Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 410 | Hads: 1,521
4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap for only two bucks he'll yes!

Look is a beautiful copper orange thin white head

Smell strong grapefruit sweet pine overall one of the best smelling dipa I have ever had

Taste is superb strong malt sweet hop ibis coming through pine citrus

Mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had real thick but not trying to be sludge just great

Overall one of my fav nw beers out there (385 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +4%

A big thanks to djeucalyptus for this brew.

A - A cloudy copper with 2 fingers of off white head.

S - Pine! Lots of grapefruit, orange, and lemon as well.

T - A good balance of zesty hops and malt. Not as much of the kick you in the face pungent-ness of some DIPAs.

M/D - Good carbonation, creamy and full bodied. For some reason I thought this was only 7% till I finished the bottle, and laughed realizing it claims 9.7%. I'd love to have this regularly! (459 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +6.7%

This 9.6% hop fest is a masterpiece of brewing. It pours light amber in color with a small cap of dense foam. The aroma is huge with orange hops and just a hint of malt sweetness. The flavors is also big on the orange hop profile but the malt brings in some chewy caramel without being overly sweet. The mouthfeel is smooth and has a medium body. This is one of my favorite double/Imperial IPAs. (395 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to SanFranJake for the opportunity!

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a half finger head and some lacing.

S: Citrus and floral hops along with some sweet malts and a hint of alcohol.

T: The flavors follow the nose. Citrus, floral, and piney hops with some bready malts and a touch of alcohol.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with light to moderate carbonation.

O: This is a solid DIPA. It's tasty, has great mouthfeel, and is easy to drink. I'm glad I got to try it. (512 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

bomber into standard pint. Room temp into chilled glass.

A: Dark honey colored and crystal clear with FOUR fingers of foamy, chunky, rocky, BEAUTIFUL slightly off white head. The lacing is intense and it has taken about 5 minutes for it to recede into a chunky foamy mess on top of the beer with a curtain of the stuff left on the sides of the glass. Looks like a golden bubble bath.

S: Hops right up front. Hidden under the hops is a little bit of sweetness. The hops smells earthy and almost dank, like peat. Smells good. Would be great with something roasted I think.

T: That sweetness on the nose is there right away on the palate despite the huge hop presence. After that is a burst of earthy hops that fades into a good bitter. A little alcohol warmth down the throat from the higher abv too.

M: Solid medium body with just enough carbonation to make it not feel like you are drinking malt syrup. Feels good in the mouth.

O: I must be learning to like IPAs because the more I review them the more I like them. Or I just keep trying better IPA. I was scared of this at first since this really isn't my style of beer and doubling it was a terrifying thought for me, especially after trying Total Domination and being overwhelmed with hops. I recommend this brew actually, score for my hometown heroes Ninkasi. (1,318 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not much on the nose. Balanced taste but definitely leaning on the hoppy side. A little bitterness. Hops were earthy, floral rather than citrusy.
Feel was medium. Good for the style. Nice beer (197 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nothing amazing going on here. As such, it has negatively impacted my enthusiasm for a detailed review. Worth trying, but with the market being inundated with myriad IPAs, this does nothing to separate itself. It merely establishes itself. In a blind tasting, I would assert its style, but not its superiority. It's lacking the waves and layers of hops that are featured in some of today's aggressive, lean forward IPAs. Too thin, and certainly not enough body for an 8.0 ABV. The industry is catching up; former staples are paying the price. (542 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2%

Pours a bold gold, amber, with lots of head that falls to lacing that holds for a while.

Smell is faint floral hops and pine. Kinda meh for a double IPA.

Taste is not too bad with pine and citrus, mildly bitter, with a decent malt backbone that can hit you in the face if you've had a few beers already.

Feel is just about right with a middle of the road slickness and medium carbonation.

Overall this is what I expected from this brewery for a 9% 2xIPA , and its definitely worth the price I paid, but its nothing out of the ordinary really. It's sort of blah in terms of double IPAs. It needs aroma hops and just a bit more malt. (635 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A - pours a very beautiful medium orange. Very clear, but not brilliant. A one finger off-white head builds quickly and falls to a quarter finger head that lingers for most of the glass. Some lacing.

S - citrus notes are aparent, but its just really fruity - almost like juicy fruit gum. Tropical. Lemon. Some booze present.

T - lots of fruity flavors with some citrus. Very smooth. Some booze, but its very mellow, adding a nice compliment to the hops. A slightly coarse/dirty hop bitterness lingers on the palate. Hop sweetness in the mid palate.

