Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 422 | Hads: 1,562
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

This poured a malty orange amber in color with a thick layer of foam.

There’s a delectable aroma of orange and orange marmalade.

Every time I try this beer I keep thinking of it as being overly boozy, a malty-sweet booziness, that contrasts with the orange-citrus of the hops. At first I enjoyed it, then I didn’t mind, but now I find its finish and flavor profile to be off-putting in a way that makes me not reach for it anymore. Boo.

3.21/5  rDev -20%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

Amber colored with a hazy, unfiltered body. The head is lasting and sticky, slightly off-white.

The nose is signature Pacific Northwest IPA, an even mix of bready, slightly caramelized malt and citrusy, grapefruit and orange hoppiness. There's a touch of tropical fruit as well.

It's bready and bitter on the tongue, medium bodied, quite flavorful. Grapefruit and pine hop flavors are prominent, but there's an undertone of tropical fruit. The finish is resiny, grapefruit-like, mildly astringent. Pretty solid stuff, but by no means great.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Bomber purchased from a Fred Meyer in Pocatello, Idaho on the way back from a trip to Yellowstone. In a cold case, come on Utah, are you going to let Pocatello show us up? Who am I kidding, the Utah legislature does not read beeradvocate reviews before they purchase beer. This beer was poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A slightly hazy golden with a long lasting one fingered sandy head. Looks fine. Leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Does not smell exactly like a fresh DIPA. Crystal malts and a touch of honey more than hop flavors. The hops smell like a pine forest with a touch of citrus grove thrown in.

Taste: The label says that this has 100 IBUs, I am searching for about 70 of them. without the label, I would not have guessed DIPA. I would have said IPA. The malts are a touch sweet up front with a good flavor. The sweetness gives way to a light lingering bitterness on the tongue. 8.8 ABV is well hidden. Hints of tangerine and grapefruit. With this bottle, I am underwhelmed. It is tasty, but seems way off for the style.

Mouthfeel: Slick and medium to full. Carbonation is medium low. Flavors spread easily over the mouth.

Overall: I am confused with this one. So little hops aroma or blatant hops taste. Maybe I have become jaded and cannot taste anything under 50 % cold pressed extra virgin hop extract, but I do not think so. An odd duck, which I do not think represents the style.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle, unknown date. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours lightly hazy orange/amber with a good off-white head that leaves lots of sticky lacing and maintains a small cap.

Aroma is some orange citrus, apricot, good bit of floral hops, a touch of pine, decent bit of caramel malt. Good strength.

Flavor is apricot, orange/grapefruit citrus, some resin, noticeable caramel malt backbone, decent bit of sweetness in the middle, moderate bitterness on the finish and just a little mild alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, creamy, oily, moderate carbonation.

Apricot and caramel would be the best way for me to sum this one up, and unfortunately those are not my two favorite flavors in an IPA/DIPA. I could see fans of something like Dogfish Head’s 90 Minute really diggin’ this one though...

3.24/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Poured a dark orange color with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Nose is faint, very faint hints of caramel, pine needles, earth. Disappointing.

T: Rather lackluster. Minor notes of pine sap, orange peel. Caramel and a bread. Some yeast as well.

M: Not much bitterness, medium body, good booze feel

O: Overrated IIPA

3.25/5  rDev -19%

I remember enjoying this one a lot more so I have a feeling I may have just gotten an old bottle. Having said that, not much going on here. Floral, citrus, grapefruit aroma with a bit of pine, I thought it was more malty than hoppy. Poured a deep golden color with a white head. Taste was mostly what I got from the aroma, mainly citrus fruit, grapefruit, and some caramel malt. In a word: boring. I was surprised but I'm willing to give this one another chance.

3.31/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This brewery's been getting a lot of hype in BC. Everywhere I turn, I see NINKASI. I go to Facebook, I see NINKASI being hyped by the distributor. I go to Brewery Creek, I see NINKASI beer in the staff recommendations list. They have NINKASI tap takeovers. Obviously, this brewery has something to prove. I avoided them in the past on account of a friend (hello largoderr) saying he wasn't too impressed with their stuff. He's generally someone whose taste I trust, but at the same time, I couldn't take all the hype anymore. I had to try one of their beers. I was in the mood for some goddamn IPA this evening, so I got a bottle of this, a bottle of Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin and a sixpack of Lagunitas Sucks from Brewery Creek. When I asked the cashier about this beer, he told me that if I liked being punched in the mouth with hops, I would definitely enjoy this. Welp, seeing as my favorite pastime is being abused, assaulted and being held hostage by hops, I assumed this beer would deliver. Sigh. One of these days I'm going to have to stop being so trusting of people.

