Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007)
4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

twelveinches, Nov 29, 2011

jenray, Nov 29, 2011

Of course, my current favourite beer of all time - a double IPA - is only sold in select places 50km from my house, so I can't enjoy it as much as I'd like. Sigh.

Tricerahops is truly a wonder to behold. A glorious ornage/golden cloudy colour, enough hops to make your head spin, but with subtle fruity undertones (but not too fruity) makes this an exception hop-bomb you can enjoy. I first tried this beer on tap at the Great Canadian Beer Festival in Victoria, BC - and ever since, I've loved this beer and nearly anything I've tried from Ninkasi Brewing.

I simply must find a way to get more of this one. At 8.8% ABV and a ridiculous amount of IBUs, you may initially pay a premium for the beer's deliciosity but it's a slow drinker so it will last a while - but it's really easy to down as well, despite its alcohol content, so be forwarned.

I have one sitting in my fridge waiting for a special occasion (Christmas or New Years, at this point) but I am desperately looking for more of this one.

I don't have a problem...I just absolutely adore this beer. This is the first beer I've ever given a 5.0 rating to across the board, and I stand by it 100%.

timtwoface, Nov 28, 2011

rhino54, Nov 27, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Bright amber going lighter tangerine towards the edges with creamy taupe head that fades to film but leaves chunky soapy trailers. Nose it lots of grapefruit rind with some fruit punch and a touch of leafy sourness.
Juicy raspberry and mango, sugar cookie like BN says, with citrus (tangelo? pink grapefruit?) and resin hops.
Baby aspirin/orange sorbet finish and astringent linger. Medium, chewy, amazingly no burn, some sticky.

Properly bitter linger but juicy (if not sticky) early on so that it balances. Not hoppy enough to be a full on DIPA - don't believe 100 IBU for a second - but tasty enough that I don't mind. Main thing here is how the creamy body and buried ABV make it so drinkable. Not to style but better for it.

Thanks to Chris and Ina for sending this my way from SF.

StJamesGate, Nov 22, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: dark orange in color with a merangue like thick head that slowly falls to a spotty foam. Thick lace paints the glass.

Smell: loads of pine, grapefruit, and earthy hop presence dominates the aroma.

Taste: big caramel flavor with an great balance of pine, grapefruit, biscuit, pears, and a bold bitterness that does not go over the top like some in the style.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness late.

Overall: this was a super fresh DIPA that was so well balanced I had to have two in the session. Refreshing and totally satisfying, I returned to the same bar to have it two nights in a row.

Gavage, Nov 22, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Fred Meyer poured into a Bullwinkle pint glass at Grandma's (usually I don't mention that kind of stuff but it seemed funny). Pours a slightly hazy dull orange with two fingers of egg shell colored head. The nose is strongly citrusy, lots of grapefruit and some orange and lemon with just a touch of piney hops. The malt is there but is definitely subdued as compared to the nose. The taste is more of the same with a good dryness. After I swallow I get a distinctly cannabis flavor in my mouth that wasn't really there on the nose. The mouthfeel was good but nothing special. Overall this is a solid DIPA and if it were readily available to me in my area I would definitely pick it up on occasion.

quirkzoo, Nov 20, 2011

nmann08, Nov 18, 2011

oline73, Nov 16, 2011

sideshowe, Nov 15, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass and a tulip; served immediately from fridge. Sampled cold, and let it warm up to see if the taste and aromas changed.

Appearance: Orangey-golden hue. Very little carbonation with tiny bubbles with little to no head, and no remnants of lacing. Suspect that this might be a dud of a bottle.

Smell and aromas: Subtle notes of sour lemon, and sauerkraut. Since this is a DIPA style and is advertised on the bottle to have double hops, malt, and alcohol, I had assumed that this would have a strong and rich floral aroma with citrus notes. Plus with a name that evokes massive size of dinosaurs, I assumed this would be a hop head beer. I was surprised because the aromas were flat, and seemed to waft up slowly when giving the glass a whirl.

Taste: Bitter, with very subtle hop, slightly sour, and a spicy finish on the swallow. While there is little carbonation in the glass, the beer gave a bitter bite which was improved with the carbonation in the mouth. The beer had an astringent quality, with less notable “big hops” but had a slightly sour finish. If you are looking for a bright, hoppy DIPA with floral and citrus notes, this is not the beer. However, as it warmed, the carbonation seemed to give the beer some bite. I am not seeing how this is a DIPA, it seemed like a regular IPA.

Mouthfeel: Little to no coating, bitter on the finish which leaves a dry mouth, and gets you ready for that next sip. The body of the beer is watery and thin. I think this would complement slightly spicy food (such as Indian or Thai).

Overall: I really wanted to like this beer because I love DIPA’s. Although it was not what I expected (to be clear, I was looking for a big floral nose of lychee and citrus - but I am not holding this beer to my expectation) I stuck with it to see how the flavor may change. This is where I picked up spice, and thought about how the beer may be an excellent choice with ethnic foods. To me, beer styles should be creative and flexible, so if you are a DIPA lover, or getting into them, I would recommend a quaff.

slammgrass, Nov 15, 2011