Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt AleSleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Altbier

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Ninkasi website:
"7.2% alc./vol. 50 ibus."

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009

Reviews: 166 | Ratings: 557
3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice deep color, with a thick creamy head.
Definitely on the sweeter side of things, with some spices comming through as they should.
Ninkasi continues to impress. Very drinkable.

blind beer #3 from flexabull

A:3.5 pours a very dark brown, almost black color. off white head that wasn't very big and didn't last too long. left a decent amount of lacing as it was consumed.

S:3.5 roasted, caramel malts. some spices in there. nothing too exciting or overpowering

T:3.5 very similar in taste as smell. caramel malts, roastiness, bread, biscuit, brown sugar. still getting some spice as well. also some dark fruit nestled in there.

M:3.5 decent. slightly thin at first. good carbonation.

D:3.5 so so. not too complex.

Finally getting around to trying this one!

A - Pours a deep, dark brown (almost black), with a two-finger off-white head. Head retention and lacing is on the creamy/thick side.

S - Alot going on here! Caramel, molasses, cocoa, nuttiness, a hint of fruits (orange, cherry), and subtle hops.

T - Superbly balanced. Taste is of roasted, cocoa/coffee like malts with some nutty and smoked/peat like tones (like a scotch ale), and finishes with a bouquet of subtle, floral hops. Right around the middle ground between malty and hoppy.

M - Medium bodied and light carbonation, with a semi-bready texture to it.

D - Pretty drinkable for 7.2%, but I still wouldn't session it.

Overall - A nice little gem in the winter ale/altbier categories, and with a rad name to boot! If you're looking for a solid, balanced beer that's on the darker side without being quite as bitter/roasted tasting as a porter or stout, you'll enjoy this one.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

As far as I can remember, this is one of my favorite Ninkasi beers, but I haven't had it in a while, and the brewery has expanded a lot over the last couple of years. A interesting (and aggressive) pour yields a one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is about half creamy and fluffy looking and half somewhat soapy and bubbly, but that is probably due to the aggressive pour. The head is an extremely light brown, maybe even more off-white than light brown, that's how light it is. The lacing looks like it will be great, but we will have to see for sure as I get down the glass. The head retention was pretty good, it hung around for quite some time. Now, after about 5 minutes, I still have some bubbles on top of the body. The body is very dark, but for sure not black. It has some black in it, but also brown and ruby. Visibility is zero. I can't really see the carbonation due to the color. Overall it's a nice body, slightly unique for a winter beer - having red in it and all, but then again I'm not familiar with the style. Either way it's still a good look. We will see how the lacing goes, but this is a good looking beer so far. On the nose I get just a wonderful malt smell. Very full, rich, deep malt aroma. Roasty and chocolatey too. Perhaps a touch of coffee on the nose as well. Not a whole lot in the way of hops, and frankly not a whole lot other than the great malt smell. It's a solid 4, but a few other aromas could go a long way. With that being said, it still smells great. Yeah, this is a nice beer, pretty close to what I remember too. You get that nice, chocolatey malt flavor up front. Frankly it's not as dominating as I was expecting, which is a little disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. It's also extremely sweet, malty sweet. I like the sweetness, but it may be a hair too much. Not much going on in the way of hops at all. A little bit of spices perhaps, there seems to be something other than delicious malts going on here. Kind of like a cinnamon vibe. I doubt it's cinnamon that's in here, but something in that realm. This beer is more than just your average winter beer, but just by a little bit. I don't think it has enough to be a 4.5. It's a solid 4, but let it be known that it's a little more than just a nice malty beer. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's slightly thinnger than I would like, but it's not bad. It for sure has some thickness to it, just not quite as thick as I want in a hearty winter beer. The carbonation is for sure low, but that works in a winter beer. It may be a hair lower than it should be, but overall it's good for the style. It has a slightly creamy feel to the mouth as well. Even though I really like the mouthfeel, it does have some areas it needs to improve on. It's really right in between a 3.5 and a 4. The lack of carbonation and body makes me want to give this beer a 3.5 for feel. However, the carbonation and body are both very close to being spot on, and I really like the slight creaminess, and really the overall feel, enough to give it a 4. For being 7.2% ABV, this beer is DAMN drinkable! I would have never guessed this beer was 7.2% if the bottle didn't say it. It really drinks like a 5.5% or a 6% beer, great drinkability. Overall it's a solid beer. Not the most amazing beer ever, but for sure one I will have again. There really isn't anything wrong with the flavor at all, it just doesn't have enough pizzazz to be more than a good beer. So, overall, it's a good beer.

The flavor really started to get sweet. The malts still played a big role, but I would say that the sweetness may have become more dominant.

