1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tricerahops Double IPA - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Tricerahops Double IPATricerahops Double IPA

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Ninkasi website:
"8.8%alc./vol. 100+ ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 07-30-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 897 | Reviews: 363 | Show All Ratings:
gregmoscetti

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer was not kidding. Its poor graphic design and relatively unknown brewery lead me to believe that i was buying a dud, but something in my heart said push on. to buy... two... Now that i think about it that was probably my childhood (and continuing) love of the triceratops.

Definitely the most bad ass of plant eating dinos, I gave this beer blind hope and was rewarded with a delicious DIPA.

The nose was citrus, grassy pine, fresh bread and a hint of dinosaur blood (probably extracted from an amber bound mosquito. The taste was sweeter/creamier than any west coast IPA i have had since Bear Republic's Apex. Reminded me of a less over the top version of FFF's apocalypse cow. It was extremely balanced and very very delicious.

03-01-2010 19:19:42 | More by gregmoscetti
Sky2625

Washington

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber to a straight side pint glass (this review from notes taken 8/2/11).

A - Poured a tawny amber orange, with 1/2-finger off off-white medium-to-large bubble head. Great retnention, moderate lacing. Shines bright orange in the light.

S - Lemony/orangey citrus hop, with a little bit of herbiness. Hints of apple, bit of honey, and lavender.

T - Well-balanced citrus/pine hop with orange and caramel sweetness, followed by mild bitterness and notes of sage. Herby and buttery finish.

M - Creamy texture, medium body. Light carbonation tingles the tongue. A bit of warmth with biting bitterness at the back and sides of the tongue.

D - A very good beer. Great citrus/herb hop flavor, and not too bitter. Very pleasant and refreshing, though dry enough to leave you wanting more.

I'm a big fan of Tricerahops.

08-07-2011 04:57:14 | More by Sky2625
VincentFrey

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pour / Appearance: Pours a light orange with ruby hints. Likely the bits of darker malts to bring up the backbone giving it the reddish tinge. Very clear. Nicely carbed, pours well with quick head dissipation. Head is bone white. Pretty beautiful lacing as it sips. Very pretty DIPA.

Aroma: Bevvy of west coast / north pacific hops. Resinous, piney, hint of spruce. Malt character is pretty light; some caramels and a hint of rye perhaps. Something lending spice. Definite alcohol presence. No real yeast esters, but none really expected.

Taste: First pour was fresh from the fridge. Very, very bitter, but not a ton of character outside it. As it warms, things mellow a bit and the hops start to present individual traits. Definite floral notes, but mostly spicey and piney. Not much else hopwise, so lacking in complexity there. Malt profile doesn't do much to hide the alcohol, and I'm thinking the rye I thought was in the nose was just spicy hops. It's a west coast IPA, but average at that.

Overall: A decent style example of the increasingly defined west coast branch of American IPAs. Still, no great intangibles and no real complexity to the hope profile I'd expect in a DIPA.

Bottom Line: Probably cheaper in Oregon. I've got no urge to have it again at the price I got it, but would be solid if it was cheaper.

01-16-2014 21:53:40 | More by VincentFrey
beerad666

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

I picked up a 22oz bomber of this at Belmont Station in Portland OR. It made the journey safely in my luggage back to Chicago. I picked this is up becuase it was a Double IPA and a beer named after a dinosaur how cool is that.

The Tricerahops pours a golden dark amber color with a one finger white head. When you drink it you get that great hops bite and its still very refreshing. There is a decent amount of fruit that comes trough with the grapefruit and the orange. Overall a very drinkable beer especially at this higher ABV.

This was the first Ninkasi Brewing I've had and I will definitely be picking up this Double IPA and something else from Ninkasi the next time I am out in Oregon.

10-26-2008 16:12:14 | More by beerad666
charliedvrs

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

22 oz bomber poured into my tulip glass. Thanks to msubulldog25 for this one!

A - A nice golden amber color. About a finger of creamy white head with a tint of gold sits at the top of the beer. Tons of lacing and some little unfiltered specs floating around the second glass.

S - Tons of citrusy fruit upfront, though not exceptionally strong. Bits of caramel from the malts sit in the background.

T - The grapefruit flavor of the hops hits you first, but there's something different here than the usual Cascade/Centennial forward DIPAs. It's more of a pineapple-grapefruit with hints of lemon and orange. It's a sweet beer, with a bit of a sugary taste that tends to downplay the bittering aspects of the hops as well as the high alcohol content. The bitterness waits till the very end of the sip to hit you.

M - I would say medium bodied and carbonated, maybe a bit light on the former. Dry, but not until the finish.

