Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 427 | Hads: 1,591
2.81/5  rDev -29.9%

Imbibed on tap at Harry's Hofbrau on 2/19/12.

Poured a dark gold, clear, metallic and shiny. Great head retention, though not much lacing. Very citrusy hops dominate the nose and not much else. Some malt is discernible though it's very light. Light in mouthfeel, bitter but not too bitter. Very lemony and citrusy. Spritzy and carbonated. Although this is light in taste, the MF is full bodied. It's weird to describe, just trust me. It confuses the palate/mind.

I was confused about this beer, mainly because I wasn't sure if it was full bodied or light. The flavors were very strong, but still not very dominating over the palate. I feel like this should get off the fence and either be a West Coast hop bomb or not. That said, I'd like to try this again on its own. I feel like my palate and expectations were compromised before drinking this beer.

2.84/5  rDev -29.2%

Doopie broke this one open last week for random night. Cheers man!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium-thinner looking, off-white, fluffy head with good retention. Gamboge orange in color, slightly hazy, with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a splotchy wisp leaving lace coating the sides of the glass. A wisp remains until the end and leaves some nice lacing all the way down.

SMELL: Pale malts, pine notes, and some soapy aromas. Lots of flowery hops are nice, but the soapy hop notes aren't really all that appealing.

TASTE: Pale malts, toffee notes, with lots of flowery hops and some citrus flavors as well. Much more citrus than the nose had suggested, and the soapy notes, while present, are not nearly as forthcoming. Better. A bolder and lingering aftertaste of bitter hops, flower notes, and mild citrus notes.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Somewhat light on the palate, creamy smooth, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Pretty solid here.

OVERALL: No better than alright. The nose was certainly not my cup of tea, as I’m not a huge fan of whatever hop produces that soapy quality, but luckily that hop was more mild in the flavor letting some enjoyable flower and citrus hop flavor come through. A decent brew, but not something that needs any special attention. Thanks again for sharing Doops.

2.92/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance is a clear copper-goldish, light carbonation (a tad lighter than typical for the style), served with little to no head.

Not much head retention, near to no lacing.

Flavor is certainly not bad, but I did not rate high seeing as they market this as a "double IPA" and therefore I expect much; this came in at a normal IPA range for IBU's and gravity, at least taste and mouthfeel wise.

Aroma is certainly this guy's thing; much dry hopping for great complexity and inviting sniffs.

Not so drinkable, this is one that wares on you half way through and you are looking towards the next beer in a more favorable genre; could definitely use a better balance of malt.

2.96/5  rDev -26.2%

Medium head that launched floral hops fragrance into the stratosphere.

Nose of fragrant valley hops. The brew itself does not retain the sweet hoppiness, and blasts more of a bitter deep malty flavor. The aftertaste is on the bitter side of bitter.

A spike of the 8.8 abv pierces the the tongue. Complex flavor, but not a good IPA.
A bitters freak might enjoy this, but not me.

I will not purchase this brew again.

2.97/5  rDev -25.9%

Burnt orange snow globe. I'm guessing yeast particulates float around the medium size bubbles.

Grapefruit, peach, yeast when it warms. Under-ripe orange with rind on the back

Thicker and more yeast on the back of my throat than is normal for an DIPA or I like from one.

Not into it. Why so much yeast. Why boast hops when they aren't complex, well rounded, or that forward in the nose or flavor. Yet it isn't malty enough to imagine they are hiding.

2.99/5  rDev -25.4%

Big disappointment. I tried this beer on tap at this year's DIPA Festival at The Bistro and was surprised to find it wanting. Optimistically, I didn't review it, hoping that the sampler didn't do it justice. I have a fresh bottle, now, and can honestly say this does not live up to its reputation.

Tricerahops pours a bright amber, transparent, with a white head. The aroma is dominated by hops, though rather weak, and there are some pine/citrus notes in there, somewhere, but, unfortunately, it's more a body odor/gym socks hoppiness. The flavor also definitely lacks for hops (I'm aware of the limitations of IBU counts and don't put much stock in them, but I'm surprised at Ninkasi's claim that this clocked in 100+). It isn't nearly bitter enough. However, I'll give it some credit for not being sweet, either. The mouthfeel is a tad thin, and the finish is bland with those same mediocre, body odor hop flavors.

I appreciate that Ninkasi is trying to make relatively affordable craft beer, but this is a poor effort. Lagunitas absolutely blows them out of the water, in this respect. I hate to be harsh, but I just don't get this beer and have not been a fan of their other offerings thus far.

3.02/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured a clear golden amber that left nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma is barely present. I got hint of citrus and cooked oats.

