2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Ninkasi website:
"8.8%alc./vol. 100+ ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 07-30-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 900 | Reviews: 363 | Show All Ratings:
cbros

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a dark straw yellow with a nice eggshell white medium head. Good cling and nice head retention. There is some carbonation activity after the poor.

S- Nice big hop aroma,pine and citrus notes present.

T- Nice hoppy flavor that is balanced perfectly. Good flavor combination of sweet malt and the citrus from the hops. Smooth start that finishes somewhat dry.

I orginally had this in Eugene while there for a Ducks game and thought it was kickass. So much so that I finally broke down and ordered a few bottles from Bottletrek. Beautiful flavor combinations that mask its strength. If this were available here this could definately be in my regular rotation. I have been throughly impressed with everything that Ninkasi has put out. In my dreams/future I am living in Oregon and buying and drinking this on a regular basis. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of my visit to Eugene more and buy way more of this than I did. I got caught up in trying as many beers as possible instead of sticking with what I liked the best. Can't wait to have this again. Excellent beer, great representative of an Imperial IPA. "If you have the means I highly recommend picking it up."

04-12-2009 00:45:26 | More by cbros
gregmoscetti

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer was not kidding. Its poor graphic design and relatively unknown brewery lead me to believe that i was buying a dud, but something in my heart said push on. to buy... two... Now that i think about it that was probably my childhood (and continuing) love of the triceratops.

Definitely the most bad ass of plant eating dinos, I gave this beer blind hope and was rewarded with a delicious DIPA.

The nose was citrus, grassy pine, fresh bread and a hint of dinosaur blood (probably extracted from an amber bound mosquito. The taste was sweeter/creamier than any west coast IPA i have had since Bear Republic's Apex. Reminded me of a less over the top version of FFF's apocalypse cow. It was extremely balanced and very very delicious.

03-01-2010 19:19:42 | More by gregmoscetti
LagerThanLife

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

the malt and the hop flavors make this beer for me. I know that sounds stupid because what (besides yeast) the hell else would you be tasting bud? right? I know, however, a lot of IPAs I have had recently, now that they make up like 90% of the 22ozers at my liquor store :( , have been really bitter and really sweet which i guess = balanced, but i cound't for the life of me find another tasting note for them.
HOWEVER, this beer, this beer is bursting with both flavor and subtlety. malt flavor is rich but not over powering (2 row, munich and carahell) i dont know much about carahell and now i am interested. the hops bring bitterness, but alos complex tropical fruit aromas and spiciness.
this is an all around great IPA

06-19-2012 21:06:31 | More by LagerThanLife
cswhitehorse

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The Tricerhops pours a cloudy light autumn orange with a solid 1-2 finger foam head. There was some intermittent lacing that left its mark.

The aroma is heaven for a hop head like myself. I could glean the lovely cascade smell with some real sweetness.

The taste was really smooth with not alot of bite but a lot of hop flavor. It was like drinking a DIPA ice cream cone. On the finish there was some dank bitterness that left a pleasant feeling in the mouth. Overall a wonderful effort by the Eugene brewers. I would drink this just about any day of the week.

05-07-2008 01:34:08 | More by cswhitehorse
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to unclejedi for bringing me down tis bottle, which was hads down one of the best, fruity IPA's I have ever had. Served cold and poured into a tall pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 12/29/2008.

The pour was very nice, rich dark amber in color with a light amount of cloudiness and haze. Rich looking with a nice head of about two inches in height and a nice fade into sticky side glass lacing.

The aroma was unreal. Rich fruity notes of peach and orange, hints of lemon and tangerine, so sweet and rich I was beside myself. Not the pungent bitter hops, the light, sweet, fruity notes that I loved. The flavor was more of the same, super sweet light orange and tangerine notes, hints of pineapple and light biscuit malts in the backround. Long sweet, and bitter,dry finish was superb as well. Smooth, mellow carbonation was done just right with an ease of drinkability that had me very impressed with every bit of the 8+ percent no where to be found.

Again one of the best big IPA's I have ever had. This was so well done and so well balanced and fresh I was just amazed. I have to look for this one again soon.

12-30-2008 02:57:13 | More by mikesgroove
gameface23

A: Hazy golden orange. Silky & sticky lacing

S: Grapefruit rind, orange blossoms, and a generous dose of crystal malt.

T: Juicy, fresh squeezed oranges, an uplifting amount of bitterness, and a healthy dollop of toffeeish caramel malt

M: Velvety smooth. It really keeps the 100+ IBU's in check and creates a nice experience.

D: A very nice offering.

01-09-2011 04:15:07 | More by gameface23
Immortale25

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks a bunch SatlyMalty! Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch white head that doesn't retain long before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and random tufts of surface foam. Splotchy lacing.