D - Quality brew with a very interesting hop profile that I really enjoyed. I could see how someone could come away not liking it due to personal taste. It's somewhere in between a DIPA and an Imperial Amber and really pushes the sweet citrus flavors without being as bitter as one would expect from the style. Hopefully I'll come across another bottle some time soon!

08-04-2010 16:18:30 | More by charliedvrs
Bowers-Brew

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Nice medium brown color with fine white lacing. Head was substantial with aggressive pour.

S - Pleasant hope aroma, albeit a little faint for a IIPA.

T - A good balance between citrus and pine.

O - Alcohol and hops both seem a little low for IIPA, but the balance of flavors is nice. My first Ninkasi beer, and it's certainly good enough to have again and to try some of their other creations. Prost.

09-21-2013 22:16:45 | More by Bowers-Brew
demuzik

2.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance is a clear copper-goldish, light carbonation (a tad lighter than typical for the style), served with little to no head.

Not much head retention, near to no lacing.

Flavor is certainly not bad, but I did not rate high seeing as they market this as a "double IPA" and therefore I expect much; this came in at a normal IPA range for IBU's and gravity, at least taste and mouthfeel wise.

Aroma is certainly this guy's thing; much dry hopping for great complexity and inviting sniffs.

Not so drinkable, this is one that wares on you half way through and you are looking towards the next beer in a more favorable genre; could definitely use a better balance of malt.

12-09-2010 20:40:01 | More by demuzik
2BDChicago

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Solid medium amber with some floatees , foamy tan head of average retention.

S: Very piney then a little grassy & woody, possibly a little grapefruit way in the back. Totally not the hop aroma of midwest DIPA.

T: Unbelieveably sophisticated. The big ibu's and abv's totally masked. The flavor starts as a tart grapefruit, a little caramel, the flavor notes just balance together.

D: You could definately get three sheets to the wind in a hurry and never realize what happend. Most subtle of the DIPA's I've had this season. But a real adult beverage in the dryness and totally unique flavors. Wish I could get on a regular basis, and I'd kill to have on tap.

02-18-2011 03:39:27 | More by 2BDChicago
Aml42000

Washington

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This poured a dark orange color with a fluffy white head. Floral, perfumed hops swirl from the glass. This is definitely more on the citrus/crisp side of IPA. It lacks some of the depth I would look for in a double, but is pure & quite representative of the west coast style. Medium mouthfeel & quite clean & fresh on the palate.

04-10-2013 21:18:34 | More by Aml42000
troobie

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Where is the bite? I need that bite.

A: Cloudy brown/red nearing cider under the light color. Small head holds the entire glass with very strong lacing.

S: Barleywine? Less hoppy and more rounded than expected. Could be mistaken for Bigfoot all day long. Alcohol is definitely there.

T: Once again, barelywine. Where is the hop bite? Sure there is some serious hop bitterness, but it's well rounded and there is no bite. Salt/garlic/onion super-hop flavor.

M: Chewy, oily, medium-high carbonation from a soft pour.

O: Would buy again and enjoy, but not what I expected. I can buy a six-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo for less money than a bomber of this and the Torpedo would be just as, if not more, enjoyable.

01-03-2014 10:05:07 | More by troobie
bschinelli

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Another bottle picked up in the PNW. Pours a deep tangelo color with a thin head that left a little lace on the glass. The nose is citrusy; tangerine, grapefruit, and tangerines. I didn't get the pine, but a little hop grassiness. Initial taste is that grapefruit, lots of hops, and some light malt, I didn't pick up on biscuit. The mouthfeel is a little light for the style, and there's almost no heat from the alcohol. That said, a 22oz serving will clearly take it's toll. I'm not sure about the 100 IBU's, because I didn't get the "blow your head off" hops that you'd expect.

Overall, I liked this beer, even though it doesn't fit the profile. Very drinkable!

12-06-2011 00:32:35 | More by bschinelli
rhodeska

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

this beer pours really deep orange, much darker than i thought the hoppy beer would be.

Good head, just a little lacing on the glass as I go. The smell was okay, not very overpowering or dominating. I get some citrus and hops, not very good at identifying IPA ingredients...

Taste was really tame, but full. Good citrus and bitter, a really good type of IPA for my taste.

I could probably drink this for most of the day, and the citrus/hops taste lingers for a while. Solid beer.

08-25-2010 03:54:26 | More by rhodeska
dertyd

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to my tulip glass

A:auburn orange color with almoast no head and little lace

S;piney citruss with a little bready malt smell

T:bitter hops with a big malt back bone almoast no sweetness or citruss

M:crisp and wet leaves my mouth watering

O:a nice beer verry smooth for a dipa not as hoppy as I wanted but preaty good

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

03-10-2013 02:15:06 | More by dertyd
vtblackdog

Vermont

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

A - slightly cloudy, slightly orange hue. Nice head that hangs.