The appearance turned out to be...eh, not bad. The lacing was there, but it wasn't that pretty. It was somewhat patchy and EXTREMELY soapy and bubbly. It didn't look like your average lacing at all, rather - worse than average. I'm not quite sure how to grade this because the head was nice. The body wasn't really amazing, but better than average I supposed, for sure unique regardless. The lacing wasn't bad, just...not my cup of tea. I'm going to give it a 3.5 for appearance. I could give it a 4 but...I wouldn't say I've cut this beer any breaks, but there have been a few grades that I gave a 4 to instead of a 3.5 already.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from 22 into tulip...

A: Pours a dark amber bordering on chocolate, ruby hints in the light, creamy tan head forms two fingers and leaves pretty good lacing as it falls, head retention is really pretty good, very pillowy.

S: Light caramel malt, toasty biscuit yeast profile, leather and faint tobacco, very earthy for an alt style. No real hop presence, surprising from Ninkasi, they usually dump them in by the bucketful regardless of the style...

T: Taste follows the nose very similarly, well balanced caramel malt, very toasty biscuit, tobacco and leather comes through a little more and adds to the complexity. The hops are present in the taste and come through in the finish to provide some nice bitters and crisp everything up. As it warms up more dark fruit flavors are noticed on the front of palate, definitely pick up on figs. Very nice flavor profile over all.

M: Very smooth, medium body with nice carbonation. Head retention throughout beer provides a nice creaminess that makes it even smoother and the alcohol is never noticed making this 7.2% brew very drinkable.

D: Very smooth and drinkable and as stated the abv goes unnoticed and the hops make it refreshingly crisp. Very well done Ninkasi. This is a solid altbier and very representative of the style, just wish it had a little more uniqueness for a winter beer, but can't fault it for style points.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

bomber received in the latest with james...

a-pours a dark cola brown color with ample carb bubbles as it fills the glass....small one finger slight off white head..

s-rich nutty malts...reminds me a lot of naughty goose....chocolaty and roast...

t-zero hops..this is all malt...rich caramel and toffee...some nougat and a bit of nuttiness...finishes rich

m-creamy and smooth...carbonation is great and this really coats the mouth well...

d-easy drinking and would def seek this out again

overall another solid brew sent my way...thanks again bro

SLAAAYYER!!! kinda.

Pours a nice crisp herbal, off-brown, cream white head. Interesting balance between malt and hops. It leans towards the sweeter side. This is a very malty, dark, herbed beverage. I feel like I'm drinking an extremely toned down shot of Fernet. The flavors remind me of winter. There's definitely a nice pine malt/hop bitterness to it that seems to be the main theme of this drink. Notes of pine and annis are definitely in your face. I've had a cookie that resembles the flavor of this beer. The mouthfeel is smooth and is easy to drink. The herbal notes are definitely not bad, but I think after one of these bottles, I'm good for a week or two. This is my third bottle in two months. It definitely makes you want drink it again, just not in a hurry. This is definitely one of the more unique holiday beers.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

A fairly light black slightly see through no head

A bit Of roasted malt in the nose some toffee and Carmel but it's hard to pick up

Taste is slight roast malt coffee chocolate but nothing stands out to hard I'm a little disappointed by this usually ninkasi is a brewery that really jumps out and brings it strong but this is sort of weak

Very light mouthfeel despite the abv

A pretty good beer overall but doesn't do a whole lot for me

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber with respectible off white head.

Nice roasted malt/coffee smell. Taste is a little dry. You get a lot of the roast flavors, but not much else. Not a sweet beer, not a bitter beer, definitely a roasty beer.

Beer is medium Bodied, which leads to it being fairly drinkable. Roast flavor though asks for a little of your time between sips.

I'm not sure how to feel about this beer. Initially, this is my first experience with an alt (which I bravely will be brewing in the next few weeks). With a beer this dark I usually expect it to deliver a little more sweetness. It smells delightful, to be sure, but taste is simply roasty. If that is your bag then this beer will be awesome. I think it would be much improved if it had a bit more sweetness to it. Then again that may well just be the style.

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber purchased in Dec been ageing. Loved it in Dec hopefully it works even better now. Poured into standard pint.

A: dark red/brown like a the child of a red ale and a porter. Not much head from this 7.5 month old bottle and a sparse cap. Leaving adequate lacing.

S: Ethanol and dark malt. Big chocolate on the nose too. Reminds me of a 16% stout I once loved.

T: lots of chocolate taste, a little roasty, and a bit like slightly burned biscuits. The hops have setteled down a bit from what I remember but still there. A slight bitter note at the end then ethanol warming.

