Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Beer added by: John_M on 07-30-2007

Reviews: 427 | Hads: 1,591
4.53/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: dark orange in color with a merangue like thick head that slowly falls to a spotty foam. Thick lace paints the glass.

Smell: loads of pine, grapefruit, and earthy hop presence dominates the aroma.

Taste: big caramel flavor with an great balance of pine, grapefruit, biscuit, pears, and a bold bitterness that does not go over the top like some in the style.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness late.

Overall: this was a super fresh DIPA that was so well balanced I had to have two in the session. Refreshing and totally satisfying, I returned to the same bar to have it two nights in a row.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Nonic. Tasted several times from various taps in the Portland area.

This is basically an amped up version of Total Domination. More hops, more alcohol, more body, more more more!!! (Do I feel a Billy Idol song coming on?)

A - Typical yet quality IPA appearance, good straw-gold hue with some haze, a nice head and decently persistent lace.

S - Richly aromatic with lots of fresh hops and spice, some hints of citrus and pine.

T - Lots more of the citrus, hops, and spice.

M - Here is where this beer really differs from Total Domination. This is massive, structured, and intense with a soft character to the tannins that prevent this from being way too astringent.

D - It just calls you back for more. This is such a massive IPA, yet balanced and complex. The texture and alcohol are so perfectly matched that it doesn't seem to be over 8%.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

Well, I'll forgive the misspelling of "Tricerahops" for such a fine beer; enjoyed this pint at Henry's Tavern, 9/7/2007.

A: Pours a hazy, amber/orange with a 1/4 " cap of creamy head; light soap bubbles and a thin film of frosty cream as it settles. Slow carbonation rising sporadically. Modest lace in thin bands.

S: Big aroma of fresh hop cones; purely citrus and pine. It's nothing intricate, just bold and full, with an ample dose of caramel malt.

T: Oh, wow. Superb balance; it's understandable why this won the Concordia Cup recently as favorite DIPA. Outstanding balance, I was very impressed by the melding of sweet/sugary and chewy caramel malt with a burst of citrus. Bitter bite is minimal in the end, coming off as gently pithy but pleasingly floral and herbal.

M: Silky, medium-full mouthfeel. Nothing syrupy/heavy, just a smooth an balanced feel that expertly masks that nearly 10% alcohol heat.

D: One of the most drinkable DIPAs I've enjoyed. Quite well-balanced, with malt and caramel flavors mashing up beautifully with orange/citrus hoppiness.
This may be my new favorite of the ubiquitous NW IPAs - a treasure worth seeking out!

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. The foam overtook the top of the glass, settled nicely and I finished the pour.

A - Beautiful perfectly clear dark amber appearance, foamy bronze head that persisted for quite a while.

S - The citricy smell was noticeable as soon as I popped the cap and only got better as I filled the glass. Smelled of grapefruit.

T - More grapefruit - and hops. Lots of hops and more hops.

M - The beer feels very pleasant in the mouth and the aftertaste is very pleasant.

D - The only thing preventing me from having another is the alcohol content.

For a hophead like myself, I feel I have died and gone to Heaven. Ninkasi the goddess would be pleased.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

L: Pours hazy gold to amber under a 2” clingy white head with a fine bead.
S: Resiny piney hops, biscuit, light fruit on the nose
T: Starts creamy and has a little malt sweetness and some pear, slight orange. Long lingering bitterness with a biscuity, fruity sweetness – almost like a jam or marmalade.
F: very creamy and smooth, medium to medium full body, medium carbonation, slight warming.
O: A big well balanced beer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I lived in Portland, OR for the last couple years and Ninkasi was available just about everywhere you look (God, I miss Portland). Their "Total Domination IPA" was one of my go to beers and is one of the best in its price range. The "Tricerahops Double IPA" is a delicious step up from its tasty nephew. A bit more pricey, but that certainly didn't stop me from enjoying my fare share of this scrumptious brew.
Now, I am not up on beer terminology (despite being an avid craft beer consumer) so forgive me if my description is "unconventional". I'll also have you know that I am heavily biased toward IPAs and the double/imperial IPAs in particular.
I have had the Tricerahops many-a-time in the bottle and have been lucky enough to discover it on tap on at least one occasion. The Tricerahops has a light-ish amber color and somewhat of a flowery aroma. In terms of taste, it really packs a nice punch. It delivers a lot "on the front end" as I like to say. It has a nice, crisp hoppy attack. It has a lot of treble and mid-range flavor. However, it doesn't really have much of that bass-y complexity that comes out about mid-taste with some other double IPAs (the Hercules Double from Great Divide for example, mmm). That being said, I don't think that bassy flavor was intended with this beer. It is more of a zippy, refreshing, deliciously hoppy (and high gravity) treat to enjoy when you are out on the patio in the summer or autumn.

