Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hefe Weiss - Sprecher Brewing Company

Hefe WeissHefe Weiss

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefe Weiss Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

16 oz. bottle.

I'm working with a 14 oz. glass, so the first pour doesn't hold the entire contents. Starts off very clear and pale gold with some carbonation. I didn't get much head, but in fairness, I don't have a weizen glass on hand. Head retention was minimal, leaving a little ring, and a slight hint of lacing. The color changed to a murky yellow. Lots of brown yeasties at the bottom of the glass.

Smells pretty nice when I pop the cap. A little grassy with some clove and banana sweetness. More like overripe banana.

Strong wheaty flavor with a slight twang to it. Not much sweetness evident. Vanilla. Some very mild grassy hop bitterness. Finishes with clove and earthy yeastiness. The finish is actually more interesting than how it tastes on the tongue. It's just not real exciting, and none of the flavors really pop on the tongue. Banana is rather faint. Still an alright example of the style, and no real flaws jump at me.

Carbonation is a little too abrasive. Hefes should really be smoother than this. Does have some body to it.

It's ok. This just bores me, to be honest. I'm having a hard time remembering that I have a beer in front of me, which is not an encouraging sign. It's fine in some aspects, but not something I'd look twice at in the cooler again. If I just wanted to drink, I could down a few, especially because the abv is so low.

3.39/5  rDev -7.1%

Looks a lot like unfiltered apple cider in the glass - very murky with a slightly burnt orange color. Minimal head, though what there is persists and lacing is very persistent.

The smell is fairly sweet with lots of cloves. Some banana/bubblegum as well but mostly cloves.

Taste is a bit of a letdown. Cloves are very evident, some banana as well. There's a lemony tartness that's a little overdone, as well. Mostly, though, it's just a bit watery. A little more sweetness would have made this much nicer.

The mouthfeel is rather nice - smooth, ever so slightly viscous with creamy carbonation.

It actually drinks fairly well considering the flavor is less than I'd hoped for. Not my favorite hefeweizen but it will do in a pinch.

A - Pours a one finger head that is white and fluffy. The body is slightly hazy, not as much as I would expect in a hefe but it has the golden yellow color. The head fades to a lace after a few minutes. Lots of carbonation present in this one as its poured.

S - Sweet, banana and clove hit my nose right away with a nice balance of cinnamon and wheat. There is a nice lemony, citrus scent that is also faint as well. Overall the coriander, yeast, citrus and wheat are all there but this isn't as intense of a smell as the Dancing Man Wheat.

T - Pretty solid hefe. All the components are here except for the full, smooth flavor I have had in New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat. There is a nice clove, coriander and citrus/banana complex that has a nice wheat and yeast backbone.

M - All the citrus, clove, banana and cinnamon are right up front with a decent transition over to wheat finish that is pretty smooth up front. Not as full as I would like, but I have been spoiled. Still pretty solid.

D - Again, not as full or complete as New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat, but this is still a great hefe. I could have two or three of these in a sitting.

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz. bottle, no freshness date

A - Cloudy, golden pour with yeast in suspension. Brief, soapy white head that fades to a thin ring of bubbles with trace amounts of lace.

S - Wheat, yeast, and lemon dominate, with bits of the expected banana, clove, and bubblegum-like character.

T - Follows the nose. Finish is too brief and flat.

M - Very light bodied, even for a hefe. Not effervescent enough and leaves the brew feeling flat. You could easily chug this if you wanted to.

D - I've had worse attempts at the style, and this is drinkable, but it's not a great hefe.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a small head on a cloudy, very light body. Smelled of hops, clove, citrus, and a touch of banana. No bitterness in the taste, typical "wheatiness", with the clove, citrus and banana barely making appearances, although the banana became much more pronounced as it warmed. Good thickness, and extraordinarily smooth. A good brew, very easy to drink, but a bit unexciting.

2.96/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a Sierra Nevada Wheat glass, a great looking cloudy yellow gold, with a big mound of frothy white head.

Smell is mostly grainy wheat, with a strong clove presence. No sign of fruity notes at all.