Where to start with this beer? I guess I'll start by saying that I had a couple of the Lagunitas Sucks bottles first, because I knew they were pretty goddamn amazing (and they were), and then I had the Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin because it was a single IPA so I figured I should have that before having the TRICERAHOPS, because the TRICERAHOPS was a double IPA, you see. Thus, it contained, like, DOUBLE the amount of palate-wrecking hops contained in a meager bomber of Hoppin' Cretin.

Sadly, this beer is completely underwhelming. It pours ok. I guess I'm really bad at gauging a beer's quality by its color (and really, I hardly understand the point of a rating based upon it), but it poured a pretty nice cloudy amber. It smelled... not like a double IPA would smell. The hops were fairly anemic and kinda generic, in the way "wet grass" would smell. The malts were very noticeable in the smell, as well, which is never a great sign in a supposed "hop bomb" double IPA.

The taste was just... bland. Generally, when I have a double IPA, I expect to be smacked down by the hops. It's not masochism on my part, I've just come to expect it from the style. This beer's hop profile could barely compare to the Hoppin' Cretin single IPA I had prior to it. You could definitely tell you were drinking an IPA, but you'd be hard-pressed to pinpoint any exact flavors or aromas. When your double IPA fails to overpower or, hell, even stack up to a single IPA, you have some issues on your hands.

Initial mouthfeel isn't bad. Good carbonation, decent crispness from the hops, but then the malt just overpowers everything else. This sort of malt backing would be ideal to an overpowered, 11% IPA with an obscene amount of hops (like Hop Henge, maybe). In this beer, though, it just overpowers everything and just makes it kinda sweet and slightly cloying.

Maybe I didn't have the freshest bottle. I wouldn't know, since NINKASI (HYPE HYPE HYPE) doesn't date their bottles. I've been running into this problem quite often recently. Breweries, seriously, how about you start dating your goddamn IPAs? Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'd have many of the same qualms with it even fresh. At 8.8% ABV, I can't see the hop profile balancing out the huge malt body this beer has.

Overall, I think this is proof that hyping a beer to hell and back works. 91 rating on BA? Seriously? There are way better examples of double IPAs in Oregon, Washington, and, hell, even in BC, Canada. They don't have an awesome hype campaign like this brewery, though, so they're nowhere near as well known.

HYPE IS AWESOME NINKASI HYPE HYPE BEST BEER (if you like things that suck)

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange body encircled with a ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Aroma of citrus and apricots with no more than a light touch of malts.

Taste: Slightly bready maltiness with a bit of caramel sweetness. Taste of grapefruit rinds and apricots. Punchy, medium-high hop bitterness. Touch of alcohol on the drying finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A passable Double IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -16%

650 ml bottle.

It pours a deep amber with a frothy white head that leaves some decent lacing.

The smell is pleasant. Nice tropical mango scents, decent malt sweetness, mostly pale malts. Very nice.

The flavor is decent. Some butterscotch and butteriness mars it slightly but nice hop flavor.

A decent dipa.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Opaque brushed copper body. Cream, bone-white head. Nice lace and ok retention.

S - Caramel malt, touch of orange citrus, green bitters.

T - Malt forward profile. Caramel, bread crust, malt powder. Green plant stem bitters through the finish.

M - Medium body up front, but ends a little thin.

O - The bitterness is raw and feels a little disconnected from the slightly overly sweet body.

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to my tulip glass

A:auburn orange color with almoast no head and little lace

S;piney citruss with a little bready malt smell

T:bitter hops with a big malt back bone almoast no sweetness or citruss

M:crisp and wet leaves my mouth watering

O:a nice beer verry smooth for a dipa not as hoppy as I wanted but preaty good

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pretty average ipa across the board. Pourz a nice clean amber. Smells super hoppy, pine and citrus. Flavor is a little unbalanced and slightly bitter. Resiny hops coat your mouth. Nothing spectacular but a solid ipa. However, out of all the "hop" pun beer names, Tricerahops is probably my favorite.

