Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007)
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from the bomber into my Duvel tulip. Got this one thanks to my awesome mom on her trip to Oregon.

A - Hazy orange body with a nice off white head resting on top

S - Citrus and tropical hop notes with a bit of sweetness. I got to really stick my nose in this to smell it but it does smell good.

T - More citrus in the taste mixes with a pale malt flavor. Finishes with a mix of citrus and sweet malt flavor. Pretty balanced but a nice grapefruity flavor. Not too bitter.

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky a bit more than normal amount of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. Well balanced. Certainly not the best DIPA out there but a solid take on the style. I'm glad I got to try this one and the name is awesome. Worth trying and I would drink this again but I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Waiting for the DirecTV dudes always makes me wanna drink. SHOW UP ALREADY!!!!

Moving right along....

Pours a beautiful hazy amber with 'bout a finger o' creamy head that settles into a tiny crown, leaving decent lacing. Very well carbonated, which is nice. Wonderful pungent hop aromas abound. Lot's of pine, maybe some pineapple, some vanilla even rolling around in there. Very robust aromas, I like...Flavor has a great feel to it. Isn't just a massive hop bomb, but of course it's very West Coast hoppy (meaning a lot of hops!!). There are some nbeat things in the initial burst of flavor - something akin to a little mary-jane playing around in there. Different and unique, and I think it works well, actually. Flavors eveolve in this one, I get some alcohol in the middle and finish, and run into pineapple, and maybe lavendar along the way. This is good and unique, in my opinion.

What I like Most: How the flavor profile evolves.

What I like Least: The finish carries a little too much alcohol.

Verdict: Very good and definitely worth seeking out.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Re-review. First time I had this (courtesy of end 0))), I gave it an A.

A: Pours a clear copper / orange / gold with half a finger of off-white head with several minutes of good retention, thanks to the continual refreshing by generous effervescence up the glass. Recedes to a nice film on the glass with dribbles of sticky lacing down the sides.

S: Primarily fruity hops: peach, pineapple, lychee, and of course grapefruit. Also has a nice undercurrent of sweet caramel and toffee malt. I'm glad to experience such a fresh nose on this one. It's quite nice.

T: All fruit up front, with the aroma components each making a play: peach and lychee in the initial taste, a tart pineapple, and citric grapefruit laying the groundwork. However, amongst the fruit, caramel, toffee, bread, and sugar cookie are very strong. This beer is a step removed from being a barleywine. Don't get me wrong; it's fresh and enamel-peeling, but I'm not blown away by the ratio of hop to malt.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Some alcohol burn, which is surprising at [only] 8.8%. A very small metallic aftertaste makes me a little annoyed by the end of the bomber, but it's fairly mild.

D: I enjoyed this one, and I'd certainly get more of it if I can be assured freshness. At $4 a bomber, I think it's very fairly priced. Now, it's no A-level DIPA on the level of Pliny and Alpine offerings, and it lags a little behind an upper-tier B like Hop Stoopid, but I'm comfortable giving it something in the lower B range.

From a 22 ounce bomber

Appearance- Deep amber color with a very white and foamy head. Decent carbonation

Smell- Very floral (as you would expect from a DIPA). Predominant smells are pine, citrus, and a hint of grassy smell but much heavier on the pine and citrus.

Taste- A explosion of citrus predominant the front taste followed by a strong bittering note that dovetails into another nice citrus finish.

Mouthfeel- Outstanding. Very smooth which is surprising for a beer with 8.8% along with being a DIPA. Easily the best mouthful I've ever tried on a DIPA.

Drinkability- Fairly good for a double IPA. I could drink maybe at most two of these a night given copious amount of hops and the higher ABV.

Overall- A very good example. I'm trying to be fair since I just returned from GABF and was able to drink Pliny the Elder three days in a row. I was bummed when I went to their tent and they were completely out. This beer is clearly not as balanced as Pliny but it's a great DIPA. I definitely love IPA/DIPA with less bittering hops, more floral/aroma hops and lots of citrus taste so this hits the spot.

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap for only two bucks he'll yes!

Look is a beautiful copper orange thin white head

Smell strong grapefruit sweet pine overall one of the best smelling dipa I have ever had

Taste is superb strong malt sweet hop ibis coming through pine citrus

Mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had real thick but not trying to be sludge just great

Overall one of my fav nw beers out there

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

A - From a 22oz bottle it pours a hazy golden orange into the glass. It produces 2 fingers of white head that has decent retention and leaves some very nice lacing.