M: thicker side of medium with just enough chew. Smooth with just a bit of carbonation.

O: Good stuff at this age, the alcohol seems to be stronger and the hops a little less. Might have let it sit a little too long but it is still one of my favorites.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

This is a 6 month old bottle. Pours a diet coke caramel brown with a small head that remains for awhile. Smell is faint sugar cookie and yeast. Taste is mild and pleasant. Most of the hop bitterness present fresh has disappeared but has left a sweet and refreshing drink. Figs, fruitcake, apricot, brown sugar. The mouthfeel is thin and appropriate for the style. Pretty dry finish. The alcohol is very well hidden. A pleasant beer, ignore the letter rating.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a very dark brown with tinges of amber and a light tan head.

S: Rich, malty and nutty with toasted caramel, bread crusts, pine and dark fruits.

T: Malty, nutty and toasty with a good deal of grassy hop bitterness. Roasty and toffee-like, with a long toasty and bitter finish. The grassy, medicinal quality of the hops and the bitter roastiness comes across as a bit harsh.

F: A tad over medium-bodied, silky oily mouthfeel, understated carbonation, mild warmth.

Overall: Interesting aroma, but the bitterness really throws off the balance. This probably would have been a great and certainly more drinkable beer if the bitterness had been dialed back a bit to let the malty brown ale quality take over.

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass

A - Poured a very deep, rich brown, almost black, with a thick latte, tan colored head. Retention was a bit slow, maybe it was the way I poured this one?

S - Not much going on in the nose, mild roast, dark fruit smell, figs, plum, molasses, everything was very subtle to the nose.

T - The taste accompanies the smell. Very mild roasted malt, coffee, latte, reminded me very much of brown bread ingredients, mild fruit like figs and plums, a tad of a charcoal spicy finish.

M - Medium to Heavy body, mild carbonation, lingers in the throat for a bit.

O - Aside from boosting my egoism and having a name that made me want to enjoy this with Hell's Angels in a pool room. This was very subtle, everything is balanced, just wished it was brought out more. With a name like Sleigh, this is not a beefed up beer of this style.

4.44/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first tried this beer while in Idaho on a search for a new home. I had never heard of it and gave it a try, and I enjoyed it immensely. If I could drink this all the time, for the price, well I think I'll get it whenever I can when its available. Its that good.

Pours a deep red, almost black but can see some light through it. Decent size head that falls to a ring with some bubbles. Heavy lacing on the side of glass throughout drinking it.

Smell is roasted barley and specialty malts. Some rye bread, some coffee, and bittering hops.

Taste is very good with good amount of bitter from malt, which I am a fan of. Big roasty flavor with a bready, malty, caramel like flavor in the middle, with a short finish of bittering hops. Also a tad bit of cherry flavor as well if you dig in. 7.2 abv hits the spot as I like beer that gives me a buzz for the price. Very clean taste overall, and I can't find any off flavors.

It's got medium carbonation, with a kind of light mouthfeel. Little can be said about the style as I've only had a few alt ales, most of which were very good. This is just a great winter warmer beer that is readily available on the west coast.

Over all I have to recommend this to anyone that likes darker sessionable beers. It's almost in the realm of a stout or porter, but not quite there.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

This could very well be my first double dark alt. It's quite good.
Dark brown, nicely carbonated. The smell hints of hoppyness and roasted malt. Very smooth and balanced beer.
This bomber didn't last very long!
Another winner from Ninkasi and a nice way to treat yourself on a cold, grey winter night.

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I spent this evening at my best friend Ryan's house recording vocals for a new rock & rock record we've been working on together. It just so happens that both Ryan & his wife are Armenians. It also just so happens that tonight is Armenian Christmas Eve and I happen to be in an Armenian Christmas mood. What better way to celebrate their holiday AND work on a rock record than with a bottle of what I can only imagine is a seasonal liquid tribute to the mighty rock group, Slayer.

It pours a heavy brown with deep shades of red
A warming aroma & thickish white head
And tastes like fresh fruitcake with cranberry and nuts
Leave Santa the cookies
'cause this ones for us.

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

A wonderfully colored beer: dark brown body that's nearly black, but a beautiful shade of crimson glows as light filters through the edges. A bold aroma of crystal malt and that distinct laggery alt smell. Taste is the moderately sweet alt flavor we expect and well balanced with an amped up dose of hops. The beer's only downside is that the hop flavor is a little one-dimensional, leaving a bitter aftertaste that lacks some character. Still, a flavorful beer with voluptuous texture. Great winter drinking when one needs a break from the typical winter stouts and ales.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

appearance - nice dark red color with a moderate head

smell - somewhat subdued compared to other Ninkasi offerings, primarily because of a minor amount of hop influence.

taste - a very smooth nicely balance malty flavor with some sweetness, clipped off just right by a background hop note.

mouthfeel - silky smooth

drinkability - excellent....perfect for a 7.2 abv brew - just up to the point of being boozy, without being so.