S - Piney hoppy aroma very nice.

T - A nice hop bite but not too biting. I really like the hop malt balance on this one.

M - A nice gentle hop bite with a medium body.

O - A very good example of a double IPA.

06-05-2011 00:59:21 | More by vtblackdog
seanwhite

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured as a dense golden/ brass color that had a minimum amount of carbonation bubbles rising to the top and then a thick fluffy white layer of foam on top.

S: Zesty yeast and citrus influenced hops.

T: Flavor is more or less the same as the total domination but packs a bigger alcohol kick and more intensely bitter type of hops. Still has plenty of citrus and grapefruit at work here, but the breaded malts seem to have been drowned out somewhat by the extra dosage of hops.

12-24-2011 18:24:42 | More by seanwhite
Nay

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle brought via Iowa (thanks Dan and Jean!), delicious: worthy of "double IPA" distinction. Stronger than IPA at 8.8 ABV and bitterness level, yet not syrupy, sweet, or indigestible like a barleywine. Malty yet dry. A real clone-worthy beer. Aroma good, but a bit more hops would have been nice, but not unexpected from a bottle. Must get more.

02-24-2012 22:12:06 | More by Nay
itsfreeasinbeer

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Cloudy light cider colored. Practically no head or lacing to speak of.

S: Citrus and grass hops along with a bit of alcohol.

T: Citrus hops are the predominant flavor. Grassy hops follow along with some malt base that is oddly spiced from the yeast.

M: Mildly carbonated with a heavy resiny body.

D: A must try double IPA, however, the spicy aftertaste from the yeast leaves something to be desired. The hops bouquet present in the nose and initial first sip are worth the imperfections though.

01-04-2011 23:39:33 | More by itsfreeasinbeer
MURF0320

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

*Slightly cloudy orange, minimal white head, good lacing.
*Smells nice. Floral hops, citrus, and pine.
*The hops and malts are both distinctive, but neither are overpowering. Bitterness of grapefruit, citrus, and pine stand out slightly. Nicely balanced DIPA.
*The balanced ones always go down too easily.
*Had this later on the same day as a Pliny the Elder, so it had a lot to live up to. Not as perfectly balanced, but held its own. I would highly recommend giving it a try. Even if it wasn't good I'd buy it for the name alone.

Serving type: growler

01-08-2010 20:40:38 | More by MURF0320
smekermann

British Columbia (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This brewery's been getting a lot of hype in BC. Everywhere I turn, I see NINKASI. I go to Facebook, I see NINKASI being hyped by the distributor. I go to Brewery Creek, I see NINKASI beer in the staff recommendations list. They have NINKASI tap takeovers. Obviously, this brewery has something to prove. I avoided them in the past on account of a friend (hello largoderr) saying he wasn't too impressed with their stuff. He's generally someone whose taste I trust, but at the same time, I couldn't take all the hype anymore. I had to try one of their beers. I was in the mood for some goddamn IPA this evening, so I got a bottle of this, a bottle of Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin and a sixpack of Lagunitas Sucks from Brewery Creek. When I asked the cashier about this beer, he told me that if I liked being punched in the mouth with hops, I would definitely enjoy this. Welp, seeing as my favorite pastime is being abused, assaulted and being held hostage by hops, I assumed this beer would deliver. Sigh. One of these days I'm going to have to stop being so trusting of people.

Where to start with this beer? I guess I'll start by saying that I had a couple of the Lagunitas Sucks bottles first, because I knew they were pretty goddamn amazing (and they were), and then I had the Tofino Brewing Hoppin' Cretin because it was a single IPA so I figured I should have that before having the TRICERAHOPS, because the TRICERAHOPS was a double IPA, you see. Thus, it contained, like, DOUBLE the amount of palate-wrecking hops contained in a meager bomber of Hoppin' Cretin.

Sadly, this beer is completely underwhelming. It pours ok. I guess I'm really bad at gauging a beer's quality by its color (and really, I hardly understand the point of a rating based upon it), but it poured a pretty nice cloudy amber. It smelled... not like a double IPA would smell. The hops were fairly anemic and kinda generic, in the way "wet grass" would smell. The malts were very noticeable in the smell, as well, which is never a great sign in a supposed "hop bomb" double IPA.