S- Effervescent hop aroma that's citrusy and grassy. Notes of grapefruit, pine and some astringency from the alcohol

T- The hops sink their teeth in and then let go like they were almost never there. The bitterness is so abrupt but subtle. There's a splash of tropical fruit flavor like grapefruit, orange zest and lemon but it all quickly recedes leaving a dry finish with a modest lingering bite. Alcohol is nicely subdued.

M- Oily and crisp with medium carbonation and an average body.

O- I rarely find an IPA that can be this hoppy yet still be so balanced and restrained. Definitely the best I've had from Ninkasi thus far.

10-26-2012 01:38:29 | More by Immortale25
Nay

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle brought via Iowa (thanks Dan and Jean!), delicious: worthy of "double IPA" distinction. Stronger than IPA at 8.8 ABV and bitterness level, yet not syrupy, sweet, or indigestible like a barleywine. Malty yet dry. A real clone-worthy beer. Aroma good, but a bit more hops would have been nice, but not unexpected from a bottle. Must get more.

02-24-2012 22:12:06 | More by Nay
Elimination

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap for only two bucks he'll yes!

Look is a beautiful copper orange thin white head

Smell strong grapefruit sweet pine overall one of the best smelling dipa I have ever had

Taste is superb strong malt sweet hop ibis coming through pine citrus

Mouthfeel is one of the best I've ever had real thick but not trying to be sludge just great

Overall one of my fav nw beers out there

09-13-2010 19:45:39 | More by Elimination
msubulldog25

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Well, I'll forgive the misspelling of "Tricerahops" for such a fine beer; enjoyed this pint at Henry's Tavern, 9/7/2007.

A: Pours a hazy, amber/orange with a 1/4 " cap of creamy head; light soap bubbles and a thin film of frosty cream as it settles. Slow carbonation rising sporadically. Modest lace in thin bands.

S: Big aroma of fresh hop cones; purely citrus and pine. It's nothing intricate, just bold and full, with an ample dose of caramel malt.

T: Oh, wow. Superb balance; it's understandable why this won the Concordia Cup recently as favorite DIPA. Outstanding balance, I was very impressed by the melding of sweet/sugary and chewy caramel malt with a burst of citrus. Bitter bite is minimal in the end, coming off as gently pithy but pleasingly floral and herbal.

M: Silky, medium-full mouthfeel. Nothing syrupy/heavy, just a smooth an balanced feel that expertly masks that nearly 10% alcohol heat.

D: One of the most drinkable DIPAs I've enjoyed. Quite well-balanced, with malt and caramel flavors mashing up beautifully with orange/citrus hoppiness.
This may be my new favorite of the ubiquitous NW IPAs - a treasure worth seeking out!

09-08-2007 02:47:08 | More by msubulldog25
cbarrett4

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Nonic. Tasted several times from various taps in the Portland area.

This is basically an amped up version of Total Domination. More hops, more alcohol, more body, more more more!!! (Do I feel a Billy Idol song coming on?)

A - Typical yet quality IPA appearance, good straw-gold hue with some haze, a nice head and decently persistent lace.

S - Richly aromatic with lots of fresh hops and spice, some hints of citrus and pine.

T - Lots more of the citrus, hops, and spice.

M - Here is where this beer really differs from Total Domination. This is massive, structured, and intense with a soft character to the tannins that prevent this from being way too astringent.

D - It just calls you back for more. This is such a massive IPA, yet balanced and complex. The texture and alcohol are so perfectly matched that it doesn't seem to be over 8%.

08-11-2010 20:59:22 | More by cbarrett4
Gavage

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: dark orange in color with a merangue like thick head that slowly falls to a spotty foam. Thick lace paints the glass.

Smell: loads of pine, grapefruit, and earthy hop presence dominates the aroma.

Taste: big caramel flavor with an great balance of pine, grapefruit, biscuit, pears, and a bold bitterness that does not go over the top like some in the style.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness late.

Overall: this was a super fresh DIPA that was so well balanced I had to have two in the session. Refreshing and totally satisfying, I returned to the same bar to have it two nights in a row.

11-22-2011 00:51:19 | More by Gavage
Docer

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Grabbed a ton of bombers at Belmont Station over here of this.. one to try, and others to trade as it doesn't get out much :-)

- Perfect light amber/copper color and slightly cloudy as I would expect from an 'A' IIPA. (Just reviewed Leafer Madness before this bomber). Much the same,

- Sweet pungent hop aroma with dark and rich caramel malts.. really smells like something that can be drank like water. Slight roasted notes there as well... along w/ some honey.

- Ok here we go... Oh... mm... smooth hop 'n honey syrup.. taste is there, and is fantastic. Hardly a taste of alcohol until it hits the throat and gut. Wow... fantastic.

