Join our email list →

Oregon, United States | website

American IPA | 6.70% ABV

Beer added by: grumpy on 08-23-2006

Ninkasi website:
"6.7% alc./vol. 65 ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Total Domination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 358 | Hads: 1,345
3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Cloudy pale amber color. Medium sized whitish head, creamy and long lasting.

Some grapefruit/citrus hop aroma. Not much malt. Smells a bit weird. More malt and a hint of alcohol as warms.

Subtle malt sweetness melds with citrus hop flavor fruitiness. Gentle transition ot a bigger finish. Stoutly bitter, but not overpowering.

Medium body and carbonation. No astringency despite the hops. Minimal alcohol warming.

A pleasant west coast IPA. Well made, but nothing out of the ordinary.

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Clear deep orange color with a healthy white head. Very hop forward in the aroma, mostly piney notes coming through with some faint fruity character as well (mostly berry notes). Piney hops dominate the flavor as well with a very low bready quality. Smooth feel with medium carbonation. Finishes dry, the beer lives up to its name, total hop domination. Could be slighty more balanced,mbut I guess thats not the point here.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Got this in a 4-pack of different Ninkasi bottles from Costco for $13. Good buy for such a high quality beer.

Caramel appearance. Slightly cloudy.
Hoppy / citrus smell
Taste is slightly bitter - not what you'd expect from something called Total Domination, though.

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber gift from my gf friend. Split up and poured into a pint glass. Paired with triscuits and goat cheese.

A&S: Heads is a pure white and has pretty good retention. Beer is a transparent semi-lively light orange color. Majority of the aroma is citrus: orange peel, lemons. Some spice and a light malt profile as well.

T&M: Similar to the aroma as far as citrus characteristics. Slight alcohol kick. A little overly bitterness in the finish. Some spiciness in the finish. Very drinkable. Has a carbonation bite but remains semi smooth.

Overall: With a name like total domination, I would expect something super intense. This beer wasn't super intense however it was still good and definitely refreshing. Nothing I seek out in particular, but I found it well put together and right for the mood I was in.

Boring as far as IPAs go. Nose is muted and I don't get much of the citrusy, fruity goodness I usually get with IPAs. Taste is just... Bitter. There's not much fruit or pine in the hop profile. There is a pleasant malty sweetness under the hoppiness. Overall, I'd say this is a rather one-dimensional and mediocre IPA.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

2.75 out of 5.I expected a bit more but all in all not terrible.Slightly too bitter without any sweetness to back it up.Pours great and looks good.Some kind of odd smell that didn't appeal to me.Not sure if I will try this again.Maybe if it is on tap.I will try their others if I see them though.

2.93/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Purchased a single of this beer - right off the first couple of sips I'm glad it's only one bottle -

First things first the name total domination is awesome reminds me of the UFC -

Pours a sweet orange color. Looking through the glass is like being underwater.

I enjoyed this beer out of my favorite tulip. I really wanted to get a good whiff of this beer but there was hardly any smells coming out of it .. Maybe a little nuttiness combined with bland malts

First sip was real cold, masking a bunch of my favorite IPA features.
Taste is a ton of lite malts - kinda like the taste you get after chugging bud light
Very watery . Hops sneak in the back door a little too late making the after taste real bitter

Swirling a bit and sippin right after provides a somewhat rewarding mouthfeel - crisp but not over carbonated

Overall there's no way I can see myself purchasing this again - not out here in the land of the IPAs

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Light orange. Mostly clear, ever-so-slight of a haze. Super thin head.
S: Can not make out any hop aroma. A little malt aroma is all I smell.
T: Small malt profile. Big on the pine and tar hops. Some citrus. Dr
M: Medium-high carbonation. Dry.
O: Good IPA. But it tastes like every other super hoppy NW IPA.

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

Served on tap into a shaker glass.

A- Poured a fairly clear orange color with soapy off-white head that left no lace.

S- Some citrusy hops, herbal hops, and sweet oatmeal notes.

T- Lots of sweet oatmeal notes, bready, some citrusy, herbal, and earthy hops. Moderate to high bitterness.

M- Prickly carbonation, lighter bodied, and semi-dry finish.

