Total Domination IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: grumpy on 08-23-2006

Ninkasi website:
"6.7% alc./vol. 65 ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,170 | Reviews: 340
2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think The Bros may have gotten this one wrong. That, or they ran into a bad batch. Had to ask myself, "Self, do you think they tasted the same beer we did?"

Appearance is classic new world IPA. Honey gold and bright. Poured from a 22oz bottle with ample but not excessive head. Pleasing lace left within glass. Just a trace of sediment.

Smell is all about the dank. "It smells like the art teacher's office." --Lisa Simpson

Taste is plenty bitter, but I wouldn't say teeth-whiteningly bitter. This is an IPA, after all. There's enough malt to provide a counterpoint, and I'm happy to say that there is no cloying sweetness. Long finish reveals complexity.

Mouthfeel is bitter on sharp on the edges and smooth in the middle. Proper levels of carbonation.

Overall, I really like this beer. I've had it about a dozen times, and I suppose there has been some variation in the overall impression, but I've never been disappointed.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Taste is pine, , grapefruit rind, more pine. I wasn't a fan of the first bottle of the 6pack that I picked up. But I gave it a shot the next day, and it was much better, maybe it was a dud.

Smell: Very light, a teeny bit grassy, and I thought it smelled more like a pilsner, than an IPA. This IPA had what I was looking for with a second try. Solid overall.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle purchased from Bring On The Beer.

A- pours a clear bright 24k gold with a 2 finger head of foam, does well with the lacing.

S- strong piney nose mixed with that;s almost like a floor wax aroma. I can tell this is going to be bitter but in a good way or a bad way?

T- very piney bitter on first sip with no sign of any balancing malt. The more I sip, the more the pine off shoots to an aspirin bitterness. Again, no sign of any malt and that could have been a saving grace. Long lasting, on the nasty side, bitterness ensues. Oh my.

M- good body and carbonation so no complaints there.

O- Not at all an IPA that suits my fancy. Bitter for bitter's sake? Me thinks so. No.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Total Domination IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company