Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007)
3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Fred Meyer poured into a Bullwinkle pint glass at Grandma's (usually I don't mention that kind of stuff but it seemed funny). Pours a slightly hazy dull orange with two fingers of egg shell colored head. The nose is strongly citrusy, lots of grapefruit and some orange and lemon with just a touch of piney hops. The malt is there but is definitely subdued as compared to the nose. The taste is more of the same with a good dryness. After I swallow I get a distinctly cannabis flavor in my mouth that wasn't really there on the nose. The mouthfeel was good but nothing special. Overall this is a solid DIPA and if it were readily available to me in my area I would definitely pick it up on occasion.

quirkzoo, Nov 20, 2011

nmann08, Nov 18, 2011

oline73, Nov 16, 2011

sideshowe, Nov 15, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass and a tulip; served immediately from fridge. Sampled cold, and let it warm up to see if the taste and aromas changed.

Appearance: Orangey-golden hue. Very little carbonation with tiny bubbles with little to no head, and no remnants of lacing. Suspect that this might be a dud of a bottle.

Smell and aromas: Subtle notes of sour lemon, and sauerkraut. Since this is a DIPA style and is advertised on the bottle to have double hops, malt, and alcohol, I had assumed that this would have a strong and rich floral aroma with citrus notes. Plus with a name that evokes massive size of dinosaurs, I assumed this would be a hop head beer. I was surprised because the aromas were flat, and seemed to waft up slowly when giving the glass a whirl.

Taste: Bitter, with very subtle hop, slightly sour, and a spicy finish on the swallow. While there is little carbonation in the glass, the beer gave a bitter bite which was improved with the carbonation in the mouth. The beer had an astringent quality, with less notable “big hops” but had a slightly sour finish. If you are looking for a bright, hoppy DIPA with floral and citrus notes, this is not the beer. However, as it warmed, the carbonation seemed to give the beer some bite. I am not seeing how this is a DIPA, it seemed like a regular IPA.

Mouthfeel: Little to no coating, bitter on the finish which leaves a dry mouth, and gets you ready for that next sip. The body of the beer is watery and thin. I think this would complement slightly spicy food (such as Indian or Thai).

Overall: I really wanted to like this beer because I love DIPA’s. Although it was not what I expected (to be clear, I was looking for a big floral nose of lychee and citrus - but I am not holding this beer to my expectation) I stuck with it to see how the flavor may change. This is where I picked up spice, and thought about how the beer may be an excellent choice with ethnic foods. To me, beer styles should be creative and flexible, so if you are a DIPA lover, or getting into them, I would recommend a quaff.

slammgrass, Nov 15, 2011

rrock44, Nov 15, 2011

Adamostella, Nov 14, 2011

sacrelicio, Nov 14, 2011

22oz bomber split into tulip

A. Glowing golden Orange with good clarity. 2 finger head in the form of thousands of perfectly round tiny bubbles of carbonation bonded in tight cohesion.

S. Citrus, pine, grapefruit and grassy freshness, a lot of aroma hops have been used in this one.

T. Great dry citrus hops hit first, mild malt subdue slightly, but the hops sure stand on their own and take center stage. 8.8% abv is amazingly hidden in this wonderful earthy and refreshing Dipa.

M. Crisp, clean, but hop munchyness and flavors coat the mouth and leave a remarkably nice flavor on the palate.

O. Awesome DIPA, I can't really find one bad thing to say about it. This would be one of my go to dipa's if it was available in my area.

Centennial, Nov 08, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A. A slightly hazy orange-copper colour with some vigorous carbonation and a persistent white head.

S. The aroma is strongly bready at first, giving way to some citrus notes.

T. An immediate hit of grapefruit. It's not overpowering so there must be some balancing malt sweetness in there but I have to concentrate to taste it, and when I do it comes with strong hints of toffee. This is a citrus hop bomb for sure.

M. Medium-bodied, slightly bitter finish, and the carbonation that looked so lively at first pour is thankfully unobtrusive.

O. Nice, but a shade one-dimensional. It's just all about grapefruit. It could definitely be more rounded.

omnigrits, Oct 03, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +3%

Murky dark orange to light brown body with fizzy carbonation and a 1-1/2 finger off white head with a yellow tinge that leaves behind decent lacing.

Interesting smell and taste. Very fruity and bursting with grapefruit and lychee along with some sugar cane and bready malts. Overall, pretty dry. The floral and tropical highlights are quite intriguing. Smoothly bittered, but VERY bitter, yet quite aromatic at the same time (you usually don't get both at high marks). Very different from what I have sampled so far. Points for uniqueness.

Creamy mouthfeel. Strange, but appealing. Moderately high body with a decent amount of fizzy carbonation up front that quickly dissipates.

aficionado, Oct 02, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +3%

Appearance:
-massive yellow head that doesn’t quit (after a vigorous pour)--little valleys appear in it
-crazy thick lacing all the way down

Smell:
-sweet toffee and some floral hops

Mouthfeel:
-lighter than I expected from the appearance and smell, but still great
-only criticism (and I admit I’m nitpicking) is the presence of some wateriness

Taste:
-very sweet malt toffee (just like the smell) that overpowers/covers a good deal of the hop bitterness (I would expect more to come through up front in a DIPA)
-citrus hops pair well with the sweetness
-there is an constant underlying alcohol feel and taste

Overall:
-My first from this brewery, and I will absolutely try some of their other offerings. I really enjoyed this one, but wasn’t as crazy about it as my girlfriend. It’s her new favorite beer.

evyoung, Sep 23, 2011