Malt and yeast sweetness with clove spice up front, with a transition into lemon zest backed up by a light hop bite.

Mouthfeel is light. Overall, a decent Hefe, but really no different from a handful of other more readily available brews. For the price, I'd get a Pinkus, and enjoy it alot more.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Pours a pale cloudy golden color with a fizzy white head. Smells of spicy cloves and banannas. Taste is spicy with a twang to it. Not as estery as some other examples. The sweetness is kept in check. Very tangy for a hefe. This one is a great summer thirst quencher, glad I have it readily available. Nice mouthfeel for a hefe, and quite drinkable to boot.

4.27/5  rDev +17%

Bright appearance, high yellow gold color with solid white head.

The smell is brilliant yeasty bready yet fruity.

Taste has some fantastic flavors of banana, clove, and spice, works well in the summer and the fall, winter, and spring.

I highly recommend this Hefe, I've had few that are this tasty let alone at the availability of this beer.

If you've had other Sprecher and been disappointed, i.e. the Abbey Triple, Maibock, or Imperial Stout, you should try this and the black bavarian, it will reaffirm faith in this brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

16 oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass

Look cloudy yellow with a 2 finger white head that slowly reduced down to a cap.

Smell fruit, spice, and yeast.

Taste Like the smell citrus, spice, yeast with a dry sour finish.

Feel crisp mild body with good carbonation, lively.

Drink Very drinkable all flavors combine together well. I drank both bottles I had from the sampler pack.

Comment this style isn't one of my Favorites. I'll drink it now and then but I don't go out and get it for myself. However, I think this is a solid example of the style.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a soft, white head. Citrus notes all over the nose. Taste continues with lemon and then some spice. Banana essence is limited to a back seat. Creamy and quenching, but too much citrus to be a really good hefeweizen. None the less, it was enjoyable. Bottle courtesy of Zorro.

A - Hazy pale yellow with virtually no head

S - Fairly faint nose of banana and clove, just like you would expect from the style

T - Similarly to the scent, the expected flavors are there, but they're fairly muted

M - Thin moderately carbonated mouthfeel

O - To me this wasn't much more than you're typical hefe, I would certainly drink it again, but I'll never go out of my way to grab another

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

Nice straw color, pours with great head. Appears to be overly carbonated however. Aroma is a creamy blend of citrus and clove yeast. Very inviting. Excellent balance of clove and citrus as well in the flavor. Slightly crisp, but thick and full flavor. An excellent American version of the style.

I had this craft beer while I was in Florence (Firenze), Italy at a local craft beer bar. When poured into a weizen glass it has a chazy gold color, smallish head, little carbonation, and a yeasty aroma. It has a real yeasty and picey, with hints of cloves and oranges. It goes down easy, with no edge, and quenches the palate.

Florence, Italy May-July, 2013

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%

Hazy yellow color. Looks nice and cloudy. Head is gone shortly after beer is poured.

Smells like a banana's and wheat... very sweet smell, like a banana split!

Great wheat flavor. Everything I like about a wheat. Sweet banana flavor with great wheat accents. Bitterness is controlled by sweetness.

I would like this to be a little thicker in the mouth. It's a little too water, carbonation doesn't give the smooth thick feel instead feels a little crisp.

A very drinkable beer. Great flavor and a great finish. I could definitely have a few of these in one sitting!

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

A few years ago, before the brewery started to pastuerize their products this Hefe Weizen was one of my favorites that could stand up against the best of the German imports. Now, it is kind of bland, in my opinion. Nonetheless here is my review:

The appearance of the beer is typical of your hefe weizen slightly cloudy with a decent foamy head.

Smells kind of like cloves/bananas and invites me to drink it.

