Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 427 | Hads: 1,591
4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

poured into a shaker pint (and a bit into a corsendonk tulip)

a. orange-red in color, solid carbonation, limited in terms of head retention and also doesn't lace the way I'd prefer. When I poured into the tulip glass the head retention was of course greatly improved and the lees created a hazy brown affect. In my mind the best beers look good even in a shaker pint, this one doesn't look great in that condition but it looks better when it's put into glassware that helps cover its weaknesses.

s. all subtle citrus fruit, lime rind, oranges and grapefruit, mild herbal floral notes on the nose. I also smell something a bit spicy, almost like pumpkin bread baking

t. bready but like sourdough bready on the start, rolls into a sour-bitter lime like finish. Extremely solid in the flavor department. There is a pleasurable, teeth rattling oily astringent hop presence that lingers for minutes on end. Solid

m. This beer could use a bit more body, it seems rather light and thin.

d. On the other hand because it's so light and thin I find it extremely easy to drink especially considering alcohol content. This stuff drinks almost like a light lager as opposed to an IPA w/ 8.8 ABV.

It's solid stuff and I'm glad I finally tried this brewery, can't wait to check out more of their stuff.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Cloudy amber with a dense, off-white head. Aroma is all resiny hops, with some underlying bready sweetness. Pine and citrus pith hop bitterness is pervasive, washing over the palate and lingering well after the finish. But a heavy malt sweetness creates a full, slightly viscous mouthfeel with minimal carbonation. The malt is slightly grainy, with toffee and cookie sweetness that is a bit too syrupy and becomes slightly off-putting. Flavors are not well integrated, with a strange disconnect between the supple malts and the pithy bitterness. Drinkability suffers a little from this. Overall, some nice white grapefruit hop bitterness here, but a little too sweet for the style and not an impressive overall package.

4.09/5  rDev +2%

Cask poured into Imperial Pint glass.

Pours a hazy glowing golden with a finger of frothy, frothy white head that last forever. Aroma is resinous citrus and piney hops with a touch of caramel malt. The bouquet is just amazing on this beer. The Flavor is identical to the aroma but with a long last sweetness and a pleasant bitterness. Its medium-bodied and just a touch sticky. Very delicious beer and extremely smooth on cask.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

The aroma is great; pine, pineapple, sweet tangerines, and a medium malt sweetness. The taste matches up with the aroma very well. Pine, pineapple, a bit of grapefruit, and bitter pine on the finish.

Medium-full mouthfeel and medium-full carbonation. Slightly on the dry side.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Murky dark orange to light brown body with fizzy carbonation and a 1-1/2 finger off white head with a yellow tinge that leaves behind decent lacing.

Interesting smell and taste. Very fruity and bursting with grapefruit and lychee along with some sugar cane and bready malts. Overall, pretty dry. The floral and tropical highlights are quite intriguing. Smoothly bittered, but VERY bitter, yet quite aromatic at the same time (you usually don't get both at high marks). Very different from what I have sampled so far. Points for uniqueness.

Creamy mouthfeel. Strange, but appealing. Moderately high body with a decent amount of fizzy carbonation up front that quickly dissipates.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Pour: Hazy golden-amber color with two and a half fingers of slightly off-white head that retained very well and left all sorts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can smell this beer before I even hold it up to my nose! Aromas of citrus and piney hops, pale malt, fruity esters, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: The tip of the tongue starts off with a sour, acidic lemon punch which gives way into a lovely sweet syrup and pale malt flavor and a small bready flavor. The middle of the palate picks up a light fruity flavor, and the back end finishes up with a nice wallop of bitter piney and grapefruit hops. Alcohol very well disguised, but it's a bit warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, rich, slightly creamy, and medium carbonation. Coats the mouth with a nice thick layer of hop oils.

Drinkability: Extremely high for 8.8% ABV. A lovely sipping beer. Leaves you wanting another sip each time, and goes down extremely well. Not overly filling.

Final Notes: It doesn't actually taste as bitter as the IBUs would let on. Extremely well-balanced and drinkable, and an absolute must to pair against spicy food. If you're a hop lover, check it out.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Mine didn't actually much of a head to speak of, and didn't leave any lacing either. Possibly my sinuses here, but not a lot in the way of an aroma either. Smelled tangy hops and a light biscuit aroma. I really enjoyed the taste of this beer though. I've been drinking a lot of the more fruity/citrusy IPA's lately, and it was nice to drink something with a more buscuity/bready malt profile. The hops were still tangy, and I enjoyed the bitterness of it all. Overall, considering it's availability in my area and relatively low price, I would definitely drink it again... and again.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not much on the nose. Balanced taste but definitely leaning on the hoppy side. A little bitterness. Hops were earthy, floral rather than citrusy.
Feel was medium. Good for the style. Nice beer

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Pours one of the most cloudy beers I've seen this side of a Hefe.... Rather dark amber with some golden edges in the light.

