Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Sleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt AleSleigh'r Dark Doüble Alt Ale

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Altbier |  7.20% ABV

Called 'Dark Double Alt' on the label.

Ninkasi website:
"7.2% alc./vol. 50 ibus."

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-08-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

01-01-2012 21:17:44 | More by beerme626
OregonPaul

4.68/5  rDev +24.5%

If you like Malty winter beers this is for you. It is a wonderful departure from the typical over hopped holiday ales. It's simply not overdone making it a joy to have and have and have. Although I usually say away from cold winter brews, I find this one enjoyable served at a typical fridge temp. Buy as much as you can...

11-21-2010 05:04:46 | More by OregonPaul
mistaya

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally had a chance to open my growler of Sleigh'r which had apparently done 30 days in bourbon casks before I had gotten it. Very, very nice. It had been in the growler aging for about a month on a road trip to Albuquerque. Waiting for the right moment to open tonight in rainy Oregon. It poured with a lovely brown head, with the aroma of bourbon. Great mouth feel lots of maltiness from the bourbon and simple hopping and generous use of Munich and Vienna malts , a true double alt. I'd missed the regular Sleigh'r last year, but still remember the 2008. The added aging in whisky casks made this a truly wonderful surprise. A bit better than my keg of the great 2010.

Serving type: growler

03-05-2014 04:46:20 | More by phys1028
electricfields

Idaho

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Dark red, almost black, with a foamy cream-colored head.

S: Caramel, nuts, some sort of flowery hops. Definitely not used to smelling a combination like this. This is a new style to me, but so far I like this.

T: Sweet roasted malts, a little bit of nuttiness. There's a nice floral hop bitterness underneath it.

M: The carbonation might be a bit much on any other beer, but it's good here. Helps everything down and feels good on the tongue.

D: I'm farther down this beer than I realized between when I started this review and now. It's really delicious.

12-03-2009 06:37:30 | More by electricfields
BastardKing24

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first tried this beer while in Idaho on a search for a new home. I had never heard of it and gave it a try, and I enjoyed it immensely. If I could drink this all the time, for the price, well I think I'll get it whenever I can when its available. Its that good.

Pours a deep red, almost black but can see some light through it. Decent size head that falls to a ring with some bubbles. Heavy lacing on the side of glass throughout drinking it.

Smell is roasted barley and specialty malts. Some rye bread, some coffee, and bittering hops.

Taste is very good with good amount of bitter from malt, which I am a fan of. Big roasty flavor with a bready, malty, caramel like flavor in the middle, with a short finish of bittering hops. Also a tad bit of cherry flavor as well if you dig in. 7.2 abv hits the spot as I like beer that gives me a buzz for the price. Very clean taste overall, and I can't find any off flavors.

It's got medium carbonation, with a kind of light mouthfeel. Little can be said about the style as I've only had a few alt ales, most of which were very good. This is just a great winter warmer beer that is readily available on the west coast.

Over all I have to recommend this to anyone that likes darker sessionable beers. It's almost in the realm of a stout or porter, but not quite there.

12-19-2013 04:35:23 | More by BastardKing24
ricke49

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

appearance - nice dark red color with a moderate head

smell - somewhat subdued compared to other Ninkasi offerings, primarily because of a minor amount of hop influence.

taste - a very smooth nicely balance malty flavor with some sweetness, clipped off just right by a background hop note.

mouthfeel - silky smooth

drinkability - excellent....perfect for a 7.2 abv brew - just up to the point of being boozy, without being so.

This is a delightful fall/winter beer, and my favorite Ninkasi brew to date. Reasonably good buy at $3.59 per bomber (still that's eqivalant to $11.75 per six-pack....which seems real high when I can pick up Jubelale for a $7 per six-pack all winter long).

10-15-2010 01:51:41 | More by ricke49
ficknish

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

A - Deep brown. Almost completely opaque. Moderate head and lacing.

S - Toasty malts. Sweetness and spices.

T - Roasted malty sweetness. Toffee and caramel. Deep and complex flavors. Little to no hop flavor, but nice hop bitterness.

M - Surprisingly light and drinkable. Lingering bitterness.

O - Liking this beer a lot. Definitely on the malty side, but has a nice slight spice and long bitterness. I like the warm balance it creates with the alcohol. Went great with my lamb sausage. Sweet beer, smoky lamb.

11-12-2011 22:34:52 | More by ficknish
mj001jk

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours dark with a thick and creamy hazel-colored foam. Coffee, roasted marshmallows, caramel and a whiff of fresh hops escape the rim and hit my nose. Well balanced and fresh smelling which is nice and surprising.

The smooth nose continues on the palate where each component of roasted malts, hops and alcohol blend harmoniously, creating a very enjoyable beer; especially if you happen to sit in front of a fireplace during a cold winter night. It is delicate, yet robust in its composition, successfully creating an alt beer which has gone to the Dark Side.

10-10-2010 04:46:41 | More by mj001jk
hopqaman

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Being a slayer fan I was super excited about this one.

A: pours an extremely dark brown with a very thin quickly disapating white head.

S: Not much going on in the nose. A bit of nuttiness, caramel malts, and a bit of cocoa Smells a bit festive would be a good way to describe this. Nothing overpowering.

T: nutty, a bit malty with slight coffee notes. with a very pronounced hop bitterness at the end that surprised me because I couldn't detect any hops in he nose. I like it a lot.

M: thin carbonation wish it was a bit more viscous. It left my lips a bit sticky.

Overall: I had high hopes for a beer that bared the name of the almighty thrash lords known as slayer. It did not let me down. I need to blast some altar of sacrifice while I enjoy this. I'd recommend this beer to any metal or hop head.

11-16-2013 07:07:22 | More by hopqaman