The first few sips were very bitter. I love bitter ales but there was something not very balanced about this beer. Perhaps I got an old bottle because the bittering hops are very dominant and I don't taste any flavoring or aromatic hops. It is also a little too tart for the style. After a few sips the maltiness was more apparent and I could taste ripe bananas. Very dry and earthy finish.

Mouthfeel is a little light for a DIPA but it is very smooth.

3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

Finally got a replacement to take home and review. I dropped my 3 bottles of Tricerahops in my driveway after getting home from Portland via airplane. I taught the neighbors some pretty neat words and the wife may have doubted our relationship. I was mad, real mad.
But a recent trip to Denver relieved me of this pain, they sell it, yay!

Poured out an unfiltered copper, white head that sits a while. Good amount of clumpy adhering lace.
Aroma was kinda soapy, smelled like someone just took a shower (the Irish never quit). A bit of pine and fermented honey, but man so much soap.
Flavors follow aroma, pine ramps up and delivers. Slick mouth feel, pine maintaining in flavor, not what I remembered but the bottle says fresh. I'm going to pretend it was exposed to much sunlight even though it was in a windowless shop. Maybe we will try it again sometime... If I don't break more of them.

3.14/5  rDev -21.7%

Clear light copper, moderate off-white head with good retention and okay lacing. Resinous light floral hop aroma. Floral and light grapefruit bitterness gives away quickly to heavy sweet caramel malts. Light hop linger and alcohol warming. Creamy and slightly sticky feel.

I remember this being one of the beers that was responsible for my interest in Ninkasi. However, that was a long time ago and I have since become quite disappointed with a lot of their beers. Having the opprtunity to try this one again unfortunately affirmed that position. Don't get me wrong, they make a good beer however there is little to differentiate them from other breweries. They seem to do just above the bare minimum for their beers. This is a nicely balanced and drinkable Imperial IPA.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass and a tulip; served immediately from fridge. Sampled cold, and let it warm up to see if the taste and aromas changed.

Appearance: Orangey-golden hue. Very little carbonation with tiny bubbles with little to no head, and no remnants of lacing. Suspect that this might be a dud of a bottle.

Smell and aromas: Subtle notes of sour lemon, and sauerkraut. Since this is a DIPA style and is advertised on the bottle to have double hops, malt, and alcohol, I had assumed that this would have a strong and rich floral aroma with citrus notes. Plus with a name that evokes massive size of dinosaurs, I assumed this would be a hop head beer. I was surprised because the aromas were flat, and seemed to waft up slowly when giving the glass a whirl.

Taste: Bitter, with very subtle hop, slightly sour, and a spicy finish on the swallow. While there is little carbonation in the glass, the beer gave a bitter bite which was improved with the carbonation in the mouth. The beer had an astringent quality, with less notable “big hops” but had a slightly sour finish. If you are looking for a bright, hoppy DIPA with floral and citrus notes, this is not the beer. However, as it warmed, the carbonation seemed to give the beer some bite. I am not seeing how this is a DIPA, it seemed like a regular IPA.

Mouthfeel: Little to no coating, bitter on the finish which leaves a dry mouth, and gets you ready for that next sip. The body of the beer is watery and thin. I think this would complement slightly spicy food (such as Indian or Thai).

Overall: I really wanted to like this beer because I love DIPA’s. Although it was not what I expected (to be clear, I was looking for a big floral nose of lychee and citrus - but I am not holding this beer to my expectation) I stuck with it to see how the flavor may change. This is where I picked up spice, and thought about how the beer may be an excellent choice with ethnic foods. To me, beer styles should be creative and flexible, so if you are a DIPA lover, or getting into them, I would recommend a quaff.

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Thanks to sirdrinknp. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a half finger off white head. Decent foamy lacing sticks to the glass.

The nose is made up of some light citrus aromas, some piny hops and a bit of malt sweetness. The citrusy hops come across first before a bite of pine and some resiny hops that can be a bit skunky at times. There is a bit of a malt sweetness that balances the hops fairly nicely.

The taste follows the nose, perhaps the malt is a bit more present and the piny hops a touch stronger. Starts with the same light citrusy and fruity hops along with a malt sweetness that stays in the background. In the middle a round of dank, resinous hops provide a bitter kick but seem to pull back a bit and let the sweet malt come back out at the finish. What I find odd is that the malt is strong in the finish, with little hop presence, yet a few second after each sip there are bitter, sticky hops left on the tongue. As teh beer warms the alcohol becomes more evident and there is a slight burn as it goes down.

A medium body with low/medium carbonation makes the beer feel slick and oily. Bitter hops do linger on the tongue for a bit.