- Not overly bubbly which I really like... smooth, not dry.. not bitter, not sour.. just balanced so well the mouthfeel is a 'give me more' feel.. maybe a tad chewy, but needed.

- Way too drinkable.. I told myself I would stip after this one... we'll see!!

Get it if you can!

** Edit.. this is the west coast style Hopslam for sure

03-23-2009 00:14:53 | More by Docer
NWer

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. The foam overtook the top of the glass, settled nicely and I finished the pour.

A - Beautiful perfectly clear dark amber appearance, foamy bronze head that persisted for quite a while.

S - The citricy smell was noticeable as soon as I popped the cap and only got better as I filled the glass. Smelled of grapefruit.

T - More grapefruit - and hops. Lots of hops and more hops.

M - The beer feels very pleasant in the mouth and the aftertaste is very pleasant.

D - The only thing preventing me from having another is the alcohol content.

For a hophead like myself, I feel I have died and gone to Heaven. Ninkasi the goddess would be pleased.

07-15-2010 22:07:23 | More by NWer
bagpiper2005

Idaho

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Pour: Hazy golden-amber color with two and a half fingers of slightly off-white head that retained very well and left all sorts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can smell this beer before I even hold it up to my nose! Aromas of citrus and piney hops, pale malt, fruity esters, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: The tip of the tongue starts off with a sour, acidic lemon punch which gives way into a lovely sweet syrup and pale malt flavor and a small bready flavor. The middle of the palate picks up a light fruity flavor, and the back end finishes up with a nice wallop of bitter piney and grapefruit hops. Alcohol very well disguised, but it's a bit warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, rich, slightly creamy, and medium carbonation. Coats the mouth with a nice thick layer of hop oils.

Drinkability: Extremely high for 8.8% ABV. A lovely sipping beer. Leaves you wanting another sip each time, and goes down extremely well. Not overly filling.

Final Notes: It doesn't actually taste as bitter as the IBUs would let on. Extremely well-balanced and drinkable, and an absolute must to pair against spicy food. If you're a hop lover, check it out.

08-09-2010 22:20:02 | More by bagpiper2005
SecondSandwich

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

I lived in Portland, OR for the last couple years and Ninkasi was available just about everywhere you look (God, I miss Portland). Their "Total Domination IPA" was one of my go to beers and is one of the best in its price range. The "Tricerahops Double IPA" is a delicious step up from its tasty nephew. A bit more pricey, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying my fare share of this scrumptious brew.
Now, I am not up on beer terminology (despite being an avid craft beer consumer) so forgive me if my description is "unconventional". I'll also have you know that I am heavily biased toward IPAs and the double/imperial IPAs in particular.
I have had the Tricerahops many-a-time in the bottle and have been lucky enough to discover it on tap on at least one occasion. The Tricerahops has a light-ish amber color and somewhat of a flowery aroma. In terms of taste, it really packs a nice punch. It delivers a lot "on the front end" as I like to say. It has a nice, crisp hoppy attack. It has a lot of treble and mid-range flavor. However, it doesn't really have much of that bass-y complexity that comes out about mid-taste with some other double IPAs (the Hercules Double from Great Divide for example, mmm). That being said, I don't think that bassy flavor was intended with this beer. It is more of a zippy, refreshing, deliciously hoppy (and high gravity) treat to enjoy when you are out on the patio in the summer or autumn.

Bottom line, if you like IPAs, you will love the Tricerahops. Also, if you haven't really experienced the Ninkasi Brewing company (I have not seen it outside the west coast, unfortunately) I would recommend seeking them out. I have not been disappointed by anything I have tried from them.
Cheers!

12-13-2010 16:55:35 | More by SecondSandwich
tdm168

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

A - dark orange with a soft, off white, foamy cap of head

S - grapefruit, mango, some pineapple, faint bread

T - orange, grapefruit, mango, mild pine, mild bitterness

M - medium bodied, smooth, perfectly carbonated

This is a very nice, citrusy, full flavored, hoppy beer. This is simply delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed this one from beginning to end. I will definitely have it again.

11-16-2012 02:12:28 | More by tdm168
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours mid to dark gold with a healthy head. The nose is pretty pungent hops. This is one tasty DIPA with a serious hop taste but a smooth finish. Very well constructed and way to easy to drink at that ABV. I need to find more of these bad boys next time I am in Portland

08-19-2008 04:16:17 | More by canucklehead
rowingbrewer

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

had this one on tap while visiting family in seattle

appearance- deep golden to reddish color strong head that left lacing as it faded.

smell- a very citrusy fruity hop aroma

taste- it had this amazing citrus flavor to it kind of a passion fruit thing going on. really one of the best tasting IPAs i have had

Mouthfeel- each sip left me wanting more my mouth practically craved more

Drinkability- very drinkable beer I wish it was in MA

11-18-2010 19:01:46 | More by rowingbrewer
kswbeer

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

This is a pretty solid Imperial IPA, and ranks among the best.

