Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt AleSleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Altbier |  7.20% ABV

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Ninkasi website:
"7.2% alc./vol. 50 ibus."

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009)

MikeDre, Dec 28, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

As far as I can remember, this is one of my favorite Ninkasi beers, but I haven't had it in a while, and the brewery has expanded a lot over the last couple of years. A interesting (and aggressive) pour yields a one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is about half creamy and fluffy looking and half somewhat soapy and bubbly, but that is probably due to the aggressive pour. The head is an extremely light brown, maybe even more off-white than light brown, that's how light it is. The lacing looks like it will be great, but we will have to see for sure as I get down the glass. The head retention was pretty good, it hung around for quite some time. Now, after about 5 minutes, I still have some bubbles on top of the body. The body is very dark, but for sure not black. It has some black in it, but also brown and ruby. Visibility is zero. I can't really see the carbonation due to the color. Overall it's a nice body, slightly unique for a winter beer - having red in it and all, but then again I'm not familiar with the style. Either way it's still a good look. We will see how the lacing goes, but this is a good looking beer so far. On the nose I get just a wonderful malt smell. Very full, rich, deep malt aroma. Roasty and chocolatey too. Perhaps a touch of coffee on the nose as well. Not a whole lot in the way of hops, and frankly not a whole lot other than the great malt smell. It's a solid 4, but a few other aromas could go a long way. With that being said, it still smells great. Yeah, this is a nice beer, pretty close to what I remember too. You get that nice, chocolatey malt flavor up front. Frankly it's not as dominating as I was expecting, which is a little disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. It's also extremely sweet, malty sweet. I like the sweetness, but it may be a hair too much. Not much going on in the way of hops at all. A little bit of spices perhaps, there seems to be something other than delicious malts going on here. Kind of like a cinnamon vibe. I doubt it's cinnamon that's in here, but something in that realm. This beer is more than just your average winter beer, but just by a little bit. I don't think it has enough to be a 4.5. It's a solid 4, but let it be known that it's a little more than just a nice malty beer. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's slightly thinnger than I would like, but it's not bad. It for sure has some thickness to it, just not quite as thick as I want in a hearty winter beer. The carbonation is for sure low, but that works in a winter beer. It may be a hair lower than it should be, but overall it's good for the style. It has a slightly creamy feel to the mouth as well. Even though I really like the mouthfeel, it does have some areas it needs to improve on. It's really right in between a 3.5 and a 4. The lack of carbonation and body makes me want to give this beer a 3.5 for feel. However, the carbonation and body are both very close to being spot on, and I really like the slight creaminess, and really the overall feel, enough to give it a 4. For being 7.2% ABV, this beer is DAMN drinkable! I would have never guessed this beer was 7.2% if the bottle didn't say it. It really drinks like a 5.5% or a 6% beer, great drinkability. Overall it's a solid beer. Not the most amazing beer ever, but for sure one I will have again. There really isn't anything wrong with the flavor at all, it just doesn't have enough pizzazz to be more than a good beer. So, overall, it's a good beer.

The flavor really started to get sweet. The malts still played a big role, but I would say that the sweetness may have become more dominant.

The appearance turned out to be...eh, not bad. The lacing was there, but it wasn't that pretty. It was somewhat patchy and EXTREMELY soapy and bubbly. It didn't look like your average lacing at all, rather - worse than average. I'm not quite sure how to grade this because the head was nice. The body wasn't really amazing, but better than average I supposed, for sure unique regardless. The lacing wasn't bad, just...not my cup of tea. I'm going to give it a 3.5 for appearance. I could give it a 4 but...I wouldn't say I've cut this beer any breaks, but there have been a few grades that I gave a 4 to instead of a 3.5 already.