Bottom line, if you like IPAs, you will love the Tricerahops. Also, if you haven't really experienced the Ninkasi Brewing company (I have not seen it outside the west coast, unfortunately) I would recommend seeking them out. I have not been disappointed by anything I have tried from them.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Pour: Hazy golden-amber color with two and a half fingers of slightly off-white head that retained very well and left all sorts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I can smell this beer before I even hold it up to my nose! Aromas of citrus and piney hops, pale malt, fruity esters, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: The tip of the tongue starts off with a sour, acidic lemon punch which gives way into a lovely sweet syrup and pale malt flavor and a small bready flavor. The middle of the palate picks up a light fruity flavor, and the back end finishes up with a nice wallop of bitter piney and grapefruit hops. Alcohol very well disguised, but it's a bit warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, rich, slightly creamy, and medium carbonation. Coats the mouth with a nice thick layer of hop oils.

Drinkability: Extremely high for 8.8% ABV. A lovely sipping beer. Leaves you wanting another sip each time, and goes down extremely well. Not overly filling.

Final Notes: It doesn't actually taste as bitter as the IBUs would let on. Extremely well-balanced and drinkable, and an absolute must to pair against spicy food. If you're a hop lover, check it out.

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

Grabbed a ton of bombers at Belmont Station over here of this.. one to try, and others to trade as it doesn't get out much :-)

- Perfect light amber/copper color and slightly cloudy as I would expect from an 'A' IIPA. (Just reviewed Leafer Madness before this bomber). Much the same,

- Sweet pungent hop aroma with dark and rich caramel malts.. really smells like something that can be drank like water. Slight roasted notes there as well... along w/ some honey.

- Ok here we go... Oh... mm... smooth hop 'n honey syrup.. taste is there, and is fantastic. Hardly a taste of alcohol until it hits the throat and gut. Wow... fantastic.

- Not overly bubbly which I really like... smooth, not dry.. not bitter, not sour.. just balanced so well the mouthfeel is a 'give me more' feel.. maybe a tad chewy, but needed.

- Way too drinkable.. I told myself I would stip after this one... we'll see!!

Get it if you can!

** Edit.. this is the west coast style Hopslam for sure

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

A - dark orange with a soft, off white, foamy cap of head

S - grapefruit, mango, some pineapple, faint bread

T - orange, grapefruit, mango, mild pine, mild bitterness

M - medium bodied, smooth, perfectly carbonated

This is a very nice, citrusy, full flavored, hoppy beer. This is simply delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed this one from beginning to end. I will definitely have it again.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a straight side pint glass (this review from notes taken 8/2/11).

A - Poured a tawny amber orange, with 1/2-finger off off-white medium-to-large bubble head. Great retnention, moderate lacing. Shines bright orange in the light.

S - Lemony/orangey citrus hop, with a little bit of herbiness. Hints of apple, bit of honey, and lavender.

T - Well-balanced citrus/pine hop with orange and caramel sweetness, followed by mild bitterness and notes of sage. Herby and buttery finish.

M - Creamy texture, medium body. Light carbonation tingles the tongue. A bit of warmth with biting bitterness at the back and sides of the tongue.

D - A very good beer. Great citrus/herb hop flavor, and not too bitter. Very pleasant and refreshing, though dry enough to leave you wanting more.

I'm a big fan of Tricerahops.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours mid to dark gold with a healthy head. The nose is pretty pungent hops. This is one tasty DIPA with a serious hop taste but a smooth finish. Very well constructed and way to easy to drink at that ABV. I need to find more of these bad boys next time I am in Portland

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

had this one on tap while visiting family in seattle

appearance- deep golden to reddish color strong head that left lacing as it faded.

smell- a very citrusy fruity hop aroma

taste- it had this amazing citrus flavor to it kind of a passion fruit thing going on. really one of the best tasting IPAs i have had

Mouthfeel- each sip left me wanting more my mouth practically craved more

Drinkability- very drinkable beer I wish it was in MA

4.46/5  rDev +11.2%

This is a pretty solid Imperial IPA, and ranks among the best.

Our group just called Ninkasi and asked what hops they use. Search for "what hops are in tricerahops" or check out the following link:

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an outstanding entry from Ninkasi, a strong double IPA with outstanding characteristics. Pours in a medium amber with a frothy white head about a finger wide.

