Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 413 | Hads: 1,527
4.69/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ninkasi, low in my eyes, yet, I find myself "tipping my hat" to this beautiful brew. pouring classic deep yellow IPA rising to a perfect head off white. let the aromatics talk to you, smell, and really breath deep, underneath the hops the smooth nose leave you wanting more. The taste is surprisingly balanced, bitter for the hop lover and balanced for the casual drinker, this is definitely a "go to" (401 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer was not kidding. Its poor graphic design and relatively unknown brewery lead me to believe that i was buying a dud, but something in my heart said push on. to buy... two... Now that i think about it that was probably my childhood (and continuing) love of the triceratops.

Definitely the most bad ass of plant eating dinos, I gave this beer blind hope and was rewarded with a delicious DIPA.

The nose was citrus, grassy pine, fresh bread and a hint of dinosaur blood (probably extracted from an amber bound mosquito. The taste was sweeter/creamier than any west coast IPA i have had since Bear Republic's Apex. Reminded me of a less over the top version of FFF's apocalypse cow. It was extremely balanced and very very delicious. (741 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to unclejedi for bringing me down tis bottle, which was hads down one of the best, fruity IPA's I have ever had. Served cold and poured into a tall pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 12/29/2008.

The pour was very nice, rich dark amber in color with a light amount of cloudiness and haze. Rich looking with a nice head of about two inches in height and a nice fade into sticky side glass lacing.

The aroma was unreal. Rich fruity notes of peach and orange, hints of lemon and tangerine, so sweet and rich I was beside myself. Not the pungent bitter hops, the light, sweet, fruity notes that I loved. The flavor was more of the same, super sweet light orange and tangerine notes, hints of pineapple and light biscuit malts in the backround. Long sweet, and bitter,dry finish was superb as well. Smooth, mellow carbonation was done just right with an ease of drinkability that had me very impressed with every bit of the 8+ percent no where to be found.

Again one of the best big IPA's I have ever had. This was so well done and so well balanced and fresh I was just amazed. I have to look for this one again soon. (1,126 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The Tricerhops pours a cloudy light autumn orange with a solid 1-2 finger foam head. There was some intermittent lacing that left its mark.

The aroma is heaven for a hop head like myself. I could glean the lovely cascade smell with some real sweetness.

The taste was really smooth with not alot of bite but a lot of hop flavor. It was like drinking a DIPA ice cream cone. On the finish there was some dank bitterness that left a pleasant feeling in the mouth. Overall a wonderful effort by the Eugene brewers. I would drink this just about any day of the week. (562 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.2%

the malt and the hop flavors make this beer for me. I know that sounds stupid because what (besides yeast) the hell else would you be tasting bud? right? I know, however, a lot of IPAs I have had recently, now that they make up like 90% of the 22ozers at my liquor store :( , have been really bitter and really sweet which i guess = balanced, but i cound't for the life of me find another tasting note for them.
HOWEVER, this beer, this beer is bursting with both flavor and subtlety. malt flavor is rich but not over powering (2 row, munich and carahell) i dont know much about carahell and now i am interested. the hops bring bitterness, but alos complex tropical fruit aromas and spiciness.
this is an all around great IPA (726 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark straw yellow with a nice eggshell white medium head. Good cling and nice head retention. There is some carbonation activity after the poor.

S- Nice big hop aroma,pine and citrus notes present.

T- Nice hoppy flavor that is balanced perfectly. Good flavor combination of sweet malt and the citrus from the hops. Smooth start that finishes somewhat dry.

I orginally had this in Eugene while there for a Ducks game and thought it was kickass. So much so that I finally broke down and ordered a few bottles from Bottletrek. Beautiful flavor combinations that mask its strength. If this were available here this could definately be in my regular rotation. I have been throughly impressed with everything that Ninkasi has put out. In my dreams/future I am living in Oregon and buying and drinking this on a regular basis. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of my visit to Eugene more and buy way more of this than I did. I got caught up in trying as many beers as possible instead of sticking with what I liked the best. Can't wait to have this again. Excellent beer, great representative of an Imperial IPA. "If you have the means I highly recommend picking it up." (1,248 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle brought via Iowa (thanks Dan and Jean!), delicious: worthy of "double IPA" distinction. Stronger than IPA at 8.8 ABV and bitterness level, yet not syrupy, sweet, or indigestible like a barleywine. Malty yet dry. A real clone-worthy beer. Aroma good, but a bit more hops would have been nice, but not unexpected from a bottle. Must get more. (347 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks a bunch SatlyMalty! Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch white head that doesn't retain long before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and random tufts of surface foam. Splotchy lacing.

