Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 427 | Hads: 1,590

This is easily my favorite IPA i have ever had. First off its a double, which is awesome in itself. The great thing about it is that i couldnt taste any of the bitter taste you can get with a double, and the beer drank so smooth i just wanted to down it all at once. A couple of these and i was feeling really good so i would recommend this to everyone even if you do not like to drink IPA. I had a couple friends with me and they all agreed is was very good and easy to drink and they are not big into IPA or even dark beers.

I have been a beer fan for 50+ years and this one has blown me away. Exceptional flavor and after taste. I wish the beer was less damaging so I could drink more but two is absolutely all I can handle. The wife works for the distributor so I get a break on cost. I just love this beer

22oz bomber split into tulip

A. Glowing golden Orange with good clarity. 2 finger head in the form of thousands of perfectly round tiny bubbles of carbonation bonded in tight cohesion.

S. Citrus, pine, grapefruit and grassy freshness, a lot of aroma hops have been used in this one.

T. Great dry citrus hops hit first, mild malt subdue slightly, but the hops sure stand on their own and take center stage. 8.8% abv is amazingly hidden in this wonderful earthy and refreshing Dipa.

M. Crisp, clean, but hop munchyness and flavors coat the mouth and leave a remarkably nice flavor on the palate.

O. Awesome DIPA, I can't really find one bad thing to say about it. This would be one of my go to dipa's if it was available in my area.

Of course, my current favourite beer of all time - a double IPA - is only sold in select places 50km from my house, so I can't enjoy it as much as I'd like. Sigh.

Tricerahops is truly a wonder to behold. A glorious ornage/golden cloudy colour, enough hops to make your head spin, but with subtle fruity undertones (but not too fruity) makes this an exception hop-bomb you can enjoy. I first tried this beer on tap at the Great Canadian Beer Festival in Victoria, BC - and ever since, I've loved this beer and nearly anything I've tried from Ninkasi Brewing.

I simply must find a way to get more of this one. At 8.8% ABV and a ridiculous amount of IBUs, you may initially pay a premium for the beer's deliciosity but it's a slow drinker so it will last a while - but it's really easy to down as well, despite its alcohol content, so be forwarned.

I have one sitting in my fridge waiting for a special occasion (Christmas or New Years, at this point) but I am desperately looking for more of this one.

I don't have a problem...I just absolutely adore this beer. This is the first beer I've ever given a 5.0 rating to across the board, and I stand by it 100%.

4.99/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured from bottle into chilled pint glass. Lacing outstanding, extremely smooth with an excellent hop bitter finish. Really outstanding brew that's worth looking for and buying.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

I don't even know what to say, this is so good. I can't get this anywhere close to where I am, but my friend Mike brought a bomber back just recently. If I had to design an IPA, this would be exactly as it would be. Pours like they all do, but who cares, it's dark orange inviting, and more yellow that rust and tannic. Head, who cares! Smells yummy piney, floral and citrus hops, really makes me want to shove my head in the glass, good. If I could only 'jam on' my olfactory centers to continually perceive the hops: That good! Taste is clean malt, then citrus rind and more pine, and a hop echo that really can't be beat. This stuff has terrific after effects and outstanding balance. Mouthfeel is really good for a DIPA, and the alcohol lower, which I like, and the carbonation is moderate-low and fine and not overly syrupy in the delivery. If I were stinking wealthy, I'd hire a courier to bring this to my door. I'd have one every day. Astonishing.

4.82/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into a chilled mug on 6/30/10.

Coppery-orange & slightly clouded, with a generous, creamy head with staying power, leaving substantial lacing & no doubt it was there.

As soon as the cap was popped, the bouquet jumped out! This is the first beer I can really say smelled "floral". Grapefruit, too, in nice measure. Massive hops, just like you'd expect in a DIPA, with a nice bite. Just like it says on the bottle: "Fiercely flavorful."

Chewy in the mouth, with a decent tingle-factor. Great carbonation. Fairly begs to be paired with something spicy.

All around great beer!