The taste was just... bland. Generally, when I have a double IPA, I expect to be smacked down by the hops. It's not masochism on my part, I've just come to expect it from the style. This beer's hop profile could barely compare to the Hoppin' Cretin single IPA I had prior to it. You could definitely tell you were drinking an IPA, but you'd be hard-pressed to pinpoint any exact flavors or aromas. When your double IPA fails to overpower or, hell, even stack up to a single IPA, you have some issues on your hands.

Initial mouthfeel isn't bad. Good carbonation, decent crispness from the hops, but then the malt just overpowers everything else. This sort of malt backing would be ideal to an overpowered, 11% IPA with an obscene amount of hops (like Hop Henge, maybe). In this beer, though, it just overpowers everything and just makes it kinda sweet and slightly cloying.

Maybe I didn't have the freshest bottle. I wouldn't know, since NINKASI (HYPE HYPE HYPE) doesn't date their bottles. I've been running into this problem quite often recently. Breweries, seriously, how about you start dating your goddamn IPAs? Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'd have many of the same qualms with it even fresh. At 8.8% ABV, I can't see the hop profile balancing out the huge malt body this beer has.

Overall, I think this is proof that hyping a beer to hell and back works. 91 rating on BA? Seriously? There are way better examples of double IPAs in Oregon, Washington, and, hell, even in BC, Canada. They don't have an awesome hype campaign like this brewery, though, so they're nowhere near as well known.

HYPE IS AWESOME NINKASI HYPE HYPE BEST BEER (if you like things that suck)

03-16-2013 07:12:45 | More by smekermann
MeneerBeerSnob

District of Columbia

4.11/5  rDev +2%

On tap at Ninkasi, poured into a pint glass.

A-Pours a burnt orange somewhat hazy, a finger of foamy white head.

S-Smells strongly of hops and sweet resin, some floral and citrus notes.

T-Strong hoppy bitterness, resin sweetness. Taste follows nose as there is also some light citrus and floral notes.

M-Medium to full body, lightly carbonated.

O-Very delicious DIPA, it strikes a good balance of hoppy bitter, sweetness and zest.

04-24-2013 16:19:56 | More by MeneerBeerSnob
mtrentm

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 22oz into a snifter

A: Orange/copper color with a nice 2-finger off-white head.

S: Hops...Lots of hops! Citrus fruits & slightly sweet toasted malt notes lingering in the background.

T: Just like the nose, sweet citrus fruits, mostly grapefruit. Caramel flavors are present from the malts. A very well balanced DIPA.

M: Medium-full bodied, thick yet creamy mouthfeel. Really nice.

D: A very drinkable DIPA one of my favorites by far! If you can get your hands on this you must try it!

03-08-2009 23:38:12 | More by mtrentm
carps12

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to suzyGreenberg. Poured into a large ale glass. Color is dark orange with yellow mixed in. Smells mild hops with orange citrus and malt. Taste however is huge. A lot of earthiness with a pineapple taste in the back of the throat with nice pine notes. Only slightly bitter which is perfect. You really taste the pine on the finish that contributes a nice earthiness to the beer. Nicely carbonated yet slick and oily. Solid DIPA.

10-15-2009 23:41:09 | More by carps12
South2NW

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%

Bomber to IPA glass.

A: Honey/Amber in color. About a 2 finger, dense head. Good retention, and lacing.

S: Hops dominate. Also smells of citrus fruits.

T: Very well balanced flavors of floral hops, pine, and citrus fruits. A little bit of malt to offset some of the bitterness.

M: Creamy, high carbonation.

O: Great IPA, very refreshing. Easy drinking for 9%.

11-25-2013 23:27:04 | More by South2NW
velmalikevelvet

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into a chilled mug on 6/30/10.

Coppery-orange & slightly clouded, with a generous, creamy head with staying power, leaving substantial lacing & no doubt it was there.

As soon as the cap was popped, the bouquet jumped out! This is the first beer I can really say smelled "floral". Grapefruit, too, in nice measure. Massive hops, just like you'd expect in a DIPA, with a nice bite. Just like it says on the bottle: "Fiercely flavorful."

Chewy in the mouth, with a decent tingle-factor. Great carbonation. Fairly begs to be paired with something spicy.

All around great beer!

07-01-2010 01:26:46 | More by velmalikevelvet
Goliveidaho

Idaho

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

CO2 growler into a 12oz glass. Foamy head with big floral aroma, lacing delicate, EKG graph circling the glass. Mouth feels very malty and satisfied. Floral oils in complex waves breaking like a gentle surf from tongue to cheek. No hint of the 8.8 ABV. I have drank this beer several times in the past and it is consistently great. The best from Ninkasi. Delightful, cheers!

Serving type: growler