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

amber, not hazy, lack head. piney, sweet tropical fruit aroma, caramel. bitterness comes the front, then malty. short lasting of the 100ibu. similar with many other double ipa, no characteristic.

3.41/5  rDev -15%

On tap at Malibu Sundownder Tasting Room in Westlake Village, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. A foamy lattice of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and some onion and garlic herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice citrus forward hop flavor but the hop aromas I am getting are disjointed and muddled.

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Pours a dark gold with a small, half finger head. The head lingers for a short time and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet malt. There's a strange smell I can't put my finger on and that I've never smelled in a SDPA. It's a sweet smell that's a cross between a banana and a cantaloupe. Doesn't smell very hoppy and the normal characteristics of the style (pine, citrus, etc.) are not present.

T: Well balanced. Mild hop bitterness for the style. Minimal citrus notes and not a long finish. The alcohol is well masked.

M: Oily mouthfeel, medium bodied, and carbonation is lacking.

D: Very drinkable for an 8.8% beer. The low level of bitterness will ward off the palate fatigue for a while.

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

Deep copper color, clear, with moderate carbonation and thin head. Smell lacks pungency, it's got mostly an orange-citrus splash with a hint of minty hops in the background.

The taste is well balanced, not in your face hops. Tangy citrus hops paired with just enough malt sweetness seem to carry on through toward a moderately finish. It is very smooth and goes down rather easily for 8.8% ABV, it's just that the flavor lacks much complexity and starts to get redundant after a few sips. Appropriately carbonated.

With a name like Tricerahops I was expecting more "wow" factor, but this was just a pretty average Double IPA. Too many better options out there for me to try this again...

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy appearance. Very Cloudy. Did I mention its cloudy? 1/4 inch head.

S - Pine and a little floral

T - Nothing distinct in the taste for me. Starts off sweet and finishes bitter. A balanced taste and not that bitter considering its a DIPA.

M - A little too gritty for my enjoyment.

D -A drinkable DIPA but not my first choice. For a double IPA, tasted a little bland. Had some similar qualities to the total domination IPA but it didn't make it up to that next level taste of a DIPA except for alcohol content.

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%

Bomber from Wholefoods, Bend. Reviewed from notes.

Bright golden amber with a large, somewhat porous white head. Sinks relatively quickly with minimal lacing to a slight ring and film.

Somewhat muffled sweet citrus and floral hop aromas supported by savoury and toffee malts. Touch of sweatiness provides a lift and elusive sour grapefruit and wet grass at times give it a smart bite.

Flavours are dominated by a sharpish, earthy, fresh-mint bitterness which is nice in itself, but it fairly clobbers the fruity character. Some tangerine survives, but that's about all.

Medium body with moderate carbonation and an increasingly bracing bitterness on the mid and rear that is quite satsifying.

Doesn't seem to fulfil its potential, particularly with respect to the taste which verges on unidimensional. Not sure of the age on this though. Most redeeming characteristic is the dry bitterness.

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pretty sure Robbrandes sent me the bottle. Thanks.

Appearance: A nice, very light chill haze on a solid burnt orange/amber. Head is white and creamy. Drops to a small cap and collar after a few minutes, but leaves sheets of lacing, sheets and sheets. Moderate carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Sweet caramelized bready malt. Sweet without being cloying. Cooked. Hops run heavy on the citrus pushing a ton of orange and grapefruit. Some backing bitterness with a deep floral element. Some pineapple. Slightly bitter, but more balanced than anything else. A clean yeast profile with something that smells an awful lot like Chico. Vaguely almost salty thing in the back.

Taste: Caramel and bread. Doughy, undercooked bread. A solid cooked and caramelized malt backbone. Hops run with a little bit less depth than the nose indicated. A solid tropical undercurrent adds mostly pineapple. Some lingering bitterness and oily pine needle. Grapefruit zest with some pithy bitterness as well. Some green onion mixed in there. That element grows as the beer warms. Ends up a bit heavier on the hop presence, losing some of the balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate carbonation. A bit creamy up front, but finishes with a lingering sweetness and bitterness that dry the tongue. Somehow, it comes across as juicy overall, despite the dry thing.

