Kriek Lambic - Sprecher Brewing Company

Kriek LambicKriek Lambic

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 09-24-2010)
2.03/5  rDev -36.2%

I have had sprechers kriek and I didn't enjoy it. Time to give the kriek lambic a try.

Poured into matilda chalice.

Pours 1 finger of pink hued white head. Decent retention. Color is a bright ruby red.

Aroma: Cherries with a ton of medicinal flavors. A lot of brett funk. Light tartness. Overpowering medicinal notes.

Taste: More brett flavors and medicinal flavors than anything. The cherries show minimally due to the overpowering bugs. Oak and spice hinder in the background.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and crisp. A bit sour. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends very dry.

Overalll, I wasn't a big fan of this one. It didn't taste much like any of the krieks I have had before. Overpowering brett and medicinal flavors.

mothman, Jul 12, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -23.9%

Picked up at 12oz bottle for $3 at Discount Liquor - I think I got ripped off. Shared with Mike while picking up some bubble wrap. Served in some sort of tulip.

A - A finger of quick-dissolving white foam sizzles to a thin ring of bubbles. Orange-tinged and hazy dark pink body.

S - Ripe sweet and juicy cherries, light green funk, some lactic acidity and a hint of plastic in the periphery. Actually smells pretty convincing in a fresh Boon Kriek sort of way.

T - Taste is nothing like the smell. When it isn't obscured by the horrible texture, there are notes of mineral water, rotting fruits, and very odd acetobacter. Not much cherry at all, and it gets progressively worse over time.

M - The feel is absolutely awful. The carbonation is harsher than soda, and the texture is somewhat slimy. Medium-bodied, if you're patient enough to wait out the fizz. I suppose the only way it could be worse is if some alcohol was apparent, which thankfully wasn't the case.

D - On the plus side, it made that attractive carbonation sizzle as I poured the remnants of the bottle down the drain. Just not very good - I'd rather have Boon Kriek, or even a Lindemans.

MasterSki, Jul 07, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Shared by MasterSki.

A - Red beer with a slightly pinkish head. Nothing left on the sides.

S - On the plus side, the cherry flavor doesn't smell fake. It is also not a deep enough cherry smell. There is a little bit of barnyard funk and tartness in the nose, but nothing special.

T - Taste is not quite as good as the smell, and the smell is average at best. Some barnyard funk, little tartness, something slightly metallic, and some muted cherries. It gets worse as it warms up.

M - This is the worst part of this beer. It is massively over carbonated. Really the first thing you notice when the beer hits your mouth. A little bit syrupy and medium bodied.

O - Not hard to drink, but it's nothing I would really ever drink again. Not recommended.

AgentZero, Jul 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

Saw this on the shelves...love sour/tart/fruit beers and the price was right.
A-Pours a deep cloudy purple/red with a pale pink/white foam head.
S-Cherry, bready slightly medicinal mix with some straw and wood.
T-Both tart and sweet cherries with some earth tones, wood, dirt, straw, and hints of green apple, lemon, and grape.
M-crisply carbonated and refreshing.
Overall I really wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Might not be the best example of the style, but it's very drinkable and the price certainly made it a value. At that price I might pick up another bottle or two and throw them down in the cellar for grins.

EliteDigger, Jul 02, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -11%

I was intrigued by this beer when I saw it on the shelves and I have liked other things from Sprecher so I thought I would give it a shot. Seeing it was a fruit beer though told me that I probably wouldn't like it as I am not usually a fan of things like that.

The best thing I can say about the beer is the look was very impressive as I poured it into a pint glass. The cherry color was cool and would definitly get some looks if you were drinking it in public as it doesn't look like a normal beer.

The taste was not for me though as it was a combination of cherries and bread. After awhile, the fruitiness and tartness got to me and made my stomach feel a little sour. Also, it is not very high in alcohol. There are other fruit beers I have liked that at least give me a nice buzz but with this beer checking in at 4% abv, that was not going to happen here.

So, I would not buy it again but I am glad I tried it anyway since I like to always broaden my beer horizons.

mjpolzin, Jul 02, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +11.6%

I picked this up as part of a mix-a-six at Al's of Hampden.

Poured chilled into a tumbler and flute shared with my wife(octopus87)

A deep cherry red (go figure) and the cap is a thick 2 fingers of cotton candy pink with average bead and lace. The clarity is slightly hazed and yeast particulate is visible suspended in the beer. The smell is good -lots of sweet aromas with some tart fruit and mild funk from the yeast.