O- Hard to believe I have given a proper review to the most popular beer in Eugene. It is not really what I look for in an IPA, lots of the herbal and earthy bitterness that I expect in hoppy Ninkasi beers that just is not really my thing. It was one of the first beers I had when I moved to Oregon and seemed fitting to give it a proper one month before I move away from Oregon. Glad to see Ninkasi's growth and they are an easy brewery to support since they do so many great things in the community, but just not my kind of IPA.

3.29/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice amber color with a good amount of head and leaves nice lacing in the glass. Very little hop aroma but overall good balance between bitterness and body. It would benefit from more flavor in the middle. Mouthfeel is as expected.
Not my first choice but isn't bad in a pinch.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

a unique ipa that has the uncommon feature of being both fruity and citrusy in hop profile, but then also being punishingly bitter. the finish on this is one of the most bitter in any beer i have ever had, which is totally unexpected. its a little less nuanced than tricerahops, but is like its slightly younger brother. still extremely robust on the hop front with literally unrivaled bitterness. light orange glow to a hazy pale beer with an inch or so of lasting white foam head. nose and taste of grapefruit hops, maybe columbus, with the fruit up front and again, insane bitterness after the swallow. malts are medium bodied but minimally flavorful. just two row and some crystal with a bit more color. carbonation is great, really lively, but the bitterness on the tongue hurts the mouthfeel and after a few sips, inhibits my ability to taste the first half of the beer. i genuinely appreciate it for what it is, and am stoked on its freshness, but the bitterness doesn't add anything for me.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

on tap at Ground Kontrol, Portland

Pale amber with off white film.
Pissy, Lemonhedz nose.
Toasted caramel popcorn with pine, sour lemon, and resin hops.
Ruthless pith finish and aspirin linger.
Light, crisp, dry.

Big hop hit but clean finish. Sessionable in that it cleans up after itself. IBU hit over aroma and body - definitely one for the hop heads. Whole is greater than the sum of the parts, but still not a patch on Tricerahops.

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into the Sam Adams turbulator.

Pale golden color with some haze and a thick creamy head. Thick coats of lace line the glass.
Aroma is sweet cereal grains, lots of pleasant unfermented honey and fruity hops. Hops seem somewhat subdued in aroma.
Tastes almost as it smells with less of the grains, still a good amount of sweet honey and a smack of bittering resin with fruity hops and finishing quite bitter. A real nice ipa that follows the style nice with a pleasing added touch of sweetness.
Mouthfeel is slick and full bodied finishing crisp and clean.
Very nicely done.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Total Domination is a slightly hazy, golden peach color with a moderate sized, creamy and dense light tan head. Head has good retention and leaves moderate lacing. Aroma is headlined with stale bread. Also has some orange and lemon rinds and musty grapefruit, a touch of sweet juiciness.

Taste starts with a dry and bready bitterness, moving to musty citric rinds, and finishing with more stale bread and nondescript bitterness. Feel is light with high carbonation.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

This poured a simple golden amber with a slightly off-white head. It showed mild carbonation and minimum retention.

For an American IPA, the aroma was not too citrusy; it displayed more peachy fruit esters and a medium-dry malt character with grassy undertones. Overall, this smells cool and sweet.

The taste is sharp and crisp supported by some substantial grain character and a powerful hoppy finish. I found the hop character to be a little one-dimensional; they seem to be going for shock value rather than complexity and balance.

It feels good in the mouth, but a tad too light and frothy for my taste.

Overall, this was a strongly mediocre IPA. Definitely not the best that I've had but drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a robust gold with a big billowing white head that sticks to the edges of the glass.

Smell is loads of hops. Orange, lemon, pine, some caramel malt.

Taste is the same with a decent malt whallop, accompanied by fresh hops. Pine and citrus stands out but there are some fruity tones as well like pineapple and mango.

Feel is pretty good, nice carbonation with a balanced thickness.

Overall this is a solid IPA from a great brewery. I do prefer the double IPA from Ninkasi though its got just a bit more kick.

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Light orange color, white head.

S: Satsuma oranges dominate the nose, along with orange, grapefruit and a general citrus aroma.

T: More satsuma, tangerine, orange and grapefruit on a perfect malt backbone. Delicious!

M: Medium bodied, smooth for an IPA.

O: An excellent IPA. Definitely worth a try.

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Bubbly white head, hazed pale amber hue. Juicy nose with fruity overtones, both hops and mild alcohol have infiltrated my nostrils. Smooth throughout, balanced hop bitterness is just the beginning ... citrus pith, peppery, powdered aspirin, and pungent. Big juicy kiss of exotic fruit in the middle with a bit of alcohol in tow.