S- Effervescent hop aroma that's citrusy and grassy. Notes of grapefruit, pine and some astringency from the alcohol

T- The hops sink their teeth in and then let go like they were almost never there. The bitterness is so abrupt but subtle. There's a splash of tropical fruit flavor like grapefruit, orange zest and lemon but it all quickly recedes leaving a dry finish with a modest lingering bite. Alcohol is nicely subdued.

M- Oily and crisp with medium carbonation and an average body.

O- I rarely find an IPA that can be this hoppy yet still be so balanced and restrained. Definitely the best I've had from Ninkasi thus far. (920 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Hazy golden orange. Silky & sticky lacing

S: Grapefruit rind, orange blossoms, and a generous dose of crystal malt.

T: Juicy, fresh squeezed oranges, an uplifting amount of bitterness, and a healthy dollop of toffeeish caramel malt

M: Velvety smooth. It really keeps the 100+ IBU's in check and creates a nice experience.

D: A very nice offering. (353 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap for only two bucks he'll yes!

Look is a beautiful copper orange thin white head

Smell strong grapefruit sweet pine overall one of the best smelling dipa I have ever had

Taste is superb strong malt sweet hop ibis coming through pine citrus

Mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had real thick but not trying to be sludge just great

Overall one of my fav nw beers out there (385 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured all cellar temperature-like into my tulip. About time, really.

The first thing you need to know is that this is a very pretty IPA. I mean seriously pretty. Radiant orange, rocky, long-lasting, just off-white head, and glamorous lacing. A real looker.

It smells of fragrant pine, hops of the dank, herbal variety I swear I get a little basil and oregano, but I WAS making pizza sauce a half-hour ago), and orange. Bit of honey. A zesty aroma. Yes, that's the word.

Oh, okay. so that's how it is. The flavor just somewhat exploded on my palate. I wasn't quite prepared for that. This tastes like the result of squeezing fresh oranges, lemons, and grapefruit, and then mixing that citrus juice with pure pine needle extract. It's the bread and butter of IPAs: citrus and pine, but turned up to an extravagant level. Not to mention the lovely bready finish with a lingering balance of astringency and malts.

Love the feel. It's got substance, and substantial carbonation, but at the same time a certain softness.

An wonderful example of an ale that proves you don't need a bunch of ridiculously nuanced complexities to be great (don't get me wrong - I like complexity, too). But this is just unabashed, unashamed, IPA deliverance. And it wooks pwerty. :B (1,263 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: dark orange in color with a merangue like thick head that slowly falls to a spotty foam. Thick lace paints the glass.

Smell: loads of pine, grapefruit, and earthy hop presence dominates the aroma.

Taste: big caramel flavor with an great balance of pine, grapefruit, biscuit, pears, and a bold bitterness that does not go over the top like some in the style.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness late.

Overall: this was a super fresh DIPA that was so well balanced I had to have two in the session. Refreshing and totally satisfying, I returned to the same bar to have it two nights in a row. (641 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Nonic. Tasted several times from various taps in the Portland area.

This is basically an amped up version of Total Domination. More hops, more alcohol, more body, more more more!!! (Do I feel a Billy Idol song coming on?)

A - Typical yet quality IPA appearance, good straw-gold hue with some haze, a nice head and decently persistent lace.

S - Richly aromatic with lots of fresh hops and spice, some hints of citrus and pine.

T - Lots more of the citrus, hops, and spice.

M - Here is where this beer really differs from Total Domination. This is massive, structured, and intense with a soft character to the tannins that prevent this from being way too astringent.