MaltsOfGlory, Mar 13, 2012

lighthabit, Oct 14, 2013

cornpone, Jan 21, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Quite dark and slightly reddish hue, with tan head. Taste is toasted malts, pretty bitter but smooth.

souvenirs, Nov 02, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

bomber received in the latest with james...

a-pours a dark cola brown color with ample carb bubbles as it fills the glass....small one finger slight off white head..

s-rich nutty malts...reminds me a lot of naughty goose....chocolaty and roast...

t-zero hops..this is all malt...rich caramel and toffee...some nougat and a bit of nuttiness...finishes rich

m-creamy and smooth...carbonation is great and this really coats the mouth well...

d-easy drinking and would def seek this out again

overall another solid brew sent my way...thanks again bro

stoutfiend27, Jan 19, 2011

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

Beerme5, Oct 25, 2013
3.91/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Beyond brilliant clarity, but very weak head-so it's a push there. Dark amber/copper.

S: Alluringly rich aroma. Chocolate and caramel with light fruity esters that I'd have to identify as fig and grape. They work in combination and seem very festive.

M: Medium body. A little harsher than smooth, but not unpleasant. Moderately high carbonation. Rising astringency.

T: High malt character. Some dark fruit flavors and perfume from hops. Kola nut flavor really reminds me of Christmas, but just because of those Coca-Cola cans. Still, this beer works psychologically. Probably not as good as the rating suggests. Earthy flavors and very nut-like finish. Slight metallics really linger in the aftertaste.

orcrist_cleaver, Nov 17, 2014

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Justin-m, Aug 17, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

SLAAAYYER!!! kinda.

Pours a nice crisp herbal, off-brown, cream white head. Interesting balance between malt and hops. It leans towards the sweeter side. This is a very malty, dark, herbed beverage. I feel like I'm drinking an extremely toned down shot of Fernet. The flavors remind me of winter. There's definitely a nice pine malt/hop bitterness to it that seems to be the main theme of this drink. Notes of pine and annis are definitely in your face. I've had a cookie that resembles the flavor of this beer. The mouthfeel is smooth and is easy to drink. The herbal notes are definitely not bad, but I think after one of these bottles, I'm good for a week or two. This is my third bottle in two months. It definitely makes you want drink it again, just not in a hurry. This is definitely one of the more unique holiday beers.

100floods, Nov 28, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

A fairly light black slightly see through no head

A bit Of roasted malt in the nose some toffee and Carmel but it's hard to pick up

Taste is slight roast malt coffee chocolate but nothing stands out to hard I'm a little disappointed by this usually ninkasi is a brewery that really jumps out and brings it strong but this is sort of weak

Very light mouthfeel despite the abv

A pretty good beer overall but doesn't do a whole lot for me

Elimination, Nov 20, 2010

PacNWDad, Jan 02, 2012

Flathead_Monster, Nov 29, 2013

woodenbones, Jan 04, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber with respectible off white head.

Nice roasted malt/coffee smell. Taste is a little dry. You get a lot of the roast flavors, but not much else. Not a sweet beer, not a bitter beer, definitely a roasty beer.

Beer is medium Bodied, which leads to it being fairly drinkable. Roast flavor though asks for a little of your time between sips.

I'm not sure how to feel about this beer. Initially, this is my first experience with an alt (which I bravely will be brewing in the next few weeks). With a beer this dark I usually expect it to deliver a little more sweetness. It smells delightful, to be sure, but taste is simply roasty. If that is your bag then this beer will be awesome. I think it would be much improved if it had a bit more sweetness to it. Then again that may well just be the style.

Ghenna, Dec 17, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber purchased in Dec been ageing. Loved it in Dec hopefully it works even better now. Poured into standard pint.

A: dark red/brown like a the child of a red ale and a porter. Not much head from this 7.5 month old bottle and a sparse cap. Leaving adequate lacing.

S: Ethanol and dark malt. Big chocolate on the nose too. Reminds me of a 16% stout I once loved.

T: lots of chocolate taste, a little roasty, and a bit like slightly burned biscuits. The hops have setteled down a bit from what I remember but still there. A slight bitter note at the end then ethanol warming.

M: thicker side of medium with just enough chew. Smooth with just a bit of carbonation.

O: Good stuff at this age, the alcohol seems to be stronger and the hops a little less. Might have let it sit a little too long but it is still one of my favorites.

N3rdM3t4l, Jul 26, 2012