Overall: Probably better that it's not a carnivore.

It's a west coast DIPA that never goes too far. It's got all the right flavors, if a little light on the citrus in the long run. The onion thing gets a bit much, but the malts help counter it in the long run. If memory serves from trips to the PNW, the price per bottle on this makes it well worth picking up.

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Where is the bite? I need that bite.

A: Cloudy brown/red nearing cider under the light color. Small head holds the entire glass with very strong lacing.

S: Barleywine? Less hoppy and more rounded than expected. Could be mistaken for Bigfoot all day long. Alcohol is definitely there.

T: Once again, barelywine. Where is the hop bite? Sure there is some serious hop bitterness, but it's well rounded and there is no bite. Salt/garlic/onion super-hop flavor.

M: Chewy, oily, medium-high carbonation from a soft pour.

O: Would buy again and enjoy, but not what I expected. I can buy a six-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo for less money than a bomber of this and the Torpedo would be just as, if not more, enjoyable.

3.46/5  rDev -13.7%

A - From a 22oz bottle it pours a hazy golden orange into the glass. It produces 2 fingers of white head that has decent retention and leaves some very nice lacing.

S - Piny and grassy hops paired with a caramel malt. It's not very pungent, and I am not sure I like the way the aroma meld together.

M - Medium in body with average carbonation. It contains a slight syrupiness.

T - A caramel sweetness up front followed by some grassy, lemony, and piny hops. A syrupy sweetness comes up in the finish with a mild bitterness.

An OK Imperial IPA. It's not terrible, but after having a few Imperial IPAs during my trip, this one just seems very average.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

Bought a 1 PINT 6 FL. OZ. bottle of this from Broulin's in Driggs, ID for $7.19.Poured from the Aqua Blue labeled bottle w/ the Ninkasi "N" bold into a 16oz Grand Teton Brewing Co Pint Glass. Does not have a freshness date.

Aroma- Has tons of grassy hop aroma from the beginning and sweetness towards the end. Very well blended aroma, tough to bring out much more.

Appearance- Pours a 3 Finger, frothy and long lasting head. Has a clear, copper colored both with tons of carbonation bubbles. Leaves THICK rings of lacing behind.

Flavor- Starts with tons of nice hop flavors (citrus, mango, and fruit) but then doesn't have much more... Has a light bitterness ending. Wondering whats going on here? A good amount of sweetness and malt are found. Maybe a malt dominant body?

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Creamy, Smooth, and finishes with light alcohol warming.

Overall Impression- Not the 2X IPA I was looking for... This seemed more like a Citrus IPA and didn't have the body or finishing flavors a Double IPA would. Would not turn this down if offered and not a bad brew, I just rate to style here.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance - This came out a thick and rugged orangish-brown in color with a modest head that left good lacing though.

Smell - The hop aroma has a stale grapefruit aspect that kind of turns me off, and the yeast comes on like a bear here. It has characteristics similar to an English bitter. All in all I like some aspects of the nose, such as how the light malts balance some of the harsher hops, but overall it was clumsy to me.

Taste - The hop flavor came out a bit smoother at the taste but this was still an awkward and somewhat embarrassing effort at the style. I'm a big fan of OR IPAs and DIPAs, but this just lost its way.

Mouthfeel - This is medium-bodied with some light carbonation and a big bitter finish that will surprise a lot of people.

Drinkability - This was not as bad to drink as you'd think from the review. I actually enjoyed some of the flavors but it certainly was not a classic DIPA and most definitely fell short of my expectation of a OR effort.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

I picked this up a while ago at work.

Appearance- dark golden amber color, thin head

Smell- light hops

Taste- very light hops

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was ok but I was expecting more hops from a double IPA. I still enjoyed it and would drink it again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

22oz bottle. Pours a brownish translucent orange with an inch of head. Minimal lacing. Aromas of resinous hops, onion, garlic, and hints of tropical fruits. Taste is more of the resiny hops along with the onion and garlic flavors. Very dank and garlicy. Medium bodied. This one somewhat reminds me of Gubna. Not sure about the garlic/onion hop flavors on this one. Overall, its alright but I think im done after this one.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company