Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Ninkasi website:
"8.8%alc./vol. 100+ ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007)
DovaliHops

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a slightly clouded orange-golden color with a large white head with a hint of yellow. Aroma is very pleasant. Nice hoppy scent with LOTS of pineapple. I get a ton of tropical fruit in the nose of this DIPA. Lots of mango as well. Taste is very similar. Usually I get the citrus fruits from DIPAs...a lot of times I get melon flavors as well. This one definitely has a tropical fruit profile. The tropical fruits definitely overpower all other flavors, even the mild hoppiness. This beer tastes great, but would be SO MUCH better if the hops we're as "in your face" as the tropical fruit flavors. Mouthfeel is fairly nice, although possibly a bit watery. Drinkability is high. Great beer overall.

12-24-2010 09:32:50 | More by DovaliHops
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

Had this on tap at Henry's Taproom in Portland. Pours a dark orange colour with about a finger of head. Some mild lacing down the side of the glass. Smells of strong citrus hops with some oily pine hops creeping in as well. Lots of caramel malt backbone too. Flavour is fairly bitter, though the sweetness balances this off pretty well. Nice carbonation level. I wasn't impressed with the Total Domination bottle I had, but this one was nice.

12-23-2010 04:04:47 | More by kwjd
billab914

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured a hazy copper color with a modest white head to it. The head faded to a thin sticky covering and immediately started to leave some thick sheets of lacing.

The aroma not surprisingly shows mostly hops to it. It has some grapefruit and pine, along with some hints of pineapple and mango. It's not overly intense with hops compared to other versions of the style, but it's nice.

The taste also has a lot of hoppy flavors going on. It starts out with some sweeter flavors coming through with some hints of some tropical, fruity, hoppy flavors. As you get to the finish more of the grapefruit and pine come through to give it more of a bitterness. The grapefruit bitterness lingers for a while too.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate. Drinkability is good, it was a pretty nice hoppy beer. I didn't find it overly intense with hops, but the hops were nicely done and flavorful. I really liked the bit of tropical like hoppy flavors I got out of it. Pretty nice beer overall.

12-19-2010 22:19:32 | More by billab914
SecondSandwich

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

I lived in Portland, OR for the last couple years and Ninkasi was available just about everywhere you look (God, I miss Portland). Their "Total Domination IPA" was one of my go to beers and is one of the best in its price range. The "Tricerahops Double IPA" is a delicious step up from its tasty nephew. A bit more pricey, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying my fare share of this scrumptious brew.
Now, I am not up on beer terminology (despite being an avid craft beer consumer) so forgive me if my description is "unconventional". I'll also have you know that I am heavily biased toward IPAs and the double/imperial IPAs in particular.
I have had the Tricerahops many-a-time in the bottle and have been lucky enough to discover it on tap on at least one occasion. The Tricerahops has a light-ish amber color and somewhat of a flowery aroma. In terms of taste, it really packs a nice punch. It delivers a lot "on the front end" as I like to say. It has a nice, crisp hoppy attack. It has a lot of treble and mid-range flavor. However, it doesn't really have much of that bass-y complexity that comes out about mid-taste with some other double IPAs (the Hercules Double from Great Divide for example, mmm). That being said, I don't think that bassy flavor was intended with this beer. It is more of a zippy, refreshing, deliciously hoppy (and high gravity) treat to enjoy when you are out on the patio in the summer or autumn.

Bottom line, if you like IPAs, you will love the Tricerahops. Also, if you haven't really experienced the Ninkasi Brewing company (I have not seen it outside the west coast, unfortunately) I would recommend seeking them out. I have not been disappointed by anything I have tried from them.
Cheers!

12-13-2010 16:55:35 | More by SecondSandwich
demuzik

2.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance is a clear copper-goldish, light carbonation (a tad lighter than typical for the style), served with little to no head.

Not much head retention, near to no lacing.

Flavor is certainly not bad, but I did not rate high seeing as they market this as a "double IPA" and therefore I expect much; this came in at a normal IPA range for IBU's and gravity, at least taste and mouthfeel wise.

Aroma is certainly this guy's thing; much dry hopping for great complexity and inviting sniffs.

Not so drinkable, this is one that wares on you half way through and you are looking towards the next beer in a more favorable genre; could definitely use a better balance of malt.

12-09-2010 20:40:01 | More by demuzik
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz bomber.

Pours a rich, creamy dark orange. The head is crazy on my beer, very creamy with good retention and sticky lacing. Nice.

The smell isn't as strongly hoppy as I figured, but still bery nice. Citrus, hops, spices.