The flavor doesn't match the aroma -the cherry taste is there but fades to a creamy wheat taste -like the equivalent of kool-aid in the beer realm. There is light tannic tinges and the taste has subtle sweetness from the fruit. Overall a decent example, but I prefer to get my krieks from Belgium where true Lambics originate in the Lambeek region.

Slatetank, Jun 28, 2011

A: appears a vibrant magenta with pink head. The head is short lived. No lacing to speak of.

S: huge barnyard/hay character comes in first and dominates the aroma. The brett is overwhelming and hides the cherries. The fruit character is faint and muted.

T: the taste isn't as bad as the nose. The brett is a bit tamer and the cherries come through a bit. There is a big tartness and then a funky finish. The funk leaves and acrid taste on the palate. This kriek is a mess.

MF: high carbonation, light body

O: This beer did not provide a pleasurable experience. In fact, it was quite awful. Aside from its vibrant appearance, there is no redeemable quality of this beer.

homebrew311, Jun 11, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

A light version of a Kriek. Kriek is often light to begin with. That's not good. I suppose for the uninitiated this might be a good initiation beer, but that's about it. Great appearance for the style. The nose about right with some horse blanket which carries over to the taste. Cherry dominant with slight wheat nose. Not much else. Yet a very weak version of the style. If you really want something close to true Kriek try Lindemans or other Belgian versions. The shame here is they had it, they just seemed to back off on complexity. As one reviewer here said, "A very odd version (of the style).

kencarman, May 29, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Really had no expectations with this (as with any new beer).

Into a Duvel tulip, the 22 oz. bomber pours a deep saturated scarlet, dark in the center with blood red ruby edges. Pink foam, creamy like cherry yogurt. Retention is ok, the skim only breaks after 10 minutes or so.

Full on ripe cherry nose, sweet and fruity, with a creeping Brett presence of leather, wet musty hay, and gauze notes. More fruity than anything, though the slight funkiness lends some credibility as a lambic-style wild ale. Let it warm up to really get the full aroma.

Tart pie cherry, somewhat sweet at first with some of the funkiness from the nose. Dry aftertaste, crisp carbonation. The sweetness is balanced by a flash of sourness initially, which tempers the sweet element just enough. Authentic Door county cherries are noticeable, lending a succulent bright fruitiness that is unique. Not the most complex, but it showcases the cherries nicely. Soft, lush feel with slight natural acidity from the fruit. It has the creaminess of cherry yogurt in the midpalate. Very quenching and drinkable. Objectively this is a good beer, when not attempting to judge it myopically against traditional Belgian lambics. It's not in the same league with Cantillon (lol), or even Lindemans on the other end of the scale.

Imagine Belgian Red with Brett... this "Kriek-style" fruit beer is on that path. A few bottles in the cellar would be a worthwhile experiment, as it's bottle conditioned. For a first-time *lambic-style* beer from a brewer that traditionally brews German styles, Sprecher Kriek is a success.

2013: aged bottles of this were terrible and finished dead last in a blind kriek tasting. Don't buy this if you're reading this.

emerge077, May 14, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -40.9%

What a shame, this beer pours as a very nice looking red color. The white head fizzles away shortly after the pour. The aroma is tart with cherries and bacterial sourness. The taste is tart upfront and fades into nothingness. This beer has no substance or complexity to it. The tartness of the beer doesn't stick around at all. It's a very strange lambic. I can't even tell whether it's aged at all in oak or not. If it is, then It wasn't aged long enough. Perhaps they should add more than just cherry juice to the batch and actually add full cherries to get this thing going. Not a very good brew in my opinion. Sprecher has yet to impress me with anything they've put out.

Knapp85, May 08, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

Tart, spritzy pink beer.

Peculiar pinky amber in the tulip glass. Nose is a little vinegary but interesting. Highly carbonated, and very bubbly on the tongue. Light bodied and almost delicate in its many flavors. Sour, of course, but not astringent. An undertone of earth, woody flavors. Only a hint of sweetness. Fruit is not overpowering, and more like a very dry cider.

OK, so it's Pink Champale made for us beer sophisticates. But quite drinkable, and thoroughly entertaining.

mactrail, Apr 21, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: ruby blood red pour, very clear, decent pink head

Smell: A bit muted, some tart cherries and light funk and vinegar

Taste: Also a bit muted, tart cherries, raspberries and a bit of light funk and oak.