D - It just calls you back for more. This is such a massive IPA, yet balanced and complex. The texture and alcohol are so perfectly matched that it doesn't seem to be over 8%. (875 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

Well, I'll forgive the misspelling of "Tricerahops" for such a fine beer; enjoyed this pint at Henry's Tavern, 9/7/2007.

A: Pours a hazy, amber/orange with a 1/4 " cap of creamy head; light soap bubbles and a thin film of frosty cream as it settles. Slow carbonation rising sporadically. Modest lace in thin bands.

S: Big aroma of fresh hop cones; purely citrus and pine. It's nothing intricate, just bold and full, with an ample dose of caramel malt.

T: Oh, wow. Superb balance; it's understandable why this won the Concordia Cup recently as favorite DIPA. Outstanding balance, I was very impressed by the melding of sweet/sugary and chewy caramel malt with a burst of citrus. Bitter bite is minimal in the end, coming off as gently pithy but pleasingly floral and herbal.

M: Silky, medium-full mouthfeel. Nothing syrupy/heavy, just a smooth an balanced feel that expertly masks that nearly 10% alcohol heat.

D: One of the most drinkable DIPAs I've enjoyed. Quite well-balanced, with malt and caramel flavors mashing up beautifully with orange/citrus hoppiness.
This may be my new favorite of the ubiquitous NW IPAs - a treasure worth seeking out! (1,155 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. The foam overtook the top of the glass, settled nicely and I finished the pour.

A - Beautiful perfectly clear dark amber appearance, foamy bronze head that persisted for quite a while.

S - The citricy smell was noticeable as soon as I popped the cap and only got better as I filled the glass. Smelled of grapefruit.

T - More grapefruit - and hops. Lots of hops and more hops.

M - The beer feels very pleasant in the mouth and the aftertaste is very pleasant.

D - The only thing preventing me from having another is the alcohol content.

For a hophead like myself, I feel I have died and gone to Heaven. Ninkasi the goddess would be pleased. (688 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

L: Pours hazy gold to amber under a 2” clingy white head with a fine bead.
S: Resiny piney hops, biscuit, light fruit on the nose
T: Starts creamy and has a little malt sweetness and some pear, slight orange. Long lingering bitterness with a biscuity, fruity sweetness – almost like a jam or marmalade.
F: very creamy and smooth, medium to medium full body, medium carbonation, slight warming.
O: A big well balanced beer. (430 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

I lived in Portland, OR for the last couple years and Ninkasi was available just about everywhere you look (God, I miss Portland). Their "Total Domination IPA" was one of my go to beers and is one of the best in its price range. The "Tricerahops Double IPA" is a delicious step up from its tasty nephew. A bit more pricey, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying my fare share of this scrumptious brew.
Now, I am not up on beer terminology (despite being an avid craft beer consumer) so forgive me if my description is "unconventional". I'll also have you know that I am heavily biased toward IPAs and the double/imperial IPAs in particular.
I have had the Tricerahops many-a-time in the bottle and have been lucky enough to discover it on tap on at least one occasion. The Tricerahops has a light-ish amber color and somewhat of a flowery aroma. In terms of taste, it really packs a nice punch. It delivers a lot "on the front end" as I like to say. It has a nice, crisp hoppy attack. It has a lot of treble and mid-range flavor. However, it doesn't really have much of that bass-y complexity that comes out about mid-taste with some other double IPAs (the Hercules Double from Great Divide for example, mmm). That being said, I don't think that bassy flavor was intended with this beer. It is more of a zippy, refreshing, deliciously hoppy (and high gravity) treat to enjoy when you are out on the patio in the summer or autumn.

Bottom line, if you like IPAs, you will love the Tricerahops. Also, if you haven't really experienced the Ninkasi Brewing company (I have not seen it outside the west coast, unfortunately) I would recommend seeking them out. I have not been disappointed by anything I have tried from them.
Cheers! (1,739 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Pour: Hazy golden-amber color with two and a half fingers of slightly off-white head that retained very well and left all sorts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can smell this beer before I even hold it up to my nose! Aromas of citrus and piney hops, pale malt, fruity esters, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: The tip of the tongue starts off with a sour, acidic lemon punch which gives way into a lovely sweet syrup and pale malt flavor and a small bready flavor. The middle of the palate picks up a light fruity flavor, and the back end finishes up with a nice wallop of bitter piney and grapefruit hops. Alcohol very well disguised, but it's a bit warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, rich, slightly creamy, and medium carbonation. Coats the mouth with a nice thick layer of hop oils.