Our group just called Ninkasi and asked what hops they use. Search for "what hops are in tricerahops" or check out the following link:

05-09-2011 19:11:00 | More by kswbeer
Sky2625

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a straight side pint glass (this review from notes taken 8/2/11).

A - Poured a tawny amber orange, with 1/2-finger off off-white medium-to-large bubble head. Great retnention, moderate lacing. Shines bright orange in the light.

S - Lemony/orangey citrus hop, with a little bit of herbiness. Hints of apple, bit of honey, and lavender.

T - Well-balanced citrus/pine hop with orange and caramel sweetness, followed by mild bitterness and notes of sage. Herby and buttery finish.

M - Creamy texture, medium body. Light carbonation tingles the tongue. A bit of warmth with biting bitterness at the back and sides of the tongue.

D - A very good beer. Great citrus/herb hop flavor, and not too bitter. Very pleasant and refreshing, though dry enough to leave you wanting more.

I'm a big fan of Tricerahops.

08-07-2011 04:57:14 | More by Sky2625
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear light marigold color with a decent head and minimal lacing after it settled.

Smell of strong grapefruit, citrus, sweet malt, and pineapple and pine needles. Aroma is great on this brew.

Taste of strong grapefruit, citrus, strong flavor of caramelized sugars, pale malt, some residual sweetness and not dried out as some other fantastic examples of DIPA's taste to me. I personally like the slightly wet / sweet flavors of a beer that has some residual sugars left from fermentation. One thing I did notice in the bottom of this beer was a decent amount of yeast that seemed to be not excessive, but more than I see in most bottled DIPAs.

Thick for the style but delicious and very drinkable.

02-22-2010 23:19:47 | More by alpinebryant
Matthew_Taylor

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an outstanding entry from Ninkasi, a strong double IPA with outstanding characteristics. Pours in a medium amber with a frothy white head about a finger wide.

The smell is strong and hoppy, a floral character. Little to no sweetness on the nose.

A distinctive IPA taste, with strong hops and a bitterness that lasts into the throat. The mouthfeel is great, but it might be a little too carbonated.

All in all, a stellar beer.

09-05-2013 01:31:46 | More by Matthew_Taylor
josiahschlender

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

When at the Concordia Ale House, found out that this beer was the best Double IPA out of 10 competitors in the Concordia Cup. I had to try one for myself.

The Tricerahops came out hazy, golden orange with a white moderate head that left a decent amount of lacing as I drank it.

Despite not much of a head, the aromas wafted powerfully out of the glass the whole time I drank it. You know how it's hard to smell some beers when you get all the way down and have just a little bit a the bottom? Not so with this one. Pine, citrus and floral hops all mingle and assault my nostrils. Very complex. Sweet smelling, as well. I'm not sure if it's a little of the malts coming through, or just the nectar citrus/floral hop smells.

I was a little surprised with how cold it came out. I was expecting it to be served a little warmer. Even so, the taste was also excellent. A huge surprise was the difference of taste from the nose. Taste was much more earthy than I expected. The citrus and pine hops were still stong, but definitely got a bit of a dust/earth taste that I'd expect from the hops used in a porter or stout. Very interesting. The malts are mild, not as sweet as some other DIPAs I've tried. I didn't notice much alcohol flavor, or smell, but it also doesn't seem like it should be too hard to hide with the overpowering hops.

Mouthfeel was about medium body, not as thick as some DIPAs, with a long finish. I also noted the dry finish, which complimented the earthy flavors.

Overall, an excellent, very interesting beer. I hope I make it back soon enough to try this beer again.

08-11-2007 05:23:58 | More by josiahschlender
ccrida

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Had a nonic on draught at the Beer Stein in Eugene, Ticerhops poured a cloudy light rust color with a thin, off-white collar and surface skim, leaving light lace.

The aroma is very strong hops, all pine, with a touch of alcohol as it warms.

The taste is fantastic, more complex the then nose, and remarkably balanced in spite of the extreme hops and high ABV. Still all about the piney, earthy hops, but tempered with a nice english ale yeast fruitiness and enough pale and crystal malts to give it backbone without making it to sweet or heavy. Very smooth, with a firm, bitter finish. I can see why this won the cup, it's very well crafted.

The mouthfeel is oily yet has a moderate amount of creamy carbonation. It's medium bodied.

This is a very tasty IPA, so smooth and easy drinking, you can really get into trouble if you loose track of the ABV, which is barely noticeable.

08-15-2007 18:36:12 | More by ccrida