Mouthfeel: Slightly under-carbonated, light body

Overall: This was sold as individual 12oz bottles and I purchase one bottle as such, I feel like it would be better off in 16 or even 64oz servings. Good drinkable beer, but not in small servings that are heavily scrutinized.

craytonic, Apr 15, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A: has a nice reddish pink color to it, almost like the color of grapefruit flesh. had a nice 1 inch pink head that faded quickly. There is carbonation running up the sides.

S: i get some clove in the nose. there is also some acid and a good amount of barnyardy funk. cherry aromas as well as some sweetness.

T: there is some acid in here, but it is tame. i get a musty, barnyard funk as well. hints of cherry and clove in the finish. finishes dry and with a little bitterness.

M: it has a nice light body, with good amounts of carbonation.

O: this beer is ok. I wouldnt seek it out again. I didn't expect it to be super sour, but was hoping for some more lactic acid in here. the taste isnt all that great, but it isnt a drain pour either. pretty lackluster.

ottovon, Apr 01, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle pours a hazy pinkish/coral hued body with a small pink head. Sticky curtains of lace cling to the glass.

Aroma is mostly tart cherries accented by barnyard notes and cave aged Swiss cheese.

Mouthfeel is acidic, with a medium body and subtle carbonation.

Taste is tart and funky. Lots of sour cherries in the taste and they're spiked by a tannic acidity. A hint of band-aid creeps in toward the finish but doesn't really distract.

Not a bad effort at a lambic for an American brewer. I would have preferred some oaky wood presence to add depth but this one passes muster.

merlin48, Mar 05, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -57.5%

I bought a few of these today with great expectations and to my surprise, I was quite turned off by this beer. I chilled the first one. The color was amazing, but that's where the positives ended. It had a metallic smell that I thought may have been from the cherries or because of the type of beer. The taste was acrid and very metallic. My wife confirmed what I was tasting and she actually spit what she hadn't swallowed into the sink. I figured it had to be a fluke and opened another. Same thing...undrinkable. I bought five 4 packs of Sprecher today because I love everything they brew, but this was a travesty to beer.

jester27lax, Feb 04, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -11%

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

What makes the red beer red? I dunno, but this one musta been bombarded by it, a la the Hulk and his gamma rayz. Seriously, this thing is bright, shiny vermillion, capped off with a finger's worth of light pink clouds. The nose reminds of those manic Easter mornings wherein I searched high and low for painted eggs and candy. At some point, I happened upon a pouch of cherry Lik-a-Made. Sniff that pouch, and you get an idea of how this smells. Seriously, the hunt is in there too, as the cherry-ness ain't exactly all up in your biz-nasty. The taste tries to go the Belgian route and take us into Sourland, but it just doesn't try hard enough. Hell, this thing would barely get one of those "Thanks for Participating, Here's a Trophy" trophies over there. Here, it's just a meek excuse for an attempt at lambicity. Not at all happy with what's touching my tongue. Luckily it dies out rather quickly. The body is a heavy and insouciant light, with a moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I'm just angry at this beer. Yeah.

TMoney2591, Jan 26, 2011

Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this

First of all the foam is pink! Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. The color of the beer is red...clear solid red. The smell of this beer is cherry syrup on the nose. There is lots of sweet sugar, it's like smelling cherry candy. The flavor is a hint of sour, with the cherries still on the tongue. The taste is pretty weak overall and it strikes me as a tad too flat on the palate. It's a decent beer, but nothing special, it was all build up and delivered on nothing.

Vdubb86, Jan 26, 2011

12 oz. bottle served in Boulevard Smokestack tulip:

A: Slight cotton head that dissipates quickly. Explosion of cascading carb bubbles that seemingly do not want to cease. Blood-Orange in color. Really very nice to look at.

S: Band-Aids, Cherries, margarine, musty, old records

T: Slightly medicinal, not enough cherry, tire swing

M: Puckering, slippery, tingle at finish

D: Not a bad beer to go to in a pinch. Perhaps I'm being a bit too generous with my ratings, I'm not sure. Not great, perhaps on the lower end of good...but if you're offering me one, I'll take it.

TheSaboteur, Jan 24, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +42.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz twist off (not sure about that, especially if it is ageable for a long time).

It is probably the best looking fruit beer I have seen to date along with Cantillon St. Lamvinus, in fact the look nearly identical, but this oen has a beautiful rosy pink head that billows atop the pink/magenta/red colored ale.

The smell is surprising, it really has a sharp bit of acidity that makes you cringe on the first few whiffs. It smells pretty funky actually. There is some barnyard, lemon, grapeskin, an almost vanilla like oak note, and of course door county cherry juice which is a scent I am very familiar with. It almost smells like sour vanilla cherry cream.