Drinkability is ok. It's gets tougher to drink as the beer warms and the 8.8% ABV peeks its head out. The strong bitterness that lingers makes it a one and done. Overall, it's an ok beer. There's nothing about it that stands out nor is there anything that is all that bad.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

This poured a malty orange amber in color with a thick layer of foam.

There’s a delectable aroma of orange and orange marmalade.

Every time I try this beer I keep thinking of it as being overly boozy, a malty-sweet booziness, that contrasts with the orange-citrus of the hops. At first I enjoyed it, then I didn’t mind, but now I find its finish and flavor profile to be off-putting in a way that makes me not reach for it anymore. Boo.

3.21/5  rDev -20%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

Amber colored with a hazy, unfiltered body. The head is lasting and sticky, slightly off-white.

The nose is signature Pacific Northwest IPA, an even mix of bready, slightly caramelized malt and citrusy, grapefruit and orange hoppiness. There's a touch of tropical fruit as well.

It's bready and bitter on the tongue, medium bodied, quite flavorful. Grapefruit and pine hop flavors are prominent, but there's an undertone of tropical fruit. The finish is resiny, grapefruit-like, mildly astringent. Pretty solid stuff, but by no means great.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Bomber purchased from a Fred Meyer in Pocatello, Idaho on the way back from a trip to Yellowstone. In a cold case, come on Utah, are you going to let Pocatello show us up? Who am I kidding, the Utah legislature does not read beeradvocate reviews before they purchase beer. This beer was poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A slightly hazy golden with a long lasting one fingered sandy head. Looks fine. Leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Does not smell exactly like a fresh DIPA. Crystal malts and a touch of honey more than hop flavors. The hops smell like a pine forest with a touch of citrus grove thrown in.

Taste: The label says that this has 100 IBUs, I am searching for about 70 of them. without the label, I would not have guessed DIPA. I would have said IPA. The malts are a touch sweet up front with a good flavor. The sweetness gives way to a light lingering bitterness on the tongue. 8.8 ABV is well hidden. Hints of tangerine and grapefruit. With this bottle, I am underwhelmed. It is tasty, but seems way off for the style.

Mouthfeel: Slick and medium to full. Carbonation is medium low. Flavors spread easily over the mouth.

Overall: I am confused with this one. So little hops aroma or blatant hops taste. Maybe I have become jaded and cannot taste anything under 50 % cold pressed extra virgin hop extract, but I do not think so. An odd duck, which I do not think represents the style.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle, unknown date. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours lightly hazy orange/amber with a good off-white head that leaves lots of sticky lacing and maintains a small cap.

Aroma is some orange citrus, apricot, good bit of floral hops, a touch of pine, decent bit of caramel malt. Good strength.

Flavor is apricot, orange/grapefruit citrus, some resin, noticeable caramel malt backbone, decent bit of sweetness in the middle, moderate bitterness on the finish and just a little mild alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, creamy, oily, moderate carbonation.

Apricot and caramel would be the best way for me to sum this one up, and unfortunately those are not my two favorite flavors in an IPA/DIPA. I could see fans of something like Dogfish Head’s 90 Minute really diggin’ this one though...

3.24/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Poured a dark orange color with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Nose is faint, very faint hints of caramel, pine needles, earth. Disappointing.

T: Rather lackluster. Minor notes of pine sap, orange peel. Caramel and a bread. Some yeast as well.

M: Not much bitterness, medium body, good booze feel

O: Overrated IIPA

3.25/5  rDev -19%

I remember enjoying this one a lot more so I have a feeling I may have just gotten an old bottle. Having said that, not much going on here. Floral, citrus, grapefruit aroma with a bit of pine, I thought it was more malty than hoppy. Poured a deep golden color with a white head. Taste was mostly what I got from the aroma, mainly citrus fruit, grapefruit, and some caramel malt. In a word: boring. I was surprised but I'm willing to give this one another chance.

3.31/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This brewery's been getting a lot of hype in BC. Everywhere I turn, I see NINKASI. I go to Facebook, I see NINKASI being hyped by the distributor. I go to Brewery Creek, I see NINKASI beer in the staff recommendations list. They have NINKASI tap takeovers. Obviously, this brewery has something to prove. I avoided them in the past on account of a friend (hello largoderr) saying he wasn't too impressed with their stuff. He's generally someone whose taste I trust, but at the same time, I couldn't take all the hype anymore. I had to try one of their beers. I was in the mood for some goddamn IPA this evening, so I got a bottle of this, a bottle of Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin and a sixpack of Lagunitas Sucks from Brewery Creek. When I asked the cashier about this beer, he told me that if I liked being punched in the mouth with hops, I would definitely enjoy this. Welp, seeing as my favorite pastime is being abused, assaulted and being held hostage by hops, I assumed this beer would deliver. Sigh. One of these days I'm going to have to stop being so trusting of people.