The smell is strong and hoppy, a floral character. Little to no sweetness on the nose.

A distinctive IPA taste, with strong hops and a bitterness that lasts into the throat. The mouthfeel is great, but it might be a little too carbonated.

All in all, a stellar beer.

4.44/5  rDev +10.7%

When at the Concordia Ale House, found out that this beer was the best Double IPA out of 10 competitors in the Concordia Cup. I had to try one for myself.

The Tricerahops came out hazy, golden orange with a white moderate head that left a decent amount of lacing as I drank it.

Despite not much of a head, the aromas wafted powerfully out of the glass the whole time I drank it. You know how it's hard to smell some beers when you get all the way down and have just a little bit a the bottom? Not so with this one. Pine, citrus and floral hops all mingle and assault my nostrils. Very complex. Sweet smelling, as well. I'm not sure if it's a little of the malts coming through, or just the nectar citrus/floral hop smells.

I was a little surprised with how cold it came out. I was expecting it to be served a little warmer. Even so, the taste was also excellent. A huge surprise was the difference of taste from the nose. Taste was much more earthy than I expected. The citrus and pine hops were still stong, but definitely got a bit of a dust/earth taste that I'd expect from the hops used in a porter or stout. Very interesting. The malts are mild, not as sweet as some other DIPAs I've tried. I didn't notice much alcohol flavor, or smell, but it also doesn't seem like it should be too hard to hide with the overpowering hops.

Mouthfeel was about medium body, not as thick as some DIPAs, with a long finish. I also noted the dry finish, which complimented the earthy flavors.

Overall, an excellent, very interesting beer. I hope I make it back soon enough to try this beer again.

4.44/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear light marigold color with a decent head and minimal lacing after it settled.

Smell of strong grapefruit, citrus, sweet malt, and pineapple and pine needles. Aroma is great on this brew.

Taste of strong grapefruit, citrus, strong flavor of caramelized sugars, pale malt, some residual sweetness and not dried out as some other fantastic examples of DIPA's taste to me. I personally like the slightly wet / sweet flavors of a beer that has some residual sugars left from fermentation. One thing I did notice in the bottom of this beer was a decent amount of yeast that seemed to be not excessive, but more than I see in most bottled DIPAs.

Thick for the style but delicious and very drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic pint tasting glass.
A= Fresh nice looking DIPA, pours orange to amber, head is off white, lasts, and lacing remains.
S= Earthy, piney, and spicy hops, some sweet malt.
T= Sweet malt, maybe honey, lots of citrus and pine hops. Finish is all malt and bread.
M= Full with correct carbonation.
O= Tasty double IPA, balanced with malt, bitterness, and hop flavors. Pine and mixed citrus.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Wow! Deep, honey colored, slightly opaque, glowing, with a smallish white head that fades to a white bubbly haze on the surface. The smell is all hops. It doesn't come off as a complex smell at first, but after repeated huffing a myriad of aromas becomes apparent: fruity, citrus, pine hops lifted my spirits! Fruit and honey malt starts to come through, and I get really excited to have a drink. I am not disappointed. Herbal, floral, and pine hops are right up front, with a bit of sweet malt in the middle. It finishes crisp, with a slightly bitter pine hop edge. Medium bodied, with good interplay between the carbonation and the hop crispness. Dry but smooth. Very, very easy drinking for a DIPA!

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A nice offering from Ninkasi. A double IPA with sharp hop bitterness on the beginning, smoothed over by rich fruit apricot flavors. The bitterness continues to linger and reminds me of the initial sharpness. I hope this one will stay in my nose for a while to remind me of its hoppy goodness.

Appearance - golden amber color, rich

Smell - fruity and sharp with hops

Taste - sharp bitterness to begin, smooth fruit middle, bitterness linger and linger and linger. :)

Mouthfeel - light carbonation makes this an easy drinker. 8.8% abv says go easy.

Overall - one of my favorites.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours hazy gold orange color with a 2 finger foamy/creamy beige head that faded slowly and left foamy good lacing as it went down, leaving a ring around the top.

Smells of oranges, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, citrus hops, caramel, biscuit, sweet malt, and floral hops; pretty much all citrus in the nose, with some herbs, grains and piney notes adding balance, but boy was this nice to inhale and what I had hoped for with those Pacific Northwest hops in play.