The flavor is just spot on for a door county cherry beer. It has loads of tart acidity, but it isn't super sour. It really reminds me of door county cherry juice with an ample amount of lemon juice, oak, vanilla, and barley thrown in. There is a subtle spiciness as well. It kind of reminds me if you mixed Rosie with Wisconsin Belgian Red, it is fantastic.

I think if you let it age the sourness would intensify and it would be awesome.

Who knew Sprecher could brew such fabulous beers. For a 25 year old brewery they are seemingly finally jumping of the deep end with some unique styles in the last few years, some flops, and some hits. IT is the least artificial cherry beer out there, and there will be dimbos coming in here and fretting over it's lack of sourness, but get over it, it is a fantastic fruit beer. It is all about the tartness with door county cherries.

crossovert, Jan 10, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a slightly foggy and glowing ruby hued orange color. The head is sudsy and pink in color. A little sticky lace.

Lots of funk on the nose. Horse blanket and wet hay along with some tart fruit in the form of cherry/raspberry.

Plenty of that horse blanket/hay funk along with mildly tart cherry. There is a peppery spice presence along with bitter grapefruit in the aftertaste. Notes of cherry pie at the end as well. Very little sweetness to be found.

Extremely dry mouthfeel. Lighter bodied, but oh so dry.

One of these will be fine for me. I would like some more sweetness and less funk in this one. It's a unique lambic with all of the funkiness happening, but I don't think it's the best lambic around. By no means a bad beer either.

jera1350, Jan 06, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for this one!

(A)- Pours a cloudy deep blood ruby red color that produced a nice pink foamy head with solid retention behind it.

(S)- A rather dry woody tart cherry profile. Alot of brett aromas in this. Funkier and drier than I expected.

(T)- Fairly similar to the smell, but the flavor totally drops off on the mid-palate. Some tart & dry cherries with a potent medicinal/band-aid brett aspect. The finish is non-existent.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Very dry with very mild fruits. A bit bitter when it comes to all the Brett-like characteristics.

(D)- An interesting American take on the style, but needs a little bit of work. A bit disjointed with an almost non-existent mid-palate and finish. A good start however, and in the right direction for Sprecher.

sweemzander, Dec 02, 2010

12 oz bottle poured into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip. 5.0% ABV, "Ale with Door County cherry juice", 10327 on the neck (Nov. 22 '10).

A - The ruby red beer is hazed through and through. A two-finger light pink foam rises up and lingers briefly before sinking to a well-retained, stout pile of bubbles. Nice spotty lace is left around the glass.

S - A nicely balanced lactic funky aroma is the first thing to come out of the gate. Hints of straw and barnyard with woody compliments are mellow but give the nose a nice complexity. The tartness from the cherries shines through well before the fruitiness does. A swirl brings out more cherry aroma.

T - Initial reaction...it's a bit thin. There seems to be a bit of an absence of malt and a lack of sweetness for a fruit lambic. Second reaction says, since when are cherries supposed to have a big sweetness? In cough syrup. And this isn't like that thankfully. This beer has a nice tart cherry flavor with a balanced lambic funk. Sprecher is playing it safe and keeping the wild tones to a minimum but the yeast still imparts nice mellow wood, straw, and barnyard nuances.

M - The thinness at first is almost mistaken for a lack of carbonation. That's definitely not the case though. Without a big sweetness common to a lot of fruit lambics, this one seems different...in a good way. It's medium-light body and lightly tart finish works well as does the well carbonated but non-obstructive level of bubbles.

D - While the color is bright red, the lambic qualities shine through well over the cherry. A good tartness to the finish makes it a balanced, training-wheel-like lambic beer for those Sprecher drinkers who may not be accustomed to the style. Nicely balanced and drinkable, Sprecher's Kriek Lambic is nothing to write home about but it is certainly a good beer from a brewery getting their feet wet in new styles not common to Wisconsin!

BeerFMAndy, Nov 25, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a crazy bright red color not unlike marischino cherry juice with a slight white head. The aroma is basically cherries, fresh sweet cherries. Reminds me of cherry pie filling. The aroma also has a touch of medicinal notes and some florals. The taste is fairly sweet and tart upfront but nothing too mouth puckering. Some funkiness makes its way out in the taste as well and tastes somewhat medicinal. Ends with a slight lingering bitterness. Light mouthfeel. A decent try at a Lambic from Sprecher but nothing I would go out of my way to try again.

kbutler1, Oct 20, 2010