Aroma was slight pine hops, some malt in there,
[couldn't find a date stamp, this may have been a little old]

Pretty nice big double IPA bite up front, malt backing. Pretty good balance, not bad,
Especially when you factor in the price. Probably the cheapest DIPA out there right now...

I'd get this again, not the best DIPA, but not bad at all, and at under 4 bucks, quite a deal.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint tasting glass.
A= Fresh nice looking DIPA, pours orange to amber, head is off white, lasts, and lacing remains.
S= Earthy, piney, and spicy hops, some sweet malt.
T= Sweet malt, maybe honey, lots of citrus and pine hops. Finish is all malt and bread.
M= Full with correct carbonation.
O= Tasty double IPA, balanced with malt, bitterness, and hop flavors. Pine and mixed citrus.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Fred Meyer poured into a Bullwinkle pint glass at Grandma's (usually I don't mention that kind of stuff but it seemed funny). Pours a slightly hazy dull orange with two fingers of egg shell colored head. The nose is strongly citrusy, lots of grapefruit and some orange and lemon with just a touch of piney hops. The malt is there but is definitely subdued as compared to the nose. The taste is more of the same with a good dryness. After I swallow I get a distinctly cannabis flavor in my mouth that wasn't really there on the nose. The mouthfeel was good but nothing special. Overall this is a solid DIPA and if it were readily available to me in my area I would definitely pick it up on occasion.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap for only two bucks he'll yes!

Look is a beautiful copper orange thin white head

Smell strong grapefruit sweet pine overall one of the best smelling dipa I have ever had

Taste is superb strong malt sweet hop ibis coming through pine citrus

Mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had real thick but not trying to be sludge just great

Overall one of my fav nw beers out there

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

A big thanks to djeucalyptus for this brew.

A - A cloudy copper with 2 fingers of off white head.

S - Pine! Lots of grapefruit, orange, and lemon as well.

T - A good balance of zesty hops and malt. Not as much of the kick you in the face pungent-ness of some DIPAs.

M/D - Good carbonation, creamy and full bodied. For some reason I thought this was only 7% till I finished the bottle, and laughed realizing it claims 9.7%. I'd love to have this regularly!

4.29/5  rDev +7%

This 9.6% hop fest is a masterpiece of brewing. It pours light amber in color with a small cap of dense foam. The aroma is huge with orange hops and just a hint of malt sweetness. The flavors is also big on the orange hop profile but the malt brings in some chewy caramel without being overly sweet. The mouthfeel is smooth and has a medium body. This is one of my favorite double/Imperial IPAs.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to SanFranJake for the opportunity!

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a half finger head and some lacing.

S: Citrus and floral hops along with some sweet malts and a hint of alcohol.

T: The flavors follow the nose. Citrus, floral, and piney hops with some bready malts and a touch of alcohol.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with light to moderate carbonation.

O: This is a solid DIPA. It's tasty, has great mouthfeel, and is easy to drink. I'm glad I got to try it.

3.66/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

bomber into standard pint. Room temp into chilled glass.

A: Dark honey colored and crystal clear with FOUR fingers of foamy, chunky, rocky, BEAUTIFUL slightly off white head. The lacing is intense and it has taken about 5 minutes for it to recede into a chunky foamy mess on top of the beer with a curtain of the stuff left on the sides of the glass. Looks like a golden bubble bath.

S: Hops right up front. Hidden under the hops is a little bit of sweetness. The hops smells earthy and almost dank, like peat. Smells good. Would be great with something roasted I think.

T: That sweetness on the nose is there right away on the palate despite the huge hop presence. After that is a burst of earthy hops that fades into a good bitter. A little alcohol warmth down the throat from the higher abv too.

M: Solid medium body with just enough carbonation to make it not feel like you are drinking malt syrup. Feels good in the mouth.

O: I must be learning to like IPAs because the more I review them the more I like them. Or I just keep trying better IPA. I was scared of this at first since this really isn't my style of beer and doubling it was a terrifying thought for me, especially after trying Total Domination and being overwhelmed with hops. I recommend this brew actually, score for my hometown heroes Ninkasi.

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Great balance of bitterness and sweet maltiness. Not as juicy and dank as I like but still a top brew. More prominent malt backbone to the hop bitterness than my favorites. Glad I brought this back to Ohio when I was in Arizona a few weeks ago. If I go out west again soon I would snag this again.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nothing amazing going on here. As such, it has negatively impacted my enthusiasm for a detailed review. Worth trying, but with the market being inundated with myriad IPAs, this does nothing to separate itself. It merely establishes itself. In a blind tasting, I would assert its style, but not its superiority. It's lacking the waves and layers of hops that are featured in some of today's aggressive, lean forward IPAs. Too thin, and certainly not enough body for an 8.0 ABV. The industry is catching up; former staples are paying the price.

