Imperiale High Gravity Stout - Ninkasi Brewing Company

good

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: flexabull on 11-05-2011)
oregone

11-27-2012 17:12:23 | More by oregone
jessicapreuss

Brazil

3.25/5  rDev -11%

11-23-2012 21:29:46 | More by jessicapreuss
barleywinefiend

3.03/5  rDev -17%

A: Poured a very deep brownish color with a moderately sized deep tan head that fades slowly leaving some bubbles and light lacing

S: Smells of chocolate and roastiness, a little booze sting and pretty simple.

T: Taste is an initial chocolate, roast, which carries on start to finish and seems to be th ceterpiece of another boring Ninkasi beer. The finish is rather mundayne with some bitterness, roast and guess what? Cocoa. A little booziness stings on the end.

M: Moderate to full bodied, well carbonated, nothing impressive, not really decadent or appealing.

O: Average at best. I consumed Abyss prior to this and it really showed just how mediocre this beer is.

11-22-2012 16:23:09 | More by barleywinefiend

10-28-2012 21:13:40 | More by Jules11788
kevgod

10-18-2012 04:33:46 | More by kevgod
ngeunit1

A - Pours a dark brown-black with a finger of frothy chocolate colored head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of roasted chocolate malts with some coffee, dark fruit, molasses, anise, vanilla, and a touch of earthy hops.

T - Starts off with a mix of roasted chocolate malts, dark fruits, molasses, anise, and some vanilla. Through the middle, some coffee comes through with some more dark fruits and some earthy hops. The finish is a mix of roasted chocolate malts, coffee, molasses, dark fruits, and some earthy hops.

M - Medium-full bodied with mild carbonation. Feels smooth and a bit thick with a sweet, roasted, and warming finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice overall balance, could have maybe used a touch more body.

09-27-2012 05:58:02 | More by ngeunit1
XRAIG

09-24-2012 23:02:45 | More by XRAIG
N3rdM3t4l

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

A little off for a review because this bottle has been aging since february and it is september. Bomber iu nto standard pint.

A: not much head and a pretty sparse cap although there is an average sized ring around the glass. Completley opaque but the thinnest layer on the top where I can just barley see through is deep amber like the bottle it came in. the head when there was some was mocha brown and looked good but there just wasn't much of it.

S: roasty and sweet smelling. Hints of dark fruit and caramelized goodness. No hop on the nose nor any alcohol. It smells divine.

T: sweet, those hints of dark fruit still present in the taste. Big rosty flavor and notes of vanilla. Sweet and rich. Finishes just a tad bitter, I can't tell if that is hop or burnt malt though. the bitter fades away to a slight chocolate flavor and a bit nore of that vanilla. I like this a lot, I don't remember the young bottle I had in december very much but this is good stuff.

M: full bodied, I really could eat it with a spoon ita like maple syrup almost. With such a high abv I am surprised it is so thick. Right on for the style.

O: not as amazing as the bourbon barrel aged version I had at the taproom but still quite good. I reccomend it to big beer lovers.

09-09-2012 23:51:45 | More by N3rdM3t4l

Beer21

05-10-2012 22:55:56 | More by Beer21
SpdKilz

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

A big thanks to James (cavemanlawyer) for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a dark black into a tulip with less than a finger of tan head.

Smell – Heavy caramel, malt, coffee, slight hops, and molasses.

Taste – Slight char up front, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits such as prunes, and a bit of vanilla.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Overall – Not a bad stout…I feel it should be rated a bit higher than it is.