Taste is very smooth and creamy. The hops are NOT overwhelming. Very balanced with the other floral and citrus flavors. A little citrus hop bite in the backend but not overwhelming.

Feels creamy and rich on the tongue, but it leaves you hoping for a few more rich flavors.

Pretty drinkable. Not too much of anything.

I hoped for more but still a good beer.

12-08-2010 19:49:45 | More by Scotchboy
Zorro

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Chill hazed copper colored ale with a tall off-white colored head.

Strong hops in the scent with the scents of toast and tobacco being the strongest, strange. Abundant ethanol carries a melon scent. Scents of leather and caramel smell something like British Imperial Pale Ale.

Starts out woody and herbal with a hop and strong tea flavor. Getting lots of herbal hops with this one and very little C Type Hops. Mostly this is just very herbal.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability is OK. The taste of this one is very different; I would classify this as an Imperial BPA.

12-06-2010 00:35:04 | More by Zorro
glazeman

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Split with airohead2001, thanks for sharing this with me.

A: Dark orange in color with a 1 finger off-white head. Moderate retention and lacing on the head. I got the second half of the bottle, and my pour had a ton of floaties in it.

S: A little bit of sweet fruit on the nose, but overall not that strong of a smell.

T: The drink starts with a semi-sweet orange flavor up front. Then there is a lot of hop bitterness in the middle as well as some pine. The finish is a medium metallic taste with some bitterness as well. I feel that the overall balance of this beer is a little to far toward the malt end of the spectrum for what I would expect of this style. It does have a pretty good taste though.

M: About what you'd expect with this style. Medium-body with a good level of carbonation.

D: Fairly high drinkability, although somewhat hindered by this being on the sweeter side. The alcohol is undetectable.

12-05-2010 03:10:16 | More by glazeman
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Big thanks goes out to Pullen for this as an extra in an in-person trade quite awhile back! Served from bottle into a Delerium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy red-orange with a one finger off-white head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and citrus hops. The flavor was of sweet malt and citrus hops as well. It had a medium feel on the palate with low-mid carbonation. Overall this brew is quite excellently balanced. Have a very nice aroma and flavor going on here. Probably one of top IIPA's that I've had. Massive thanks again John for this one!

11-19-2010 12:31:59 | More by thagr81us
rowingbrewer

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

had this one on tap while visiting family in seattle

appearance- deep golden to reddish color strong head that left lacing as it faded.

smell- a very citrusy fruity hop aroma

taste- it had this amazing citrus flavor to it kind of a passion fruit thing going on. really one of the best tasting IPAs i have had

Mouthfeel- each sip left me wanting more my mouth practically craved more

Drinkability- very drinkable beer I wish it was in MA

11-18-2010 19:01:46 | More by rowingbrewer
turnerr79

Washington

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

Medium head that launched floral hops fragrance into the stratosphere.

Nose of fragrant valley hops. The brew itself does not retain the sweet hoppiness, and blasts more of a bitter deep malty flavor. The aftertaste is on the bitter side of bitter.

A spike of the 8.8 abv pierces the the tongue. Complex flavor, but not a good IPA.
A bitters freak might enjoy this, but not me.

I will not purchase this brew again.

11-14-2010 04:37:01 | More by turnerr79
OhSoHoppy

3.95/5  rDev -2%

From a bottle to a glass this beer poured out as a nice light caramel color. the head was light and frothy, and a little strung out, This beer was strong in flavor but i never would have guessed that its ABV was so high base on the taste. decent amount hops even for a double. enjoyable and definitely worth the purchase but I don't think i will buy it again any time soon.

11-08-2010 20:41:09 | More by OhSoHoppy
Stigs

4.15/5  rDev +3%

22oz bottle split with thebouch01 - served in a Stone Levitation glass

A - pours with half an inch of creamy, off-white foam. immediately leaves behind some sticky, spotty lacing as it settles. the beer is moderately hazy, burnt orange in color.

S - citrus heavy, with mangos and ripe melon alongside orange rinds. assertive sweet malt base full of rich caramel.

T - immediately a strong and forceful bitterness overwhelms the mouth. hop flavors of pineapple and grapefruit meld with notes of wet pine. solid sweet malts are present yet let the hops do most of the talking.

M - medium bodied with moderate carbonation. rich and creamy yet also a touch sticky during and after the swallow. lingering strong hoppy bitterness with a mild alcohol burn.

D - solid DIPA here. nothing too crazy or unique, yet just gets the job done. good amount of balance but still west coast through and through.

11-04-2010 16:01:05 | More by Stigs
seand

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Pours a cloudy orange amber with a thick foamy off-white head. Retains well, leaving long strands of lacing.

