Radiant Summer Ale - Ninkasi Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 06-04-2009

6% alc./vol. 40 IBUs
Millenium, Galena, Northern Brewer, Liberty hops. Dry-hopped with Liberty.
to view more.
Ratings: 230 | Reviews: 87
Reviews by bitterthebetter:
4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

pours a light golden orange with white head

citrus, pine, biscuity malt, slight resiny notes

grapefruit upfront with solid pine and resiny hops leading to a slight bready malt body. somewhat dry hop finish

light bodied, solid hops without being too strong but with a strong, hoppy, slightly spicy finish

smooth, crisp, refreshing delicious. a great summer pale, not as light as the spring reign

3.72/5  rDev +6%

Today I had dental work done. That sucked. But now I have beer, which doesn't suck.

Tonight I went with this beer because it was cheap and not too strong and I've liked Ninkasi's brews in the past.

APPEARANCE: Mostly clear golden orange...somewhere around SRM 9. There's some sediment floating around in the bottle that make me think I'm about to drink a Belgian Golden Ale or something. I can't recall seeing sediment in a pale ale.

NOSE: Straw, grass, mild lemon/lime that seems to get more pronounced with each smell. Yeast. Reminds me a little of a saison. I really love the aroma of this, though it's not what I was expecting.

TASTE: Not too much going on. Sweet malt, faint breadiness. There's that citrus zest from the nose. It says on the bottle the hops are earthy and floral - both are accurate but I'd say it's the latter that shines more. Perfume/fragrant. It's a little on the astringent side.

MOUTHFEEL: Light bodied and lots of carbonation.

FINISH: Very dry, with a citrusy/fragrant astringency. Not enough to be an immediate turnoff, but I don't really like the finish.

OVERALL: Radiant is okay. Nothing special, but not bad, either. I love the nose on this beer, and I really enjoy the mouthfeel. This would be a lovely summer-time beer, and if they sold it in smaller bottles (or even cans) I'd be inclined to pick it up from time to time. But I feel the floral/fragrant hops are just a bit too much. I'd recommend this beer, but it's not their best.

75/100

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

One of my favorite summer beers. Looks a dark amber, good carbonation. Aroma was sweet.

Taste, like an amber and a pale ale. More caramel than I've ever seen in a summer beer, all for the better. Somehow, it will remain light and not a heavy mouthfeel at any point.

The hopping is ample for style and season. Dig the smoothness of liberty hops, that yet, impart the mildest spice. Points for being a unique summer ale that isn't overly reliant (if at all) on lemon. Great price $3.99 a bomber.

3.57/5  rDev +1.7%

22 oz. bomber poured into a straight pint glass.

A: Golden amber color with one inch head of foam with nice lacing. Unfiltered particles present in the beer.

S: Citrus and pine notes are up front, but there is a light aroma of honey and wheat present.

T: Bitter pale flavor of lemon and wheat with a kick of pine. Astringent bitter aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation with some bitterness.

O: Nice pine heavy American Pale Ale. Reminds me of the idea of a Northwest Pale Ale: hoppier than a standard APA, but not as strong as an IPA. However, there is a bit too much of a bitter aftertaste that lingers in the back of your mouth.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

22oz Bottle from John's Marketplace.

Pours a hazy amber with a golden base. Maybe a half-finger of head that quickly dissipated.

Light amounts of hop in the smell. Primarily grapefruit-dominated citrus. Tiny bit of yeasty malt waving hi from the back, but all-in-all, it's not a heavily scented beer.

Oddly enough, the taste is a complete reverse of the smell. You get the malt first before the dominant grapefruit-hop bitterness storms in and demands notice. I kind of like the reversal. Solidly bitter finish - 40 IBUs says the website, this feels a bit more than that.

Regarding the mouthfeel, this is what I would call semi-aggressive. It's not smooth and silky - the bitter finish sticks around for a bit. If lingering, hoppy-finishes are your thing, this may be one you want to try.

I don't think this is a several-pint beer unless you're eating something to go along with it. Worth a try, but I wouldn't weep if you chose something else on the menu.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Split a bottle of this reddish pale ale with a couple friends. It reminded me a bit of a Ringwood pale ale for the subtle candy fruit flavor rolling under the dry, bitter citrus hops. The body was thinner than most pale ales, making for an easy-drinking summer beer with a good kick of hops.

2.19/5  rDev -37.6%

Ninkasi Ninkasi...what is happening?! I was so excited about the summer ale release and it was even more disappointing than their Spring Reign. The appearance was a nice golden color with a thick, bubbly white head. It didn't really have a smell. If there was any smell it was slightly of unbaked bread. The taste was so uncomplicated...it started out tasting like yeast and ended off tasting like detergent. I'm not sure there were hops or malt in this recipe. I really could barely finish my pint of it. Their last seasonal releases (Oatis, Sleig'r) were sooo great and then spring and summer have been very disappointing.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Picked up at the Bier Stein, and drank from my Sierra Nevada pint glass.