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

So . . . I like it. You can tell by the rating. I don't like the price, but I really, really like Tricerahops. Is it a beer? Yes, under Germanic laws it should qualify. Yet, it takes beer - that stuff we started quaffing in our teens with the boys while buying up the wine coolers for any ladies we could scrounge up - to a different level. Total Domination is an excellent, balanced IPA which in some respects drinks so smoothly that it's like a pale ale. Tricerahops is the Double IPA that explodes with flavor but is so refined that it's smoother than any IPA you might care to mention. This is beer that's better than wine. It's not industrial swill. It's not your average IPA with some grapefruit and so-so malt that's too bland or too thin. The taste and intensity is completely different but in the overwhelmingly appealing qualities of this double IPA, the balance, and the balanced greatness of the malt, it's like a 21st century SABL.

Tricerahops is a radiant orange in the evening light of my house. It has some cloudiness to it, although not as much as some ales. The head is a gorgeous off-white that builds, lasts, and laces.

The best descriptor for Tricerahops is that it's Total Domination amplified, but that's terrible for anyone who hasn't enjoyed Total Domination. It's a blend of citrus of several types, all delicious, and just enough dark resinous pine to let you know that this Dino means business. Not a false note. The aroma stays great to the bottom of the glass, not getting a little weak like Total Domination.

The taste is everything you would hope for. Yes, there's the grapefruit, and the other citrus and tropical fruits, and they are bitter just like such fruits are - but never too much. All that goodness is in there with a malt that's just excellent. It's what we never imagined beer could be in the 1980s. The IBU is 100 but you would never know it. The bitterness is in proportion to the flavor.

The feel is smooth. This double IPA is full and deep. The flavors have a lot to offer and the malt is there to hold them up and hold it all together.

I can't speak for her, but imagine that Ninkasi favors this beverage. Fermentation perfected?

4.77/5  rDev +19%

22 oz bomber poured into a glass chalice. Bottle says 8.8% ABV. Tricerahops poured out a hazy soft amber with a big, silken white head.

This is probably the sweetest, freshest smelling hop perfume I have ever experienced. Wow. This aroma is unreal.

Taste is just as pleasurable as the aroma. Tons of hops flavor, nice level of bitterness, a hop lover's dream. But at the same time, it's very well balanced, with an almost honey-like sweetness. The alcohol can't be detected at all...very well hidden. This is a big beer that doesn't feel like a big beer.

Super drinkable...it tempting not to just quaff this down. Mouthfeel is very creamy with medium viscosity.

Another Ninkasi beer lives up to and exceeds the hype. This IPA is ridiculous. Seek it out.

4.77/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours copper with a head that dissipates quickly. Very attractive beer, smell is an orangy citrus, a sweet hoppy pineapple or peach, as another reviewer said, setting the tone for what's expected to be a nuanced and complex sweet hop bomb.

The promise doesn't quite play out in the taste, which is very hoppy and gets bitter right away (though delicious). I'm getting a burnt malt/toffee flavor that is assertive without being aggressive (or arrogant, you know who I'm talking about) and the citrus, much reduced in the taste compared to the aroma, is nicely balancing out any pine or pepper which comes in a little later.

Long aftertaste in which the malt comes in stronger, a nice enjoyable finish.

The texture is a little sticky and oily and the alcohol is there, making one aware this is a DIPA to sip rather than gulp. Very drinkable and one of my favorites right now. More nuanced than Ninsaki's hoppy Total Domination, and at $5 - $6 a bomber, this is a great deal when you can find it.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Before I start off I should say that I love this beer. The malt is malty the hops are hoppy and it fits like a puzzle piece on my palate.

A) Foamy head with a hazy body. To me it seems a tad to dark for the style but thats just me being nit picky... just a tiny little bit tad

S) Hops, like hops in a bag from the lhbs packed and crisp BUT I should mention not what soever is the smell even close to the perfect heavenly smell that ipas can have...

T) this is one of those beers you have to taste to really understand. It's a perfect example of a real IPA. The hops aren't highly on center stage with the malty flavor filling all the gaps

M) the mouth feel is as expected from something almost perfect. It's not to thin not to thick its just about right

O) I love this beer though I know that out in that wide beautiful world is an IPA that really truly showcases brewing at its finest this may not be it though its pretty damn close...

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

A: Solid medium amber with some floatees , foamy tan head of average retention.