S: Floral, grassy, hoppy sweetness. The malt background is pretty light, mainly hops here.

T: Medium sweetness leading into a huge hop finish. Quite a strong bitterness. The malts are still pretty light, so they don't do much to balance out the onslaught of hops.

M: Full body, medium to light carbonation. Dry chewy finish.

D: The hops are so overpowering you want to take this one slow, and you probably don't want much more than a pint.

10-30-2010 04:15:07 | More by seand
Thorpe429

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate orange color with a white head. The nose brings some floral and citrus hops with a bit of rind. The taste is bitter, but doesn't have the bright hop characteristics of the nose. Some light grain and booze in the background. Good bitter and alcohol balance. Pretty good, but doesn't really take it to the next level.

10-29-2010 23:25:25 | More by Thorpe429
flexabull

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a bright orange color with a pretty nice white head.

Aromas are of bright citrus, grapefruits, oranges, and hard candies. This is a nice smelling DIPA, with lots of citrus hop notes.

Taste starts of with a sugary creamy malt backdrop. Beer then settles into a mixture of citrus hops flavors, starts out a little bit tart and sour, then finishes bitter, with candied grapefruit, and hints a resin.

Mouthfeel is nice. Full and smooth, with good carbonation.

Drinkability is good. This is a very fine DIPA, drinks easy, with very nice hop flavors that are balanced with a nice malt backbone. I am impressed with how easy drinking this is, reminds me more of an IPA. Well done Ninkasi!

10-28-2010 03:43:14 | More by flexabull
CaptainTripps

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

bomber poured into a pint glass.

A- Brownish-orange color. Slightly hazy. Excellent 2 fingers worth of head. Great retention, amazing amount of lacing.

S- Fruity hops, carmel malts are present. Man does this thing smell good.

T- Fruity hops and malts dominate. While the taste is much more calmer then the smell, it is still amazing. I would say mango meets grapefruit on this one. Citrus finish. Hops not to over the top. Alcohol well hidden

(reviewer note: as the beer warmed up a little bit, alcohol was a little more present but nothing to harm the taste.)

M- Smooth and almost creamy, different from most DIPA I have had. Good amount of carbonation.

D- Very high for this is a very tasty brew. I believe this is an excellent representation of the style. One of my favorite DIPA's around. Good job Ninkasi.

10-19-2010 06:45:03 | More by CaptainTripps
augustgarage

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Dogfish Head oversized snifter.

Very slightly hazy coral liquid with an amber glow and a lasting soapy ivory head. Dense yet thin lacing pastes the sides of the glass, a swirl creates sparkling hieroglyphics that slide apart like a Tibetan sand mandala.

Sweet hoppy aromatics with hints of candied ginger, orange blossom honey, grapefruit zest, and a touch of spice.

Moderately bitter palate entry is offset right away by the malt which impedes the development of hop flavors in some ways. The resulting balance creates a sort of flattening of tastes. Herbaceous notes cut through suggesting evergreen, eucalyptus, and thyme. Vague citrus floats around in the background. Orange zest, bready pale malt, and light fusel notes round out the finish.

Creamy, but slightly thin, yet well carbonated. More warming than the ABV would initially suggest.

Lacks the depth of malt I have come to anticipate from many NW style IPAs - while the hop and alcohol levels are ramped up in this "Imperial" brew, the overall picture is a bit muddled.

10-19-2010 02:17:29 | More by augustgarage
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from the bomber into my Duvel tulip. Got this one thanks to my awesome mom on her trip to Oregon.

A - Hazy orange body with a nice off white head resting on top

S - Citrus and tropical hop notes with a bit of sweetness. I got to really stick my nose in this to smell it but it does smell good.

T - More citrus in the taste mixes with a pale malt flavor. Finishes with a mix of citrus and sweet malt flavor. Pretty balanced but a nice grapefruity flavor. Not too bitter.

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky a bit more than normal amount of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. Well balanced. Certainly not the best DIPA out there but a solid take on the style. I'm glad I got to try this one and the name is awesome. Worth trying and I would drink this again but I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it.

10-18-2010 22:51:54 | More by jpmclaug
SolomonGrundy

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Waiting for the DirecTV dudes always makes me wanna drink. SHOW UP ALREADY!!!!

Moving right along....

Pours a beautiful hazy amber with 'bout a finger o' creamy head that settles into a tiny crown, leaving decent lacing. Very well carbonated, which is nice. Wonderful pungent hop aromas abound. Lot's of pine, maybe some pineapple, some vanilla even rolling around in there. Very robust aromas, I like...Flavor has a great feel to it. Isn't just a massive hop bomb, but of course it's very West Coast hoppy (meaning a lot of hops!!). There are some nbeat things in the initial burst of flavor - something akin to a little mary-jane playing around in there. Different and unique, and I think it works well, actually. Flavors eveolve in this one, I get some alcohol in the middle and finish, and run into pineapple, and maybe lavendar along the way. This is good and unique, in my opinion.