Tastes like it smells, only better, with juicy oranges, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, citrus hops, guava, caramel, malt, brown sugar, piney hops, lightly roasted grains, tea leaf, herbs, floral hops, flowers like a rose petal, wet wheat bread and some boozy sweetness that seems like a wet hop was dropped in the glass for good measure. Considering how hoppy this is, the bitterness is mild and the malts/grains add nice balance and make this very easy to drink, hiding the ABV with juicy fruit and herbals notes. The spices don’t play any role in the flavor palate, which surprised me, but I still really dig this flavor.

Mouthfeel is creamy, slick and very smooth, with mild carbonation, a medium body that’s almost chewy and slightly bitter finish that’s full of sweet citrus fruit and goes down easy. This was freakin’ easy to drink, and I downed the bomber faster than I should have because it was so tasty.

After being disappointed by the Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale, Ninkasi exceeded my expectations with this DIPA, which was easy to drink and extremely flavorful. I suggest East Coast hopheads go to ‘Let’s Pour’ and order some as this was a very tasty brew.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

I bought a b22 oz bottle of Tricerahops in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a bright gold color and is slightly hazy. Frothy white head caps the beer, and leaves a little lace on the glass.

Smell is very sweet and fruity. There is a strong citrus aroma along with a pine scent.

Taste is a malt flavor up front, sweet bread and caramel, with a sweet citrus, pink grapefruit flavor, followed by a mild bitter pine finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, light for the style, with a fairly clean finish.

Overall a very drinkable DIPA.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Pours a golden, amber orange in color with a nice inch thick, creamy head that lasts for a long time and leaves lacing around the glass. Carbonation levels look good.

S: The malts in this one are actually quite prominent; a nice mixture of citrus hops, barley and toasty, breaded malts. Maybe a little spice, and a hint of pine.

T: Follows the nose well. Quite balanced for a double IPA. Bitter, citrus hops and toasty, breaded malts blend together pretty well up front, followed by a bittering hop flavor and finishing crisp and dry with a lingering citrus hop character. I'm a sucker for a good citrusy IPA and this one hit the spot.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation, a bit of oil, a good amount of substance and a bit of chewiness. This one goes down smooth and easy and remains very drinkable for a double IPA at higher ABV levels.

O: Very pleasantly surprised by this one. I expected more of a hop bomb, but this was actually very balanced and quite flavorful. It is on the heavier side substance wise, but it's still very drinkable and actually even a bit refreshing. I was pleased to find plenty of citrus hops instead of the pine variety and I will definitely be checking out other beers from this brewery, this being my introductory brew. Picked this up on a whim and glad I did! Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle thanks to onix1agr. Good look on the splits.

A- a finger or so of egg shell colored head that settles quickly leaving a few spots of stick and a solid ring. Hazy sunset orange in color.

S- massive hops in the face. Mangos, pineapples, apricot nectar, oranges. Lite honey like sweetness and a bit of toast.

T- loads of juicy fruity hops. Tropical and citrus fruit galore. Mangos and grapefruit taking the lead with some tangerine and pineapple as well. Hint of conifers but not much. Mild sweetness that brings out the hops beautifully. Honey and turbinado sugar come to mind. Slightly biscuity malts in the back.

M- medium body with a nice mid level carb that leaves the brew on he palate a but letting you really get into it. Not a bit of heat from his 8.8 abv dipa.

D- I'm love this beer one of the best and most drinkable brews of the style. My first from this brewery but this will not be my last.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Big thanks goes out to Pullen for this as an extra in an in-person trade quite awhile back! Served from bottle into a Delerium Tremens snifter. Poured a hazy red-orange with a one finger off-white head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and citrus hops. The flavor was of sweet malt and citrus hops as well. It had a medium feel on the palate with low-mid carbonation. Overall this brew is quite excellently balanced. Have a very nice aroma and flavor going on here. Probably one of top IIPA's that I've had. Massive thanks again John for this one!

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: golden ale, clear; coupla fingers of ivory head left laces down the glass

S: chewy biscuit malts drenched with honey, powerful citrus and pine medley, floral and resinous at the same time

T: sweet caramel malts and fresh, chewy grains underscoring a massive hop profile that is both pithy and resinous at the same time - dank, but with bright citric pith-points

M: medium-weight and soft on the tongue, bittering subtly throughout; smooth, great aftertaste

O: worthy of its ratings and rank - delicious and potent, full of bitterness, fresh grain malts and moderate sugars - top-notch DIPA that drinks like s DIPA but without being too heavy or strong. Get some.

Tricerahops Double IPA from Ninkasi Brewing Company