Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007)

I have been a beer fan for 50+ years and this one has blown me away. Exceptional flavor and after taste. I wish the beer was less damaging so I could drink more but two is absolutely all I can handle. The wife works for the distributor so I get a break on cost. I just love this beer

cubancigar2000, Aug 21, 2010

Bigmatty42, Oct 29, 2012

BeerArchivist, Nov 18, 2011

Pete27lax, Jun 09, 2014

Theaxeman, Jul 23, 2014

22oz bomber split into tulip

A. Glowing golden Orange with good clarity. 2 finger head in the form of thousands of perfectly round tiny bubbles of carbonation bonded in tight cohesion.

S. Citrus, pine, grapefruit and grassy freshness, a lot of aroma hops have been used in this one.

T. Great dry citrus hops hit first, mild malt subdue slightly, but the hops sure stand on their own and take center stage. 8.8% abv is amazingly hidden in this wonderful earthy and refreshing Dipa.

M. Crisp, clean, but hop munchyness and flavors coat the mouth and leave a remarkably nice flavor on the palate.

O. Awesome DIPA, I can't really find one bad thing to say about it. This would be one of my go to dipa's if it was available in my area.

Centennial, Nov 08, 2011

Of course, my current favourite beer of all time - a double IPA - is only sold in select places 50km from my house, so I can't enjoy it as much as I'd like. Sigh.

Tricerahops is truly a wonder to behold. A glorious ornage/golden cloudy colour, enough hops to make your head spin, but with subtle fruity undertones (but not too fruity) makes this an exception hop-bomb you can enjoy. I first tried this beer on tap at the Great Canadian Beer Festival in Victoria, BC - and ever since, I've loved this beer and nearly anything I've tried from Ninkasi Brewing.

I simply must find a way to get more of this one. At 8.8% ABV and a ridiculous amount of IBUs, you may initially pay a premium for the beer's deliciosity but it's a slow drinker so it will last a while - but it's really easy to down as well, despite its alcohol content, so be forwarned.

I have one sitting in my fridge waiting for a special occasion (Christmas or New Years, at this point) but I am desperately looking for more of this one.

I don't have a problem...I just absolutely adore this beer. This is the first beer I've ever given a 5.0 rating to across the board, and I stand by it 100%.

timtwoface, Nov 28, 2011

dluk, Jun 29, 2014

I2uss, Nov 18, 2011

Kenai4, Feb 05, 2012

Nhogan88, Aug 30, 2014

costello99, Jul 17, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +22.3%

I don't even know what to say, this is so good. I can't get this anywhere close to where I am, but my friend Mike brought a bomber back just recently. If I had to design an IPA, this would be exactly as it would be. Pours like they all do, but who cares, it's dark orange inviting, and more yellow that rust and tannic. Head, who cares! Smells yummy piney, floral and citrus hops, really makes me want to shove my head in the glass, good. If I could only 'jam on' my olfactory centers to continually perceive the hops: That good! Taste is clean malt, then citrus rind and more pine, and a hop echo that really can't be beat. This stuff has terrific after effects and outstanding balance. Mouthfeel is really good for a DIPA, and the alcohol lower, which I like, and the carbonation is moderate-low and fine and not overly syrupy in the delivery. If I were stinking wealthy, I'd hire a courier to bring this to my door. I'd have one every day. Astonishing.

Bitter_Echo, Nov 22, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into a chilled mug on 6/30/10.

Coppery-orange & slightly clouded, with a generous, creamy head with staying power, leaving substantial lacing & no doubt it was there.

As soon as the cap was popped, the bouquet jumped out! This is the first beer I can really say smelled "floral". Grapefruit, too, in nice measure. Massive hops, just like you'd expect in a DIPA, with a nice bite. Just like it says on the bottle: "Fiercely flavorful."

Chewy in the mouth, with a decent tingle-factor. Great carbonation. Fairly begs to be paired with something spicy.

All around great beer!

velmalikevelvet, Jul 01, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Clutch5, Oct 11, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

Before I start off I should say that I love this beer. The malt is malty the hops are hoppy and it fits like a puzzle piece on my palate.

A) Foamy head with a hazy body. To me it seems a tad to dark for the style but thats just me being nit picky... just a tiny little bit tad

S) Hops, like hops in a bag from the lhbs packed and crisp BUT I should mention not what soever is the smell even close to the perfect heavenly smell that ipas can have...

T) this is one of those beers you have to taste to really understand. It's a perfect example of a real IPA. The hops aren't highly on center stage with the malty flavor filling all the gaps

M) the mouth feel is as expected from something almost perfect. It's not to thin not to thick its just about right

O) I love this beer though I know that out in that wide beautiful world is an IPA that really truly showcases brewing at its finest this may not be it though its pretty damn close...

runjack, Jan 01, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Solid medium amber with some floatees , foamy tan head of average retention.

S: Very piney then a little grassy & woody, possibly a little grapefruit way in the back. Totally not the hop aroma of midwest DIPA.

T: Unbelieveably sophisticated. The big ibu's and abv's totally masked. The flavor starts as a tart grapefruit, a little caramel, the flavor notes just balance together.

D: You could definately get three sheets to the wind in a hurry and never realize what happend. Most subtle of the DIPA's I've had this season. But a real adult beverage in the dryness and totally unique flavors. Wish I could get on a regular basis, and I'd kill to have on tap.

2BDChicago, Feb 18, 2011

ste5venla, Aug 11, 2013

DeekNayvuz, Jan 12, 2013

JakeH3K, Dec 02, 2012

Pugs78, Feb 04, 2013

DrMindbender, Jul 18, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

22 oz bomber poured into a glass chalice. Bottle says 8.8% ABV. Tricerahops poured out a hazy soft amber with a big, silken white head.

This is probably the sweetest, freshest smelling hop perfume I have ever experienced. Wow. This aroma is unreal.

Taste is just as pleasurable as the aroma. Tons of hops flavor, nice level of bitterness, a hop lover's dream. But at the same time, it's very well balanced, with an almost honey-like sweetness. The alcohol can't be detected at all...very well hidden. This is a big beer that doesn't feel like a big beer.

Super drinkable...it tempting not to just quaff this down. Mouthfeel is very creamy with medium viscosity.

Another Ninkasi beer lives up to and exceeds the hype. This IPA is ridiculous. Seek it out.

1whiskey, Apr 14, 2008