What I like Most: How the flavor profile evolves.

What I like Least: The finish carries a little too much alcohol.

Verdict: Very good and definitely worth seeking out.

10-12-2010 19:29:36 | More by SolomonGrundy
Arbitrator

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Re-review. First time I had this (courtesy of end 0))), I gave it an A.

A: Pours a clear copper / orange / gold with half a finger of off-white head with several minutes of good retention, thanks to the continual refreshing by generous effervescence up the glass. Recedes to a nice film on the glass with dribbles of sticky lacing down the sides.

S: Primarily fruity hops: peach, pineapple, lychee, and of course grapefruit. Also has a nice undercurrent of sweet caramel and toffee malt. I'm glad to experience such a fresh nose on this one. It's quite nice.

T: All fruit up front, with the aroma components each making a play: peach and lychee in the initial taste, a tart pineapple, and citric grapefruit laying the groundwork. However, amongst the fruit, caramel, toffee, bread, and sugar cookie are very strong. This beer is a step removed from being a barleywine. Don't get me wrong; it's fresh and enamel-peeling, but I'm not blown away by the ratio of hop to malt.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Some alcohol burn, which is surprising at [only] 8.8%. A very small metallic aftertaste makes me a little annoyed by the end of the bomber, but it's fairly mild.

D: I enjoyed this one, and I'd certainly get more of it if I can be assured freshness. At $4 a bomber, I think it's very fairly priced. Now, it's no A-level DIPA on the level of Pliny and Alpine offerings, and it lags a little behind an upper-tier B like Hop Stoopid, but I'm comfortable giving it something in the lower B range.

10-04-2010 08:41:32 | More by Arbitrator
clarkm04

Nebraska

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

From a 22 ounce bomber

Appearance- Deep amber color with a very white and foamy head. Decent carbonation

Smell- Very floral (as you would expect from a DIPA). Predominant smells are pine, citrus, and a hint of grassy smell but much heavier on the pine and citrus.

Taste- A explosion of citrus predominant the front taste followed by a strong bittering note that dovetails into another nice citrus finish.

Mouthfeel- Outstanding. Very smooth which is surprising for a beer with 8.8% along with being a DIPA. Easily the best mouthful I've ever tried on a DIPA.

Drinkability- Fairly good for a double IPA. I could drink maybe at most two of these a night given copious amount of hops and the higher ABV.

Overall- A very good example. I'm trying to be fair since I just returned from GABF and was able to drink Pliny the Elder three days in a row. I was bummed when I went to their tent and they were completely out. This beer is clearly not as balanced as Pliny but it's a great DIPA. I definitely love IPA/DIPA with less bittering hops, more floral/aroma hops and lots of citrus taste so this hits the spot.

09-22-2010 01:50:31 | More by clarkm04
Elimination

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap for only two bucks he'll yes!

Look is a beautiful copper orange thin white head

Smell strong grapefruit sweet pine overall one of the best smelling dipa I have ever had

Taste is superb strong malt sweet hop ibis coming through pine citrus

Mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had real thick but not trying to be sludge just great

Overall one of my fav nw beers out there

09-13-2010 19:45:39 | More by Elimination
boralyl

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

A - From a 22oz bottle it pours a hazy golden orange into the glass. It produces 2 fingers of white head that has decent retention and leaves some very nice lacing.

S - Piny and grassy hops paired with a caramel malt. It's not very pungent, and I am not sure I like the way the aroma meld together.

M - Medium in body with average carbonation. It contains a slight syrupiness.

T - A caramel sweetness up front followed by some grassy, lemony, and piny hops. A syrupy sweetness comes up in the finish with a mild bitterness.

An OK Imperial IPA. It's not terrible, but after having a few Imperial IPAs during my trip, this one just seems very average.

09-12-2010 03:41:19 | More by boralyl
oc0dyc

Washington

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

A - 4" Thick white head, dark golden brown
S - Smells very strongly of Piney hops (I have trouble detecting much of anything else from most IPAs)
T - Mild IPA flavors, not as hoppy as the nose suggests, though compared to something like DFH 90min this is tame (which I think works in its favor). A slight citrusy finish
M - Moderately heavy with good drinkability. Great aftertaste - not that overwhelming almost metallic flavor.
I got another one to put in my fridge, this one is going to stay toward the front of the fridge

09-05-2010 17:39:08 | More by oc0dyc