M - on the heavy end of what I would call light bodied. Surprised its this light - nice and attenuated ;)

D - fairly easy to drink. The lighter body and smoothness makes it very easy to drink for 8.8.

Overall, a super smooth IIPA that is easy to drink. Its a little odd its so smooth, which is why I think I enjoyed it so much. The booze is way more suppressed than the other two IIPAs I've reviewed in as many days (Heady and Ninja v Unicorn). (1,055 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

My first ever in person trade (not counting freeloading of Jeffo's beers) with TheBrewViking got me this beer. Carefully wrapped it made the transatlantic journey and figured we needed to drink this fast before the hops fade turning this into a weak Barleywine.

Poured into a snifter.

Aggresive pour reveals an amber beer with a fluffy two finger foam. A little lacing on the side of the glass after the foam is gone.

The usual suspect on a West Coast IPA. Pine, citrus and hops.

Unexpected malt sweetnes upfront to make way for the hops.

A medium body slight dry finish.

I'd say a decent, not great, double IPA.
Thanks for the hook up, Brooks. (652 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pours a shallow copper gold and gold fusion. Nice 2 finger thick head.

S - Very subtle in the nose. When I think of DIPA's, I imagine, big everything. This has very subtle breathes of oranges, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, bit of a pine towards the end of the sniff.

T - Everything happens very fast with the taste. It's a second of pineapple, mango, grapefruit, then ends with that familiar dryness from the hops. Not too bitter, nice complexity from the hops. I just wish this had more dimensions from the hops, idk, it's missing something along the stickyness.

M - This is a big beer that cloaks the palate, thick, silky, oily, slight burning sensation from the carbonation.

O - This beer is great in subtly amazing in terms of the taste and smell. My only complaint is it's too subtle at times. Other than that, it's refreshing, nice ABV makes this ideal for sessions and it paired well with some medium heated food. All in all, this is a keeper in my book. But I wouldn't rush to the store to buy it. (1,014 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Where is the bite? I need that bite.

A: Cloudy brown/red nearing cider under the light color. Small head holds the entire glass with very strong lacing.

S: Barleywine? Less hoppy and more rounded than expected. Could be mistaken for Bigfoot all day long. Alcohol is definitely there.

T: Once again, barelywine. Where is the hop bite? Sure there is some serious hop bitterness, but it's well rounded and there is no bite. Salt/garlic/onion super-hop flavor.

M: Chewy, oily, medium-high carbonation from a soft pour.

O: Would buy again and enjoy, but not what I expected. I can buy a six-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo for less money than a bomber of this and the Torpedo would be just as, if not more, enjoyable. (716 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

I don't even know what to say, this is so good. I can't get this anywhere close to where I am, but my friend Mike brought a bomber back just recently. If I had to design an IPA, this would be exactly as it would be. Pours like they all do, but who cares, it's dark orange inviting, and more yellow that rust and tannic. Head, who cares! Smells yummy piney, floral and citrus hops, really makes me want to shove my head in the glass, good. If I could only 'jam on' my olfactory centers to continually perceive the hops: That good! Taste is clean malt, then citrus rind and more pine, and a hop echo that really can't be beat. This stuff has terrific after effects and outstanding balance. Mouthfeel is really good for a DIPA, and the alcohol lower, which I like, and the carbonation is moderate-low and fine and not overly syrupy in the delivery. If I were stinking wealthy, I'd hire a courier to bring this to my door. I'd have one every day. Astonishing. (955 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint tasting glass.
A= Fresh nice looking DIPA, pours orange to amber, head is off white, lasts, and lacing remains.
S= Earthy, piney, and spicy hops, some sweet malt.
T= Sweet malt, maybe honey, lots of citrus and pine hops. Finish is all malt and bread.
M= Full with correct carbonation.
O= Tasty double IPA, balanced with malt, bitterness, and hop flavors. Pine and mixed citrus. (423 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a hazy orange copper with a small head and decent lacing, smell is basically slightly astringent floral hops.
Taste, well, it's a west coast IIPA for sure, piney hops upfront, I get a slight grainy middle don't know why, but it's OK. Slick finish lots of aftertaste of bitter in the good way.
This is very good, but I've had Pliny the Elder and I know what excellence tastes like, this is close and I would relish another bottle. (437 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A - A little cloudy with sediment, but that's ok for the DIPA's due to how much hops are involved and dry hopping. Darker yellow/burnt orange, not much head or lacing (poured slow).