S - Piny and grassy hops paired with a caramel malt. It's not very pungent, and I am not sure I like the way the aroma meld together.

M - Medium in body with average carbonation. It contains a slight syrupiness.

T - A caramel sweetness up front followed by some grassy, lemony, and piny hops. A syrupy sweetness comes up in the finish with a mild bitterness.

An OK Imperial IPA. It's not terrible, but after having a few Imperial IPAs during my trip, this one just seems very average.

A - 4" Thick white head, dark golden brown
S - Smells very strongly of Piney hops (I have trouble detecting much of anything else from most IPAs)
T - Mild IPA flavors, not as hoppy as the nose suggests, though compared to something like DFH 90min this is tame (which I think works in its favor). A slight citrusy finish
M - Moderately heavy with good drinkability. Great aftertaste - not that overwhelming almost metallic flavor.
I got another one to put in my fridge, this one is going to stay toward the front of the fridge

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, somewhere between dark gold and honey amber with a tinge of copper. A nice thick head sticks around for a little while and leaves moderate lacing.

S - Very grassy aroma from the hops, with a hint of lemon. Malt is subdued.

T - Strong and clean hop bitterness balanced by caramel malts. Grassiness and is less pronounced than in the aroma, but still present.

M - Smooth and creamy from lots of malt, followed by mouth-drying bitterness that lingers nicely.

D - This is how a double IPA should taste. Goes down easy and comes on strong. An all-around excellent beer.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

A nice extra by way of Meatyard in a recent trade. My first from this brewery, but hopefully not my last.

Tricerahops comes out da bottle looking DIPA'ish with a nice mix of hazy gold and orange intertwined, not much of a head but a thick cap, small streaks of lacing. Smell is all tropic fruit with a bunch of mango. Some amount of malt sweetness and sugar. Taste is a mango explosion with grapefruit and very little malt intrusion. A slight sugar cookie in the end. Small alcohol. Feel is perfect nuff said, for beer of this size, it's great. Very fruity and not very bitter, not any pine in this. Medium body low carb, great drinkability. I liked it.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

220z bomber into a perfect pint.

A - Hazy, almost cloudy rusty orange. Maybe a finger or so of off-white head, with very little retention, fading to a somewhat thick cap. Great lacing, though.

S - Very hoppy aroma, mostly on the piney side of things. Caramel and some vegetative flavors in the background. There's a hint of maltiness and maybe some breadiness, too. Almost like a DIPA poured into a bowl of cereal. More pleasant than it sounds.

T - Well, this is strange. It tastes not much like the aroma. The hops are there, but backed with a sweetness that I don't get in the nose in any way. Definitely a resiny finish, sticky and sweet. As it warms up it definitely gets better, with the hops becoming more prominent. Very little alcohol present considering the ABV. Tasty stuff.

M - Sticky and medium to full bodied. It has more of a sweet finish than dry, and it lingers for a while. Very nice and smooth going down.

D - The flavor keeps me wanting more, and the ABV is fairly well hidden. I've finished the bomber and I'm not feeling too woozy. I could go for another.

O - Considering the price here, this is a great brew. Very flavorful, not too strong, and even nice packaging. When Ninkasi decides to distribute this to more of the country, they're going to have a hit on their hands. In the meantime, we'll be enjoying this on the left coast.

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a touch of haze to the body. One thick finger of bubbly ivory foam caps the experience. Pretty good, altogether.

Smell: earthy, slightly funky hop aroma with highlights of citrus running through the base. There is a little malt smell underpinning the hops, but it is definitely not the main event.

Taste: quite citrusy. The hops balance on top of a quite-malty and very-slightly-biscuity base which sort of reminds me of an imperial red ale. The overall effect is quite fruity; not just grapefruity, but an interesting citrus salad kind of mix. It's rather tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation. Feel is silky and somewhat creamy. Actually, it's rather above average for what I would consider a "standard" Northwest type beer. Good job, Ninkasi.

Drinkability: refreshing citrusy flavors overcome the high ABV for making this beer drinkable. Bitterness is way up there and gets to be kind of much, but the interesting flavor combination keeps me coming back.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle thanks to onix1agr. Good look on the splits.

A- a finger or so of egg shell colored head that settles quickly leaving a few spots of stick and a solid ring. Hazy sunset orange in color.

S- massive hops in the face. Mangos, pineapples, apricot nectar, oranges. Lite honey like sweetness and a bit of toast.

