Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt AleSleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Altbier |  7.20% ABV

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Ninkasi website:
"7.2% alc./vol. 50 ibus."

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009)
4.29/5  rDev +14.1%

Being a slayer fan I was super excited about this one.

A: pours an extremely dark brown with a very thin quickly disapating white head.

S: Not much going on in the nose. A bit of nuttiness, caramel malts, and a bit of cocoa Smells a bit festive would be a good way to describe this. Nothing overpowering.

T: nutty, a bit malty with slight coffee notes. with a very pronounced hop bitterness at the end that surprised me because I couldn't detect any hops in he nose. I like it a lot.

M: thin carbonation wish it was a bit more viscous. It left my lips a bit sticky.

Overall: I had high hopes for a beer that bared the name of the almighty thrash lords known as slayer. It did not let me down. I need to blast some altar of sacrifice while I enjoy this. I'd recommend this beer to any metal or hop head.

hopqaman, Nov 16, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

Great beer has got to be the #1 reason to live in the Northwest. Ninkasi is producing some remarkable contributions to the craft beer legend here. The dark couble alt, Sleighr, is a worthy offering. Beautiful mahogany color, nice enduring lacing, malty without tasting like my mom's drop bisquits. Smoth mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. Makes my day.

RedBiddy, Mar 28, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

Bomber purchased in Dec been ageing. Loved it in Dec hopefully it works even better now. Poured into standard pint.

A: dark red/brown like a the child of a red ale and a porter. Not much head from this 7.5 month old bottle and a sparse cap. Leaving adequate lacing.

S: Ethanol and dark malt. Big chocolate on the nose too. Reminds me of a 16% stout I once loved.

T: lots of chocolate taste, a little roasty, and a bit like slightly burned biscuits. The hops have setteled down a bit from what I remember but still there. A slight bitter note at the end then ethanol warming.

M: thicker side of medium with just enough chew. Smooth with just a bit of carbonation.

O: Good stuff at this age, the alcohol seems to be stronger and the hops a little less. Might have let it sit a little too long but it is still one of my favorites.

N3rdM3t4l, Jul 26, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +13%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Body is a deep brown color with garnet hilights, topped by a good amount of creamy tan head. Aroma is very malt-forward, with a nice nutty character and a good roasty backbone.
Palate is sweet and malty, nutty and slightly chocolatey. Some mild, fruity hops keep it from being an overwhelming malt blast and leave a pleasant bitterness on the finish. Body is full and a bit creamy, a very nice vehicle for the assertive flavors. I'm not sure I've had more than a couple of beers in the double-alt style, but I've sure been enjoying this one all winter long. A nice break from the usual Ninkasi hop bombs.

ElGordo, Mar 01, 2011

rfreed, Nov 04, 2012

Beardo, Sep 04, 2014

DeekNayvuz, Jan 12, 2013

ezra9876, Jul 16, 2014

Noonan425, Jan 25, 2014

zestd, Mar 29, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +13%

22oz. bottle into pint glass.

Pours a clear, medium brown color with some faint amber hues. There is rising carbonation and a slightly off white head that dissipates into a thin layer of foam.

The aroma is of robust, lightly roasted, nutty and lightly sweet malts with a very faint hop profile.

The hops come forward quite a bit more in the flavor with herbal and pine notes, though the roasted nutty, caramel malts are still very present. The hop and malt notes blend really nicely.

The mouthfeel is fairly average, medium body with fairly strong carbonation.

I usually find beers similar to this style usually are a bit tougher for me to drink through, though I found this beer extremely easily drinkable and pleasant. A very nice winter seasonal and one I will look forward to enjoying again.

vkv822, Oct 19, 2010