A: A medium reddish hue with a touch of brown and gold mixed in. Very nice lacing all the way down the glass. There was some sediments at the bottom of the glass, which I don't know what it was, but I'm assuming and hoping this wasn't a bad thing.

S: Not a really a spice bomb, but I could really get a whiff of some hops. At 40 IBU's, I'm surprised this didn't smell more bitter.

T: Very citrusy and clover-like. The hops were blended nicely, and it didn't leave a bad aftertaste.

M: I felt this was an easy drinker. It went down rather well.

O: Refreshing, cool, calm. These are some of the words I describe myself while drinking this beer. i would really like to try this one again, and I'm looking forward to it.

3.56/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark, slightly hazy, amber color with a small head. The head that does form has good retention before settling to a thin cap. Nice amount of lacing is left on the glass. Rather timid aroma of grapefruit and lemon. Some malt aroma is also detected. Smells refreshing at least. Starts with a citrus hop flavor before some sweet malt makes an appearance. Finishes fairly bitter. Bitterness is moderate to high for an APA. Has a nice body and texture with a carbonation that keeps it lively without making things harsh. A good APA with some bitter bite.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%

S: Wheat doughiness, slight orange fruitiness, slightly tart sweet smelling.

L: Slight hazy orange, white creamy head that dissipates to a ring of foam and dusting. Good lacing.

T: Slightly sweet and slightly tart wheatness. Slightly spicy bitterness yielding to some caramel sweetness. Touch toasty. Finishes fairly dry with some residual herbal spiciness.

M: Medium carbonation, medium low body.

Ok overall, a little dryer and a poor man's Oberon.

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

650ml bottle.

A: cloudy gold/copper, with a big billowy head that slowly dissipates leaving lots of lacing around the glass.
S: some citrusy hop notes, a bit of grassiness, some floral notes.
T: This seems more like an IPA than a pale ale to me. In other words, I actually kind of like it.
F: medium/thin, crisp.
O: I wouldn't buy this again, but it's certainly not awful or anything. I just didn't love it.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

I would think that this would be a universally liked drinkable beer. Very appealing and drinkable while offering complexity and real flavor and character. Most Ninkasa brews are good, this one very good. I believe that this is an unappreciated and under rated brewery.

Pours crystal clear bright orange amber with a thick, firm, pillowy long lasting head.

Nose is candi sugar, cooked bright stone fruit, hints of fresh pear-nice.

Mouthfeel is thin/medium bodied but great balance with light carbonation, a hint too light.

Flavors are appealing, layered and complex. Front palate of slightly fruity/sweet cooked fruit that goes right to big burnt toast bitter, toasted grains and fresh bitter coffee - very appealing and inviting.

Finish is burnt toast, bitter roasted grain, and toasty coffee bean. Long end finish of hints of bitter pine. Quite nice and likely good to go with lots of different food flavor profiles.

3.98/5  rDev +13.4%

Finally getting to try this... love Ninkasi stuff... especially their Tricerahops! No freshness date...

- Such light cloudiness.. dark copper color with bright white head... quickly down to some serious lacing...

- Sweet earthy smell.. very unique.. some fruit, banana.. zesty hop... pine.. hard to pinpoint

- Very light for a 6% brew... caramel malt.. sweet.. little bit of lemon zest sitting on top of it all.. some bitter hop, but not too much... well balanced and light...

- Bit tart n' dry, but overall a great feel...

- Very drinkable.. and to guess that this is 6% ... it's just not there! Overall a fantastic light seasonal!

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

I saw this beer for the first time yesterday at Boise Coop here in Boise's Northend....I feel in love with Ninkasi at Mnt. Bike OR last year. (Long day of riding with a Ninkasi at the end of the day, life really doesn't get better...)

pours orange in color or copper. with a white head. The smell is slight hoppy with a sugar fruity smell. Pleaseant but not strong.

Taste is good. I really like it. It rolls into a wheat aftertaste which I am just not a big fan of.

Mouthfeel is fine.

Overall I like this beer and I think it will taste even better on a hot summer day if we ever get summer here in Boise. I hope they have it on tap this year at MBO.

Thanks for a nice beer. Worship the GODDESS...

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

22oz bottle into pint glass.

I have been really liking the Ninkasi brews, and this Radiant fits. I think it has a nice balanced color, and very balanced taste. Slow and few carbonation bubbles, light sticky lace.

Overall for me, a nice summer brew. Goes down nice after a hard day of summer yard work.

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

Found this in the depths of a local grocery store, I am sure there are not many of there lying around anymore.

A- Pours a deep copper color with a thin white head that leaves some bubbles floating on top that stick around.

S- Has a very fresh smell but it is hard to get much from it other then the light citrus scents since it is just out of the fridge. I will add more once I let it warm up. The smell gets a bit floral as it gets warmer.

T- Has a fresh fruityness to it that brings out the citrus from the hops. The malt is smooth. There is some slight alcohol I can taste that may be masked a bit more if I let it warm but I am not sure. So far this is a pretty standard pale. Nothing too special.

M- The mouthfeel is so-so. The carbonation is a bit high but it does go down without too much bite.

