Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 413 | Hads: 1,530
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

L: Pours hazy gold to amber under a 2” clingy white head with a fine bead.
S: Resiny piney hops, biscuit, light fruit on the nose
T: Starts creamy and has a little malt sweetness and some pear, slight orange. Long lingering bitterness with a biscuity, fruity sweetness – almost like a jam or marmalade.
F: very creamy and smooth, medium to medium full body, medium carbonation, slight warming.
O: A big well balanced beer. (430 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

I lived in Portland, OR for the last couple years and Ninkasi was available just about everywhere you look (God, I miss Portland). Their "Total Domination IPA" was one of my go to beers and is one of the best in its price range. The "Tricerahops Double IPA" is a delicious step up from its tasty nephew. A bit more pricey, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying my fare share of this scrumptious brew.
Now, I am not up on beer terminology (despite being an avid craft beer consumer) so forgive me if my description is "unconventional". I'll also have you know that I am heavily biased toward IPAs and the double/imperial IPAs in particular.
I have had the Tricerahops many-a-time in the bottle and have been lucky enough to discover it on tap on at least one occasion. The Tricerahops has a light-ish amber color and somewhat of a flowery aroma. In terms of taste, it really packs a nice punch. It delivers a lot "on the front end" as I like to say. It has a nice, crisp hoppy attack. It has a lot of treble and mid-range flavor. However, it doesn't really have much of that bass-y complexity that comes out about mid-taste with some other double IPAs (the Hercules Double from Great Divide for example, mmm). That being said, I don't think that bassy flavor was intended with this beer. It is more of a zippy, refreshing, deliciously hoppy (and high gravity) treat to enjoy when you are out on the patio in the summer or autumn.

Bottom line, if you like IPAs, you will love the Tricerahops. Also, if you haven't really experienced the Ninkasi Brewing company (I have not seen it outside the west coast, unfortunately) I would recommend seeking them out. I have not been disappointed by anything I have tried from them.
Cheers! (1,739 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Pour: Hazy golden-amber color with two and a half fingers of slightly off-white head that retained very well and left all sorts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can smell this beer before I even hold it up to my nose! Aromas of citrus and piney hops, pale malt, fruity esters, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: The tip of the tongue starts off with a sour, acidic lemon punch which gives way into a lovely sweet syrup and pale malt flavor and a small bready flavor. The middle of the palate picks up a light fruity flavor, and the back end finishes up with a nice wallop of bitter piney and grapefruit hops. Alcohol very well disguised, but it's a bit warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, rich, slightly creamy, and medium carbonation. Coats the mouth with a nice thick layer of hop oils.

Drinkability: Extremely high for 8.8% ABV. A lovely sipping beer. Leaves you wanting another sip each time, and goes down extremely well. Not overly filling.

Final Notes: It doesn't actually taste as bitter as the IBUs would let on. Extremely well-balanced and drinkable, and an absolute must to pair against spicy food. If you're a hop lover, check it out. (1,158 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Grabbed a ton of bombers at Belmont Station over here of this.. one to try, and others to trade as it doesn't get out much :-)

- Perfect light amber/copper color and slightly cloudy as I would expect from an 'A' IIPA. (Just reviewed Leafer Madness before this bomber). Much the same,

- Sweet pungent hop aroma with dark and rich caramel malts.. really smells like something that can be drank like water. Slight roasted notes there as well... along w/ some honey.

- Ok here we go... Oh... mm... smooth hop 'n honey syrup.. taste is there, and is fantastic. Hardly a taste of alcohol until it hits the throat and gut. Wow... fantastic.

- Not overly bubbly which I really like... smooth, not dry.. not bitter, not sour.. just balanced so well the mouthfeel is a 'give me more' feel.. maybe a tad chewy, but needed.

- Way too drinkable.. I told myself I would stip after this one... we'll see!!

Get it if you can!

** Edit.. this is the west coast style Hopslam for sure (972 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

A - dark orange with a soft, off white, foamy cap of head

S - grapefruit, mango, some pineapple, faint bread

T - orange, grapefruit, mango, mild pine, mild bitterness

M - medium bodied, smooth, perfectly carbonated

This is a very nice, citrusy, full flavored, hoppy beer. This is simply delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed this one from beginning to end. I will definitely have it again. (387 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a straight side pint glass (this review from notes taken 8/2/11).

A - Poured a tawny amber orange, with 1/2-finger off off-white medium-to-large bubble head. Great retnention, moderate lacing. Shines bright orange in the light.