This is a delightful fall/winter beer, and my favorite Ninkasi brew to date. Reasonably good buy at $3.59 per bomber (still that's eqivalant to $11.75 per six-pack....which seems real high when I can pick up Jubelale for a $7 per six-pack all winter long).

3.91/5  rDev +3.7%

Darker ruby amber, good clarity through a light. No head and small cling lace around rim.

S - Malty bread style with some slight spices of nutmeg or Cinnamon, with some sweet stuff back in there somewhere. Took some effort to smell though with a good swoosh of the glass.

T - More of a tasty malty beer, mixed with some raisin, brown sugar, a bit woodsiness from the hops... maybe Chinook? A little nutty, a lil spicy but not much at all. Pretty balanced flavor though, not overly anything but definitely rich. A little bit of smoked wood?

M - Medium to lower carb, not dry and not too resinous but has a big aftertaste of wood or earthy spice?

O - Overall this was an interesting beer, almost reminds me of some Chinook hopped beers, but I could be wrong. Good if you like malty beers and some aftertaste, not too hoppy. Not sure of this thing though, it kinda confuses me.... But good beer.

3.66/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On the brewery's website it mentions this has an IBU of 50. So I was a bit confused because the draft form of this I had was a chocolate malt bomb that had bitter chocolate flavor and no hop bitterness. However it was not a bitterness I would rate at 50. It pours a very dark brown, almost black, as the label indicates. It formed a white head, which indicated that this was not as dense or containing as much roasty tones of a stout but was going to be an interesting experience. When I smelled it, it really did not have much of a scent due to it just being taken out of the fridge. But there was a bit of that dark malt scent. After the first taste, you get that maltiness up front and through the rest of the sip. There are no hops but was a bit disappointed that the chocolatey malts I got on draft was not in the bottle. It was kind of subtle. So this is totally a draft beer for sure. The mouthfeel was medium and the carbonation was the way you would want it. Overall, I gave this a 4 because its a solid beer but get it on draft. Its a much more pleasant experience.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 22 to a pint glass

Appearance: Reddish brown with a thick, slightly tan head that bounces a little with a touch. The beer itself is crystal clear and leaves a slight lacing

Aroma: Spicy and woody, full but not particularly rich.

Flavor: Spicy with lots of dark fruits abounding within the malt. A little syrupy sweet with brown sugar, though hops break through to wrap up the taste with bitterness then spice.

Mouthfeel: About a 3/5 thickness but not coating. Feels a lot like a root beer.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle No bottling info

Pours a brown body that turns reddish and becomes a little clearer when held up to the light. Off white head has good lacing, fair retention.

Smell is malt forward with chocolate and a nutmeg type of spice.

Taste is a nice mellow malt.It doesn't go crazy. it's just there. A little chocolate that leads to an aftertaste that has a marzen-like crispness to it. I can't taste the 7.20 alcohol...

Nice full feel

This beer fits like a glove. Malt forward without being a malt bomb... Followed by a wonderful Marzen like crispness...Bravo !

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a rich, dark maple brown, with a light tan head that retreats almost immediately but leaves a glorious work of lacing. Aroma is fruit and carmel, sort of feint, but rather pleasant. Taste is sweet, the essence of bananas and malt, slightly cinnamon spiced. Mouth feel is nice, lighter than I expected and exceptionally smooth.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

A- I think this is a very pretty beer. Super dark but translucent red. Looked almost black but the red comes through when held up to the light. A thick off-white head dissipated rather slowly.

S- As the head dissipated, sweet malts come through with a bit of sprucey hop freshness.

T- Caramel, chocolate, and other sweet malts, with just a bit of smokiness. Surprisingly well balanced for such a malty beer. Fruity in a good way.

M- Pretty thick on the palate. Low carbonation and just a bit of stickiness. Just the right amount of warmth for a Christmas beer.

O- I love it. Tastes hoppier than I would expect from a dark double atlbier (though I've never had an ale described exactly like that before this), but less bitter than the IBU rating had me bracing for - this hoppiness works brilliantly for such a sweet beer.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

had this on tap in a pint glass
pours amber to brown with a thick tan head that lasted
smells boozy fruity and nutty reminded me of sam smiths winter welcome
taste nutty chocolate fruity and boozy
feel warming somewhat viscous