1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007)

kurt65, Apr 10, 2013

BESTIALEX, Apr 04, 2013

Asics, Apr 02, 2013

dwagner003, Apr 01, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

big thanks to blackcloud for this awesome extra. consumed from a SN ipa glass.

a - brew poured the classic ipa transparent orange with a big foamy white/off-white head that hung out and left massive chunky lacing. the nucleation on the bottom of the glass really made the carbonation jump from the bottom of the glass. looks great.

s - crisp and clean, almost soapy pine. floral, citric and in general appeasing and nice. not too intense, fairly balanced by the malt, but the hop is the superstar.

t - yum. very tasty. much like the nose, a nice floral fruity hop, but rather balanced with the malt. bouquet of flowers, citric, oranges...with a tad of bitterness of the finish, but hardly so. soft caramel notes in the background.

m - soft and easy drinking finish has subtle bitterness, but mostly fruity and floral.

o - overall, this is a really nice ipa. it was surprising to be a west coast ipa with so much malt presence to balance out the hop. not sure if this is old, but the balance is really nice for west coast. paint me impressed.

cosmicevan, Apr 01, 2013

schopenhauerale, Mar 31, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

zestd, Mar 29, 2013
3.88/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a hazy sunset orange with an off-white, finger width head. Fair retention. Lacing runs from streaky to spotty, with good stick.

Smell - A fair balance in the aroma, bringing a moderate amount of orange citrus and lesser tropical and floral hop notes, with a touch of resin and spice. Malts come through well with bread and a touch of caramel sweetness.

Taste - Hops are more prevalent on the tongue than on the nose, though still relatively balanced by the solid malt backbone. Strong orange character upfront and throughout, more juicy to begin, then fades to a strong pith bitterness. Bready malts provide strong support to the hop assault, coming through with an ever-present quality. Touches on pine and a slight black pepper bite. Finishes with citrus pith/skin bitterness that ranges from orange to grapefruit with long, lingering effects.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full body with moderate, soft carbonation. Smooth, somewhat creamy before a dry finish.

Overall - Strong offering from Ninkasi. I'm a bit perplexed by the name though: a double (not triple) IPA, with 4 hops used in the brewing process... where does 'Tri'cerahops come from? Oh well. Solid brew. Classic West Coast IPA character. Nice balance for a 100 IBU brew.

TheSixthRing, Mar 29, 2013

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

endincolorado, Mar 18, 2013

kennethkearns, Mar 16, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This brewery's been getting a lot of hype in BC. Everywhere I turn, I see NINKASI. I go to Facebook, I see NINKASI being hyped by the distributor. I go to Brewery Creek, I see NINKASI beer in the staff recommendations list. They have NINKASI tap takeovers. Obviously, this brewery has something to prove. I avoided them in the past on account of a friend (hello largoderr) saying he wasn't too impressed with their stuff. He's generally someone whose taste I trust, but at the same time, I couldn't take all the hype anymore. I had to try one of their beers. I was in the mood for some goddamn IPA this evening, so I got a bottle of this, a bottle of Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin and a sixpack of Lagunitas Sucks from Brewery Creek. When I asked the cashier about this beer, he told me that if I liked being punched in the mouth with hops, I would definitely enjoy this. Welp, seeing as my favorite pastime is being abused, assaulted and being held hostage by hops, I assumed this beer would deliver. Sigh. One of these days I'm going to have to stop being so trusting of people.

Where to start with this beer? I guess I'll start by saying that I had a couple of the Lagunitas Sucks bottles first, because I knew they were pretty goddamn amazing (and they were), and then I had the Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin because it was a single IPA so I figured I should have that before having the TRICERAHOPS, because the TRICERAHOPS was a double IPA, you see. Thus, it contained, like, DOUBLE the amount of palate-wrecking hops contained in a meager bomber of Hoppin' Cretin.

Sadly, this beer is completely underwhelming. It pours ok. I guess I'm really bad at gauging a beer's quality by its color (and really, I hardly understand the point of a rating based upon it), but it poured a pretty nice cloudy amber. It smelled... not like a double IPA would smell. The hops were fairly anemic and kinda generic, in the way "wet grass" would smell. The malts were very noticeable in the smell, as well, which is never a great sign in a supposed "hop bomb" double IPA.

The taste was just... bland. Generally, when I have a double IPA, I expect to be smacked down by the hops. It's not masochism on my part, I've just come to expect it from the style. This beer's hop profile could barely compare to the Hoppin' Cretin single IPA I had prior to it. You could definitely tell you were drinking an IPA, but you'd be hard-pressed to pinpoint any exact flavors or aromas. When your double IPA fails to overpower or, hell, even stack up to a single IPA, you have some issues on your hands.

Initial mouthfeel isn't bad. Good carbonation, decent crispness from the hops, but then the malt just overpowers everything else. This sort of malt backing would be ideal to an overpowered, 11% IPA with an obscene amount of hops (like Hop Henge, maybe). In this beer, though, it just overpowers everything and just makes it kinda sweet and slightly cloying.

Maybe I didn't have the freshest bottle. I wouldn't know, since NINKASI (HYPE HYPE HYPE) doesn't date their bottles. I've been running into this problem quite often recently. Breweries, seriously, how about you start dating your goddamn IPAs? Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'd have many of the same qualms with it even fresh. At 8.8% ABV, I can't see the hop profile balancing out the huge malt body this beer has.

Overall, I think this is proof that hyping a beer to hell and back works. 91 rating on BA? Seriously? There are way better examples of double IPAs in Oregon, Washington, and, hell, even in BC, Canada. They don't have an awesome hype campaign like this brewery, though, so they're nowhere near as well known.

HYPE IS AWESOME NINKASI HYPE HYPE BEST BEER (if you like things that suck)

smekermann, Mar 16, 2013
3.81/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had no idea what Ninkasi was a few months ago. Now it's in every single beer shop in this town. Let's see what the buzz is.

A: Pours a fairly hazy beaten copper, with only about a finger off white head. Retention is subdued, lacing is minimal. Ah, the nature of the high octane D/TIPA. Carbonation is fairly vigorous, with tiny bubbles fighting through the ethanol to form the head.

S: Big hop scent. Lot of leafiness, pine and orange pulp. Pineapple notes in there as well, but more subdued. Bit of alcohol heat accentuates the malt sweetness, giving it characteristics of caramel and vanilla. Lot of mulled grain and bread in the nose. The malt bill must be massive.

T: Begins with a huge malt sweetness that borders cloying. Hops comes in with notes of pine, leafiness/woodiness, and a splash of tropical fruit. Finish is oily and resinous bitterness with a bit of the alcohol heat coming through as sweetness.

M: Pretty massive considering the relatively moderate (for a DIPA) abv. Perhaps a bit over the top, with some flabbiness.

O: A good, very bitter DIPA. However, the underlying sweetness of the malt/alcohol is poorly hidden and the mouthfeel is a bit unctuous.

McStagger, Mar 16, 2013