S - Lemony/orangey citrus hop, with a little bit of herbiness. Hints of apple, bit of honey, and lavender.

T - Well-balanced citrus/pine hop with orange and caramel sweetness, followed by mild bitterness and notes of sage. Herby and buttery finish.

M - Creamy texture, medium body. Light carbonation tingles the tongue. A bit of warmth with biting bitterness at the back and sides of the tongue.

D - A very good beer. Great citrus/herb hop flavor, and not too bitter. Very pleasant and refreshing, though dry enough to leave you wanting more.

I'm a big fan of Tricerahops. (839 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours mid to dark gold with a healthy head. The nose is pretty pungent hops. This is one tasty DIPA with a serious hop taste but a smooth finish. Very well constructed and way to easy to drink at that ABV. I need to find more of these bad boys next time I am in Portland (270 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

had this one on tap while visiting family in seattle

appearance- deep golden to reddish color strong head that left lacing as it faded.

smell- a very citrusy fruity hop aroma

taste- it had this amazing citrus flavor to it kind of a passion fruit thing going on. really one of the best tasting IPAs i have had

Mouthfeel- each sip left me wanting more my mouth practically craved more

Drinkability- very drinkable beer I wish it was in MA (441 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%

This is a pretty solid Imperial IPA, and ranks among the best.

Our group just called Ninkasi and asked what hops they use. Search for "what hops are in tricerahops" or check out the following link:

http://www.kswbeer.com/2011/05/what-hops-are-in-tricerahops.html (264 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an outstanding entry from Ninkasi, a strong double IPA with outstanding characteristics. Pours in a medium amber with a frothy white head about a finger wide.

The smell is strong and hoppy, a floral character. Little to no sweetness on the nose.

A distinctive IPA taste, with strong hops and a bitterness that lasts into the throat. The mouthfeel is great, but it might be a little too carbonated.

All in all, a stellar beer. (438 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%

When at the Concordia Ale House, found out that this beer was the best Double IPA out of 10 competitors in the Concordia Cup. I had to try one for myself.

The Tricerahops came out hazy, golden orange with a white moderate head that left a decent amount of lacing as I drank it.

Despite not much of a head, the aromas wafted powerfully out of the glass the whole time I drank it. You know how it's hard to smell some beers when you get all the way down and have just a little bit a the bottom? Not so with this one. Pine, citrus and floral hops all mingle and assault my nostrils. Very complex. Sweet smelling, as well. I'm not sure if it's a little of the malts coming through, or just the nectar citrus/floral hop smells.

I was a little surprised with how cold it came out. I was expecting it to be served a little warmer. Even so, the taste was also excellent. A huge surprise was the difference of taste from the nose. Taste was much more earthy than I expected. The citrus and pine hops were still stong, but definitely got a bit of a dust/earth taste that I'd expect from the hops used in a porter or stout. Very interesting. The malts are mild, not as sweet as some other DIPAs I've tried. I didn't notice much alcohol flavor, or smell, but it also doesn't seem like it should be too hard to hide with the overpowering hops.

Mouthfeel was about medium body, not as thick as some DIPAs, with a long finish. I also noted the dry finish, which complimented the earthy flavors.

Overall, an excellent, very interesting beer. I hope I make it back soon enough to try this beer again. (1,599 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear light marigold color with a decent head and minimal lacing after it settled.

Smell of strong grapefruit, citrus, sweet malt, and pineapple and pine needles. Aroma is great on this brew.

Taste of strong grapefruit, citrus, strong flavor of caramelized sugars, pale malt, some residual sweetness and not dried out as some other fantastic examples of DIPA's taste to me. I personally like the slightly wet / sweet flavors of a beer that has some residual sugars left from fermentation. One thing I did notice in the bottom of this beer was a decent amount of yeast that seemed to be not excessive, but more than I see in most bottled DIPAs.

Thick for the style but delicious and very drinkable. (709 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint tasting glass.
A= Fresh nice looking DIPA, pours orange to amber, head is off white, lasts, and lacing remains.
S= Earthy, piney, and spicy hops, some sweet malt.
T= Sweet malt, maybe honey, lots of citrus and pine hops. Finish is all malt and bread.
M= Full with correct carbonation.
O= Tasty double IPA, balanced with malt, bitterness, and hop flavors. Pine and mixed citrus. (423 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Wow! Deep, honey colored, slightly opaque, glowing, with a smallish white head that fades to a white bubbly haze on the surface. The smell is all hops. It doesn't come off as a complex smell at first, but after repeated huffing a myriad of aromas becomes apparent: fruity, citrus, pine hops lifted my spirits! Fruit and honey malt starts to come through, and I get really excited to have a drink. I am not disappointed. Herbal, floral, and pine hops are right up front, with a bit of sweet malt in the middle. It finishes crisp, with a slightly bitter pine hop edge. Medium bodied, with good interplay between the carbonation and the hop crispness. Dry but smooth. Very, very easy drinking for a DIPA! (701 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