D- With only 6% ABV I could drink this fairly easily but there is certainly more enjoyable beers in this style and ABV.

3.38/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 picked up at Brewforia today... Cool to see this one... Poured into my Delirium goblet.

1" eggshell head... splotchy lace atop a hazy orange brew.

Nose is malty with some yeasty fruitiness... not a whole lot in the way of hops.. mild citrus.

Flavor begins with a descent hoppy bitterness.. then a thicker than expected maltiness... a little toasted malt.. the citrus hops are better than the aroma.. the esters remind me of lite apricot.. pithy grapefruit shows a bit as it warms, but overall, this is a just average brew.

Glad I got a chance to try it.. but I would expect better... I will revisit this one next time I get a chance at a really fresh bottle.

3.5/3/3.5/3.5/3.5

3.33/5  rDev -5.1%

Review from 6/2011 notes. Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a clear orange amber. Nice one finger off-white head and good lacing. Nice looking. Light caramel malt and light fruit aroma. Sweet caramel malt start, grassy, citrus middle then transitions into an abrupt hop bite. Not well integrated. Nice medium body, individual components are nice, but not a good flavor progression.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got this in a variety pack of Ninkasi beers from Costco.

Appearance- copper color, nice size head, nice lacing

Smell- floral hops, some malt

Taste- floral, citrus hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was very good. Definitely would drink this one again!

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Picked this up in Ponderay, ID. Came in a 22 oz. brown bomber. Pours out a hazed amber hue, short tight foamy off-white head that dissipates quickly.

Bright citrusy hops on the nose, with some rich bready malt balancing it out.

Rich bready malt up front in the flavour, augmented with citrusy, piney, herbal hops throughout, the latter of which lingers on into the aftertaste like the floor of a pine forest. For an APA this stuff has some balls to it.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, somewhat watery texture, with some heft from the carbonation at least.

While I enjoyed this for the most part, by the time I finished the bottle I had hit a ho-hum opinion of it. It has a decent hop kick, and the malt manages to hold some presence, however it seems to fall short of its true potential. Good for a hop fix nonetheless.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into Walking Man Brewing pint glass. No best by date.

A: Hazy orange amber, definitely not clear but not overly opaque either. Pours a nice fluffy white head that leaves pretty good lacing throughout glass, and head retention is pretty good, better than most pale ales.

S: Not too much going on here, would have liked a little more from this, Ninkasi is usually known for its big floral hop aromas....but this is pretty simple, grapefruit and lemon backed up by a biscuit malt and yeast.

T: Mmmm...pretty good, a little bigger flavor than I expected. Grapefruit and lemon hit the palate first and then a faint malty bread mid palate and the finish comes back hard with pine/grapefruit again. Lots of grapefruit, maybe a little too much for my taste, it really lingers on the finish. Good, but this beer suffers from being a little to one-note in my opinion. Could use a little more malt to balance it...

M: Medium body, heavier than most pales. Right amount of carbonation, just needs a little more sweet malt to balance it out. The finish is drier than I would like for a summer ale/pale ale. A little too much bitterness (grapefruit) to be truly satisfying.

D: Being as dry as it is and so one note it becomes a little monotonous and the bitterness makes it just a little overwhelming for the palate. I love hops and the bitterness that comes with them, but you have to balance it with the malt to make a drinkable ale. This one needs more balance.

3.04/5  rDev -13.4%

A- golden-orange. Head disapates quickly. Medium carbonation.

S- very little. No noticeable hops or malt.

T- simple. clean. some lingering bitterness in the finish.

M- medium-light body.

O - nothing special. Wish there was more of something. With such a plain beer unfortunately some heat from the alcohol is noticeable in the finish.

Would not buy this again.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into Nonic. Tasted several times from taps with consistent results.

A - Nice, clear, copper hue with a good head and average lace.

S - good, fresh pale ale nose with lots of summer fruit, some malts and hops to round things out.

T - more of the same summery goodness, fresh tree fruits, some spice and hops.

M - mild and smooth, more of an American Pale Ale style than either a British Pale Ale or a traditional American summer ale.

D - pretty serious despite being labeled as a 'summer' ale. Nonetheless it is tasty and smooth with nice balance.

3.27/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear amber colored ale with a small white colored head. This one has a distinct orange color. It is in the spectrum I like to call IPA Orange.

Smells of toasted grain and mild herbal hops. Faint grapefruit aroma.

Starts out dry and woody. Dry and a little more bitter than I would have expected. Mildly citrus mostly grapefruit with some soda cracker toasted wheat flavor. Slightly more bitter than I would like but it is far from a bad beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a decent beer, it could be slightly less bitter but it is a good beer if you like a very dry pale ale.

3.98/5  rDev +13.4%

Since most reviews are of the same format I prefer narrative. I purchased this beer from a bottle and poured in pint glass. Pours medium dark amber. Small head. smell is citrus, and hoppy, smell of fresh hops. Very drinkable considering a 6% ABV, A great summer ale and just added another drink to my summer beach list. Tasty and refreshing. Not overbearing. I look forward to drinking this ale again.

to view more.