Spring Reign - Ninkasi Brewing Company

American Blonde Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Ninkasi website:
"6% alc./vol. 38 ibus."

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-13-2009)

3.11/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - medium golden color, with about two fingers' worth of foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - slightly musky aroma, but with a hint of citrus. Definitely more malty than hoppy, at least in the aroma.

Taste - sweet sense of maltiness to begin with, but quickly turns bitter. I can't quite taste the hops, but you can certainly feel them in the taste, which seems a little strong for this style.

Mouthfeel - medium body, a little on the creamy side.

Overall - Not a bad brew, but seems a little off for this style. Not bad in general though.

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this in a big ol' bottle that was given to me as a gift. A Portland local said it was one of the more popular breweries at the time (Spring 2013) so I was a bit excited. Can't testify for said person's beer IQ though.

Just a quick review of this beer - I was in awe by the color. It was a deep beautiful orange- I was expecting it to be a much more pale beer. The smell was floral and hoppy without much else being present. That's how it drank as well. Pretty simple, basic pale ale. I could see myself drinking these pretty easily, but not a beer I'd go out of my way to find.

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz : tulip

Hazy golden wheat colored with a foamy, off white head, nice lacing.

Light floral, biscuit in the nose.

Palate follows the nose with toasty, biscuit malts and earthy, floral, herbal hops,

Medium body, foamy carbonation.

An interesting pale ale, or blonde, or whatever you want to call it. It seems more of an English take on the style, and with that in mind, is quite pleasant.

3.48/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce stubby in a Shaker pint glass. A moderate pour produces about 3/4 inch of frothy, creamy, light tan head, fed by multiple queues of rising carbonation that cause it to stick around for awhile. The lace clings to the glass in thick rings. The color is a medium dark, reddish-golden.

I don't get a real strong hop smell in the aroma, but my sense of smell is quite bad, leaving me to rely on taste-aroma and burps. Nevertheless, floral and earthy hops are evident in the overall taste, which is relatively well-balanced, with a malty sweetness counterpoised by moderate hop bitterness. I detect some fruitiness, but I can't quite describe the fruit- it is somewhat like a semi-sweet apple. I like that I can detect at least some flavors like this, and not just hops...The mouthfeel is fairly pleasant, partially on account of the froth.

Overall, a pretty good beer. Some of the beers from this brewery are a bit hoppy for my taste, but this one is pretty close to what I prefer. It's also a bit more ale-like than some other "blonde" ales that I've tried.

Spring Reign from Ninkasi Brewing Company