04-23-2012 03:12:09 | More by SpdKilz

Connecticut

04-01-2012 23:11:50 | More by amnesia85
MaltsOfGlory

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours about a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is very dark, I might go as far as to say that it's not even light brown, just strait brown. One of the darkest heads I've seen in a while. The head isn't really creamy looking at all, it is slightly pillow looking. Maybe a tiny bit soapy looking, but overall it just looks like your standard head, that has no real distinguishing characteristics about it. Mostly small bubbles, a few medium ones scattered here and there though. Head retention isn't bad, I still have a half of the original head left. The lacing looks like it will be very nice, but we will have to see for sure as I get down the glass. The body is just pitch black, damn this is a dark beer. Even when held up to the light, all I get is the slightest brown around some of the edges. I cannot see the carbonation due to the color. Visibility through the beer is zero. Overall it's a pretty nice looking beer so far, it looks very hefty. It for sure looks like a 9.1% beer. We will see how the lacing goes, but I like the appearance so far. The smell is chocolaty, malty, rich. I get a little alcohol on the nose, but for sure not as much as a rough high gravity beer would be, so that's good. Very light sweet smell, as well as a very light sour smell, probably from the hops. I'm surprised the sweetness isn't a bigger smell, considering the high gravity and heavy malts. It's not a bad thing necessarily, but it could prove to be rough around the edges without enough sweetness. Perhaps a little coffee in here too. Maybe even some dark fruit, like black cherries? Overall this is a good smelling beer, but my main problem is that the smell just isn't that huge. It's a 9.1% STOUT, I mean, I feel like the smell should just punch me in the nose, and it's not. It's not a bad smell by any means, it's a good smell with nice flavors coming through, but it's not anything special because I can't smell that much. I think I'll give it a 4, I was contemplating 3.5, but it's for sure better than that. Well that flavor is a little disappointing. I take my first sip, and....I really don't know what's going on here, it's very abnormal. The first thing I get is kind of a sweet and salty sourness. Like it taste remotely what a high gravity stout might taste like, but way too far with the saltiness, and not enough sweetness and other flavors. I mean I suppose those are the salty-like hops I'm tasting? I don't know. Malts really take a back seat in this beer, which is never good in a stout. It almost has a tangy taste to it to, like there is something weird about this beer. I mean with all that being said, it's still obviously a quality micro brew. It's not a bad beer, it's just really weird, not really my cup of tea, or beer. One thing that is nice is that you barely taste that 9.1%, it's hardly there at all. Those weird flavors are kind of starting to settle down now, the sour/salty flavor is more of a hop flavor now, with a little bitterness. I guess the malts have come out a little more, but not much. There is still that overall weird feeling here. I really don't know how to grade this because it's not terrible, it's a good beer, but there are a lot of weird things going on. It's between a 3.5 and a 4, and I really have no idea which one to go with, I'll wait until the beer warms I suppose. The mouthfeel isn't bad. The carbonation is pretty damn low, which is typical for the style, but this may be a little bit too low. The body on the other hand is way to thin for the style, not liking the body at all, it's thin and in no way thick. A 3.5 is actually a little generous for the mouthfeel, even though it's not bad, it's really a 3. The drinkability is extremely good considering the beer is 9.1% ABV. I mean it really tastes and drinks like a 6% or 7% beer, nothing more than that for sure. Great drinkability for the style. Overall this is a very confusing beer, it's a quality brew, but a lot of flavors are very odd. Overall a good beer, but not one I will be dying to have again.

The appearance is a little hard because the body was great, the head was good, and the lacing was good, but not great. The lacing turned out to be average, it was pretty patchy. I mean I guess it followed me all the way down the glass, but by the time we got there it was barely lacing anymore. I think a 4 is fair considering the good head and great body, mediocre lacing equals a 4 total.

As far as taste, damn...I was really expecting myself to give this beer a 3.5 for taste cause of all the weird crap. However, that stuff dumbed down a bit. Also, it is a quality brew, any way you slice it. I'm going to give it a 4 and balance things out by giving it a 3.5 overall. Let it be know that it BARELY got a 4.

03-15-2012 09:52:05 | More by MaltsOfGlory

03-10-2012 06:07:29 | More by hannaho
Hophead101

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz bottle labeled #7 courtesy of flexabull

A: 3.5 pours a dark brown nearly black color with an off white head. not much of a head and what was there didn't really last all that long, but was quite bubbly. left a nice collar around the glass and the eventual lacing was not much.
S: 3.5 strong malt smell, caramel, nuts, faint cherry, smoke, molasses and faint chocolate. lots of little things going on but nothing overwhelming. no hops to pick up on.
T: 3.5 much more hops in the taste that the smell. strong malt taste similar to what was found in the aroma. no one taste dominating over the other. a little spice showed up in the taste as well. all in all a very sweet tasting beer.
M: 3.5 a bit on the thinner side. mild carbonation. slight bitterness.
D: 3.5 ok overall. nothing to write home about.

03-07-2012 15:25:55 | More by Hophead101
brotherloco

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

22oz bomber. No date, but I believe this was new as of Winter 2011. Served in a snifter.

Pours almost solid black with a 2 finger dark beige head. Settles to a thin covering. Bits of lacing.

Aroma of chocolate and roasty malt. Some dark fruits. Floral hops pop through as well. A little soy sauce. Some booze.

Flavor is mildly sweet, mixed with a roasted coffee bitterness. Dark fruit flavors from the nose emerge in the middle with a little saltiness. A hoppy, bitter, almost IPA-style finish leads to a roasty bitter aftertaste. Hints of alcohol in the finish, but mostly buried through the flavor.

Medium bodied with medium-low, soft carbonation. A creamy, velvety feel.

I agree with the bottle that this is surprisingly smooth for an Imperial Stout.

03-07-2012 05:12:06 | More by brotherloco