S: Very piney then a little grassy & woody, possibly a little grapefruit way in the back. Totally not the hop aroma of midwest DIPA.

T: Unbelieveably sophisticated. The big ibu's and abv's totally masked. The flavor starts as a tart grapefruit, a little caramel, the flavor notes just balance together.

D: You could definately get three sheets to the wind in a hurry and never realize what happend. Most subtle of the DIPA's I've had this season. But a real adult beverage in the dryness and totally unique flavors. Wish I could get on a regular basis, and I'd kill to have on tap.

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a reddish orange with a finger of white head that recedes to a small pool with some larger bubbles interspersed
S: Smells spicy and piney with hints of grapefruit and sweetness
T: Starts a little slow with flavors of apple skin, but quickly knocks out the taste buds with a huge wave of pine and some herbal flavors. There's a dash of sweetness to keep things in balance but the aftertaste is a bitter mix of tropical fruit, pine, and citrus
M: Full bodied and smooth with slightly prickly carbonation. Not overly slick and by no means watery
O: This is a world class double IPA that stands toe to toe with Maharajah, Ruination, and 90 Minute IPA

4.69/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ninkasi, low in my eyes, yet, I find myself "tipping my hat" to this beautiful brew. pouring classic deep yellow IPA rising to a perfect head off white. let the aromatics talk to you, smell, and really breath deep, underneath the hops the smooth nose leave you wanting more. The taste is surprisingly balanced, bitter for the hop lover and balanced for the casual drinker, this is definitely a "go to"

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer was not kidding. Its poor graphic design and relatively unknown brewery lead me to believe that i was buying a dud, but something in my heart said push on. to buy... two... Now that i think about it that was probably my childhood (and continuing) love of the triceratops.

Definitely the most bad ass of plant eating dinos, I gave this beer blind hope and was rewarded with a delicious DIPA.

The nose was citrus, grassy pine, fresh bread and a hint of dinosaur blood (probably extracted from an amber bound mosquito. The taste was sweeter/creamier than any west coast IPA i have had since Bear Republic's Apex. Reminded me of a less over the top version of FFF's apocalypse cow. It was extremely balanced and very very delicious.

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a pitcher of this for super cheap at a pizza joint in Pismo, and was pretty happy by the time my buddy and I finished it. It has a great IPA smell, very strong hops. Shouldn't it be a triple IPA? No matter, it is a very hoppy IPA with a great color and finish. High on flavor and character.

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to unclejedi for bringing me down tis bottle, which was hads down one of the best, fruity IPA's I have ever had. Served cold and poured into a tall pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 12/29/2008.

The pour was very nice, rich dark amber in color with a light amount of cloudiness and haze. Rich looking with a nice head of about two inches in height and a nice fade into sticky side glass lacing.

The aroma was unreal. Rich fruity notes of peach and orange, hints of lemon and tangerine, so sweet and rich I was beside myself. Not the pungent bitter hops, the light, sweet, fruity notes that I loved. The flavor was more of the same, super sweet light orange and tangerine notes, hints of pineapple and light biscuit malts in the backround. Long sweet, and bitter,dry finish was superb as well. Smooth, mellow carbonation was done just right with an ease of drinkability that had me very impressed with every bit of the 8+ percent no where to be found.

Again one of the best big IPA's I have ever had. This was so well done and so well balanced and fresh I was just amazed. I have to look for this one again soon.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The Tricerhops pours a cloudy light autumn orange with a solid 1-2 finger foam head. There was some intermittent lacing that left its mark.

The aroma is heaven for a hop head like myself. I could glean the lovely cascade smell with some real sweetness.

The taste was really smooth with not alot of bite but a lot of hop flavor. It was like drinking a DIPA ice cream cone. On the finish there was some dank bitterness that left a pleasant feeling in the mouth. Overall a wonderful effort by the Eugene brewers. I would drink this just about any day of the week.