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a bold gold, amber, with lots of head that falls to lacing that holds for a while.

Smell is faint floral hops and pine. Kinda meh for a double IPA.

Taste is not too bad with pine and citrus, mildly bitter, with a decent malt backbone that can hit you in the face if you've had a few beers already.

Feel is just about right with a middle of the road slickness and medium carbonation.

Overall this is what I expected from this brewery for a 9% 2xIPA , and its definitely worth the price I paid, but its nothing out of the ordinary really. It's sort of blah in terms of double IPAs. It needs aroma hops and just a bit more malt.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

A - Pours a shallow copper gold and gold fusion. Nice 2 finger thick head.

S - Very subtle in the nose. When I think of DIPA's, I imagine, big everything. This has very subtle breathes of oranges, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, bit of a pine towards the end of the sniff.

T - Everything happens very fast with the taste. It's a second of pineapple, mango, grapefruit, then ends with that familiar dryness from the hops. Not too bitter, nice complexity from the hops. I just wish this had more dimensions from the hops, idk, it's missing something along the stickyness.

M - This is a big beer that cloaks the palate, thick, silky, oily, slight burning sensation from the carbonation.

O - This beer is great in subtly amazing in terms of the taste and smell. My only complaint is it's too subtle at times. Other than that, it's refreshing, nice ABV makes this ideal for sessions and it paired well with some medium heated food. All in all, this is a keeper in my book. But I wouldn't rush to the store to buy it.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A - pours a very beautiful medium orange. Very clear, but not brilliant. A one finger off-white head builds quickly and falls to a quarter finger head that lingers for most of the glass. Some lacing.

S - citrus notes are aparent, but its just really fruity - almost like juicy fruit gum. Tropical. Lemon. Some booze present.

T - lots of fruity flavors with some citrus. Very smooth. Some booze, but its very mellow, adding a nice compliment to the hops. A slightly coarse/dirty hop bitterness lingers on the palate. Hop sweetness in the mid palate.

M - on the heavy end of what I would call light bodied. Surprised its this light - nice and attenuated ;)

D - fairly easy to drink. The lighter body and smoothness makes it very easy to drink for 8.8.

Overall, a super smooth IIPA that is easy to drink. Its a little odd its so smooth, which is why I think I enjoyed it so much. The booze is way more suppressed than the other two IIPAs I've reviewed in as many days (Heady and Ninja v Unicorn).

3.65/5  rDev -9%

My first ever in person trade (not counting freeloading of Jeffo's beers) with TheBrewViking got me this beer. Carefully wrapped it made the transatlantic journey and figured we needed to drink this fast before the hops fade turning this into a weak Barleywine.

Poured into a snifter.

Aggresive pour reveals an amber beer with a fluffy two finger foam. A little lacing on the side of the glass after the foam is gone.

The usual suspect on a West Coast IPA. Pine, citrus and hops.

Unexpected malt sweetnes upfront to make way for the hops.

A medium body slight dry finish.

I'd say a decent, not great, double IPA.
Thanks for the hook up, Brooks.

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Where is the bite? I need that bite.

A: Cloudy brown/red nearing cider under the light color. Small head holds the entire glass with very strong lacing.

S: Barleywine? Less hoppy and more rounded than expected. Could be mistaken for Bigfoot all day long. Alcohol is definitely there.

T: Once again, barelywine. Where is the hop bite? Sure there is some serious hop bitterness, but it's well rounded and there is no bite. Salt/garlic/onion super-hop flavor.

M: Chewy, oily, medium-high carbonation from a soft pour.

O: Would buy again and enjoy, but not what I expected. I can buy a six-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo for less money than a bomber of this and the Torpedo would be just as, if not more, enjoyable.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy orange copper with a small head and decent lacing, smell is basically slightly astringent floral hops.
Taste, well, it's a west coast IIPA for sure, piney hops upfront, I get a slight grainy middle don't know why, but it's OK. Slick finish lots of aftertaste of bitter in the good way.
This is very good, but I've had Pliny the Elder and I know what excellence tastes like, this is close and I would relish another bottle.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

I don't even know what to say, this is so good. I can't get this anywhere close to where I am, but my friend Mike brought a bomber back just recently. If I had to design an IPA, this would be exactly as it would be. Pours like they all do, but who cares, it's dark orange inviting, and more yellow that rust and tannic. Head, who cares! Smells yummy piney, floral and citrus hops, really makes me want to shove my head in the glass, good. If I could only 'jam on' my olfactory centers to continually perceive the hops: That good! Taste is clean malt, then citrus rind and more pine, and a hop echo that really can't be beat. This stuff has terrific after effects and outstanding balance. Mouthfeel is really good for a DIPA, and the alcohol lower, which I like, and the carbonation is moderate-low and fine and not overly syrupy in the delivery. If I were stinking wealthy, I'd hire a courier to bring this to my door. I'd have one every day. Astonishing.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company