S - Smells a little citric and alcoholish but on the lighter side of hop'tastic grassy/woody kinda thing.

T - Citrus, alcohol, hops of some sort, a little bitter but more on the citrus bitter side then hop bitter. Aftertaste lingers bitter grapefruit and alcohol.

M - Has great carbonation, good aftertaste, nice balance of bitter and smooth.

D - Drinks easy for a DIPA, there are hefty notes of what we like in DIPA but... not over the top in smell/flavor, a little toned down for what I expect outta of DIPA. Nice aftertaste that surprises me a little, great balance of taste/feel. Smell is a little too toned down. Pretty good, thumbs up. (827 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Great balance of bitterness and sweet maltiness. Not as juicy and dank as I like but still a top brew. More prominent malt backbone to the hop bitterness than my favorites. Glad I brought this back to Ohio when I was in Arizona a few weeks ago. If I go out west again soon I would snag this again. (300 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Look: Three fingers of off white creamy head dissipates pretty slowly leaving pretty lacing. Hazy copper in color and floaty sediment.

Smell: Oily orange citrus hops.

Taste: Pretty well balanced. Was expecting a bit more hoppy bitterness. Fruity malts and a slightly bitter finish. Masks the alcohol very well.

Feel: Kinda syrupy. Sticky sweet.

Overall: Pretty ok. Doesn't feel like a double neccisarily but is still a killer IPA. At $12 for a four pack, there are others I enjoy much more. Dirtwolf comes to mind. Certainly worth a shot but I don't know that I'll be returning. (582 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6%

No Bottle On Date

A - Pours a thick and lucious golden honey colro with a dense creamy white head. Looks really thick, can't wait to try it!

S - Big floral, citrus hops. Ripe grapefruit and clementines.

T - There is a big sweet taste that hits the tongue. It is like the calm before the storm, as the hops rush in and hit. Citrus and floral, the hops are there, but not overly bitter, actually quite sweet. The finish is a bit dry, and the aftertaste is full of grassy piney bitter hops.

M - Thick, chewy and extremely syrupy. Feels like a topping for an ice cream sundae. Low carbonation, feels a bit under carbonated.

D - Deceptively smooth. This bad boy goes down easy! Sweet and delicious, very balanced DIPA, especially coming from the West Coast. I'm glad the bitter hops show up in the end. I'd drink another! (821 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a nice copper color. Smell of citrus and fruit. Beer is juicy and full of citrus. Bitterness almost taste like a grapefruit. Easy to drink. Good balance of fruit with the bitterness. Solid beer from a solid brewery. (221 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

22oz bottle purchased for $4.99 on 4-2-4 at Whole Foods Portland.

This beer pours a golden orange with a nice tall eggshell colored head that leaves behind a solid wash of lacing as it recedes.

Bright tropical fruits and floral notes come through big in the aroma. The taste is big on grapefruit, pine, orange zest and dandelions with a light malt sweetness in the background.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer that I plan to purchase with regularity now that it is in bottles and such a fair price. (509 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5%

Poured a hazy orange with a bubbly off white head. The nose is spicy honey with a gentle boozyness. The smell is growing on me as it warms slightly. The taste is orange and a little one dimensional. The mouthfeel is a bit dry and somewhat flat. I would say that this is a good beer but average complexity made it miss the mark a bit. (333 characters)

Appearance: Golden - Sticks to glass well

Smell: Hops - tons of hops.

Taste: Hops, sweet malty - french onion dip, grapefruit - balanced citrus.

Mouthfeel: Soft, Tannic, well balanced

Drinkability: classic double ipa - very drinkable - quenches that hop thirst! I highly recommend! (287 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: thick off-white head on top of an orange pour

Aroma: sweet hop resins and a flowery NW bouquet

Flavor: strong bitterness with some residual meatiness in the initial drink. Very woody and peppery, with spiciness complementing. Peasant-like maltiness contributes to the hop spice.

MF: large body but sweeetness is lacking the power of the hops. Not the most drinkable but delicious once (395 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured this into a snifter. Thin head, chill haze,Dark cheery wood in color.
Smell was resinous, fruity, thick sweet malt, carmel, rotton wood.
Taste was slightly warming with a sugary malt profile. Taste was not as heavy as smell, but had some nice grapefruit and piney hops. bitter end. Like the use of high alfa hops.
Mouthfell was thick and astringent.
This is a nice IIPA, but when I had it on draft it was better tasting. Not sure how old this bottle was because there was no date. A pricey beer but a good one. (518 characters)

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company