Critical Hit - Ninkasi Brewing Company
Displayed for educational use only; do not reuse.
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 20 | Display Reviews Only:
3.38/5 rDev -7.4%
I tried the 2010 Reserve. Served from a 22-oz. bottle into a large tumbler. This is one to let warm up a bit before you drink it.
A: Cloudy, amber pour. Nice head, fades fairly quickly leaving yeasty bubbles. Some lace but not that much on side of glass.
S: Strong alcohol scent. Caramel, honey aroma, with a floral, piney hops scent on the back end. Dried apricots/raisins, too.
T: High alcohol content is apparent. This would be good to set down for a couple more years I think. Sweet and sour flavor, with some umami underneath. Finishes quite bitter with the hops.
M: This is a chewy beer, with a medium-high amount of carbonation. Alcohol content makes it almost more like drinking a mead.
O: I liked this big beer qutie a bit. I have one more bottle, that I am going to age until XMas 2013.
01-16-2012 03:15:36 | More by PacNWDad
3.55/5 rDev -2.7%
- A rather clear amber colored pour. About a finger of off-white foamy head which has settled to a big bubbly spotty mess in the glass. Not bad looking at all, but not what I really expected. I am used to more cloudy, darker barleywines.
- Sweet caramel grain notes which seems to be rather tucked away in the brew. Certainly some strong alcohol and rubbing alcohol aromas. There is a nice fruity and citrus-like hop presence as well. Seems hot and fresh.
- Sweet malts, bready caramel and quite biscuity. Bitter grassy hops with an earthy flare. The alcohol presence is quite noticeable and hot.. but the flavor isn't quite rubbing alcohol.. though close. It does have a character of its own which is hard to describe. Overall hot, and needs to sit.
Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Nice medium to full body and is a little creamy and well carbonated. It's explosive bitterness really dries the tongue, but the sweetness lends a lasting chewy character. Overall quite a decent feel to it.
- Not bad.. and in usual Ninkasi tradition, this puppy is bitter! Lots of early boil hops going on here. It's a bit strong, and could certainly use some time in a cold cellar. Though I don't feel this barleywine would get any better, it just may calm down the alcohol notes a bit. Certainly a good attempt though.
01-07-2012 01:18:43 | More by Docer
3.33/5 rDev -8.8%
Poured into an 8oz Snifter at the Bier Stein
A - Ruddy deep amber almost red w/ nice off-white head that disipates into a thin cap. Small amount of lacing, nice legs. Fairly clear.
S - Not much to the smell for a Ninkasi or an American BW. Lots of sweet malts, very faint citrus, not much hops in the nose. Kinda earthy. Some floral hops as it warms. Slight oxidation.
T - Big malt tast, caramel, sweet dark fruits, some fig and dates. Sweet, with a big bitter finish. Warming sensation, spicy alcohol under the tongue, though the almost 12% is still well hidden until it warms up some.
M - Nice full body, good carbonation, sweet w/ a slightyly dryish bitter finish, prickles and burns under the tongue. Bitterness lingers quite a while after finishing.
O - Not my favorite, but a good beer none the less. I enjoyed it. I would have another (not right now mind you) if I find it again and am in the mood for something that big and heavy. Solid BW, but still kinda low on the hops beyond bittering.
07-29-2011 21:21:15 | More by jbakajust1
Critical Hit from Ninkasi Brewing Company
83 out of 100 based on 55 ratings.