Drinkability: Extremely high for 8.8% ABV. A lovely sipping beer. Leaves you wanting another sip each time, and goes down extremely well. Not overly filling.

Final Notes: It doesn't actually taste as bitter as the IBUs would let on. Extremely well-balanced and drinkable, and an absolute must to pair against spicy food. If you're a hop lover, check it out. (1,158 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Grabbed a ton of bombers at Belmont Station over here of this.. one to try, and others to trade as it doesn't get out much :-)

- Perfect light amber/copper color and slightly cloudy as I would expect from an 'A' IIPA. (Just reviewed Leafer Madness before this bomber). Much the same,

- Sweet pungent hop aroma with dark and rich caramel malts.. really smells like something that can be drank like water. Slight roasted notes there as well... along w/ some honey.

- Ok here we go... Oh... mm... smooth hop 'n honey syrup.. taste is there, and is fantastic. Hardly a taste of alcohol until it hits the throat and gut. Wow... fantastic.

- Not overly bubbly which I really like... smooth, not dry.. not bitter, not sour.. just balanced so well the mouthfeel is a 'give me more' feel.. maybe a tad chewy, but needed.

- Way too drinkable.. I told myself I would stip after this one... we'll see!!

Get it if you can!

** Edit.. this is the west coast style Hopslam for sure (972 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

A - dark orange with a soft, off white, foamy cap of head

S - grapefruit, mango, some pineapple, faint bread

T - orange, grapefruit, mango, mild pine, mild bitterness

M - medium bodied, smooth, perfectly carbonated

This is a very nice, citrusy, full flavored, hoppy beer. This is simply delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed this one from beginning to end. I will definitely have it again. (387 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a straight side pint glass (this review from notes taken 8/2/11).

A - Poured a tawny amber orange, with 1/2-finger off off-white medium-to-large bubble head. Great retnention, moderate lacing. Shines bright orange in the light.

S - Lemony/orangey citrus hop, with a little bit of herbiness. Hints of apple, bit of honey, and lavender.

T - Well-balanced citrus/pine hop with orange and caramel sweetness, followed by mild bitterness and notes of sage. Herby and buttery finish.

M - Creamy texture, medium body. Light carbonation tingles the tongue. A bit of warmth with biting bitterness at the back and sides of the tongue.

D - A very good beer. Great citrus/herb hop flavor, and not too bitter. Very pleasant and refreshing, though dry enough to leave you wanting more.

I'm a big fan of Tricerahops. (839 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours mid to dark gold with a healthy head. The nose is pretty pungent hops. This is one tasty DIPA with a serious hop taste but a smooth finish. Very well constructed and way to easy to drink at that ABV. I need to find more of these bad boys next time I am in Portland (270 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

had this one on tap while visiting family in seattle

appearance- deep golden to reddish color strong head that left lacing as it faded.

smell- a very citrusy fruity hop aroma

taste- it had this amazing citrus flavor to it kind of a passion fruit thing going on. really one of the best tasting IPAs i have had

Mouthfeel- each sip left me wanting more my mouth practically craved more

Drinkability- very drinkable beer I wish it was in MA (441 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%

This is a pretty solid Imperial IPA, and ranks among the best.

Our group just called Ninkasi and asked what hops they use. Search for "what hops are in tricerahops" or check out the following link:

http://www.kswbeer.com/2011/05/what-hops-are-in-tricerahops.html (264 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an outstanding entry from Ninkasi, a strong double IPA with outstanding characteristics. Pours in a medium amber with a frothy white head about a finger wide.

The smell is strong and hoppy, a floral character. Little to no sweetness on the nose.

A distinctive IPA taste, with strong hops and a bitterness that lasts into the throat. The mouthfeel is great, but it might be a little too carbonated.

All in all, a stellar beer. (438 characters)

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company