and thin mouthfeel.

Not drinkable at all; could not finish the glassful. Can't explain what Sprecher was trying for but this stuff doesn't work for me.

joedon, Jan 20, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

Appears dark ruby-plum colored with a short lived creamy pink head that fizzles a lot before going away, no head. Body is too watery for my tastes, but carbonation is at acceptable levels. Smells as though a sweet manischevitz passover wine has been blended into the kriek, and tastes exactly as though it were too. It goes stomach-churningly too far into syrupy sweetness and high acidity levels, and as somebody else has already pointed out, the sourness and raunchy funk aspects are MIA.

This is pretty much a "wine cooler" mutation / approximation of the kriek genre, but most certainly not the real thing. It is passable as a wine cooler, but sadly I have to judge according to style, and I won't be seeking this one out again.

WastingFreetime, Sep 27, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -25.2%

6 oz sample in a Sprecher stange tasting glass, received at the end of the brewery tour in WI.

When I asked to try their Kriek, the bartender eyed me suspiciously and asked if I'd ever had a kriek before. I assured him I had and told him Belgian Lambic and Gueuze were two of my favorite styles. I hoped that his hesitation was a sign that I was in for a sour, face-shriveling kriek. Sadly, this was not the case.

Pour a nice reddish-pink with half an inch of off-white head. Smelled inviting but pretty one-dimensional. Straight sweet cherry with a hint of light malt. The taste was similar with only the slightest hint of acidity, much like a sweet cherry cider. Overly sweet with a medicinal flavor that made this a chour to drink after a short time. Fairly light overcarbonated mouthfeel.

Some of the novice beer drinkers I was with enjoyed this more than I and found it quite approachable, though no one went for more than a couple ounces. Unfortunately I found it pretty dull with a downright offensive medicinal edge. Their other offerings were much better. The DIPA, Oktoberfest, and Black Bavarian were all pretty tasty.

Dspohn, Sep 11, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -25.2%

A - Fairly clear pinkish light red with a bubbly pink head that quickly disappears.

S - Medicinal with light cherry and bad smelling brett mixed with acetobacter.

T - Worse than aroma. Bad tasting brett and acetobacter. Like an infection gone wrong.

M - Light and fizzy.

D - I had this on tap about 6 months back and it wasn't bad. Not sure what happened but it tastes like some bad homebrew that has accidentally had an infection.

brewcrew76, Nov 05, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -23.9%

Picked up at 12oz bottle for $3 at Discount Liquor - I think I got ripped off. Shared with Mike while picking up some bubble wrap. Served in some sort of tulip.

A - A finger of quick-dissolving white foam sizzles to a thin ring of bubbles. Orange-tinged and hazy dark pink body.

S - Ripe sweet and juicy cherries, light green funk, some lactic acidity and a hint of plastic in the periphery. Actually smells pretty convincing in a fresh Boon Kriek sort of way.

T - Taste is nothing like the smell. When it isn't obscured by the horrible texture, there are notes of mineral water, rotting fruits, and very odd acetobacter. Not much cherry at all, and it gets progressively worse over time.

M - The feel is absolutely awful. The carbonation is harsher than soda, and the texture is somewhat slimy. Medium-bodied, if you're patient enough to wait out the fizz. I suppose the only way it could be worse is if some alcohol was apparent, which thankfully wasn't the case.

D - On the plus side, it made that attractive carbonation sizzle as I poured the remnants of the bottle down the drain. Just not very good - I'd rather have Boon Kriek, or even a Lindemans.

MasterSki, Jul 07, 2011

hefehead12, Feb 29, 2012

Ri0, Aug 26, 2012

cofeeguru, Mar 26, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

A light version of a Kriek. Kriek is often light to begin with. That's not good. I suppose for the uninitiated this might be a good initiation beer, but that's about it. Great appearance for the style. The nose about right with some horse blanket which carries over to the taste. Cherry dominant with slight wheat nose. Not much else. Yet a very weak version of the style. If you really want something close to true Kriek try Lindemans or other Belgian versions. The shame here is they had it, they just seemed to back off on complexity. As one reviewer here said, "A very odd version (of the style).

kencarman, May 29, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Shared by MasterSki.

A - Red beer with a slightly pinkish head. Nothing left on the sides.

S - On the plus side, the cherry flavor doesn't smell fake. It is also not a deep enough cherry smell. There is a little bit of barnyard funk and tartness in the nose, but nothing special.

T - Taste is not quite as good as the smell, and the smell is average at best. Some barnyard funk, little tartness, something slightly metallic, and some muted cherries. It gets worse as it warms up.

M - This is the worst part of this beer. It is massively over carbonated. Really the first thing you notice when the beer hits your mouth. A little bit syrupy and medium bodied.

O - Not hard to drink, but it's nothing I would really ever drink again. Not recommended.

AgentZero, Jul 07, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a cloudy pinkish/orange with a thick beige 2.5 finger head that fades rather quickly. Smells of sour cherries dominate the nose with a wisp of sweetness sneaking thru. First sip is super disappointing with a surprising lack of flavor. What is there is not very sour nor very sweet. Sure there is some slightly sour cherry notes and some bubbles tickle my tongue but damn….where’s the flavor? How can one brewery disappoint so much? This is my 3rd different beer from Sprecher tried in the last 3 days and the score is: 2 fair to poor, and 1 drainpour. I did not rate the others.

ATLbeerDog, Aug 23, 2011

GRG1313, Aug 13, 2013

SafeAtFirst, Jul 15, 2012

Duff27, Feb 25, 2012

bsuedekum, Aug 20, 2013

tgraven, Nov 13, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -11%

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

What makes the red beer red? I dunno, but this one musta been bombarded by it, a la the Hulk and his gamma rayz. Seriously, this thing is bright, shiny vermillion, capped off with a finger's worth of light pink clouds. The nose reminds of those manic Easter mornings wherein I searched high and low for painted eggs and candy. At some point, I happened upon a pouch of cherry Lik-a-Made. Sniff that pouch, and you get an idea of how this smells. Seriously, the hunt is in there too, as the cherry-ness ain't exactly all up in your biz-nasty. The taste tries to go the Belgian route and take us into Sourland, but it just doesn't try hard enough. Hell, this thing would barely get one of those "Thanks for Participating, Here's a Trophy" trophies over there. Here, it's just a meek excuse for an attempt at lambicity. Not at all happy with what's touching my tongue. Luckily it dies out rather quickly. The body is a heavy and insouciant light, with a moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm just angry at this beer. Yeah.

TMoney2591, Jan 26, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -11%

I was intrigued by this beer when I saw it on the shelves and I have liked other things from Sprecher so I thought I would give it a shot. Seeing it was a fruit beer though told me that I probably wouldn't like it as I am not usually a fan of things like that.

The best thing I can say about the beer is the look was very impressive as I poured it into a pint glass. The cherry color was cool and would definitly get some looks if you were drinking it in public as it doesn't look like a normal beer.

The taste was not for me though as it was a combination of cherries and bread. After awhile, the fruitiness and tartness got to me and made my stomach feel a little sour. Also, it is not very high in alcohol. There are other fruit beers I have liked that at least give me a nice buzz but with this beer checking in at 4% abv, that was not going to happen here.

So, I would not buy it again but I am glad I tried it anyway since I like to always broaden my beer horizons.

mjpolzin, Jul 02, 2011