Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with lavender, tarragon, and heather.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 03-14-2010

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 7
3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked this up tonight at Brewforia... shared with inflatablechair.. poured into my wide Kasteel goblet..

Nice 2 finger dark tan head... black beer with a nice retention... descent lacing..

It smells dark... pretty traditional RIS aromas... lite coffee... dark cocoa... sweet cherries and other fruity esters .. really nothing special

Apparently there is lavender and heatherused in the mix.. Sam says he is getting some "herbal" qualities.. I'm not.. dark chocolate with a fair amount of dried fruit esters... great body seems a bit chewy... nice carbonation.. Cocoa grows with the warmth...

This just seems about right for the standard PNW RiS... okay across the board.. but the flavors seem to meld better with warmt .... seems too sweet... descent.. ehhh..

4/3/4/4/4

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Served in fluted tulip. Poured a solid black with about a half-inch of light brown head that had low retention and OK lacing.

The aroma was basically malty with some floral, herbal and spice notes. Most of the flavors were dominated by the herbal and floral notes, I could get some of the malty grain and there was a bit of roasty finish.

The body was OK, solid but a bit thin. I'm a little unsure about the drinkability, the one I had was OK, but I'm not sure about having more than one.

Overall, an interesting brew that's probably not for everyone. Worth a shot if you see it.

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Front Door, Boise.

This was an attractive beer, it looked like a stout should in snifter, dark opaque color and a one finger head with good retention.

Smell in kind of unconventional (ha) for a stout, I don't pick up on a lot of coffee. There is some cocoa presence and the malt is there too. Also, there is a smell I would call minty or clean.

This beer doesn't taste all that bad, but isn't anything special, outside of the clean minty taste and smell. I described it to my buddy as 'detergent-y'. It wasn't until today that I discovered that this beer is brewed with heather and lavender. Now I don't feel crazy.

Beer feels good and chewy but not sticky, is smooth and full bodied.

The lavender/heather components don't taste bad, they just aren't my favorite.

Unconventionale from Ninkasi Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.