Bootlegger's Bourbon Barrel Hard Root Beer - Sprecher Brewing Company

Bootlegger's Bourbon Barrel Hard Root BeerBootlegger's Bourbon Barrel Hard Root Beer

good

Sprecher Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

This is NOT a beer. It will be deleted. DO NOT REVIEW.

(Beer added by: zaraspook on 09-15-2013)
1.35/5  rDev -61.6%

This is the worst "beer" I've had in roughly 24 months (I don't keep great notes, or even any notes, so more exact timing is difficult).

This doesn't taste like root beer. And yet in a blind taste test of 6 root beers, I chose Sprecher Root Beer as my favorite. So, this is nothing like their root beer, if you consider that any sort of internally consistent proof.

This is also nothing like...beer.

The initial hit is fine, even good, and really makes you think, "Hm, this could be...the one!" Then the beverage covers the rest of your tongue and you. cannot. hide. It's like the beverage has a psychotic break on your tongue and devolves into nonsense.

If you've ever drunk Steel Reserve, then you'll understand a big part of my taste test. If I detect Steel Reserve on the back-end mouth-feel/taste (hot, malt liquorish, oh-they-just-want-me-to-get-drunk-as-cheaply-as-possible), then it's probably not going to rank high as a great taster. This beverage tastes like a mix of maple-y soy sauce mixed with a big can of Steel Reserve as it flies apart on the back end of your palate. It's also a little over-fermented, but that's what gives it a root-beerish mouth-feel (that I agree it has a-plenty). The bubbles make it storm over your taste buds like those little scrubbing bubbles from bathtub commercial fame. If it were a great taste, then...great. But it's not.

I believe I added this to my beer bottle collection last year, and yet it is already retired. Does that mean "Limited Edition" or "Sucktastic"? Pursuing the truth of that is left to the reader, and I hope there is no more of this product anywhere in the world such that the reader can actually follow through with that exercise.

sutekh137, Apr 29, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

Whiskeydeez, Oct 07, 2013
1.65/5  rDev -53.1%

One time years ago I accidentally picked up the wrong cup and took a big sip of somebody's old Skoal dip spit instead of my drink, which I had set down next to the spit cup. It was a horrifying experience. This Sprecher product tastes like that, which says as much about it as you need to know. Wintergreen, sweet something, and "off".

I love root beer and have always wanted to try an alcoholic one, so I was really glad to find this. I wonder what I would think of it if I had never had the spit-drinking incident, but alas, I can never know. I think it would still be bad.

I toughed this out for a good few sips after the first one but ultimately had to pour it out. Now I'm stuck with three more of them. I think I will put them in some random person's mailbox.

BrownNut, Apr 30, 2014

Nemers, Mar 20, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

Cloaked_Phantom, Jan 01, 2014
2.86/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I really wanted to like this beer, since I like a good root beer with a kick. Perhaps I just favor root beers with more of a licorice or wintergreen flavor, but this Hard Root Beer did nothing for me. When I tried it, all I got was a malt and cream flavor, which unfortunately isn't quite my thing.

iheartmyTHO, Jan 22, 2014