Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Altbier |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Ninkasi website:
"7.2% alc./vol. 50 ibus."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 487 | Reviews: 149
4.23/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber purchased in Dec been ageing. Loved it in Dec hopefully it works even better now. Poured into standard pint.

A: dark red/brown like a the child of a red ale and a porter. Not much head from this 7.5 month old bottle and a sparse cap. Leaving adequate lacing.

S: Ethanol and dark malt. Big chocolate on the nose too. Reminds me of a 16% stout I once loved.

T: lots of chocolate taste, a little roasty, and a bit like slightly burned biscuits. The hops have setteled down a bit from what I remember but still there. A slight bitter note at the end then ethanol warming.

M: thicker side of medium with just enough chew. Smooth with just a bit of carbonation.

O: Good stuff at this age, the alcohol seems to be stronger and the hops a little less. Might have let it sit a little too long but it is still one of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Review from 11/2010 notes. Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a dark brown with red highlights; light head and lacing. Aroma of fruit, bread and malt. Medium body. Malty flavor with a peppery bite in the middle. Roasty and dark malt, light fruit, a bit of nut, some cocoa, mild hops. Dry spicy finish. A nice revisitable seasonal ale. This really grew on me as I finished the glass.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

As far as I can remember, this is one of my favorite Ninkasi beers, but I haven't had it in a while, and the brewery has expanded a lot over the last couple of years. A interesting (and aggressive) pour yields a one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is about half creamy and fluffy looking and half somewhat soapy and bubbly, but that is probably due to the aggressive pour. The head is an extremely light brown, maybe even more off-white than light brown, that's how light it is. The lacing looks like it will be great, but we will have to see for sure as I get down the glass. The head retention was pretty good, it hung around for quite some time. Now, after about 5 minutes, I still have some bubbles on top of the body. The body is very dark, but for sure not black. It has some black in it, but also brown and ruby. Visibility is zero. I can't really see the carbonation due to the color. Overall it's a nice body, slightly unique for a winter beer - having red in it and all, but then again I'm not familiar with the style. Either way it's still a good look. We will see how the lacing goes, but this is a good looking beer so far. On the nose I get just a wonderful malt smell. Very full, rich, deep malt aroma. Roasty and chocolatey too. Perhaps a touch of coffee on the nose as well. Not a whole lot in the way of hops, and frankly not a whole lot other than the great malt smell. It's a solid 4, but a few other aromas could go a long way. With that being said, it still smells great. Yeah, this is a nice beer, pretty close to what I remember too. You get that nice, chocolatey malt flavor up front. Frankly it's not as dominating as I was expecting, which is a little disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. It's also extremely sweet, malty sweet. I like the sweetness, but it may be a hair too much. Not much going on in the way of hops at all. A little bit of spices perhaps, there seems to be something other than delicious malts going on here. Kind of like a cinnamon vibe. I doubt it's cinnamon that's in here, but something in that realm. This beer is more than just your average winter beer, but just by a little bit. I don't think it has enough to be a 4.5. It's a solid 4, but let it be known that it's a little more than just a nice malty beer. The mouthfeel isn't bad. It's slightly thinnger than I would like, but it's not bad. It for sure has some thickness to it, just not quite as thick as I want in a hearty winter beer. The carbonation is for sure low, but that works in a winter beer. It may be a hair lower than it should be, but overall it's good for the style. It has a slightly creamy feel to the mouth as well. Even though I really like the mouthfeel, it does have some areas it needs to improve on. It's really right in between a 3.5 and a 4. The lack of carbonation and body makes me want to give this beer a 3.5 for feel. However, the carbonation and body are both very close to being spot on, and I really like the slight creaminess, and really the overall feel, enough to give it a 4. For being 7.2% ABV, this beer is DAMN drinkable! I would have never guessed this beer was 7.2% if the bottle didn't say it. It really drinks like a 5.5% or a 6% beer, great drinkability. Overall it's a solid beer. Not the most amazing beer ever, but for sure one I will have again. There really isn't anything wrong with the flavor at all, it just doesn't have enough pizzazz to be more than a good beer. So, overall, it's a good beer.

The flavor really started to get sweet. The malts still played a big role, but I would say that the sweetness may have become more dominant.

The appearance turned out to be...eh, not bad. The lacing was there, but it wasn't that pretty. It was somewhat patchy and EXTREMELY soapy and bubbly. It didn't look like your average lacing at all, rather - worse than average. I'm not quite sure how to grade this because the head was nice. The body wasn't really amazing, but better than average I supposed, for sure unique regardless. The lacing wasn't bad, just...not my cup of tea. I'm going to give it a 3.5 for appearance. I could give it a 4 but...I wouldn't say I've cut this beer any breaks, but there have been a few grades that I gave a 4 to instead of a 3.5 already.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bomber. From Winter 2011 pack. Served in a goblet.

Pours a dark, slightly translucent brown with a 2 finger beige head. Settles fairly quickly. Lots of lacing left in glass.

Aroma is mostly dark malt, slightly sweet, slightly roasted. Dark fruits. Bright hops in the background.

Flavor is dark roasted malt with a ton of fruit notes. Fruit is lighter and sweeter than the nose. Apple, pear, banana. Spicy hops mix things up. Caramel sweetness sneaks through. Alcohol is mostly hidden.

Medium bodied with medium-light carbonation. A touch thick.

Overall, solid and smooth. A nice winter brew, and mild given the biggish ABV.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

This one pours a beer bottle brown with a medium size tan head. Retention and lacing are good; the big bubbles and patches of foam take a while to scarper off.

The nose is all malt; yet slight wood tones and ripe fruit seep their way in. Roasted chocolate tones and spice do a decent job of keeping things interesting.

50 IBU's seems high for the amount of bitterness I get, yet the finish is quite resinous and dry when I think about it. The alcohol announces itself much more in the taste, and accents the malt-heavy profile quite well. Ripe cherries and chalky yeast flavors do a good job of adding some spunk.

The medium body has a nice chewy quality. That, mixed with the dry chalky finish, makes for a good mouthfeel; perhaps the highlight of the beer for me.

If your looking for a malt-centric beer to cuddle up to while waiting for Santa, this may be a good stocking stuffer.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale from Ninkasi Brewing Company