Where to start with this beer? I guess I'll start by saying that I had a couple of the Lagunitas Sucks bottles first, because I knew they were pretty goddamn amazing (and they were), and then I had the Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin because it was a single IPA so I figured I should have that before having the TRICERAHOPS, because the TRICERAHOPS was a double IPA, you see. Thus, it contained, like, DOUBLE the amount of palate-wrecking hops contained in a meager bomber of Hoppin' Cretin.

Sadly, this beer is completely underwhelming. It pours ok. I guess I'm really bad at gauging a beer's quality by its color (and really, I hardly understand the point of a rating based upon it), but it poured a pretty nice cloudy amber. It smelled... not like a double IPA would smell. The hops were fairly anemic and kinda generic, in the way "wet grass" would smell. The malts were very noticeable in the smell, as well, which is never a great sign in a supposed "hop bomb" double IPA.

The taste was just... bland. Generally, when I have a double IPA, I expect to be smacked down by the hops. It's not masochism on my part, I've just come to expect it from the style. This beer's hop profile could barely compare to the Hoppin' Cretin single IPA I had prior to it. You could definitely tell you were drinking an IPA, but you'd be hard-pressed to pinpoint any exact flavors or aromas. When your double IPA fails to overpower or, hell, even stack up to a single IPA, you have some issues on your hands.

Initial mouthfeel isn't bad. Good carbonation, decent crispness from the hops, but then the malt just overpowers everything else. This sort of malt backing would be ideal to an overpowered, 11% IPA with an obscene amount of hops (like Hop Henge, maybe). In this beer, though, it just overpowers everything and just makes it kinda sweet and slightly cloying.

Maybe I didn't have the freshest bottle. I wouldn't know, since NINKASI (HYPE HYPE HYPE) doesn't date their bottles. I've been running into this problem quite often recently. Breweries, seriously, how about you start dating your goddamn IPAs? Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'd have many of the same qualms with it even fresh. At 8.8% ABV, I can't see the hop profile balancing out the huge malt body this beer has.

Overall, I think this is proof that hyping a beer to hell and back works. 91 rating on BA? Seriously? There are way better examples of double IPAs in Oregon, Washington, and, hell, even in BC, Canada. They don't have an awesome hype campaign like this brewery, though, so they're nowhere near as well known.

HYPE IS AWESOME NINKASI HYPE HYPE BEST BEER (if you like things that suck)

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange body encircled with a ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Aroma of citrus and apricots with no more than a light touch of malts.

Taste: Slightly bready maltiness with a bit of caramel sweetness. Taste of grapefruit rinds and apricots. Punchy, medium-high hop bitterness. Touch of alcohol on the drying finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A passable Double IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -16%

650 ml bottle.

It pours a deep amber with a frothy white head that leaves some decent lacing.

The smell is pleasant. Nice tropical mango scents, decent malt sweetness, mostly pale malts. Very nice.

The flavor is decent. Some butterscotch and butteriness mars it slightly but nice hop flavor.

A decent dipa.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Opaque brushed copper body. Cream, bone-white head. Nice lace and ok retention.

S - Caramel malt, touch of orange citrus, green bitters.

T - Malt forward profile. Caramel, bread crust, malt powder. Green plant stem bitters through the finish.

M - Medium body up front, but ends a little thin.

O - The bitterness is raw and feels a little disconnected from the slightly overly sweet body.

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to my tulip glass

A:auburn orange color with almoast no head and little lace

S;piney citruss with a little bready malt smell

T:bitter hops with a big malt back bone almoast no sweetness or citruss

M:crisp and wet leaves my mouth watering

O:a nice beer verry smooth for a dipa not as hoppy as I wanted but preaty good

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pretty average ipa across the board. Pourz a nice clean amber. Smells super hoppy, pine and citrus. Flavor is a little unbalanced and slightly bitter. Resiny hops coat your mouth. Nothing spectacular but a solid ipa. However, out of all the "hop" pun beer names, Tricerahops is probably my favorite.

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

amber, not hazy, lack head. piney, sweet tropical fruit aroma, caramel. bitterness comes the front, then malty. short lasting of the 100ibu. similar with many other double ipa, no characteristic.

3.41/5  rDev -15%

On tap at Malibu Sundownder Tasting Room in Westlake Village, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. A foamy lattice of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and some onion and garlic herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice citrus forward hop flavor but the hop aromas I am getting are disjointed and muddled.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company