T- loads of juicy fruity hops. Tropical and citrus fruit galore. Mangos and grapefruit taking the lead with some tangerine and pineapple as well. Hint of conifers but not much. Mild sweetness that brings out the hops beautifully. Honey and turbinado sugar come to mind. Slightly biscuity malts in the back.

M- medium body with a nice mid level carb that leaves the brew on he palate a but letting you really get into it. Not a bit of heat from his 8.8 abv dipa.

D- I'm love this beer one of the best and most drinkable brews of the style. My first from this brewery but this will not be my last.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours very bright copper orange color with beautiful white fluffy head about two fingers thick. Retention is great. Pretty looking beer.
Smell - very citrusy with some pine flavor, bitter hoppiness all the way through. Typical IPA flavor pretty good one though.
Taste - sweet orange upfront, followed by bitter lemon/lime and hops of course. Some grapefruit notes are there as well. Very well balanced, alcohol hidden well. Smooth and rich, moderate hops. I would have more than one definitely.

Great brew!

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy appearance. Very Cloudy. Did I mention its cloudy? 1/4 inch head.

S - Pine and a little floral

T - Nothing distinct in the taste for me. Starts off sweet and finishes bitter. A balanced taste and not that bitter considering its a DIPA.

M - A little too gritty for my enjoyment.

D -A drinkable DIPA but not my first choice. For a double IPA, tasted a little bland. Had some similar qualities to the total domination IPA but it didn't make it up to that next level taste of a DIPA except for alcohol content.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

this beer pours really deep orange, much darker than i thought the hoppy beer would be.

Good head, just a little lacing on the glass as I go. The smell was okay, not very overpowering or dominating. I get some citrus and hops, not very good at identifying IPA ingredients...

Taste was really tame, but full. Good citrus and bitter, a really good type of IPA for my taste.

I could probably drink this for most of the day, and the citrus/hops taste lingers for a while. Solid beer.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to hopsbreath and the Support Your Team! BIF for this bottle!

I tried to come up with a clever dinosaur-themed pun to start things off with, but my sleep-deprived mind has not been able to put one together. Sorry. This gigantotherm (who knew I'd learn so much in a 100-level EAS course?) pours a hazy orange amber topped by a finger or so of relatively quickly-dissipating white foam. The nose comprises resin-y pine, sharp grapefruit (both ruby red and t'other), dirty toffee, and a small hint of onion-ish-ness. The taste maintains the hop-forwardness, though the comparatively weak toffee is not completely drowned out. The pine takes precedence over the grapefruit. Just sayin'. Feel the hops, baby! The body is a solid medium, with a light carbonation and a thick, nearly sticky finish. Overall, another powerful West Coast-er; if I were more into the hops, I doubt I'd be able to stop sipping this treat.

I have been a beer fan for 50+ years and this one has blown me away. Exceptional flavor and after taste. I wish the beer was less damaging so I could drink more but two is absolutely all I can handle. The wife works for the distributor so I get a break on cost. I just love this beer

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

22oz bomber poured into Dogfish Head snifter.

A: The beer poured with a fluffy one finger head and left a small thin lacing on the glass.

S: The initial smell was sweet almost honey like, then I picked up some citrus/grapefruit.

T: The initial taste of this beer was mildly sweet from the malts, and then it finished with mild bitterness of grapefruits. Nothing over the top here, just a very well balanced beer. It was much less "hoppy" then expected from a Imperial IPA, but not disappointed due to the excellent balance of this beer.

M: The mouthfeel was just a tad under a thin syrup and had a very nice carbonation level for this style of beer.

D: I would definitely drink this one again in the summer, fall, winter or spring. I would have this beer with brunch, lunch, dinner or just by itself.

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Clear medium reddish-amber. One finger of white foam head diminishes to a thick, persistent residue. Scant lacing remains on the glass. Yeast sediment is visible at the bottom of the glass.

S: Very sweet with intense pine, apricot, and some spices. Some medicinal quality is detectable.

T: Potent spicy aromatic hops lead, accented dry bright fruit and white wine. Bitterness builds quickly and lingers as the aromatic flavors dissipate. Just-off-dry malt is present from the start through most of the finish. Faint alcohol swirls around in the background.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly sticky, with light carbonation.

