Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Altbier |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Ninkasi website:
"7.2% alc./vol. 50 ibus."
4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

This could very well be my first double dark alt. It's quite good.
Dark brown, nicely carbonated. The smell hints of hoppyness and roasted malt. Very smooth and balanced beer.
This bomber didn't last very long!
Another winner from Ninkasi and a nice way to treat yourself on a cold, grey winter night. (301 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I spent this evening at my best friend Ryan's house recording vocals for a new rock & rock record we've been working on together. It just so happens that both Ryan & his wife are Armenians. It also just so happens that tonight is Armenian Christmas Eve and I happen to be in an Armenian Christmas mood. What better way to celebrate their holiday AND work on a rock record than with a bottle of what I can only imagine is a seasonal liquid tribute to the mighty rock group, Slayer.

It pours a heavy brown with deep shades of red
A warming aroma & thickish white head
And tastes like fresh fruitcake with cranberry and nuts
Leave Santa the cookies
'cause this ones for us. (672 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

A wonderfully colored beer: dark brown body that's nearly black, but a beautiful shade of crimson glows as light filters through the edges. A bold aroma of crystal malt and that distinct laggery alt smell. Taste is the moderately sweet alt flavor we expect and well balanced with an amped up dose of hops. The beer's only downside is that the hop flavor is a little one-dimensional, leaving a bitter aftertaste that lacks some character. Still, a flavorful beer with voluptuous texture. Great winter drinking when one needs a break from the typical winter stouts and ales. (572 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass

A - Poured a very deep, rich brown, almost black, with a thick latte, tan colored head. Retention was a bit slow, maybe it was the way I poured this one?

S - Not much going on in the nose, mild roast, dark fruit smell, figs, plum, molasses, everything was very subtle to the nose.

T - The taste accompanies the smell. Very mild roasted malt, coffee, latte, reminded me very much of brown bread ingredients, mild fruit like figs and plums, a tad of a charcoal spicy finish.

M - Medium to Heavy body, mild carbonation, lingers in the throat for a bit.

O - Aside from boosting my egoism and having a name that made me want to enjoy this with Hell's Angels in a pool room. This was very subtle, everything is balanced, just wished it was brought out more. With a name like Sleigh, this is not a beefed up beer of this style. (853 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +4.3%

Darker ruby amber, good clarity through a light. No head and small cling lace around rim.

S - Malty bread style with some slight spices of nutmeg or Cinnamon, with some sweet stuff back in there somewhere. Took some effort to smell though with a good swoosh of the glass.

T - More of a tasty malty beer, mixed with some raisin, brown sugar, a bit woodsiness from the hops... maybe Chinook? A little nutty, a lil spicy but not much at all. Pretty balanced flavor though, not overly anything but definitely rich. A little bit of smoked wood?

M - Medium to lower carb, not dry and not too resinous but has a big aftertaste of wood or earthy spice?

O - Overall this was an interesting beer, almost reminds me of some Chinook hopped beers, but I could be wrong. Good if you like malty beers and some aftertaste, not too hoppy. Not sure of this thing though, it kinda confuses me.... But good beer. (897 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On the brewery's website it mentions this has an IBU of 50. So I was a bit confused because the draft form of this I had was a chocolate malt bomb that had bitter chocolate flavor and no hop bitterness. However it was not a bitterness I would rate at 50. It pours a very dark brown, almost black, as the label indicates. It formed a white head, which indicated that this was not as dense or containing as much roasty tones of a stout but was going to be an interesting experience. When I smelled it, it really did not have much of a scent due to it just being taken out of the fridge. But there was a bit of that dark malt scent. After the first taste, you get that maltiness up front and through the rest of the sip. There are no hops but was a bit disappointed that the chocolatey malts I got on draft was not in the bottle. It was kind of subtle. So this is totally a draft beer for sure. The mouthfeel was medium and the carbonation was the way you would want it. Overall, I gave this a 4 because its a solid beer but get it on draft. Its a much more pleasant experience. (1,075 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

I guess this one's technically a "Sticke" what with the slightly higher alcohol content, more robust malt presence, and bolder hop character than is called for in a regular Altbier. Poured this fellow into a "Stange," as this is the suggested appropriate glassware. In my eyes, it would seem more at home in a standard pint, a stein, or even a snifter. No matter, a good ale either way. Its color is a fairly clear copper-brown, reminded me of a scotch ale at first, but then I decided it was a lighter hue than the ruby-brown of that style. The head, from the side, is a uniformly-bubbled, light brown, but becomes whiter, chunkier, and finer towards the top. To me this indicates a relatively high viscosity, with some of the beer's body sticking to the medium-sized bubbles forming the head before trickling down. Head retained well. Aromatically it is definitely akin to a scotch ale, but not on the smokier/peatier side of that style. Just caramelized and toasted malts, some alcohol, and after a few whiffs, calling to mind first molasses, then brown sugar and cocoa. Toasted, somewhat smokey-tart maltiness is the first thing you notice once you finally imbibe. The sweetness is there, but not nearly as much as you might expect from the aroma. There are also notes of something fruity, strongest on the sides of the back of the tongue. Can't quite put my finger on it. With settling; bitter, piney hops balance out, and with swallowing; overcome, the malt character. This rich, smooth, medium- to full-bodied brew, with pleasant carbonation is one I'm glad I became acquainted with. Lots to notice here and I'm sure I missed something. (1,644 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 22 to a pint glass