A nice offering from Ninkasi. A double IPA with sharp hop bitterness on the beginning, smoothed over by rich fruit apricot flavors. The bitterness continues to linger and reminds me of the initial sharpness. I hope this one will stay in my nose for a while to remind me of its hoppy goodness.

Appearance - golden amber color, rich

Smell - fruity and sharp with hops

Taste - sharp bitterness to begin, smooth fruit middle, bitterness linger and linger and linger. :)

Mouthfeel - light carbonation makes this an easy drinker. 8.8% abv says go easy.

Overall - one of my favorites. (584 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Pours hazy gold orange color with a 2 finger foamy/creamy beige head that faded slowly and left foamy good lacing as it went down, leaving a ring around the top.

Smells of oranges, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, citrus hops, caramel, biscuit, sweet malt, and floral hops; pretty much all citrus in the nose, with some herbs, grains and piney notes adding balance, but boy was this nice to inhale and what I had hoped for with those Pacific Northwest hops in play.

Tastes like it smells, only better, with juicy oranges, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, citrus hops, guava, caramel, malt, brown sugar, piney hops, lightly roasted grains, tea leaf, herbs, floral hops, flowers like a rose petal, wet wheat bread and some boozy sweetness that seems like a wet hop was dropped in the glass for good measure. Considering how hoppy this is, the bitterness is mild and the malts/grains add nice balance and make this very easy to drink, hiding the ABV with juicy fruit and herbals notes. The spices don’t play any role in the flavor palate, which surprised me, but I still really dig this flavor.

Mouthfeel is creamy, slick and very smooth, with mild carbonation, a medium body that’s almost chewy and slightly bitter finish that’s full of sweet citrus fruit and goes down easy. This was freakin’ easy to drink, and I downed the bomber faster than I should have because it was so tasty.

After being disappointed by the Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale, Ninkasi exceeded my expectations with this DIPA, which was easy to drink and extremely flavorful. I suggest East Coast hopheads go to ‘Let’s Pour’ and order some as this was a very tasty brew. (1,661 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

I bought a b22 oz bottle of Tricerahops in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a bright gold color and is slightly hazy. Frothy white head caps the beer, and leaves a little lace on the glass.

Smell is very sweet and fruity. There is a strong citrus aroma along with a pine scent.

Taste is a malt flavor up front, sweet bread and caramel, with a sweet citrus, pink grapefruit flavor, followed by a mild bitter pine finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, light for the style, with a fairly clean finish.

Overall a very drinkable DIPA. (559 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

A: Pours a golden, amber orange in color with a nice inch thick, creamy head that lasts for a long time and leaves lacing around the glass. Carbonation levels look good.

S: The malts in this one are actually quite prominent; a nice mixture of citrus hops, barley and toasty, breaded malts. Maybe a little spice, and a hint of pine.

T: Follows the nose well. Quite balanced for a double IPA. Bitter, citrus hops and toasty, breaded malts blend together pretty well up front, followed by a bittering hop flavor and finishing crisp and dry with a lingering citrus hop character. I'm a sucker for a good citrusy IPA and this one hit the spot.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation, a bit of oil, a good amount of substance and a bit of chewiness. This one goes down smooth and easy and remains very drinkable for a double IPA at higher ABV levels.

O: Very pleasantly surprised by this one. I expected more of a hop bomb, but this was actually very balanced and quite flavorful. It is on the heavier side substance wise, but it's still very drinkable and actually even a bit refreshing. I was pleased to find plenty of citrus hops instead of the pine variety and I will definitely be checking out other beers from this brewery, this being my introductory brew. Picked this up on a whim and glad I did! Cheers! (1,310 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Bottle thanks to onix1agr. Good look on the splits.

A- a finger or so of egg shell colored head that settles quickly leaving a few spots of stick and a solid ring. Hazy sunset orange in color.

S- massive hops in the face. Mangos, pineapples, apricot nectar, oranges. Lite honey like sweetness and a bit of toast.