Taste - although it still is a decent hefe, it just seems that it does not pack as much punch as it once did. Maybe I had a bad bottle, but it tasted almost like a maco's version of their hefe weizen. To be fair, I will try and find a freshly bottled version, but the bottle I had left me somewhat dissapointed.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Christmas in a Glass!!! This smell of Cloves and Grandma's Kitchen at Holiday time permeates this entry. I love it and it was a Beer of the Month offering.. Weird for July, But who am I to Judge??
Anywho, the smells, the flavour, the colour is just bursting with Holiday Cheer!!! Sprecher, your Root Beer Rocks, but your Hefe is out of this world. Thank you for fairing out into the Craft Beer world and blessing it with a Reindeer Inspired, Grandmas Kitchen, Peace on Earth Beer Perfection.
God Bless us, Everyone!!!! Tiny, sMc
~Carry On Citizens!!!~

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Served in a weiss glass.

Appearance -- Poured hazy, golden, and yellow. Nice creamy, white, two finger head.

Smells -- Smells like a weiss . . . but weaker in a way. Musty . . .

Taste -- This is missing something. I'm not especially good at identifying what's going on with a weiss, but this is definitely missing that tart oomph.

Mouthfeel -- Medium feel to it. Not totally unpleasant.

Drinkability -- I made this purchase at the suggestion of my brother who likes this beer very much. I wasn't very impressed. I'll probably try giving the remaining bottles to my brother so I can concentrate on other beers that I'm fonder of. Not the worse beer I've ever had, but I won't buy it again for quite a while.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer is slightly cloudy orange-- actually a little clear for a hefe. It smells like grains and honey and orange peel. The aroma doesn't hit you in the face, which I like in a hefe, but it's nice. The flavor is more citrus-y than banana-y, with plenty of clove-y esters and a long, spicy finish. This is a very nice, very drinkable beer.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Golden wheat body with a thick and creamy, off-white head.

Citrus orange aroma with vanilla, coriander and caramel background. Certainly bright flavors with the sweet background malts to fill it in.

The taste brings in more of the grainy wheat, leaving behind the strong citrus that is the showcase in the smell. Orange peel is reminiscent about half way through the taste - not really a strong orange flavor, rather the more mellow and bitter part of the orange peel. Not as many spices that seem to dominate other hefeweissens, but they are hiding in this beer as reminders of the multitude of flavors that hefes can bring.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Definitely wet, which makes it a great drinker on a hot summer day.

Overall an OK beer. If I'm in the market for a Hefeweiss, I will consider this one again.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours straw gold and yeast hazy with very little head. I'm not sure if this is an old bottle or what? Aroma is lemon, vanilla, clove, and sweet wheat malt. Just a hint of sourness in the nose. Overall decent aroma. Very light on the palate with a lot of fizz. Sweet wheat malt taste, some banana, some lemon. Light on the flavor. I've had this many times before this rating and the conclusion is still the same - very drinkable, but nothing special. Prefer their lager selection.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

In 2001 I visited this brewery and was astounded at how true to style their German beers were (I had spent ten years in Munich). Unfortunately, living on the East Coast, it was the last time I had been able to find Sprecher beer until last week when I was in State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD.

A solid example of the Bavarian brewstyle particularly in taste and appearance. Really, its only drawback was that the mouthfeel faded as the beer lingered, so that the final sips, although still fully delicious, lacked the same experience as the first sips.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Picked up a 4-pack at a local liquor store. Pours slightly cloudy golden color. Nice white head that leaves some lacing. I can smell the clove spices and citrus. Worthy of calling itself a Bavarian style brew. Nice wheat taste and just the right amount of clove spices to give it a refreshing taste. I can also get a bit of banana at the end. Not as watery tasting as other craft wheat beers. This is the perfect beer on a warm, summer day. I am yet to be disappointed by Sprecher Brewing Company.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a pint glass with a nice big billowy head.

Immediate hints of banana and light citrus flavors.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin but still pleasant and drinkable.

The clarity is opaque but not as hazy and swirly as I'd prefer in a wheat beer.

It could definitely use a more pronounced wheat flavor.

My experience with the three or four beers I've had from Sprecher is that they are a competent "work-a-day" mircobrewery. They offer beers a few steps up from the big commercial breweries but don't expect the advanced artistry of a Dogfishhead or Victory.

This is an affordable Hefe that would be a good introduction to the style for those used to conventional commercial brews. No surprises but nothing bad.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last