Renewale - 2012 Porter - Ninkasi Brewing Company
Displayed for educational use only; do not reuse.
Ratings: 58 | Reviews: 21 | Display Reviews Only:
Reviews by Bfarr:
3.38/5 rDev -6.9%
Dark brown, thin tan head and poor retention. Roasted and chocolate balanced aroma. Flavor is balanced as well with a strong roasted/coffee flavor up front that mellows to a light herbal finish. A biting, thin feel.
A moderate roasted linger that’s much easier drinking than most since it’s not too heavy. The nice herbal finish gets lost halfway through but an all-around decent beer although the mouthfeel could be a little better.
01-20-2012 22:33:48 | More by Bfarr
More User Reviews:
3.4/5 rDev -6.3%
I do love me some dark porters. Pours black with the thinnest of dark brown around the edges, even when held up to a light. Head is minimal, tan, and sits up top for a minute, and then is gone before you know it.
Lots of roasty notes. Some coffee and bittersweet chocolate, even some smoke.
Tastes more like a stout. It's got the roasted thing down. Very malty, mostly malty; smoke, hops and coffee in the finish.
Creamy. A bit more bitter than I want in a porter. Full-bodied.
I had high expectations for this beer, so I was slightly disappointed that it was only slightly above average. I think this would be better categorized as a stout and I'd have probably given higher marks. Not a bad beer, just not great for the style.
02-27-2012 02:57:01 | More by RickS95
British Columbia (Canada)
4.38/5 rDev +20.7%
Appearance. Dark cola with a small tan head.
Smell. Roasty toasty dark malts, some bitter chocolate.
Taste. Really dark roasted malts, dark roasty coffee. Slight sweetness. Really nice.
Mouthfeel. Medium body with medium carbonation.
Overall. Nice roasty porter here. Just how I like 'em.
01-02-2012 04:44:49 | More by Rutager
3.75/5 rDev +3.3%
- Rich solid colored dark brown porter. Couple fingers of fluffy light light mocha tan head.. settles to a thin spotty creamy blanket, and leaves some lacing all about the glass.
- Very roasty in smell, lots of biscuity and sharp grain, light chocolate, and light bitter coffee notes. Surprisingly quite hoppy with very earthy, grassy, and herbal notes. Smells like this may be quite bitter.
- Indeed it is a very bitter porter, and it is also very good. I love the bitter grassy hops and how zesty bitter it is. Not a very sweet chocolatey malt bill, but more a zesty, crisp, and refreshing porter. I really dig the flavors here. Husky grains with only some light cocoa and coffee. Big resinous hops and earthy flare.
Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Light to medium bodied, and very well carbonated. Bitter dry and a slight bit cloying. Leaves the tongue quite dry for sure. Not an overly creamy porter or sweet porter at all, but more so thinner like an IPA.
- This is a very interesting porter. It is almost more like a CDA. Very bitter and hoppy.. but not on the aroma and finishing end. Light sweetness, but more like a dark lager. Overall it is very crisp and refreshing, and is the kind of beer that would snap you out of a non-drinking kind of mood.
12-25-2011 01:23:11 | More by Docer
2.93/5 rDev -19.3%
Full disclaimer ahead of time. I have a special place in my heart for ninkasi.. Their support of mnt. Bike Or won me over.
Look- black as can be. Very little head and it was gone within seconds. No activity. I mean like not one bubble.
Smell not there. No activity so that didn't bring any smell to the top.
Taste- slight bitter with a little sour and coffee. Burnt coffee. Little chile bite on it as well which I didn't expect.
Feel. Odd feeling of spice.
Overall. Not for me. I won't finish this 12 oz bottle.
12-29-2011 01:59:51 | More by isualum12
4.03/5 rDev +11%
A) Pours with a finger thick head that settles to a thin lacing on top and at the edge of the glass. Dark brown and reddish hued body. Thin sticky lacing on the glass on the drink down.
S) Smoky notes. Earthy. Yeasty.
T) Dark chocolate notes. Smoky. Some good doughy / bready flavors. Mild hop bite toward the finish.
M) Creamy. Smooth. Full body. Gritty feel throughout.
O). A decent porter. I'd definitely drink more.
07-31-2012 04:51:07 | More by u2carew
3.58/5 rDev -1.4%
Making marmalade tonight with the wife and needed a new beer to keep me occupied outside the regimental stirring... poured into my little CC goblet... short lasting tan head... the brew is pretty much black.. at least in the light in the office.
Nose is mild.. decent roastiness .. grainy maltiness makes me think lower abv porter for sure.. slight hints of what think is a spicy hoppiness.
flavor has a nice coffee punch.. but again, it is pretty mild and mixes into the porter qualities ... I am surprised that this doesn't lean to a heavier dark malt push... but I do like the drinkability.. and I never really like porters too much... but this one is well done and certainly very enjoyable.
03-03-2012 06:58:42 | More by JohnGalt1
3.8/5 rDev +4.7%
Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours very dark brown, appearing black. Thin medium off-white head dissipates quickly to a ring, no lacing. Nice aroma of roasted and smoky malt. Flavor dominated by roasted malt and coffee and light hops. Finishes slightly dry and a bit starkly bitter. Overall the flavor is somewhat attenuated, perhaps because of the moderate ABV. Medium bodied. A satisfactory porter, flavors are pleasant but subdued.
01-15-2012 03:54:44 | More by LiquidAmber
3.13/5 rDev -13.8%
Poured from bottle into shaker.
Three fingers off white head. Very dark color.
Strong rich robust smell. Coffee overpowers the nose.
Taste is a lot lighter than expected. Coffee bitterness and a bit tart.
Decent, but nothing special. Maybe I'm not a huge fan of Ninkasi
07-14-2013 23:17:45 | More by Smurf2055
Renewale - 2012 Porter from Ninkasi Brewing Company
82 out of 100 based on 58 ratings.