T- loads of juicy fruity hops. Tropical and citrus fruit galore. Mangos and grapefruit taking the lead with some tangerine and pineapple as well. Hint of conifers but not much. Mild sweetness that brings out the hops beautifully. Honey and turbinado sugar come to mind. Slightly biscuity malts in the back.

M- medium body with a nice mid level carb that leaves the brew on he palate a but letting you really get into it. Not a bit of heat from his 8.8 abv dipa.

D- I'm love this beer one of the best and most drinkable brews of the style. My first from this brewery but this will not be my last. (918 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Big thanks goes out to Pullen for this as an extra in an in-person trade quite awhile back! Served from bottle into a Delerium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy red-orange with a one finger off-white head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and citrus hops. The flavor was of sweet malt and citrus hops as well. It had a medium feel on the palate with low-mid carbonation. Overall this brew is quite excellently balanced. Have a very nice aroma and flavor going on here. Probably one of top IIPA's that I've had. Massive thanks again John for this one! (603 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: golden ale, clear; coupla fingers of ivory head left laces down the glass

S: chewy biscuit malts drenched with honey, powerful citrus and pine medley, floral and resinous at the same time

T: sweet caramel malts and fresh, chewy grains underscoring a massive hop profile that is both pithy and resinous at the same time - dank, but with bright citric pith-points

M: medium-weight and soft on the tongue, bittering subtly throughout; smooth, great aftertaste

O: worthy of its ratings and rank - delicious and potent, full of bitterness, fresh grain malts and moderate sugars - top-notch DIPA that drinks like s DIPA but without being too heavy or strong. Get some. (669 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, somewhere between dark gold and honey amber with a tinge of copper. A nice thick head sticks around for a little while and leaves moderate lacing.

S - Very grassy aroma from the hops, with a hint of lemon. Malt is subdued.

T - Strong and clean hop bitterness balanced by caramel malts. Grassiness and is less pronounced than in the aroma, but still present.

M - Smooth and creamy from lots of malt, followed by mouth-drying bitterness that lingers nicely.

D - This is how a double IPA should taste. Goes down easy and comes on strong. An all-around excellent beer. (595 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Murky amber/unfiltered apple cider. Near white head leaves and chunky clumps and lots of webbed lace remains.

S - Pine and citrus dominate. Some of that pot/cat pee smell.

T - Big caramel center surrounded by equally big hops.

M - Medium to full, nice balance between sweet and bitter. Lush beer.

D - Pretty good for how big and full flavored it is. (358 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Had a nonic on draught at the Beer Stein in Eugene, Ticerhops poured a cloudy light rust color with a thin, off-white collar and surface skim, leaving light lace.

The aroma is very strong hops, all pine, with a touch of alcohol as it warms.

The taste is fantastic, more complex the then nose, and remarkably balanced in spite of the extreme hops and high ABV. Still all about the piney, earthy hops, but tempered with a nice english ale yeast fruitiness and enough pale and crystal malts to give it backbone without making it to sweet or heavy. Very smooth, with a firm, bitter finish. I can see why this won the cup, it's very well crafted.

The mouthfeel is oily yet has a moderate amount of creamy carbonation. It's medium bodied.

This is a very tasty IPA, so smooth and easy drinking, you can really get into trouble if you loose track of the ABV, which is barely noticeable. (894 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz. bottle purchased at the SLO BevMo (thanks RJ!) last week.

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: A short, off-white, frothy cap forms following the pour. Retention ain't great; decays to a bubbly halo within thirty seconds. Body is hazy and amber, and I see a ton of suspended sediment when the beer is held to light. Looks nasty! (<- Good nasty) Stringy/spotty lacing all the way down. I dig.

Smell: Pineapple, candied orange, pizza dough, honey, and pine resin. Caramel is also quite apparent. Lots of sugary sweetness. Smells very nice, though it's not what I'd expect from an imperial IPA. Smells kinda like an English barley wine (definitely not a bad thing).

Taste: Toasted bread, pine, and earth form a solid base; but it's the juicy pineapple, mandarin orange, grapefruit, lime, and other tropical fruits that really define the flavor profile. White wine-like esters peek through at the end of each sip. Fantastic balance! A little more bitterness might be nice, but I'm plowin' right through this right now (and I really needed a good beer - it's been a very rough day).

Mouthfeel: Oily, gritty, malty, and sticky. Pretty full in body, and not a whole lot of dryness in the finish. Not a whole lot of bitterness either. All in all, pretty easy-going. I actually wish it was harsher.

Drinkability: This disappeared so quick! And I drank the entire bomber to myself too! A very easy-drinking imperial IPA. Highly recommended. (1,454 characters)

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company