4.59/5  rDev +14.5%

the malt and the hop flavors make this beer for me. I know that sounds stupid because what (besides yeast) the hell else would you be tasting bud? right? I know, however, a lot of IPAs I have had recently, now that they make up like 90% of the 22ozers at my liquor store :( , have been really bitter and really sweet which i guess = balanced, but i cound't for the life of me find another tasting note for them.
HOWEVER, this beer, this beer is bursting with both flavor and subtlety. malt flavor is rich but not over powering (2 row, munich and carahell) i dont know much about carahell and now i am interested. the hops bring bitterness, but alos complex tropical fruit aromas and spiciness.
this is an all around great IPA

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark straw yellow with a nice eggshell white medium head. Good cling and nice head retention. There is some carbonation activity after the poor.

S- Nice big hop aroma,pine and citrus notes present.

T- Nice hoppy flavor that is balanced perfectly. Good flavor combination of sweet malt and the citrus from the hops. Smooth start that finishes somewhat dry.

I orginally had this in Eugene while there for a Ducks game and thought it was kickass. So much so that I finally broke down and ordered a few bottles from Bottletrek. Beautiful flavor combinations that mask its strength. If this were available here this could definately be in my regular rotation. I have been throughly impressed with everything that Ninkasi has put out. In my dreams/future I am living in Oregon and buying and drinking this on a regular basis. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of my visit to Eugene more and buy way more of this than I did. I got caught up in trying as many beers as possible instead of sticking with what I liked the best. Can't wait to have this again. Excellent beer, great representative of an Imperial IPA. "If you have the means I highly recommend picking it up."

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle brought via Iowa (thanks Dan and Jean!), delicious: worthy of "double IPA" distinction. Stronger than IPA at 8.8 ABV and bitterness level, yet not syrupy, sweet, or indigestible like a barleywine. Malty yet dry. A real clone-worthy beer. Aroma good, but a bit more hops would have been nice, but not unexpected from a bottle. Must get more.

4.57/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks a bunch SatlyMalty! Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch white head that doesn't retain long before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and random tufts of surface foam. Splotchy lacing.

S- Effervescent hop aroma that's citrusy and grassy. Notes of grapefruit, pine and some astringency from the alcohol

T- The hops sink their teeth in and then let go like they were almost never there. The bitterness is so abrupt but subtle. There's a splash of tropical fruit flavor like grapefruit, orange zest and lemon but it all quickly recedes leaving a dry finish with a modest lingering bite. Alcohol is nicely subdued.

M- Oily and crisp with medium carbonation and an average body.

O- I rarely find an IPA that can be this hoppy yet still be so balanced and restrained. Definitely the best I've had from Ninkasi thus far.

4.56/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Hazy golden orange. Silky & sticky lacing

S: Grapefruit rind, orange blossoms, and a generous dose of crystal malt.

T: Juicy, fresh squeezed oranges, an uplifting amount of bitterness, and a healthy dollop of toffeeish caramel malt

M: Velvety smooth. It really keeps the 100+ IBU's in check and creates a nice experience.

D: A very nice offering.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap for only two bucks he'll yes!

Look is a beautiful copper orange thin white head

Smell strong grapefruit sweet pine overall one of the best smelling dipa I have ever had

Taste is superb strong malt sweet hop ibis coming through pine citrus

Mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had real thick but not trying to be sludge just great

Overall one of my fav nw beers out there

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured all cellar temperature-like into my tulip. About time, really.

The first thing you need to know is that this is a very pretty IPA. I mean seriously pretty. Radiant orange, rocky, long-lasting, just off-white head, and glamorous lacing. A real looker.

It smells of fragrant pine, hops of the dank, herbal variety I swear I get a little basil and oregano, but I WAS making pizza sauce a half-hour ago), and orange. Bit of honey. A zesty aroma. Yes, that's the word.

Oh, okay. so that's how it is. The flavor just somewhat exploded on my palate. I wasn't quite prepared for that. This tastes like the result of squeezing fresh oranges, lemons, and grapefruit, and then mixing that citrus juice with pure pine needle extract. It's the bread and butter of IPAs: citrus and pine, but turned up to an extravagant level. Not to mention the lovely bready finish with a lingering balance of astringency and malts.

Love the feel. It's got substance, and substantial carbonation, but at the same time a certain softness.

An wonderful example of an ale that proves you don't need a bunch of ridiculously nuanced complexities to be great (don't get me wrong - I like complexity, too). But this is just unabashed, unashamed, IPA deliverance. And it wooks pwerty. :B

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company