Not half bad for an IPA, not like the rest and seem more of a old school American IPA before the whole hop thing became a pissing match. Decent drinking.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz undated bottle.
Pours with a large creamy head - exceptional, especially for style.

Feel: near medium body is a touch thin but with enough carbonation to lend some crispness, and a bit of creaminess, especially with the head.

Hops: primarily piney with some herbal and little fruit other than a strong grapefruit rind taste that lingers on and on in the aftertaste.

O: Great appearance and find feel, but not my favorite mix of hops.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

If you are going to get an IPA from this brewery, spend a little more and get the Tricerahops (was not the biggest fan of that one either, but it's better). I got a bomber of this and about half way through I was wanting to get a different beer. I really like IPAs, but this one was pretty underwhelming.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Code on bottom of bottle.

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper orange. Finger of head. Good retention. Moderate carbonation. Moderate lacing. Head color is off khaki.

S: Evergreen, grapefruit rind. Lot of grain in this one. Toffee malt sweetness in the nose.

T: Shot of bitterness up front that is walloped by the malt. Milled grain, mild grapefruit bitterness. Finish is a bit rustic. Reminds me of SN's take on the style. Malt dominant for an IPA, with enough bitterness to keep things balanced. Really tastes like more of a pale ale in my book. Lacking the citric bitterness of a west coast ipa.

M: Smooth, a bit heavy, but nothing over the top. Goes down easily enough.

O: A bit lacking in flavor. The hops are there, but they are muted. The malt is there, but it's mostly a nondescript "grain" flavor. Reminds me of an underwhelmed torpedo. Not bad, but I won't seek it out again.

2.46/5  rDev -32.8%

poured from a 650 ml bottle. I haven't really enjoyed the other beers I've tried so far from Ninkasi, so I'm not expecting to love this one, but hopefully it'll be a decent IPA.

A: honey colour, pretty cloudy, a couple fingers of head with decent retention.

S: There's something definitely unappealing about this. Dank and a bit musky, with a slight hint of tropical fruit. To be honest, and I feel like an asshole for saying this, the smell reminds me a little bit of cat urine.

T: Fortunately, the taste is better than the smell! But not that much. Yeast, intense piney/grassy bitterness, the end.

F: Average.

O: I would never buy anything from Ninkasi again. I might end up pouring this one down the drain.

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think The Bros may have gotten this one wrong. That, or they ran into a bad batch. Had to ask myself, "Self, do you think they tasted the same beer we did?"

Appearance is classic new world IPA. Honey gold and bright. Poured from a 22oz bottle with ample but not excessive head. Pleasing lace left within glass. Just a trace of sediment.

Smell is all about the dank. "It smells like the art teacher's office." --Lisa Simpson

Taste is plenty bitter, but I wouldn't say teeth-whiteningly bitter. This is an IPA, after all. There's enough malt to provide a counterpoint, and I'm happy to say that there is no cloying sweetness. Long finish reveals complexity.

Mouthfeel is bitter on sharp on the edges and smooth in the middle. Proper levels of carbonation.

Overall, I really like this beer. I've had it about a dozen times, and I suppose there has been some variation in the overall impression, but I've never been disappointed.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Taste is pine, , grapefruit rind, more pine. I wasn't a fan of the first bottle of the 6pack that I picked up. But I gave it a shot the next day, and it was much better, maybe it was a dud.

Smell: Very light, a teeny bit grassy, and I thought it smelled more like a pilsner, than an IPA. This IPA had what I was looking for with a second try. Solid overall.

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle purchased from Bring On The Beer.

A- pours a clear bright 24k gold with a 2 finger head of foam, does well with the lacing.

S- strong piney nose mixed with that;s almost like a floor wax aroma. I can tell this is going to be bitter but in a good way or a bad way?

T- very piney bitter on first sip with no sign of any balancing malt. The more I sip, the more the pine off shoots to an aspirin bitterness. Again, no sign of any malt and that could have been a saving grace. Long lasting, on the nasty side, bitterness ensues. Oh my.

M- good body and carbonation so no complaints there.

O- Not at all an IPA that suits my fancy. Bitter for bitter's sake? Me thinks so. No.

Total Domination IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company