Special Amber - Sprecher Brewing Company

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Vienna Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-13-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Special Amber Alström Bros

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy amber color. The head was quite tall and dense. Good carbonation. But the problem was a good amount of flakey floaters of some unknown origin.
Aroma was weak and mostly malts in the Vienna style. The beer was pretty smooth and even refreshing. It was quite malty and hop bitterness gave a good balance.
Perhaps I got a bad batch. The beer was desent at best.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

A - A hazy amber brown with a light pour only got a 1/4 of sticky sweet head in a lace.

S - Very faint if anything I get faint caramel and toffee (very faint) and some biscuit malts.

T - Yuengling lager only slightly sweeter with more biscuit malts. It's not terrible it's just not that great.

M - Light to medium like Yuengling it's easy to finish.

Overall it's been hit or miss with this brewery but I just don't see any reason to revisit this one.

2.26/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Nice foam-up in the Stella glass, and decently carbonated. However, the perfumey flavor is just plain peculiar. A musty flavor with a sweet base. Candy and Karo syrup flavors. Slight bitterness but no hint of hop flavor. Vanilla ice cream with browned pie crust? Cardboard scent with a whiff of the clothes dryer. Flat and dishwatery aftertaste.

I had been impressed by several Sprecher's beers a few years ago on trips to the Midwest, but I have not had any good ones recently. Maybe the distributor strew some of their beers around the country a couple years ago and left them for the unwary beer adventurer.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Slightly hazed amber, awesome head

SMELL: Freshly toasted bread, hint of caramel, spicy hop, herbal, yeast, clean, lemony

TASTE: Sweet, very bready, balanced, somewhat clean, herbal, peppery hop, Portuguese sweet bread, hop oil, semi-dry finish.

Not as refined as I anticipated but that did not throw me back at all, fresh flavors and a bit of rawness really worked here for me.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured out of a 16 oz bottle into a tulip style pint glass

A) Amber as the name implies. A foamy finger of head dissipates to a nice dusting. Good retention, not much lacing. Decent amount of carbonation noted.

S) Malty sweetness and a little bit of floral and citrus from the hops.

T) Nicely balanced brew. Sweet roasted malt, caramel flavor followed by light pine, grass and a bitter finish.

M) Lighter than I remember, and not lacking carbonation. It's pretty crisp. I wouldn't call it smooth, but it is easy drinking. Lingering aftertaste, that is just okay.

O) Very solid lager here, and definitely one of my favorites from Sprecher. Takes me back to the first Brewer game played at Miller Park. I was guzzling these in the Sprecher tent while tailgating. The next morning, my Dad asked me about when they opened up the retractable roof. I was like, the what now??? Who won? Thanks Sprecher...

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle into pint glass
A – A clear honey amber brew with an off-white 1 finger head which reduced to a thin layer with no lacing 3.5
S – Sweet caramel malts with subtle florals and a slight citrus hoppiness 3.5
T – Reminds me of the sweet Hawaiian bread. Malts are caramel with a nutty characteristic with just enough hop presence that you will not miss it nice balance 4
M – Light body and very good drinkability with enough substance to keep it from feeling thin 4
O – As I grow older I find the good experiences in my life are growing in number enough that I will only remember the extraordinary experiences. A nice beer I will not remember or visit again. 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

A- pours a golden orange with minimal foam. no retention as the foam immediately dissipates.

S- sweet and piney. Pretty balanced smell.

T- deep malty and piney taste. Doesn't "wow" me

M- light body slides across the palate. Maltiness remains

O- Drinkable, but I wouldn't buy this beer. If I had anymore I would probably give them away to make room for some other stuff.

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

Fresh bottle from the brewery. A little cheesy aroma. Much head that resulted in a small retained head, on light yellow body. Not very drinkable,grassy, herbal, light caramel, medium body. A Vienna, just not so tasty.A little sweet, no significant bitterness.

Special Amber from Sprecher Brewing Company