Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007)
2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

Doopie broke this one open last week for random night. Cheers man!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium-thinner looking, off-white, fluffy head with good retention. Gamboge orange in color, slightly hazy, with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a splotchy wisp leaving lace coating the sides of the glass. A wisp remains until the end and leaves some nice lacing all the way down.

SMELL: Pale malts, pine notes, and some soapy aromas. Lots of flowery hops are nice, but the soapy hop notes aren't really all that appealing.

TASTE: Pale malts, toffee notes, with lots of flowery hops and some citrus flavors as well. Much more citrus than the nose had suggested, and the soapy notes, while present, are not nearly as forthcoming. Better. A bolder and lingering aftertaste of bitter hops, flower notes, and mild citrus notes.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Somewhat light on the palate, creamy smooth, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Pretty solid here.

OVERALL: No better than alright. The nose was certainly not my cup of tea, as I’m not a huge fan of whatever hop produces that soapy quality, but luckily that hop was more mild in the flavor letting some enjoyable flower and citrus hop flavor come through. A decent brew, but not something that needs any special attention. Thanks again for sharing Doops.

Jeffo, Jun 11, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -28%

Appearance

Burnt orange snow globe. I'm guessing yeast particulates float around the medium size bubbles.

Smell:

Grapefruit, peach, yeast when it warms. Under-ripe orange with rind on the back

Mouthfeel:

Thicker and more yeast on the back of my throat than is normal for an DIPA or I like from one.

Overall:

Not into it. Why so much yeast. Why boast hops when they aren't complex, well rounded, or that forward in the nose or flavor. Yet it isn't malty enough to imagine they are hiding.

bmerz, May 15, 2011

jenray, Nov 29, 2011

ajcantu, Jun 18, 2013

AlaskanYoung, Dec 11, 2011

rflips86, Mar 23, 2014

Big disappointment. I tried this beer on tap at this year's DIPA Festival at The Bistro and was surprised to find it wanting. Optimistically, I didn't review it, hoping that the sampler didn't do it justice. I have a fresh bottle, now, and can honestly say this does not live up to its reputation.

Tricerahops pours a bright amber, transparent, with a white head. The aroma is dominated by hops, though rather weak, and there are some pine/citrus notes in there, somewhere, but, unfortunately, it's more a body odor/gym socks hoppiness. The flavor also definitely lacks for hops (I'm aware of the limitations of IBU counts and don't put much stock in them, but I'm surprised at Ninkasi's claim that this clocked in 100+). It isn't nearly bitter enough. However, I'll give it some credit for not being sweet, either. The mouthfeel is a tad thin, and the finish is bland with those same mediocre, body odor hop flavors.

I appreciate that Ninkasi is trying to make relatively affordable craft beer, but this is a poor effort. Lagunitas absolutely blows them out of the water, in this respect. I hate to be harsh, but I just don't get this beer and have not been a fan of their other offerings thus far.

popery, May 03, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured a clear golden amber that left nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma is barely present. I got hint of citrus and cooked oats.

The first few sips were very bitter. I love bitter ales but there was something not very balanced about this beer. Perhaps I got an old bottle because the bittering hops are very dominant and I don't taste any flavoring or aromatic hops. It is also a little too tart for the style. After a few sips the maltiness was more apparent and I could taste ripe bananas. Very dry and earthy finish.

Mouthfeel is a little light for a DIPA but it is very smooth.

volatilesther, Mar 28, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

This poured a malty orange amber in color with a thick layer of foam.

There’s a delectable aroma of orange and orange marmalade.

Every time I try this beer I keep thinking of it as being overly boozy, a malty-sweet booziness, that contrasts with the orange-citrus of the hops. At first I enjoyed it, then I didn’t mind, but now I find its finish and flavor profile to be off-putting in a way that makes me not reach for it anymore. Boo.

elNopalero, Sep 15, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass and a tulip; served immediately from fridge. Sampled cold, and let it warm up to see if the taste and aromas changed.

Appearance: Orangey-golden hue. Very little carbonation with tiny bubbles with little to no head, and no remnants of lacing. Suspect that this might be a dud of a bottle.

Smell and aromas: Subtle notes of sour lemon, and sauerkraut. Since this is a DIPA style and is advertised on the bottle to have double hops, malt, and alcohol, I had assumed that this would have a strong and rich floral aroma with citrus notes. Plus with a name that evokes massive size of dinosaurs, I assumed this would be a hop head beer. I was surprised because the aromas were flat, and seemed to waft up slowly when giving the glass a whirl.

Taste: Bitter, with very subtle hop, slightly sour, and a spicy finish on the swallow. While there is little carbonation in the glass, the beer gave a bitter bite which was improved with the carbonation in the mouth. The beer had an astringent quality, with less notable “big hops” but had a slightly sour finish. If you are looking for a bright, hoppy DIPA with floral and citrus notes, this is not the beer. However, as it warmed, the carbonation seemed to give the beer some bite. I am not seeing how this is a DIPA, it seemed like a regular IPA.