D: This beer attempts to stand beside some of the biggest double IPAs and fares remarkably well, despite a somewhat lower abv than its peers (such as Port Hop 15 at 10%). Balance in this style is rare, and this beer delivers a hoppy version of it, without making hop flavors the only attraction. With a detectable malt backbone and a drying finish, this beer pairs well with food. The qualities of the hops present remind strongly of Oskar Blues Gubna, with complex spicy, and even savory, flavors developing.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Picked up a bomber at the Hoodlands Thriftaway in Welches on 8-7-10.
Beer poured a hazy orange with a nice white head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is a blast of citrus hops. Taste is a big load of pale and caramel malts balanced very nicely by pineapple and citrus tinged hops. Mouthfeel is full and pretty darn smooth for the style. Overall drinkability is very good. The abv is well hidden. This is a well made double ipa that is recommended to hopheads to try!

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Nonic. Tasted several times from various taps in the Portland area.

This is basically an amped up version of Total Domination. More hops, more alcohol, more body, more more more!!! (Do I feel a Billy Idol song coming on?)

A - Typical yet quality IPA appearance, good straw-gold hue with some haze, a nice head and decently persistent lace.

S - Richly aromatic with lots of fresh hops and spice, some hints of citrus and pine.

T - Lots more of the citrus, hops, and spice.

M - Here is where this beer really differs from Total Domination. This is massive, structured, and intense with a soft character to the tannins that prevent this from being way too astringent.

D - It just calls you back for more. This is such a massive IPA, yet balanced and complex. The texture and alcohol are so perfectly matched that it doesn't seem to be over 8%.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Pour: Hazy golden-amber color with two and a half fingers of slightly off-white head that retained very well and left all sorts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can smell this beer before I even hold it up to my nose! Aromas of citrus and piney hops, pale malt, fruity esters, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: The tip of the tongue starts off with a sour, acidic lemon punch which gives way into a lovely sweet syrup and pale malt flavor and a small bready flavor. The middle of the palate picks up a light fruity flavor, and the back end finishes up with a nice wallop of bitter piney and grapefruit hops. Alcohol very well disguised, but it's a bit warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, rich, slightly creamy, and medium carbonation. Coats the mouth with a nice thick layer of hop oils.

Drinkability: Extremely high for 8.8% ABV. A lovely sipping beer. Leaves you wanting another sip each time, and goes down extremely well. Not overly filling.

Final Notes: It doesn't actually taste as bitter as the IBUs would let on. Extremely well-balanced and drinkable, and an absolute must to pair against spicy food. If you're a hop lover, check it out.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to my Jeff for bringing me this beer!

Pours cool into a pint glass. Tricerahops (great name, isn't it?!) pours a deep amber orange color with thick tight head. The head lasts a good long time and leaves lots of lace as it settles.

Aroma is super hoppy and full of citrus and pine like a good DIPA should be. Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, and pine needles all come through.

Flavor is very good, very bitter, and a bit of a shock. When Jeff said it was his favorite beer, I had no idea he was such a hophead! It's full of bitter pine, grapefruit, citrus rind, and dank hops. It also has a somewhat toasty malt body with a certain biscuit flavor that was unexpected.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. Easy drinking for the style but the hops have obliterated my tastebuds by about half way through the bomber.

Overall a very good example of the style. I hope to see this in Colorado soon.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

22 oz bomber poured into my tulip glass. Thanks to msubulldog25 for this one!

A - A nice golden amber color. About a finger of creamy white head with a tint of gold sits at the top of the beer. Tons of lacing and some little unfiltered specs floating around the second glass.

S - Tons of citrusy fruit upfront, though not exceptionally strong. Bits of caramel from the malts sit in the background.

T - The grapefruit flavor of the hops hits you first, but there's something different here than the usual Cascade/Centennial forward DIPAs. It's more of a pineapple-grapefruit with hints of lemon and orange. It's a sweet beer, with a bit of a sugary taste that tends to downplay the bittering aspects of the hops as well as the high alcohol content. The bitterness waits till the very end of the sip to hit you.

M - I would say medium bodied and carbonated, maybe a bit light on the former. Dry, but not until the finish.

D - Quality brew with a very interesting hop profile that I really enjoyed. I could see how someone could come away not liking it due to personal taste. It's somewhere in between a DIPA and an Imperial Amber and really pushes the sweet citrus flavors without being as bitter as one would expect from the style. Hopefully I'll come across another bottle some time soon!

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Hop hazed, golden-amber colour with a big, creamy, off-white head. Nice head retention.

Big, tropical fruit aroma with a slightly bitter note (like grapefruit). Plenty of fruity sweetness here. Yum.

Medium to big bitterness is teemed up with masses of tropical hops and lots of flavour. A good malt backbone serves only to support the hops with out being cloying.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Silky.

A really tasty DIPA. This is a great example of the style.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company