Appearance: Reddish brown with a thick, slightly tan head that bounces a little with a touch. The beer itself is crystal clear and leaves a slight lacing

Aroma: Spicy and woody, full but not particularly rich.

Flavor: Spicy with lots of dark fruits abounding within the malt. A little syrupy sweet with brown sugar, though hops break through to wrap up the taste with bitterness then spice.

Mouthfeel: About a 3/5 thickness but not coating. Feels a lot like a root beer. (500 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

A- I think this is a very pretty beer. Super dark but translucent red. Looked almost black but the red comes through when held up to the light. A thick off-white head dissipated rather slowly.

S- As the head dissipated, sweet malts come through with a bit of sprucey hop freshness.

T- Caramel, chocolate, and other sweet malts, with just a bit of smokiness. Surprisingly well balanced for such a malty beer. Fruity in a good way.

M- Pretty thick on the palate. Low carbonation and just a bit of stickiness. Just the right amount of warmth for a Christmas beer.

O- I love it. Tastes hoppier than I would expect from a dark double atlbier (though I've never had an ale described exactly like that before this), but less bitter than the IBU rating had me bracing for - this hoppiness works brilliantly for such a sweet beer. (856 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16%

appearance - nice dark red color with a moderate head

smell - somewhat subdued compared to other Ninkasi offerings, primarily because of a minor amount of hop influence.

taste - a very smooth nicely balance malty flavor with some sweetness, clipped off just right by a background hop note.

mouthfeel - silky smooth

drinkability - excellent....perfect for a 7.2 abv brew - just up to the point of being boozy, without being so.

This is a delightful fall/winter beer, and my favorite Ninkasi brew to date. Reasonably good buy at $3.59 per bomber (still that's eqivalant to $11.75 per six-pack....which seems real high when I can pick up Jubelale for a $7 per six-pack all winter long). (688 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a big 22oz brown bottle into a glass. A dark chocolate brown, appears caramel colored and more transparent around the edges. Almost no foam in the pour, but it appears a few seconds later, maybe a third of an inch of brown stout foam.

Smell is not overpowering, but I can smell it from a foot away. Sweet like malted milk. Shortly after the pour, the smell fades away.

Very, very complex flavor. Starts a little bit sweet, quickly overwhelmed by an alcohol sting, which then transitions to increasingly more pronounced and more floral hops, leaving a hops-and-alcohol aftertaste. Some over-roasted barley underlies the whole thing. A+ for craftsmanship and complexity, but the flavors that end up dominating are not pleasant IMHO.

This beer demands to be sipped slowly - between the 7.2% ABV and the sharp hoppiness, you would not be well advised to consume in quantity. Mouthfeel is interesting between the alternating flavors, but so many sharp flavors predominate that this doesn't weigh in its favor in my rating.

This would be a fantastic beer for someone (for example, the one raving about it sitting next to me.) Just not for me. (1,152 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -7.2%

I tried Sleigh'r for the first time last night; I really didn't know what to expect, honestly. I ended up really enjoying it though - it was dark and smoothe, but not so smoothe that I couldn't down it all at once. It's a good beer to have during the holidays over a longer stretch of time.

Again, I've yet to have anything negative to say about anything from Ninkasi Brewing! Check this one out, or anything else they offer. Great stuff! (439 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -7.7%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. No freshness info. This bottle has been in my fridge for a month or so and I am just now getting to it. Pours a lovely light brown color with an inch of lumpy foam. Good lacing. Sweet malt on the nose with slight roasted notes and an herbal bitter quality. Hints of dark chocolate. Fairly full bodied with a nice, round mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Good drinkability for 7.2abv. The nutty taste of the roasted malt prevails all the way through to the finish. The bitterness that comes from the hops doesn't really complement the rest of the flavor profile. I don't think the style needs this much hop bitterness. They stayed true to the style but I feel like they upped the hops along with the alcohol and the result is too bitter. Not bad though. Something different but nothing great. (825 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a deep dark brown with a thick off-white head. Leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

I'm not really picking much up on the nose. Roasted malt.

Taste is definitely more pronounced than the smell. Very bready and malty, there's some nuttiness as well. Nice bitter hop finish that matches the malt well.

Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation and dry finish. Good drinkability as well. (392 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours dark with a thick and creamy hazel-colored foam. Coffee, roasted marshmallows, caramel and a whiff of fresh hops escape the rim and hit my nose. Well balanced and fresh smelling which is nice and surprising.

The smooth nose continues on the palate where each component of roasted malts, hops and alcohol blend harmoniously, creating a very enjoyable beer; especially if you happen to sit in front of a fireplace during a cold winter night. It is delicate, yet robust in its composition, successfully creating an alt beer which has gone to the Dark Side. (561 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Malty and earthy from what I'm guessing is noble hops. Not my normal style of beer I would choose but I got it because I was going to a slayer concert. It was a hit with all the people going. I think it was more on the novelty of it, but it was a fun beer to try. (263 characters)

3.75/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours dark brown with hints of red. Light gets through, but not much. Frothy head with significant lacing.

S - Mmmm... malt and alcohol. Not much hop character detected in the aroma.

T - On the sweet side, which is not a bad thing. And at 50 IBU, it's just bitter enough. Pleasant alcohol level. Seems right on target for a 1.068 OG brew. Nice. Sort of like a Belgian double mixed with a British brown ale or darker bock.

M - Not too heavy, not too thin. A little stickiness on the lips. Slightly warming, but not overly so.

D - I just killed a bomber inside of an hour and could easily get started on another one... if I had one. (638 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

A: Dark red, almost black, with a foamy cream-colored head.

S: Caramel, nuts, some sort of flowery hops. Definitely not used to smelling a combination like this. This is a new style to me, but so far I like this.

T: Sweet roasted malts, a little bit of nuttiness. There's a nice floral hop bitterness underneath it.

M: The carbonation might be a bit much on any other beer, but it's good here. Helps everything down and feels good on the tongue.

D: I'm farther down this beer than I realized between when I started this review and now. It's really delicious. (563 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Deep brown. Almost completely opaque. Moderate head and lacing.

S - Toasty malts. Sweetness and spices.

T - Roasted malty sweetness. Toffee and caramel. Deep and complex flavors. Little to no hop flavor, but nice hop bitterness.

M - Surprisingly light and drinkable. Lingering bitterness.

O - Liking this beer a lot. Definitely on the malty side, but has a nice slight spice and long bitterness. I like the warm balance it creates with the alcohol. Went great with my lamb sausage. Sweet beer, smoky lamb. (513 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12oz bottle as part of a Ninkasi brewers box. Sleighr is dark amber, almost black in the glass. An enthusiastic pour produces a rather disappointing thin head that dissipates quickly. This disappointment didn't last long because this brew tasted great. It does taste malty, but certainly not overly so. The smell and taste are somewhat akin to fermented blackberry. A mild Christmas beer with a well camouflaged ABV at 7.2 it taste more like a 5.5.

Overall a very enjoyable beer. Glad Ninkasi is holding it down for us folks here in Oregon. (557 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

Great beer has got to be the #1 reason to live in the Northwest. Ninkasi is producing some remarkable contributions to the craft beer legend here. The dark couble alt, Sleighr, is a worthy offering. Beautiful mahogany color, nice enduring lacing, malty without tasting like my mom's drop bisquits. Smoth mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. Makes my day. (352 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +4%

To me this drinks more like a strong ale than an alt. Really enjoyable and the malty sweetness and slight hoppiness paired very well with the halibut I had it with. I've gotten out of the habit of buying Ninkasi, but this was leftover from a six pack that my son in law had bought, so I'm glad he left it! I'd definitely buy this once in a while during the winter season. (371 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from memory; served in a red solo cup and shared profusely.

Pours a deep, dark nut-brown with a thin lacy head. Tasted just plain awesome, with thick, sweet notes of molasses and malt with a refreshing evergreen hop bite. Went down smooth and easy despite the ABV. I didn't get to try a whole lot of it for myself, but I'm glad I didn't give it all away! (364 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearence: Dark brown with a fairly decent cream colored head, that eventually gives way to some nice lacing.

Smell: Not overwhelming, predominantly roasted malts, but nothing distinctive.

Taste: Almost like a nut brown. Roasted malts... picking up on a touch of apple. Hoppy without it being overwhelming or the main focus of the beer. Hints of chocolate as it reaches the back of the tongue. Not as complex as I was hoping for.

Mouthfeel: Fairly crisp and light. Good carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and light for a winter ale. (545 characters)

Pours a dark amber with mildly off white head. Retention is medium. Malt forward flavor profile with hints of dark fruit and bread plus mild tobacco notes. Bitterness is medium, lingering well into a dry finish. The hop character is very subdued in both aroma and flavor, but is apparent though balanced throughout. A good drinker, but not session material at 7.2% (364 characters)

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale from Ninkasi Brewing Company