Mouthfeel: Little to no coating, bitter on the finish which leaves a dry mouth, and gets you ready for that next sip. The body of the beer is watery and thin. I think this would complement slightly spicy food (such as Indian or Thai).

Overall: I really wanted to like this beer because I love DIPA’s. Although it was not what I expected (to be clear, I was looking for a big floral nose of lychee and citrus - but I am not holding this beer to my expectation) I stuck with it to see how the flavor may change. This is where I picked up spice, and thought about how the beer may be an excellent choice with ethnic foods. To me, beer styles should be creative and flexible, so if you are a DIPA lover, or getting into them, I would recommend a quaff.

slammgrass, Nov 15, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

Thanks to sirdrinknp. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a half finger off white head. Decent foamy lacing sticks to the glass.

The nose is made up of some light citrus aromas, some piny hops and a bit of malt sweetness. The citrusy hops come across first before a bite of pine and some resiny hops that can be a bit skunky at times. There is a bit of a malt sweetness that balances the hops fairly nicely.

The taste follows the nose, perhaps the malt is a bit more present and the piny hops a touch stronger. Starts with the same light citrusy and fruity hops along with a malt sweetness that stays in the background. In the middle a round of dank, resinous hops provide a bitter kick but seem to pull back a bit and let the sweet malt come back out at the finish. What I find odd is that the malt is strong in the finish, with little hop presence, yet a few second after each sip there are bitter, sticky hops left on the tongue. As teh beer warms the alcohol becomes more evident and there is a slight burn as it goes down.

A medium body with low/medium carbonation makes the beer feel slick and oily. Bitter hops do linger on the tongue for a bit.

Drinkability is ok. It's gets tougher to drink as the beer warms and the 8.8% ABV peeks its head out. The strong bitterness that lingers makes it a one and done. Overall, it's an ok beer. There's nothing about it that stands out nor is there anything that is all that bad.

ms11781, Mar 29, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

Clear light copper, moderate off-white head with good retention and okay lacing. Resinous light floral hop aroma. Floral and light grapefruit bitterness gives away quickly to heavy sweet caramel malts. Light hop linger and alcohol warming. Creamy and slightly sticky feel.

I remember this being one of the beers that was responsible for my interest in Ninkasi. However, that was a long time ago and I have since become quite disappointed with a lot of their beers. Having the opprtunity to try this one again unfortunately affirmed that position. Don't get me wrong, they make a good beer however there is little to differentiate them from other breweries. They seem to do just above the bare minimum for their beers. This is a nicely balanced and drinkable Imperial IPA.

Bfarr, Jul 12, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

Bomber purchased from a Fred Meyer in Pocatello, Idaho on the way back from a trip to Yellowstone. In a cold case, come on Utah, are you going to let Pocatello show us up? Who am I kidding, the Utah legislature does not read beeradvocate reviews before they purchase beer. This beer was poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A slightly hazy golden with a long lasting one fingered sandy head. Looks fine. Leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Does not smell exactly like a fresh DIPA. Crystal malts and a touch of honey more than hop flavors. The hops smell like a pine forest with a touch of citrus grove thrown in.

Taste: The label says that this has 100 IBUs, I am searching for about 70 of them. without the label, I would not have guessed DIPA. I would have said IPA. The malts are a touch sweet up front with a good flavor. The sweetness gives way to a light lingering bitterness on the tongue. 8.8 ABV is well hidden. Hints of tangerine and grapefruit. With this bottle, I am underwhelmed. It is tasty, but seems way off for the style.

Mouthfeel: Slick and medium to full. Carbonation is medium low. Flavors spread easily over the mouth.

Overall: I am confused with this one. So little hops aroma or blatant hops taste. Maybe I have become jaded and cannot taste anything under 50 % cold pressed extra virgin hop extract, but I do not think so. An odd duck, which I do not think represents the style.

kagent777, Nov 07, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

22oz bottle, unknown date. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours lightly hazy orange/amber with a good off-white head that leaves lots of sticky lacing and maintains a small cap.

Aroma is some orange citrus, apricot, good bit of floral hops, a touch of pine, decent bit of caramel malt. Good strength.

Flavor is apricot, orange/grapefruit citrus, some resin, noticeable caramel malt backbone, decent bit of sweetness in the middle, moderate bitterness on the finish and just a little mild alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, creamy, oily, moderate carbonation.

Apricot and caramel would be the best way for me to sum this one up, and unfortunately those are not my two favorite flavors in an IPA/DIPA. I could see fans of something like Dogfish Head’s 90 Minute really diggin’ this one though...

elgiacomo, Jul 05, 2012